2018 Organic Greenhouse Grow: 6 Strains

Waiting for my screens to come in, I ordered a 110 line and a 200 line silk screen already stretched and framed.
As a graphic artist I had a few choices of ways to buy or make them. I went with buying aluminum framed screens.
When they come in I can start trimming all the sugar leaves off. I decided to wait before manicuring any more buds because I was amazed at how frosty they are.
I thought about extracting so I did a small test run using isopropyl alcohol and 12 grams of small loose buds and trim. I got 2.3 grams. Here's what that looked like. It looks much darker than what it really is.

The smell was strong even though I did this on a deck. The results are nice but not what I want to go through with all the trim I have on hand.

The reason I'm doing the dry sift is because of the decent results I'm getting with my current sifting setup. I have some agricultural screens from years gone by. I'm using two screens one is a number 4 that has 4.75 mm openings and the other is a number 40 with 425 micron openings. This is far from ideal, but it does a good enough job that I know this is the way for me. The sift is dirty but if I tap it lightly and swirl the can, I can get a good part of it to come to the top, where I just pluck it off the pile with tweezers. Looking at this with my mag. glass I can see how dirty it was and the difference after a swirl and tap.
It just would take too long to clean it this way, so here's where the larger screens come in. Aside from being larger they also have the appropriate size mesh. Around 150um for the top screen and 70um for the lower one.
Here's what this setup looked like.
Here's what the sift looks like before cleaning.
I'm going to manicure all winter. My harvest will be curing in a couple of totes so I can trim at my pace, So I hope!

Glad to hear all's well in your part of the world. We seem to be in the same boat. I canned my tomatoes with onions and peppers I grew. I keep salt out from all I make and my stewed tomatoes last most of the winter. I grew spaghetti squash. potatoes, butternut squash, loose neck and stiff neck garlic and 3 types of onions to put up for the winter. My corn got destroyed by squirrels. They stripped each and every ear off the plants. It looked like a bomb went off. Years ago I had a moose go through the garden eating all the tops off the green pepper plants, but that wasn't nearly as much damage as the little rodents did. The worst thing about the moose damage was the holes left in the beds. My soil was fluffy and they sank a good foot into them. They didn't stick to the path! Funny now, wasn't then.
The nicest part was growing 4 giant pumpkins with my two grandnieces aged 2 and 3. They planted them and watched them grow to about 30 lbs. each. They were carved this past Saturday and watching my nieces having fun was special. My brother in-law using a reciprocating saw on them was special too. What a mess
All I have left in the garden are my French fillet beans I'm drying for seed.

I swear you're reading between the lines my friend. When I read this post it hit me. The part where you said ''Time with anyone that has a piece of the puzzle is a fleeting, rare, & precious thing!' really hit home. For the past 2 years I've been caring for my Mom at home. She is the typical French Mom, Memere (grandmother) and Matriarch. She now needs help daily, and I'm glad I'm in the position to be there. The past month has been rough on her, and I'm seeing things that scare me, but I'm making the most of what we have left, which I pray is a long time. Our time together is precious and I make the most of it, hoping to have as few regrets as possible later in life.

I like how you grew what you call 'mutts'. They had really impressive lineage. The names used are cool. My favorite name was Hippie Killer, I grew it about 4-5 yrs. ago. Your plants looked sweet, and I really like the Idea of breeding seeds. Maybe one of my next adventures. No need to take out a second mortgage to buy seeds.

I liked your Spanish quote. It was a blast from the past. My names Ken and belive me I still get the hey 'what's the frequency Kenneth' greeting from my closest friends.

P.S. I couldn't agree more Mon Ami, I too feel a good digression coming on. Paix
All time's precious...do what you can, while you can, because the days of can't are coming.

I think I will do a seed grow sometime in the future. This yr woulda been a good one--I had two monster males.

But, logistics trumps all. I knew that this fall I'd be way too busy with everything else to mess with a seed harvest. Even in retrospect with the lost opp., it still seems like a smart decision.

Also check out my new journal--the link's in my sig.

Grow on!

Now to touch on harvesting. I had to plan around what the plants were telling me. I didn't want a house full of wilting branches, so I had to plan a bit. As far as trichomes go I went with mostly cloudy for most plants or as the plants needed to come down for a few different reasons. I'll go over these reasons in the plant by plant descriptions below. Here's the order they came down in :
1. Sept. 28 I harvested half of the Bubba Kush. Mainly the top colas. Bud rot was getting out of hand and this was the best option.
2. Oct. 4 I harvested the balance of the Bubba
3. Oct. 5 I harvested all of the Holy Grail Kush. She had a bit of bud rot but nowhere as bad as the Bubba. She was a smaller plant so I was able to get her harvested in one shot. It also was easy to de-fan leaf it wash and hang before the next in line.
4. Oct. 6 Half of the Haze Berry came down. Not the top colas but everything on one side. This plant grew so well, all colas were full and popcorn buds were almost nonexistent. Yes I removed many inner bud sites during veg but where most strains I've grown would have grown sparse buds inside H.B. grew nice solid buds.
5. Oct. 12 Down came the balance of the Haze Berry. At this stage she had an amber trichome here and there, just starting. If I went by the color of the hairs she would have come down in mid August. Goes to show there are no hard rules set in stone.
6. Oct. 16 The night of the storm that I was expecting sooner or later. Typical fall weather, the changing of the air masses. Seems like every spring and fall the winds roar in to get things changing. We got 50 mph wind gusts and rain. This is where I knew it was over for the greenhouse film. It was very brittle from the UV rays to begin with. I still had the two Blue Dream types and the Critical Kush going. I don't have pictures, there really wasn't enough time. They were visible from the road. The police go down my road once a month or so. They went by in mid Sept. and gave the greenhouse a good look over from their cruiser. I was legal and there never was an issue. By having them visible from the road though, I was in violation of the law. The local news was reporting on legal grows throughout Maine that were stolen. The state police were warning growers to be careful and to keep an eye out. These were organized groups working in waves. First search the grows out then do a drone flyover before the theft. To have the police and local news report on this, giving us a heads up, pledging full support for the victims, and they were following leads was cool. Who would have thought this would be? So needless to say...
7. Oct. 17 After a quick cleanup, down came Blue Dream #1 and Critical Kush. Each filled a large tote. Not how I planed on it going, but hey I'm just playing what's dealt to the girls and me.
8. Oct. 18 I harvested Blue Dream #2. She was the smallest of all 6 plants.

Bubba and Haze Berry each were harvested in two stages and the other four came down all at once, I decided that because of the volume I had no choice but to dry trim. The best I could do was trim a few colas wet for each harvest. That gave me 4 different samples from Bubba and HB. All others came down in one shot, I only have 2 samples for these.

The tag for the pic below should read Blue Dream #1 more than double what BD#2 put out.

Here is Haze Berry being manicured. I had a few different scissors on hand but after trimming Bubba and HGK I had to do better. I would trim 2-3 buds then had to scrape the blades to keep everything from sticking to them, so I bought a pair of curved blade non stick trimmers. Keep a small sponge 2''x3'' maybe with a bit of veg oil poured on top, placed in a shallow bowl or saucer all you do is dab the trimmers on the DAMP sponge and its a dream.

This room used to be my grow room.

I still have a bit more to add to get caught up. I'll set a goal of by this weekend.
Later all
Nice haul! :goodjob:

I roll up the resin on my scissors & hands into trim hash, which is quite good. Old ways.

Grow on!

I got my screens in last week, and I've been playing with them on and off. I had a few bags of small buds and trim leaves I ran through the screens. I have no idea how much they weighed because I don't own a set of scales. I only have a small scale my nephew gave me. It's made by Franklin, and it's for reloading ammunition, and will only weigh up to 49.999 grams.
I had to buy a small kitchen grinder/food processor to chop up the buds. This did a fantastic job breaking up the buds, and allowed me to get 99% of the trichomes in one shot. The less screwing around with the trim the less contaminants. The food chopper got coated inside with trichomes, but they came out easily with a soft paint brush. I also had to oil (veg) the rim of the cover. As the trichomes built up and got sticky, opening and closing the cover was a pain

This is my 150 micron screen I paid $17 +shipping

This is my 70 micron screen where 95% of the sift is collected. I paid $21 + shipping

Here is what I was able to get from my trim/popcorn buds. Rounded weights are: 8g for Bubba Kush, 10g for Holy Grail Kush, 12g for Critical Kush, 11g for Blue Dream #1 and 10g for Blue Dream #2. Absent on photo day was Haze Berry at 4g. About 56g total. Not bad for crappy loose buds. The best thing for me though,
was there were no strong odors in the house, or buckets of ice water, wet bags, wet floors or feet.

In this pic you can see 5 ball from my bud wash tub. after washing each strain I skimmed off the floaties and poured the rest of the wash water into a 5 gal bucket with a 73 micron bubble bag placed in it. As you can see there wasn't much that fell off the plants during the wash. The largest ball came from the Critical Kush and the other 4 are from the 2 BD the HGK and HB. The only one missing is Bubba Kush.

Below the resin balls is the scissor build-up from trimming buds. I pack it in a small vial, that allows it to age well. It looks and smells amazing for what it is. In Maine I'm not allowed to produce hash. At least, this was the law a while back. I'm not going to chance it, until I find out for myself. It's not easy getting a straight answer from the State.

Here you can see a close up of the scissor build up I collected. It came in at 5g. It's a mix of all the strains for what I hope will be a unique, and enjoyable smoke for special occasions.

All I have left to do is trim. They are bagged up and curing. I can trim at my leisure. No idea how much I have, but it's quite a bit. This is what the Blue Dream #2 buds look like. The sugar leaves are all curled around, and protecting the buds. The trim I get from this will be substantial, and will make nice dry sift. I'm thinking of creating edibles with this in the new year. The winters are long, and approaching fast. Today was the first day that the puddles hadn't melted. Shit, I still need to get my garlic in. lol

This is about 2/3 of what I need to do still.
Hoping all is well in your world. Later

Here are a few then and now pics. These things are growing like weeds.
This is Bubba Kush on June 18th
And this is Bubba in training
This is Bubba last week
Haze Berry in training
Haze Berry last week
The whole gang front to back last week
Healthy healthy Very Happy Girlz!!! Congrats! Gud shyt

Awesome update...glorious job!

Trim hash is one of my fave treats from trimming!

Dunno if I'm gonna do some dry sifting this winter. I'll decide later. I do know I grew enough to last me more than 3 yrs at my usual consumption level. Soooo, if i find some dead time, I'll prolly make some dry sift.

Awesome work!

@kgg634 how do you think 180 mesh would work for dry sift?

@kgg634 how do you think 180 mesh would work for dry sift?
Hey Bud. Thanks, I'm pleased. But I must give credit to the GIRLS. They did all the real work!

As far as the 180 I don't think it would make much difference. If I had a 180 I wouldn't have bothered to get the 150. Its all in the prep I guess. If your smoke gets nice and crispy throughout then it will be a breeze. If not, like mine, they're too sticky still, breaking it up won't work. Whether you're pinching by hand or using scissors you're crushing the shit out of the trics. So I used a cheap mini food grinder. I filled it half way and chopped it up. It was a dream. It allowed me to easily get the trics without pushing the trim into the screen. And cleaning out the grinder was like a bonus. I used my loupe throughout this ordeal monitoring what was happening to the trics The results were clean enough for me. Maybe I'll card some, for shits and giggles, some really boring day.
Later Bud

Hey Kosmic, hope all's well. I noticed you're from New England and you've been growing for a while, Did you grow this year? Are you an indoor, outdoor, or any way you can grower? Glad you popped in.
Hey brotha, yea I have a active journal. Check it out. Nothing spectacular but Im kinda getn back ob my feet. Im in the 5/6th week of flower now. Fighting the Freezing Cold n snow in my garage! I got it under control now. Buds lukn gud so far! Xheck out mt thread. F2 Autos/ Fem clone. My own Autos. I crossed them.

Hope all is well in your world.

Thanks for sharing this grow with us.

Please head over to the 420 Strain Reviews forum and post your smoke report there too.

I’m moving this to Completed Journals now.

Have you started a new grow you would like to share with us?

If so, please feel free to start a new journal here: Journals in Progress

You can use the Report feature found at the bottom left of every post and we'll move it for you right away.

Sending you lots of love and positive energy.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom