Cal Electricity - Cost going up - That was fast

Gazoo

I suspect this is the Electric company's way to profit from the recent change.

Here is the email I just received, looks like I may need to get serious about
Solar, at least during the day as that would probably reduce my use by 25% to
50%.

BTW The Base Line amount is Stupidly LOW I exceed it by simply running my everyday life,
Running the Heater (winter) or Air (summer) will easily put me into tier 3. I live alone.

PG&E Mail below

Dear *****, ********

Beginning in March 2017, a new state-mandated High Usage Surcharge will be introduced across California to encourage energy conservation among customers whose energy usage is significantly above typical household usage.

Each customer on a tiered rate plan is provided with an allowance of electricity that is charged at the lowest possible price; this is called the Baseline Allowance1. The surcharge is applied if a customer reaches four times their Baseline Allowance in a monthly billing period.

Our records show that your previous energy usage at *** ***** Dr is higher than average. We want to let you know that you may be at risk of incurring this surcharge because you have exceeded four times your Baseline Allowance within the last twelve months. PG&E is here to help you manage your energy use to avoid this surcharge

Its a great incentive to invest in Solar.
Panel technology now allows for cheaper manufacturing per watt of panel and that savings is passed on.

Give a solar warehouse a call and see what a 10KW Solar Panel kit with Inverter will cost.

Should be able to find one for 7-8 grand , the pay back starts immediately after install

There are programs on the web to calculate pay back time

For the second home on my property PG&E increased my baseline by 10%. Guess they are gunna freeze in the dark. I am also on a well. Would think there would be an allowance for that.

3/4 of my electricity is at the highest rate. Soon I will apply for an ag meter. Just got my first 2 LED. That should help too and the solar guys are coming to give a quote tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom