Bud Rot! Can any part be saved?

Sooey

It's a Bud Rot Morning! Is there any help?

This is my first grow: In MA. outside, in pots/dirt, CBDream started on or about May 1st, 4 plants in total.

Everything was going great, nice plants, healthy, green, lots of buds and about two weeks from harvest. I had to be away for a week so I sheltered 3 of my plants in a fenced inclosure. Hurricane Jose was on his way so I did what I thought was best. I got home late on Tuesday night. Wednesday morning I find But Rot on my plants. One plant has only two buds infected but the others have several buds that look awful.

My question is...can I still use the uninfected buds? This is for medical use and my intent was to make a tintcher. Is it safe or is it a total loss? Also, do I harvest what I can today or remove the bad buds and treat what I can to allow it to finish to maturity? I estimate that it should have another week + to full ripening.

I admit that I am at a loss and I thank you all in advance for any help/advice you can give.

Sooey

Bud rot is something a lot of Outdoor growers in MA are dealing with right now. I just asked this question here's what I got.
420-magazine-mobile1704551530.jpg
420-magazine-mobile687669015.jpg

Thanks, MsSinful. Yes, in my case it was my being away during Jose. If I been home my plants would have been inside during all that rain. Now the humidity is not helping at all. I am on the fence as to what to do. My thinking is that I should harvest what I can on whatever plant that I can. My concern is still how safe it is to process into a tincture.

Thanks, MsSinful. Sorry if you find yourself in the same predicament. Rot SUCKS!

Sooey

Thank you, Blue. Yes, from the research I have done today it seems that you can process any bud that is mold free. Any bud with visible mold should be destroyed. I am still looking but so far I have found warnings only on smoking bud that my contain mold. After a bit more research I think I will be happy with that. I will not be smoking it, so as long as I can get some tincture I will be happy. Oh, and some healthy leaves for some yummy brownies... the weather here in MA has cleared and the air is now much drier. I will remove all of the mold I can find and see what tomorrow brings. I would really like to get a few more days into this grow. So close to harvest, every day counts.

I have my 5 gal buckets, lemon juice, baking soda and lots of Peroxide. I am ready to wash what ever I end up getting.

Thanks again, Blue.

S

OK, here's the deal...I just cut out as much mold as I could see on my plants. I am sure there is some I could not see or reach but I think I got a lot of it off of three of my plants. I wore rubber gloves and put everything into a zip-loc bag for disposal. It does not seem to have spread since I first discovered it on Wednesday which is a surprise.

Our weather has improved and the humidity is much lower. My plan is to let them go for a few more days. I will check them twice a day and as soon as I see more mold I will harvest on the spot. they are so close to being fully ripe and they are very, very sticky. I hate to lose a day of maturity if I don't have to. At the same time, I do not want contaminated material to work with if I can help it. I know that this is a risk and it may all be doomed but I am going to give it a try. Does any of this make sense to any of you and do you have any advice that may be helpful?

Thanks, everyone. I'm already starting to think about my next grow which will be started soon and done indoors, under lights. Thinking of what will work best and be mold resistant. Happy Growing!

s

OK, here's the deal...I just cut out as much mold as I could see on my plants. I am sure there is some I could not see or reach but I think I got a lot of it off of three of my plants. I wore rubber gloves and put everything into a zip-loc bag for disposal. It does not seem to have spread since I first discovered it on Wednesday which is a surprise.

Our weather has improved and the humidity is much lower. My plan is to let them go for a few more days. I will check them twice a day and as soon as I see more mold I will harvest on the spot. they are so close to being fully ripe and they are very, very sticky. I hate to lose a day of maturity if I don't have to. At the same time, I do not want contaminated material to work with if I can help it. I know that this is a risk and it may all be doomed but I am going to give it a try. Does any of this make sense to any of you and do you have any advice that may be helpful?

Thanks, everyone. I'm already starting to think about my next grow which will be started soon and done indoors, under lights. Thinking of what will work best and be mold resistant. Happy Growing!

s

Seems like your aware of the situation and honestly doing the best you can to control things.
After you chop and dry I would be interested in knowing if you came across anymore buds with rot that had gone unnoticed.

Thanks, Ms! I went into this knowing that it was an experiment and that I would use my best skills and hoped to end up with some usable material and, learn a lot along the way. I will be very disappointed if I fail in my efforts and I really hate the thought of having those spores around but, I will persist! It's been fun and I think I need to remind myself of that little fact as I face this unexpected glitch. and yet...so close...

Thanks, MsSinful

s

s
Ms Sinful, I have seven outdoor ladies that all have bud rot. I,ve been growing for years in Central CA and have never experienced it before . So, Sept. 25th, I cut them all down ";( , two weeks before originally planned. All the rot I could see was removed (don,t even think it,s good to compost) after removing all the fan leaves,
the plants were hung in a dark garage w/ a humidity of 60% or lower using a fan if necessary. Thanks to your post (and others) i,ve learned about washing the buds w/ a peroxide and lemon solution.
Stay tuned for results.
bud guy Joey #:)

Thanks, MsSinful. Yes, in my case it was my being away during Jose. If I been home my plants would have been inside during all that rain. Now the humidity is not helping at all. I am on the fence as to what to do. My thinking is that I should harvest what I can on whatever plant that I can. My concern is still how safe it is to process into a tincture.

pull what you can right now. leaving it could easily lose the entire grow.

bud rot spreads a lot faster than most folk realize. you'll have to check every bud at harvest. bud rot starts from the inside, the stuff you see on the surface is only about 10%. you need to check the bud by breaking them open.

moldy bud cannot be used for anything. you can't extract from it safely, so no topicals or tinctures and definintely no smoking. mold spores are smaller than trichomes and can't be separated safely.

Back
Top Bottom