2 x 600 Watt Tent Set Up - 12 x Cali Connection Plants/Strains - 1st Indoor Grow

End of WEEK 2 - Day 14

Things are looking good so far. I added a box fan to the setup to help get more air moving around because the smaller fan I had in there just wasn't cutting it. There are a couple of oddballs in the mix and I'll point them out in the pictures below. The Critical Jack Herer seedling was severely stunted due to some problem with the seed shell not coming off properly causing one of the cotyledon leaves to shrivel up and die. I almost got rid of it, but it is slowing recovering. Also the Julius Caesar seedling, due to a similar problem with the seed shell, each new leaf on either side is growing at a different rate. It's like one side of the plant is slightly behind the other in growth, but other than that it is growing fine. I plan on adding a mild dose of EarthJuice grow nutrients to each feeding starting next Friday at the end of Week 3. From there I'm going to steadily increase the dose each week until it's at the max recommended dosage. So without further ado, the Week 2 pics:

IMG_060613.JPG
IMG_060711.JPG
IMG_060814.JPG
IMG_060911.JPG
IMG_061013.JPG
IMG_06119.JPG
IMG_061211.JPG

Here is the stunted Critical Jack Herer seedling.
IMG_061314.JPG

Here is the Julius Caesar seedling with the odd growth.
IMG_061415.JPG

You have a beauty of a setup, what was your total expense for all of it if you don't mind me asking. I'm running my first grow now in a small closet space, but when I move from here I will be running something about that size.

You have a beauty of a setup, what was your total expense for all of it if you don't mind me asking. I'm running my first grow now in a small closet space, but when I move from here I will be running something about that size.

Thank you! Starting from absolute scratch I would say everything up to this point including soil, seeds, nutes, etc. was probably right around the $1000-$1250 range. And that will probably go up or down depending on the quality of the items you buy. However the plan is to one day have it to the point where I'm taking clones from a couple of mother plants so that the only thing I'm paying for each time is new soil and nutes for the most part. I look at it as a nice investment that will most likely have no problem paying for itself fairly quickly.

Thanks.

Also, do you have a journal going for your grow? I wouldn't mind checking it out. I started out with small closest grows that for various reasons never amounted to much of anything other than the stockpiling of grow equipment as I kept trying haha.

Opposite of rude my friend. I like your attitude towards growing actually. You can never know every thing about the lovely lady MJ so imo we're all newbs! You will never know everything or try every technique or style of growing or every nute. As well a good grow book or 2 or 3 is the best tool for growers of all skill levels. Anyone who calls themselves an expert is just a prick IMO. So your off to alot better start than I had is my point. Now the only advice I have for you atm is to straighten out that ducting! That 125° bend by your ducting by your fan is cutting airflow like crazy and also causes more noise from moving air so positioning the reflectors and carbo filter in a straight line with your fan would be best. Swell its best to position your filter high off the floor. To collect hot air is the idea.

First Time Around
I don't know how to link things yet. I'll learn. It's called "first time around"

Your grow is looking good! I'm subscribed! It won't be too much longer before you get to harvest. I can't wait until I'm at that point in my grow :). Also your link worked perfect just so you know.

Thanks

Look up GLR technique its well documented.

Hey bro, I just read through your grow so far and your off to a good start. I use the glr method also, you should look into it. I get really good growth and save a lot on electricity. I do have a couple of things that I noticed that are worth mentioning, first thing is that you have a lot of different strains going. This may cause some issues later on. Each strain has its own characteristics and traits, some grow taller and some short for example. In my experience, its a lot easier and everything seems to run smoother when I run only a few different strains. The other thing was mentioned earlier, and that's the big pots. Those pots are fine, but I like to use smaller pots at first, then, before they get rootbound, I will transplant to the large final pots. This way they really don't suffer much transplant shock if any. But your off to a good start, and you will be able to work through these issues, so don't get discouraged. Im subbed in and ill be watching. I have that same tent for my flower room by the way, you should be able to grow soe big girls in there, good luck!:thumb:

Look up GLR technique its well documented.

Thanks northener. You have already been very helpful so far. I already have a few plans to try and adjust the positions of the scrubber and blower to better the airflow, but like I have mentioned the tent can only hold so much so we'll see if it works. They will be higher off the ground at the very least though. And after quickly reading through a few documents and threads on the GLR technique, it didn't take long to convince me. I'm going to switch the light cycle to 12-on/5.5-off/1-on/5.5-off starting tomorrow as it says this will promote a healthier, more robust plant. If after a week or so I'm satisfied with the results I will leave them on this cycle.

Thanks

Thanks northener. You have already been very helpful so far. I already have a few plans to try and adjust the positions of the scrubber and blower to better the airflow, but like I have mentioned the tent can only hold so much so we'll see if it works. They will be higher off the ground at the very least though. And after quickly reading through a few documents and threads on the GLR technique, it didn't take long to convince me. I'm going to switch the light cycle to 12-on/5.5-off/1-on/5.5-off starting tomorrow as it says this will promote a healthier, more robust plant. If after a week or so I'm satisfied with the results I will leave them on this cycle.

Thanks

The Gas Lamp Routine rocks!!! I've used it on 1 full grow and currently mid veg on my 2nd and so far very impressed with the growth and plant health, as well as happy about saving $$ on electric. Definitely will be happy you switched!!

Hey bro, I just read through your grow so far and your off to a good start. I use the glr method also, you should look into it. I get really good growth and save a lot on electricity. I do have a couple of things that I noticed that are worth mentioning, first thing is that you have a lot of different strains going. This may cause some issues later on. Each strain has its own characteristics and traits, some grow taller and some short for example. In my experience, its a lot easier and everything seems to run smoother when I run only a few different strains. The other thing was mentioned earlier, and that's the big pots. Those pots are fine, but I like to use smaller pots at first, then, before they get rootbound, I will transplant to the large final pots. This way they really don't suffer much transplant shock if any. But your off to a good start, and you will be able to work through these issues, so don't get discouraged. Im subbed in and ill be watching. I have that same tent for my flower room by the way, you should be able to grow soe big girls in there, good luck!:thumb:

Thanks man! I'm definitely going to give the GLR technique a try. I understand what you mean about growing so many strains. Hopefully, if there are any problems with different heights, all be able to move similar size plants to either side and adjust each light accordingly. However, at the same time I'm looking forward to growing all these different strains and kind of hoping that they each become ready at different times so that I'm only harvesting a couple plants at a time to help divide all the trimming work up. For future grows I only plan to grow between 1-4 strains grow and I'll definitely be starting off with smaller pots.

Since you are growing using the same tent, I wanted to ask you how many plants you can comfortably fit in it? Also what is the biggest you have grown a plant in this tent? In other words, what was the most weight from a single lady you've grown in this tent?

Thanks for the advice!

I like to grow mine big, right now I'm running 8 dwc 5 gallon buckets in there. I've only used this tent for one of my grows before this, I got it last year. But I packed in 28 pots that were about 3 gallons or so. It was kind of crowded, and they needed to be kept smaller. Also I only had a single 600w with a 90w led and some cfl's for lighting, so my yield suffered a bit. I probably averaged a little over an oz on each, but I don't really get too caught up in weighing it all out. I think it's much easier to go with fewer larger plants than a bunch of smaller. It gives me more room to get at each plant, and I'm hoping my yield will be much better as well.

I like to grow mine big, right now I'm running 8 dwc 5 gallon buckets in there. I've only used this tent for one of my grows before this, I got it last year. But I packed in 28 pots that were about 3 gallons or so. It was kind of crowded, and they needed to be kept smaller. Also I only had a single 600w with a 90w led and some cfl's for lighting, so my yield suffered a bit. I probably averaged a little over an oz on each, but I don't really get too caught up in weighing it all out. I think it's much easier to go with fewer larger plants than a bunch of smaller. It gives me more room to get at each plant, and I'm hoping my yield will be much better as well.

Yep I plan on growing them BIG! :) As of right now I have on the calendar to start flowering on 2/1/2012 in hopes of having smokable buds by 4/20. I'm thinking their going to be pretty big haha. My goal is at least 1lb altogether and I will be a very happy man! And that's good information about the plants. That means I could probably stick about 20+ autoflowers in here then in get about 20 ounces of decent buds in 2 months if I wanted too.

Hi everyone. Just wanted to add a quick update. The plants seem to be liking the new light cycle and are growing well. It also looks like the Critical Jack Herer seedling is going to make a full recovering and is picking up in growth :). I decided to start feeding with a mild dose of nutes at about 1 tbsp/ 1 gallon of the Earth Juice grow nutrients because I started to notice a little yellowing of the lower leaves on a couple of the plants. I also managed to get the scrubber off the floor of the tent and hanging up on the ceiling. I was able to hang the blower, but I adjusted it so that the angles in the ducting are more efficient for moving air. All in all, it is looking a lot nicer in the tent especially as it continues to fill with green. As usual I will be posting updated pics of everything on Friday.

I know I am still a while off from this point in my grow, but can somebody tell me if you should flush you plants before switching to 12/12?

Thanks guys!

End of WEEK 3 - Day 21

It's already been 3 weeks since I planted these seeds and they're looking pretty good. I love being able to look at their progress week by week in this journal :). Its been one week since I have started using the GLR light cycle and I've got to say that I'm pretty satisfied with the results. So far they have only been fed once with a very mild nutrient solution (15ml/gal) and that was 2 days ago. They should be ready for their second feeding tomorrow or Sunday. I plan on increasing the dose to (30ml/gal) next Friday and then to the max recommended dosage of (45ml/gal) the week after. As you can see from the pictures I was able to get the scrubber off the floor and decrease some of the angles in the ducting. Also the weaker seedlings have started to pick up in growth so hopefully they will end up doing their part providing at least a little bit herb. Thats about it for updates. I have a few questions though. Has anybody here used EarthJuice nutes that can provide with feed back? Also any recommendations on nutes that have given good results would be great too! And can I get some tips/info on whether I should do any sort of toping, trimming, cropping, etc... and when the best time to do it is? Any info is appreciated!

Thanks guys!

IMG_061514.JPG
IMG_061614.JPG
IMG_061712.JPG
IMG_061811.JPG
IMG_061913.JPG
IMG_062011.JPG
IMG_062114.JPG

Here is the Critical Jack Herer showing a little growth.
IMG_062216.JPG
IMG_062316.JPG
IMG_062413.JPG
IMG_062513.JPG
IMG_062614.JPG

Julius Caesar.
IMG_062711.JPG
IMG_062811.JPG

If your looking to grow bushes I would start now with topping/ fiming and as soon as they start to branch do a defoil. If your seedlings are anything like my clones they'll grow straight sideways. The adjustments to your circulation system look awesome.

Back
Top Bottom