1st Timer - Hydro - Vanilla Kush - Lemon Skunk - Big Bug

Hydroponian

400MH (getting the HPS later in grow)
4 Gallons in reservoir (thinking of making it 5)
Timer
Digital thermometer/hydrometer
Rockwool cubes
General Hydroponics Ebb N Flow
switchable ballast
pH tester + pH UP and DOWN
Holland Secret nutrient
Micro 5-0-2
Grow 2-1-7
Bloom 0-6-4
Cardboard box w/ heating pad inside for germing
4 inch fan I had laying around (I'll upgrade that later on)

Popping my green thumb cherry here. I think I may have already went wrong with trying to grow three different strains at once. Any input on that? I'm going to have the light on a timer. Should the water pump and fan be on a timer too or just running 24/0? If so does it have to be on the same time schedule as the light? I'm germing 1 DNA Lemon Skunk fem seed, 1 Barney's Farm Vanilla Kush fem seed and 2 Big Bud reg seeds that came free with my order. I keep thinking the Big Buds will turn up male and I won't get them out in time and end up ruining the whole crop (and wasting what I paid for those fem seeds). However this is my first and I want the hands-on experience/knowledge of sexing plants. My options for picture quality are my 2mp camera on my phone or my 4mp very old (like one of the first and it's from walgreens) digital camera so please bare with me on that end. ALL INPUT IS APPRECIATED. THANKS.

p.s. well looks like I need to go back and read on how to upload photos so pics coming soon.

Re: 1st timer/Hydro/VanillaKush/LemonSkunk/BigBug

Hey bud welcome to :420:. your not messing up by starting with 3 different strains at all. it sounds overwhelming but they will all be a great learning experience for you. ALL strains like different environments. from my first hydro grow to now my PH has become more sensitive on my current strains than my last grows. if your going to be growing hydro for your first time i'll stick around to give you some tips. also i recently been covering PH issues in my last 3 pages of my current journal. i honestly wish i learned more about PH before i started hydro. may be some useful info for you in there:thumb:

good luck ill be hanging around

Hey you guys ever hear of any issues like getting logged out every time you try to upload photos to the gallery? Could it have something to do with my membership or rep? I click on Photo Gallery and I get logged out. Then I log back in and it redirects me to the Photo Gallery but then when I click upload it logs me out again and keeps happening every time I click upoad.

Thanks teSmp. Guess I'll just wait it out. I really wanna get those pics up.....
p.s. Day 2 of germination with the heating pad. Big Bud1 taproot emerged. It's upside down in the starter cube though (the root is point up instead of down into the cube). This will most likely fix itself right? I think it just happened because of the way the seed was positioned down in the cube.

it should work itself out. i never grown from seed yet but i've seen pics of what your describing and it sounds normal. wait it out and that seed should fix itself. that sucks about you not bein able to upload pics, but looking forward to them none the less. things sound to be rolling on your end! congrats bud

Hydroponian said:
Thanks yall. When I put em under the light to start vegging should I do a 24/0 or 18/6 or something along those lines?

Either works up to you really. Everyone has there own preference on the matter. I can afford 24/0 so I do it.

I guess the problem with the pic upload had to do with the browser I was using. I switched browsers and everything worked fine...... any-woo

Outside Closet
Outside_Closet_View.JPG

Set Up
Set_Up4.JPG

Inside Closet
Inside_Closet_View.JPG

Germ Station (tray with starter cubes on top of towel and heating pad inside a card board box)
Germ_Station.JPG

Little Helpers
Little_Helpers.JPG

Now that pics are up to give a better illustration to your mental, any ideas for ventilation with a set up like this?? I plan on mounting a fan on the wall near the thermometer and facing it toward the plants. But what I mean is any ideas as far as getting good air onto the plants and bad air away from the plants and out the grow room even. Or maybe putting a carbon air filter in there. I've been trying to figure out a way to do this without having to leave one or both of the doors slide open because that MH is oh so bright and even pierces through my black curtains a little, the ballast has a slight hum, that 4" fan hums for sure and vibrates the shelf its suspended from.

you could hang a blanket over your door and leave space up top for heat to escape. get more fans, place one in the back and point it toward your light and have that fan blow consistant air past your bulb to keep your plants cool. the air would also pass through the cracks of the blanket to keep cool also.

if you arent using your window to open and cool the room down you coud tape black garbage bags over your window to seal the lights in your room from the outside world.

just a few options plenty more out there too

I thought of that but I'm renting so that would bring some issues. I have a very good amount of plywood leftover from what I used to put on the floor under the tarp in case of any accidents. So I can build something it's just my imagination is running out of ideas for things I could build for it.

I added a 9" fan on the floor, some mylar around the grow tray and Im soaking the larger rockwool cubes so they'll be ready to drop the starter cubes in. Should I wait for the plants to get a few levels of leave before I put them in the larger cube or just toss em in right when I take em from germing to vegg?

Mylar2.JPG

Yeah quite a big difference between SOG and SCROG. With a SOG you use many plants to your advantage trying to create an even canopy and focusing on one large cola on each plant like all of the 2L journals on here. SCROG does stand for screen of green and you use the screen to train the plants horizontally beneath the screen and you use much fewer plants then SOG. When you train the plants under the screen the side branches become tops just like the main cola on a normal plant. After most of the stretch phase of flowering you allow the tops to grow through each hole in the screen. There is quite a few of us doing SCROG and SOG on here if you want to see pictures in comparison. I just uploaded new pics if you click the link in my signature, I'm about two weeks into flowering. The purpose of both methods is purely to increase yield per sq/ft and often used by people with height restrictions.

Thanks bud. Im checking out your journal i a separate window now. Nice bro. Im starting to get a better grasp on this FIM, LST, SCROG thing.

So with LST you tie the stems down in opposite directions to get more light to the bottom of the plant then the plant will start to grow more thick stems that will produce buds? Making the plant thicker wider/ bushier?

So with SOG you use a screen to grow the lower branches and the main cola of a lot of plants evenly under a screen? And with SCROG you keep the plant under the screen till you think its done stretching so all the buds on the plant reach screen level then let them grow up through the holes?

Go with the 4mp camera if it takes better better pics, good lighting always helps to. No problem with growing different strains, just have fun with it and you will get experience on what types of strains you prefer growing. What are yiur temps and humidity? Follow this to upload pics: Photo Gallery Guide: How to Resize, Upload & Post Photos :) don't worry about the big bud not being fem. you will have plenty of time to pull them out before pollen is released if they are males.

Got my water pumping, light going and 9" floor fan going and with the doors closed my RH is 43 and my temp in 84. With the door open about a foot (and opening is behind my floor fan) to bring in good air from outside the grow room and blow it up into the plants and fan, my RH is 50 and the temp is 79.

You got the concepts above except for SOG. You use no screen and you just have a bunch of plants standing next to each other trimmed up a certain way. Check out the 2L journals for pics of it.

I started checking out 420fied 2 Liter Hempy SOG

So its one tall, thick stem with huge fore arm sized buds the whole way up? Or is that just the way he does his?

Day 1 of vegetation. Moved the Lemon Skunk and Vanilla Kush into the larger cubes. Going to experiment and leave Big Bud 1 in just the starter cube to see what the difference is for early root development. No activity from the Big Bud 2 seed but still haven't given up on it. RH 47% Temp 82 Any suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom