Your Criteria: Highest THC Or Most Trichs?

MichaelBa6

420 Member
I'm sure this will start a fight but it's a serious question. What is your criteria when buying seeds or clones, very high THC content or bud looking like it's dipped in the sugar dish? Honestly, I've grown some of the best strains with the highest THC from the respective breeders but that does not appear to be the "all in all" to me personally. I'm thinking of changing my strategy to buying seeds that produce bud with tons of frosty trichs. What say you other growers?

My reason for this question is that my last grow was garbage. I smoked over an eighth every night (from 6PM to after midnight) and barely got a buzz. It gave me pain relief; that's the only reason I kept smoking it. The trichs were super tiny, maybe 1/3 the size, and maybe 1/4 the quantity of most of my grows. Thankfully there were only three plants. :bongrip:

@MichaelBa6 , great question and it's a bummer about that last grow turning out to be a dud.

Personally I grow outdoor, three years ago I had a great crop and since then not too good. The past 2 years turned out to be disastrously, two years ago it was the bud rot that ruined the crop due to being exposed to hot humid and wet evenings. Then this past season it was worms, they destroyed most of that crop. I still have some left from that great crop three yrs ago, thanks goodness.
I've been playing with auto's over the past year and though not a great yield, the smoke has been pretty good.

When I search for seeds, I try to diversify between sativa and indica, then I look at and diversify between thc and cbd, high and low percentages of both.

My selection of seeds/strains range from past experiences that I've enjoyed and as well as always getting a couple of strains I've never tried before. I usually put out around 10 to 15 plants which hopefully will give me 5+ lbs of buds.

If any of my plants have that heavy frosty look, then it's a bonus, though outdoor grow's usually don't frosty up, they just get big. At least in my garden.

Nice chatting with you.

being have been smoking off of it since.

I'm sure this will start a fight but it's a serious question. What is your criteria when buying seeds or clones, very high THC content or bud looking like it's dipped in the sugar dish? Honestly, I've grown some of the best strains with the highest THC from the respective breeders but that does not appear to be the "all in all" to me personally. I'm thinking of changing my strategy to buying seeds that produce bud with tons of frosty trichs. What say you other growers?

My reason for this question is that my last grow was garbage. I smoked over an eighth every night (from 6PM to after midnight) and barely got a buzz. It gave me pain relief; that's the only reason I kept smoking it. The trichs were super tiny, maybe 1/3 the size, and maybe 1/4 the quantity of most of my grows. Thankfully there were only three plants. :bongrip:

:welcome: to the community, Michael.

Personally, I believe it's the terpenes that define how you feel rather than the cannabinoids. I have grown a few strains that did nothing for me so I can understand your disappointment.

I try to find out the terpenes of the strains that I know work for me and then I try to find strains with those same terpenes to grow.

I'm sure they will influence the buzz somehow, as vaping terpenes of other herbs also induce certain effects from calming to a bit euphoric.
To me terpenes are also very important cause I just want something that tastes and smells really nice, the high doesn't have to be very strong it's nice if it is, but if it's mild that's also okay, you can always use more.

I'm sure they will influence the buzz somehow, as vaping terpenes of other herbs also induce certain effects from calming to a bit euphoric.
To me terpenes are also very important cause I just want something that tastes and smells really nice, the high doesn't have to be very strong it's nice if it is, but if it's mild that's also okay, you can always use more.
Different Strains have different Terpenes. The Terpenes define the high you will get from it. The THC defines how strong that effect will be. So it's a combination of the two. My favorite Terpenes are Myrcene & Linalool so I look for strains that have those Terps & a high THC content. If you notice in the seedbank pics the frostier looking pics are usually the ones with a higher THC content. My personal feelings are.... the more frost, the better.
264.JPG
253.JPG

What is your criteria when buying seeds or clones, very high THC content or bud looking like it's dipped in the sugar dish?
@Krissi Carbone is showing over in the Draughting Thread that you can significantly increase your "frosting" and therefore the cannabinoids, by following a very simple protocol.

So, now you can make your choices on other factors, whether taste, smell, medicinal terpenes, whatever, and still get your sugar.

@Krissi Carbone is showing over in the Draughting Thread that you can significantly increase your "frosting" and therefore the cannabinoids, by following a very simple protocol.

So, now you can make your choices on other factors, whether taste, smell, medicinal terpenes, whatever, and still get your sugar.
hmm I'm about to start week seven of flower.. so what I feed one last time now and then no more water for 10 days? or well depending on wilt shown?

hmm I'm about to start week seven of flower.. so what I feed one last time now and then no more water for 10 days? or well depending on wilt shown?
That is the concept from what I've read on it. I haven't personally tried it though as of yet. Not so sure I want to using SIP Buckets for my grows.

Hello all! Welcome to the forums Michael. I vape flower. Usually my own, so i have a little control over handling and curing. Having tried a few strains over the years, I'm in agreement with @HashGirl and the rest of this bunch.
I'm a big supporter of the entourage effect. Taking a big puff of fresh, cured flower and tasting heavy Pinene, Myrcene or any terpene is healing on its own I think. If the flower is extra frosty, the flavors are usually intensified. Just an old stoner's opinion.
Stay stoneder.

Yes, based on LWA (Leaf Wilt Angle). You measure with a protractor your target leaf, somewhere mid to lower on the plant, note its current angle and then drought until it is 50% of original angle. Can take 10 days, but it's more about the plant response than time which will vary based on your grow mix.

That is the concept from what I've read on it. I haven't personally tried it though as of yet. Not so sure I want to using SIP Buckets for my grows.
I'm going to try it on a plant currently at week 6, so not quite ready, but soon.

Yes, based on LWA (Leaf Wilt Angle). You measure with a protractor your target leaf, somewhere mid to lower on the plant, note its current angle and then drought until it is 50% of original angle. Can take 10 days, but it's more about the plant response than time which will vary based on your grow mix.

I'm going to try it on a plant currently at week 6, so not quite ready, but soon.
Okay.. I might be up for it, although it's very counter intuitive as well I've only been watering more this flowering phase as the pot gets dry quicker & quicker.. so could be after 5 days as well.
I wouldn't mind increased yield though :p

I remember (barely) reading an old early 70s pamphlet on how to grow "marihuana", where it was stated that the "resin" (triches) was there to protect the flowers during droughts. It only figures that intentionally withholding water would increase trichome production and with it, all the benefits of said frosty goodness. I've got a White Widow droughting outdoors getting frostier as we speak.
Stay stoneder.

Okay.. I might be up for it, although it's very counter intuitive as well I've only been watering more this flowering phase as the pot gets dry quicker & quicker.. so could be after 5 days as well.
I wouldn't mind increased yield though :p
Leave a post over in that thread if you do try it. You'll get lots of help and advice as you go through the process.

Sorry I'm late to the party. Hmu for anything, Azi, thank you for the tag and reference.

I can assure you new friend, you will have more trichome friends after droughting. But we aren't pushy either, to each his own. Tons of info over there though and we would all be happy to watch the magic happen with you. Link is in my signature under my Grow Collection in perpetual journals but I think Azi linked you over earlier, anyway.

Back
Top Bottom