Aurora Indica: My First Grow

Alcoholic

I got bored and decided to throw this up so everyone can see how my first grow is going. First off a little info on the strain I'm growing:

STRAIN: Aurora Indica
THC CONTENT %: Up to 22%
CBD %: Up to 0.1%
INDICA / SATIVA %: 90% / 10%
INDOOR YIELD: 10 to 14 ounces per square meter
HEIGHT: 3-3.5 ft
FLOWERING TIME: 7-9 weeks

I'm growing in a closet. Started with 5 feminized seeds I got from Nirvana shop. Gotta say if you're gunna buy online go thru them. Fast delivery, no hassles and the seeds were great. Tossed them in a cup of water and 24 hours later they had popped a sprout. Planted them sprout down on July 4th about an inch into soil. Also planted them in a styrofoam cup at first. The soil I am using is formula 707 by roots. I have a 600 watt hps/mh light setup with adjustable ballast. So... I plugged in my MH light, cranked setting to 50%, on an 18-6 auto timed lighting schedule. Then I absolutely drowned my cups in water (regular from the tap) and waited for my seeds to grow.

Now something about me. I do not smoke weed. I did not know anything about weed before June. I spent approximately 400 bucks getting oscillating fan, AC unit, lights, and everything else I needed to grow this damn plant. I'm also not very patient. So this was the hardest part for me... Waiting to see if they were gunna sprout or if I had already killed them and wasted my money. I put the seeds in soil the night of july 4th. Two nights later on July 6th I still see nothing. I was getting a little nervous and alot impatient. I knew I wasnt supposed to do this but i dug down in the soil on one of my plants looking for signs of life. I figured I had to know, and if I killed one of them I still had 4 left. I don't think I've ever been as gentle with anything in my life and I didnt have to dig far down. I saw the root and it looked alive. So I gently cover it back up and pray that what i did didnt just kill it.

I wake up the third morning, about 12-14 hours after "unearthing" my root, and can't believe what i see. Growth. And not just out of one cup but all 5. I was shocked a plant could grow that fast overnight. Here are the first pictures I took of my beauties.

7/7/17:
7-7-17-pic31.jpg

7-7-17-pic11.jpg

7-7-17-pic21.jpg

Now I don't remember what days I watered exactly. I still don't have an exact watering schedule. From day one of successfully sprouting the seeds my biggest concern was to over water. All the research I did plainly told you that it was better to underwater than to overwater. So I have watered only when I felt my plants absolutely needed it. Sometimes 24-36 hours after I can tell the soil is dry. All I do is drown them in water til the soil cant take anymore. Then wait 2-4 days until the soil is bone dry and pulled in enough oxygen and repeat process. Also I should note I'm using strait tap water. The PH level must be fine in it as my plants aren't showing issues. I figured if they didnt like the water they would show me and I could change to bottled.

7/9/17:
7-9-17-pic21.jpg

7-9-17-pic11.jpg

At this point I'm also misting them with strait water every morning. No nutrients because the soil has plenty for a few weeks. And AI doesn't require as many nutes as other strains anyways.

7/12/17:
7-12-17-pic41.jpg

7-12-17-pic11.jpg

7-12-17-pic21.jpg

7-12-17-pic31.jpg

As you can see in one of these photos one of my plants was not growing the same way the others were. I was kinda worried about it but after speaking with a friend and doing a bit more research i learned it would be fine. Remember, I had only been researching weed and growing for a few weeks. I had no clue what this plant was doing ha.

7/16/17:
7-16-17-pic31.jpg

7-16-17-pic11.jpg

7-16-17-pic21.jpg

After two weeks my plants are looking fine. I'm wondering when to give them a dose of nutrients at this point. The soil claims it has enough nutrients in it for 2 weeks. The research I did warned me about nutrient burn.I once again erred on the side of caution. Waiting for my plants to tell me they needed nutes.

Also I have turned my ballast up to 75%.

7/20/17:
7-20-17-pic21.jpg

7-20-17-pic11.jpg

7/23/17:
7-23-17-pic21.jpg

7-23-17-pic11.jpg

I know the photos arent crystal clear, I never realized I would be posting them on a forum. So I do apologize about the quality of the photos. You can't really see it here but my plants were turning a lighter green with a little bit of yellowing. Not much. I figured it was time to give them some nutrients. I gave half the recommended dose of Mission fertilizer 4-1-3 Grow Grecer. From here til I switched to 12-12 I also misted with nitrogen every 2-3 days.

Now when I planted these in styrofoam cups my plan was to just pop the cups down in the soil and let the roots grow thru the styrofoam. I read you could do that an I didnt want to transplant. Cuz... I have never grown anything before in my life. I didn't want to take the risk of killing my plants because I have no experience transplanting. After speaking with my friend he told me the styrofoam could slow down growth. Still not sure if thats true but he was very confident about it and he's a smart guy so I decided to trust his judgement. He assured me transplanting is incredibly simple and he had never killed a plant by doing it. So I figure hell why not.

7/24/17:
7-24-17-pic31.jpg

7-24-17-pic41.jpg

7-24-17-pic11.jpg

7-24-17-pic21.jpg

I transplanted somewhere around week 3. July 28ish. My obvious concern was... Are they gunna die now, did I somehow fuck this up? Turns out transplanting is actually incredibly simple. They all lived. I planted three in one bag, two in the other bag. Each bag contains 20 galons of soil. I've also cranked my ballast up to 100%. So now its 600 watts of MH light beaming down on them.

8/3/17:

8-3-17-pic21.jpg

8-3-17-pic11.jpg

8/4/17:
8-4-17-pic11.jpg

8/5/17:
8-5-17-pic11.jpg

So it's been a little over a month now and my girls are growing. At this point I'm wondering when to switch them to 12-12. I'm also wondering if i need to trim, lollipop, supercrop etc. I decide to wait another week before switching to 12-12. I also like to experiment. So what I'm doing is letting the three grow their own way. I'll only trim off any dead or really yellowed leaves on bottom. The other two I will trim up pretty decent. There are arguments for and against lollipopping and over trimming. At the end I can see which plant produced more and will know what route to take my next grow.

8/8/17:
8-8-17-pic11.jpg

8-8-17-pic21.jpg

8/9/17:
8-9-17-pic11.jpg

By the yellow hue of these next photos you can tell I switched to 12-12. Obviously I put the HPS light in. Ballast at 100%. I'm very surprised by how full they got in 9 days. I've stopped misting with nitrogen. But I have given them a dose of Mission Fertilizer 3-1-5 Bloom Flor. 50% the recommended amount.

8/18/17:
8-18-17-pic11.jpg

8-18-17-pic21.jpg

From here on out I will try and take better photos to post. Here you can see where i trimmed and where i didnt.

8/20/17:
8-20-17-pic7.jpg

8-20-17-pic5.jpg

8-20-17-pic4.jpg

8-20-17-pic6.jpg

8-20-17-pic3.jpg

8-20-17-pic1.jpg

8-20-17-pic2.jpg

8/22/17:
It's been a few days since I've watered. My girls are needing it. Not gunna post a pic today because they basically look the same. Overall I think my plants are doing good. I now have full faith they will survive to harvest. Which i hear is when the trichomes are amber. So yea, everything above is pretty much what I've got for now. I will keep updating. Once again I'm still learning alot. I will be monster cropping these girls after harvest. So much to learn. I already know someone will ask this question so I will answer before it's asked. Why grow if you dont smoke? Good question. The answer is I'm hoping to switch from alcohol to weed after harvest. That alcohol bill is pretty massive ha. Also growing is turning out to be a very enjoyable hobby. I would recommend it to anyone. Smokers or not.

Any questions or critiques feel free.

I stopped drinking 13 years ago, now cannabis is the only med i use. I have 5 aurora indica beans in my stash from Nirvana so ill watch yours for now.

I stopped drinking 13 years ago, now cannabis is the only med i use. I have 5 aurora indica beans in my stash from Nirvana so ill watch yours for now.
Still working on quitting the drink, not easy given my background. Your plants look vigorous, healthy. My only comment would be to avoid overcrowding and plant them in separate containers if you can next time. Good luck to you, enjoy the hobby!

Thanks. I've been reading some grow journals and it seems you are an experienced grower. Good to know you'll be following this.

Still working on quitting the drink, not easy given my background. Your plants look vigorous, healthy. My only comment would be to avoid overcrowding and plant them in separate containers if you can next time. Good luck to you, enjoy the hobby!

Thanks for the feedback man. I went into this grow knowing not to expect much given my lack of knowledge, space restrictions and financial restrictions. My next grow I will have plenty of space as I intend to turn the back half of my game room into a flowering chamber. That's gunna be a nice project. My closet will then just be for clones and veg. Hoping to harvest every month and a half at that point. I do intend to have separate containers for every plant at that point.

Nice. I can legally have 12 plants as I'm in NV. Only 6 can be in flower at any given time tho. So plan to stagger them out so I harvest 4 plants every month an a half or so. Veg 5 for a month an a half. Switch 4 of them to flower. Take clones from the 5th. Veg those for month an a half. Flower 4 clone one. Keep repeating the cycle. Once again, that's a ways out still and still learning on how to get max yield from plants. So, it all may change to a different plan. Long term goals an all.

Thanks. I've been reading some grow journals and it seems you are an experienced grower. Good to know you'll be following this.

Thanks for the feedback man. I went into this grow knowing not to expect much given my lack of knowledge, space restrictions and financial restrictions. My next grow I will have plenty of space as I intend to turn the back half of my game room into a flowering chamber. That's gunna be a nice project. My closet will then just be for clones and veg. Hoping to harvest every month and a half at that point. I do intend to have separate containers for every plant at that point.
Hey brother it appears we are in the same boat, I have a few going outside and one inside in a nifty little hidden cabinet in the back of my wardrobe. Inside, it is only a 2.5ft x 2.5 ft ex gun cabinet with no real ventilation running a Mars 2-700, out of that space I have 2 smallish harvests of some knock your sox off homegrown. I've been macguyvering that shit for awhile but like you I have plans to renovate a basement/root cellar and buy more lights when $$$ permits. It's all about making the best of what you have and trial/error. Pennywise is a wealth of knowledge if you have questions. Big ups to new growers and 420 Mag for a comfy place for folks like us

Hope all is well in your world.

How did this grow turn out?

We would love to be updated with some pictures and info.

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read our Photo Gallery Tutorial.

I am moving this to Abandoned Journals until we get updates.

Sending you lots of love and positive energy.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom