Plant problems

Nthecloset420

These plants have been in dirt for almost 3 weeks now. I took a look at them This morning and I noticed that one of my plants have started to curl up and is kind of turning yellow. This is my first grow so I don't really know what I'm doing. I'm not giving them any nutrients other that what they're getting from the dirt. They're on a 18-6 light schedule. I'm using 2 CFL lights, one is a 26watt 2700k and the other is a 18watt 6500k. I'm planning on getting more lights soon with more wattage but I'm currently broke and using what I have. Any advice is appreciated thanks.
image2363.jpeg
image2314.jpeg

First off, welcome to :420: :)

Now for your plants. Looks to me like you have them in a cut off coke can. At 3 weeks, they should be in bigger pots. I would say they are starving for nitrogen and probably root bound. If you have the soil and some larger pots (1 gallon) you should get them into the larger pots.

Thanks for the quick replies and for the advice. I'm glad you two were so welcoming, most forums are full of A-holes. I read online that urine is a good source of nitrogen so I peed in a cup and diluted it and then watered it last night but it looks worse today than last night. I didn't really think of it being root bound because it's so small and really hasn't been in the can very long. My gf started growing them and I kind of took it over, when she first planted them she put them in clay she got from the yard and I didn't think it was good for them so I bought dirt and transplanted them over a week ago. They've been doing fine until yesterday

Thanks for the quick replies and for the advice. I'm glad you two were so welcoming, most forums are full of A-holes. I read online that urine is a good source of nitrogen so I peed in a cup and diluted it and then watered it last night but it looks worse today than last night. I didn't really think of it being root bound because it's so small and really hasn't been in the can very long. My gf started growing them and I kind of took it over, when she first planted them she put them in clay she got from the yard and I didn't think it was good for them so I bought dirt and transplanted them over a week ago. They've been doing fine until yesterday

Ok i am a hydro grower so take it for what it's worth. I have started seeds in dirt before though...

I would get a bigger better pot... some perelite and mix in a new batch of the soil and add the perelite liberally.. then gently transplant it leaving the dirt it is in mostly intact into new steup ... pot only needs to be watered when it feels light later... Get those Cfl's super close almost touching them.. then don't touch and watch them for a few days... everything will respond slow but I bet they will do great....

The more info on your set up you post here the more responses you will get... If you want this grow to do well dont pee on your plants... get nutes, but the soil will have what it needs for a bit..

Read read read on the site everything you need to even grow on a super budget is right here where you landed!

:peace:

FE

Hi N... please do not pee on your plants any more... you are right that it is a source of nitrogen, but a very nasty thing happens when pee hits soil... the soil converts a large amount of it to ammonia. Ammonia will kill your plant.

I don't agree with the others about moving into a larger container at this point. Your goal is to build up a good solid rootball, and we do this by constricting our plants in smaller containers and then successively up-potting them into increasingly larger sizes. I think that what you have it in right now is fine... as long as you have drainage holes in the bottom so that the stagnant water at the bottom can get out.

The biggest mistake new growers make is overwatering by watering too often. Let your baby dry out... so dry that you can not even feel any water weight in your container when you lift it up. It should take several days for this to happen. Be patient, and let her find all the water... and she will send out new roots to do so. If you keep her wet, or water every time the top of the soil gets dry, you will most likely kill your first plant... and no one wants to see you suffer in that way.

Totally agree not too big.. I wasn't thinking 10 gal pots.... yet..... just solo cups or slightly bigger with more soil towards the top so the light can reach plants better...perelite to let the air get in there better and spot on the watering everyone over waters in the beginning..

FE

Ok thanks for the info. What kind of nutes should I get? The Internet is full of different opinions

I'm late to the party, but...
The cups and amount of soil look minimal to me. Also, way too wet. Do you have drainage holes in the bottom of those containers?
Don't piss on your plants - especially at this young age. In veg, they prefer the nitrate form of nitrogen - not an ammonia/urea source.
With plants that small, grown in soil, the soil should have everything they need for quite a while.
Normally I would transplant something this soon, but they may need a "fresh start" in properly watered "good soil". That would flush the pee and give them room to get established in some well-drained soil.

They all have drainage holes. One reason why they look so wet is because I had just watered them.

If they survive long enough for me to get more funds I'm gonna buy pots, soil, more lights, and some nutrients. This is basically a grow in my closet for fun and experience. I hope it works out for me cause I don't want to waste the few weeks I've already put into it but if it doesn't it's not a big deal.
I'll just wait till I have enough money to be better prepared and I'll start with some good seed from a known strain.( these are just seeds from weed I had gotten a while back)

It's all good work with what you got... Nutes i am not going to be a lot of help as I do hydro and it is alot different. But just keep in mind it takes 3-4 months to get to harvest so every little bit more you can do.. better nutes.. lights.. etc can make the 4 months offer you a better reward...

My first real grow was crappy bag seed so i had good results but it is crappy bag seed dope... Same results with a 10 dollar bean would have been a lot better.

Good to have you trying though and I have seen some amazing stuff with a serious low budget... just need to read a lot and be crafty...

FE

If you have a local hydro shop, in a legal state or not, why not stop in? My shop isn't too busy, and I get in hour long conversations with them, and have learned more in a couple hours than the months I've spent reading online.

If you're in an illegal state, just talk about fruits and flowers and stuff. Seriously, they'll know what you're talking about, you'll know what they're talking about, and not a word about weed needs be said.

The guys posting above are also insanely helpful, but when you need an answer now, a quick call to the shop could save you hours of torment.

And welcome, to the coolest hobby ever!

It's continuing to look worse by the day, I'm pretty sure it's gonna die. I have other plants that are starting to turn yellow and one might be starting to taco a bit

What's the status on your grow? Have you changed nutes or lights or pots yet? Any new pictures? Same issue, just yellowing of leaves?

I'm a newb too, but my advice is to repot them in some decent soil with some extra perlite and pour some pH'd water through, like a couple times more water than the size of the pot, and watch and wait. The soil should feed so no need to worry about nutrients yet, and the flush should get any leftover urine/ammonia out.

My limited experience says nitrogen deficiency, but that could be caused by lockout or a number of other things, not just availability of the nutrient. Have you been pHing your water? I know soil should help with pH but if you know it's 6.2 going in, you know you're good to go. Regardless, the flush should take care of most of the issues I can think of that would cause that.

What is the soil you are using? Has it dried out by now?

I have let them dry out until today when I watered them with rain water that had some fox farm 6-4-4 in it.

The soil is ferry morse organic starter mix.

Back
Top Bottom