Z's Closet Grow

Zweed

First off before i get this thread started i want to thank Stratlogic's amazing setup and construction threads. They have been a great blueprint to start my own grow efficiently and effectivly. Also both my Propogator and DWC hydro bucket were created using his build pages.

Stratlogic's Hydro Closet ScrOG Grow

Alright so to get this journal started i should give a brief layout of what i have done so far. I should add that this whole build was built more or less as fast as i could with as low of a budget as i could. So im sorry in advance if it seems i was cutting corners. I was trying to make this happen as quick as i possibly could. So with that being said enjoy the journal.

Due to odd depth and shape of my particular closet i have a slightly thinner grow box depth wise but close to double the length wise then Strat's. So im working with a slightly different area. The closet itself is made from MDF board and 2x2's. I used mainly home made brackets, liquid nails, and carpentry screws to assemble it. I also lined the inside of the box with mylar by using elmers spray adhesive. And for those of you who dont know space blankets are mylar. I bought 3 of them from the store for around 2 bucks a pop. Ide say they are around 6' to 6'4" long since height matters the most to a build. As my growbox is 5 1/2 feet tall i only used 2 1/4 blankets to line the entirety of the inside. This could easily be done with 2 since i had made a front board i had wanted to convert into a hinged door. This was cut out because of space issues.

Im using the 6 CFL's of different spectrums with 3 on each powerstrip on each side of the box like Strat recommended in his build. I can vouch that they are indeed perfect for the Veg cycle from all ive seen with them. I plan on using the idea of putting both a 400 MH and 400 HPS lights in to further open up my flowering power. But for right now only CFL's are installed.

I made one of the propogators from the build thread to jump start 4 seeds at a time. I know this might seem like a waste but this way i can pick the healthiest of the group and if any others sprout sell them to any other local growers i know might be interested. Because who will turn down an already growing plant for 10-15. In any case i put mine on a 30min ebb and flow timer and vola all 4 sprouted wonderfully and after a week of sucking up water (And waiting for the rest of the supplies to arrive.) they just sat there chugging along. It was great to see the little guys do so much with a peat moss plug and plain water. In any case by the time transplant time came along the roots were nicely spread throughout the bottom of the propegator. Sadley i diddent get any pictures of them while they were together. But i plan on watching the one i chose closely.

Days: 1-7 Propogator
After using the Damp papertowel trick to get the taproots to show i then placed the little guys into their peat moss pellets. From there i placed them into my 2.5gal Ebb and Flow propegator which was on a 30min on off timer. This was with only water and under CFL light 16/8 to help induce females from what i have read. All 4 seeds took off and within 2 days all had sprouted to the surface. By day 4 all pellets had roots comming out the sides. By day 6 the roots had grown together at the edges of the lid where all the water would sit. By the end of day 7 they were prime for the final pick.

Day 8 Transplant
When i finally chose my cantidate her root was a good 6-8in starting from the underside of the pellet. This was an optimal length as it passed fully through the net bucket into the airated and nutrient filled solution. I used Hydroton pellets to fill my basket and around the plug. And am using advanced nutrients A&B grow for my veg cycle. I added 1 1/2 Tbsp of both A and B to 2gal of water. And i decided to use not only an airstone but a water pump that airates the water as well. I submerged the basket half way in for this starting phase so i could give the roots a chance to take off and grow through the growing medium and left it as that.

Day 9
The plant has taken to the pot like a fish to water. The overall width of the plant has already boosted by about 1/4 the size overnight. Its amazing to see it do so well.

Day 10
The little guy is deffintly rolling with the punches. I can see the bottom most leaves slightly yellowing around the edges while the top leaves are growing bigger and wider every time i see them. So it seems i might have shacked it slightly with the nute heavy water but I think its going to pull through like a champ.

Day 11
Wow, the little guy has made progress that i couldent even imagine. I looked underneath into the top resivoir where the inital taproot was submerged and there are now numerous healthy white roots comming through the medium all over. I see great things in this ones future.

Day 12
Bushy little one is definitly through the woods and on its way to the grandmas curing box. I can only hope that it will be female and not a hermie or male. But for right now im just happy its working so well.

I feel like an overprotective father always checking in on his daughter. But its so fun to be like "I swear its bigger then when i looked an hour ago." Im also trying a little hands on with the plant itself while not messing with the nutrients or anything of that type. I take time to fan the leaves and clean anything i see off them and to use my light meter for the best lighting location. I also have a constant shuffle of music on for it while i am out. Ill try it all for a higher yield and healthier girl.

Well guys im glad to finally get this Journal up and ready to go. Ill have pictures to upload later to add to the grow process. And im also going to try and take weekly pictures to watch her grow and to actually see it. So thanks for tuneing in. Much more to come.:nomo:

never thought to leave some music for my plants...huh, have to try that one.

i'm using almost the same grow plan, so it will be cool to see what your results are too...

:Rasta:

never thought to leave some music for my plants...huh, have to try that one.

i'm using almost the same grow plan, so it will be cool to see what your results are too...

:Rasta:

I dont know if its the nutes or the setup in general but i like to think the music is the reason the plant is blasting in size.

I had taken the other 3 sprouts and put them into soil and let my local grow friend take them on as possible mothers of his own with a kickdown to me with any fem's. And he brought one over to compare against mine. And damn if mine was not the burlier of the 2. The one he brought was also the biggest of the 4 that had grown with the one i chose being the 3rd biggest at that time. Ill get pictures to show the comparison because after seeing my hydro vs his soil ive got to say i doubt that ill go back to anything other then a bigger hydro op.

And thanks for taking a look in here. Seems more lurkers then posters imo. And sorry for the slow picture posting. Modern Warfare 2 has taken over my life after work lol.

Day 13-15

So a few days have passed since my last posts. Not a lot to add in overall other then the rapid growth that i plan on posting pictures of as soon as possible. The leaves look wide and healthy and the roots are developing nicely and the 4th tier of leaves seems only a few days away. Looks like it might be a bushy one but then again its a little early to tell. Anyways i plan on posting all the pictures up tomorrow for the end of first week look over. So i hope you all enjoy.

Shoutout to ya Z! i play music for my ladies too. Right now i've got some ladies in week 7, listening to bob marley to finish up. I play a lot of different varieties of music for them. I play classical, metal, spanish/carribean music, reggae, even a lil tupac. I've let them listen to coldplay, bob dillan, david bowie, madonna, tribe called quest(all the good stuff). I take it easy with the rap cause i've seen studies that they dont like rap, so i am careful and make sure its good stuff. It might sound crazy but I really think they look happier on days when the music is on. I've only on my second grow and have used music for both so I dont know the difference without, but they seriously do look happy with it..

+rep to you, its been a while since i saw someone admit they play music for their ladies.

Alright so i got the pictures up finally so here they are. Amazing to see in 5 days time in growth. Anyways here ya go.

Hydro02.jpg

Hydro03.jpg

Hydro04.jpg

Hydro05.jpg

A nice little lineup of pictures for the first day in the Hydro.

Hydro_02.jpg

Hydro_03.jpg

Major size difference in 5 days. Well there you all go. Pictures as i promised.
:grinjoint:

Oh and thanks DroJo, i think its somthing that most people scoff at but i have always seen that plants people spend time around and have some hadns on always seems to do better then others. And thats a nice pic Cream, good stuff. Peronally i roll alot of Pandora radio. Since i can sort of just leave it on for a few hours and its always changing. But yeah my ladies like to dance in the light lol.

nice set up. CLean the way its suppose to be. And the mini DWC will work great. I do that when I seperate and have to baby a sick plant. The roots get mad oxygen. and the roots get huge. In my pride journal theres a bpict of the roots I had in one of my ladies from a mini dwc just like your. And they love it. +reps bro! great work. Posted and will seee you through tthe whole run.

Great idea to get water to the roots right away: I stunted my plants by not making sure the water level was high enough

+rep

nice set up. CLean the way its suppose to be. And the mini DWC will work great. I do that when I seperate and have to baby a sick plant. The roots get mad oxygen. and the roots get huge. In my pride journal theres a bpict of the roots I had in one of my ladies from a mini dwc just like your. And they love it. +reps bro! great work. Posted and will seee you through tthe whole run.

Its nice to know people will be dropping in and hopefully giving me some pointers for which direction to go in with problems or development. Ive heard it talked about in here off and on, but how does hydrogen peroxide help your plants during your weekly clean out? I figured the oxegenated peroxide would be like super Oxygen to the roots but other then that i dont understand why it would be used during your clean up. If you have any advice on that please let me know.

And yeah Ultrasonic, i had read that having the water directly on the roots right away would make it have a much more stable root mass. Though i think im going to wing it for when to drop the spool lid. As of right now it seems to be thriving.

Also i put my babys in peat moss pellets and the one this plant is in seems to be having moss growing on the top of it. Is this normal? I figured it was to be expected with a moss pelet and nutrients getting to it. Oh well, the little lady is big and strong so im not worrying. Anyways alot more to come.:rollit:

if you cover those pallets the growth should stop. You can get covers the size of your net pots from your local hydro store. Or just cut something that size. as far as h202 goes I'm not a big fanb of it. I've read plenty of articles that mention the pro's and cons of it. I think of t this way. We spend money on truying to create bthe right amount of benificials in our water and these benies' are bactreia and h202 kills bacteria so It will work against it. But this is me, and I'm sure you would get a different opinion from others. If you like I could find the article on it, Research is the best tool to get the right answer, and even if its the right answer for someone else,doesnt necessarily mean it would work for you. Research and trial and error are the best learning tools, Right?

No i totally agree, so what would you recommend for the cleanup process of the resivoir? Should i just pour it out and refill? Im thinking at least wiping it out inside a bit before the refill. Also have you ever bumped into anything that would sway you on what types of water to use? I have heard talk that using distilled water is good because of its lack of salt. But im new to it so expereince is always the better thing to listen too imo.

How long would it be ok for me to clean the bucket out? And i know the R/O water seems to be the water of choice for Hydro. Whats your take on this?

r/o all the way. Its the best base for your nute mix. And as far as cleaning the bucket goes I do a change out every 2 weeks. But with a small rez your going to have to monitot the water levels. So i would keep a close eye after the first cleaning then if all is well the top it off with plain water. Tehn on the second week do a change out. But if you think its gettin gdiry then change it out. I just suggest the 2 week thing cause this allows you to up your nutes along with your changeout.Thats if your plants can takethe upping. hope this makes sense. Does it?

r/o all the way. Its the best base for your nute mix. And as far as cleaning the bucket goes I do a change out every 2 weeks. But with a small rez your going to have to monitot the water levels. So i would keep a close eye after the first cleaning then if all is well the top it off with plain water. Tehn on the second week do a change out. But if you think its gettin gdiry then change it out. I just suggest the 2 week thing cause this allows you to up your nutes along with your changeout.Thats if your plants can takethe upping. hope this makes sense. Does it?

Dude thanks for the info. Sorry to be all space cadet, RL, work and the holidays man. lol. But yeah took the r/o opinion and went with it. Seems the girl is taking to it amazingly. Got a little nute burn on the tips but its comming back. But doubling the dose will do that. But yeah ill upload new pix shortly.

Back
Top Bottom