Palm's 1st Indoor CFL Box Grow

iampalmetto

Whatup yalls,

Last week, I posted a journal entry on my very first grow (outdoor), and I mentioned the ton of seeds I was able to obtain from my last batch of bud. Since then, I've germinated two more and decided to build my own DIY Cardboard Grow Box for my first indoor CFL grow.

Here's what I'm working with:

Setup - DIY Cardboard Grow Box
Light - 4 23w CFLs [5000k]
Ventilation - 4" Mini-Fan for Intake + Foxconn PC Fan for Exhaust
Bucket - 1/2 Gallon... I think.
Soil - "Just Natural" Organic Soil
Strain - Unknown [2 BagSeeds]
Room Temp - 75°
Box Temp - 82°
Humidity - 35-45%

Now let me show you my setup.

It took me two days to finish. I started with the lid, and as you can see I taped a power strip to the center, inside. Cut two holes for the CFLs to hang, and lined the walls with aluminum foil.

420-magazine-mobile815700593.jpg

Next, I laid out mylar around the main box and cut a hole in the bottom portion for the intake. .

420-magazine-mobile911153400.jpg

Got a little creative and added a window to see what's going on in there.

420-magazine-mobile263219531.jpg

Finally, cut a hole in top-left corner of box for exhaust. Removed the Fan from my PC. Stripped the wire from an AC Adapter and twisted around PC Fan wires for power. .

420-magazine-mobile2096904311.jpg

Take a peek inside! Look at that little sprout, hopefully it's a female. .

420-magazine-mobile1081391499.jpg

Gonna stick with 24/0 for now... Might switch to 18/6 in a few weeks though. I'm excited to see what my grow box is capable of! What do you guys think?

All your help and support is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
@iampalmetto

Looks good! I'm also doing my first grow with cfls, the only glaring issue I see for you at this stage would be height as that box doesn't look too tall ?best of luck I'll be following along! ..

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine

Thanks bro, good luck on your grow! Did you start a journal for it?

And my little box . is standing at 2 ft. H, 1.5 ft. L, and 1 ft. W.

I plan on making the lid adjustable soon so I'll be able to raise it higher.

I got the pots stacked on top of books right now to get the seedlings closer to the light.

Just swapped the ugly clay pot for a 1.6 gallon plastic one. Watered them down and got the temp/humidity on point right now.

They're loving it.

420-magazine-mobile956691240.jpg

Thanks bro, good luck on your grow! Did you start a journal for it?

And my little box . is standing at 2 ft. H, 1.5 ft. L, and 1 ft. W.

I plan on making the lid adjustable soon so I'll be able to raise it higher.

I got the pots stacked on top of books right now to get the seedlings closer to the light.

Just swapped the ugly clay pot for a 1.6 gallon plastic one. Watered them down and got the temp/humidity on point right now.

They're loving it.

420-magazine-mobile956691240.jpg

Nice! I do have a journal going , it used to be in my signature I dunno wat happened lol just popped a few new babies myself! . excited to see wat I can do with a photo since my current grow are autos. Best of luck man!! ..

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Hey how's the little ones looking! ..

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine

Maaan, they're looking fantastic! ..

Although, the past 3 days I've been trying to figure out how I could get the temps to drop below 80 degrees.

I tried everything! .

Put moist towels in there, cut another vent hole...

Removed the mylar on my walls, painting them white...

Then I actually raised the lid up like I said I would, and it got worse! Temps went up to 90°!

But then I finally figured it out! .

I had my plants stacked up on big ass books to reach the light. So I took the big ass books out and brought the lights down to the babies instead.

Since then (yesterday) the environment has been A1, perfect... Sitting at 75°/40-ish humidity right now.

420-magazine-mobile611203143.jpg

For only 4 days old, how do they look?

420-magazine-mobile2036346147.jpg

One is smaller than the other, but they're growing at the same pace.

Here's Thing 1:

420-magazine-mobile389283061.jpg

Here's Thing 2:

420-magazine-mobile999408920.jpg

And idk if there's something wrong, but Thing 1 is starting to show a little leaf curl? Could that be because of the heat from the last couple days? .

420-magazine-mobile681246823.jpg

I've got the lights at least 3 or 4 inches away, making sure they're not too close. And I have been watering them every other day too, so idk.

Other than all that, they seem very healthy and ready to shoot out mad leaves (which I plan to top and LST).

420-magazine-mobile2001513985.jpg

Thanks for keeping up with my grow fam, your feedback really means a lot!

They're looking healthy to me , nice color to them. I think The leaf curl could be caused from either being too warm or possibly over watering?, especially with being in wat looks like pretty big pots for seedlings. I'm no expert either though so ya no lol .. quick pic of my new brood for ya lol they were all put directly into peat pellets on the 17th

420-magazine-mobile1095835204.jpg

They're looking healthy to me , nice color to them. I think The leaf curl could be caused from either being too warm or possibly over watering?, especially with being in wat looks like pretty big pots for seedlings. I'm no expert either though so ya no lol .. quick pic of my new brood for ya lol they were all put directly into peat pellets on the 17th

420-magazine-mobile1095835204.jpg

Nice setup you got there. Those look ready to grow into monsters haha.

And that could be the issue with the leaf curl, cause I flooded the pots with tap water when I planted them... Could be the Ph too. That reminds me, I need to get one of those Ph pens!

Increase your feeding 'watering' just a little bit. Make sure your soil still holds Mg.

Thanks bro,

At first, I thought it could be overwatered! The pot hasn't completely dried out since I potted the baby.

I just watered it a little though, so we'll see what happens. .

Hey yall, I got a similar setup, 6 of those 23 watt cfls in an aluminum lined grow box.
420-magazine-mobile565264520.jpg
i just put an extra 3 in today and good thing i did because look how bad these poor babies stretched
420-magazine-mobile258030915.jpg
420-magazine-mobile743823989.jpg
I hope they get better. Im subbed dude interested to see how you do so i know what to expect.

Hey yall, I got a similar setup, 6 of those 23 watt cfls in an aluminum lined grow box.
420-magazine-mobile565264520.jpg
i just put an extra 3 in today and good thing i did because look how bad these poor babies stretched
420-magazine-mobile258030915.jpg
420-magazine-mobile743823989.jpg
I hope they get better. Im subbed dude interested to see how you do so i know what to expect.

Very nice bro. And since you're using CFL, you wanna keep them as close as possible to the plants so they don't stretch! Drop those lights at least 3" away from the seedlings, and you should be fine. As long as they're not touching the plant!

Also, what soil are you using? And do you have 2700k CFLs for Flower?

today is Week TWO.
420-magazine-mobile1835910543.jpg

.Thing 1
420-magazine-mobile1547145951.jpg

.Thing 2
they look happy.
just watered them today, been putting them out in the sun on the balcony for fresh air.
Do preflowers show without switching to Flower?

me too. I have my timer set the lights off at 9am and I bring them out on the balcony until the lights turn back on at 3, so they get maximum exposure.
they love it.

Back
Top Bottom