2018 Organic Greenhouse Grow: 6 Strains

The past two week have been a bit busy even though things are slowing down a bit. It's going to be a really busy harvest season. The weather is changing a bit. nights are in the 40's. The greenhouse has been running at 80 to 90 degrees daytime and humidity at 40% to 50% on average. flowering is taking off as the stretch has stopped - almost. No worries about the plants touching the film anymore, I may need to bend a few colas down a few inches but nothing drastic that could break any stems.
I also have noticed differences in the way the different strains grew. For example Haze Berry was a bit stubborn in getting it to branch out with good dominant leaders it always seemed to favor one more than the others causing the plant to grow sort of lopsided. It also made her a bit more open. She's not a disappointment by any means though. She didn't stretch as much as the others. She started to bloom fairly early too as a plus for a sativa. Haze Berry started to bloom 3rd out of the six, just after Bubba Kush and Blue Dream #2. I'd say a good 7 to 10 days behind B.K. I'm happy as shit though. Because of where she is in the gh I didn't have to take out many lower branches so I'm getting to see how the thinner branches do. Here's where because of my having never grown a sativa outside here in Maine's short summers or in the ground where they have the run, I get to see what she wants to do. I've only grown sativa indoors so this is new to me and I really like what I see. Aside from being an early bloomer she's also a really nice bloomer. Where she didn't stretch as much she still manages to really rack up the buds, even on the thinner side branches. I've mentioned before that her leaves were more indica than sativa during veg but now she's now putting out more sativa type leaves. Not really important but a trait for her. Haze Berry doesn't have that many smaller leaves through out the buds either. Again a really nice strain so far.
The other strain that was stubborn was Holy Grail Kush. Another lopsided vegger. It never wanted more than one leader. Then two thirds way through the veg she took off then came the stretch!
She didn't start to bloom till last, with Blue Dream #1 and Critical Kush was dead last by a week.
Blue Dream #1 and #2 are showing some cool differences. Both were free seeds. No great expectations on my part, more like lottery tickets. Well #2 is one tough plant. Stems made of steel. She also differs in the way the leaders grew. Pinching cause nice multiple leaders and because I stopped pinching a bit too soon on this one too she's now a wide 'v' shaped bush, nice branches ending in wide colas , Blue Dream #1 is just as nice but stems are a bit pliable still. These two are about a week apart in bloom with #1 blooming later. Bud structure and leaf ratios are about the same for both, really good, #2 is just beefier. Hybrid vigor or plain old DNA, its all in the dice here but I like what I see.
Critical Kush is a toss up here. I've grown this before indoors and loved it. Just they were Barney's seeds and these are Royal Queen. Had good luck with RQ before so I figured why not. Everything looks good but she's dead last in flower. But in no way too late. She has awesome tops that are well branched and huge.
The nice thing is these three plants (Critical Blue Dream #1 and Holy Grail Kush) all benefit most from the expanded wall I put in. Before I blew out the wall a bit I couldn't get in behind these three without causing damage so they didn't get limbed up like the greenhouse aisle was. This has made for some nice branches after I thinned out the weak and spindly growth. They are able to grow close to the ground here.

I got a spider mite outbreak I had to deal with. I was doing my routine walk through removing large leaves above and all leaves below light penetration level. I noticed leaves with the tell tale yellowing on either side of the midrib of a leaf blade. I found four leaves and looked at them under a scope. Yup, sure enough. Reddish brown mites. I did 2 sprays 7 days apart with neem. After the first week I saw a few hatched eggs and mites letting me know the eggs that survived the first spray were hatching. So I did a second spray. I've looked them over as well as I can and I see no other infected leaves. Did I get lucky and find the outbreak and nip it in the bud? Yeah right no such luck! Well I'll give them a fight. I look over them daily, Its relaxing now that the heat has backed off a bit. I had a low of 39 in the greenhouse Saturday night. I can expect a frost by the 15th on average and a killing frost by the first of October. This means I need to hook up the heater now. Humidity has been lower than expected, low 30's on average. Still to keep the greenhouse on the dry side I've been watering less with the sprayer and did a few deep soakings, about 10 gal each. The last watering on Saturday I gave them their last boost. I used fish/kelp liquid again. I will not give them anything besides water (sparingly) for the rest of the grow now. As far as the watering goes, because I laid back on spraying the ground and doing deep waterings, Its my hopes that it driving the feeder roots a bit deeper and I wont have to water so much, allowing me to keep the humidity down. If I can keep humidity in the 30's I'm ok I believe? The girls have never wilted from lack of water or heat surprising considering how hot this summer was. I'm pretty sure they don't need me to water them much if we have a normal fall. Usually falls are a bit wet especially in October so if we do there should be enough rain water seeping around the perimeter. Its a plan but who knows what's coming.
The best thing so far is the enjoyment I get. Nothings riding on this grow. I'm not a heavy smoker. 4 lids a year for me. I give away lots. I gave away a bit too much this past year cause I'm down to the stuff from when I'm all trimmed out of my mind at the end of the harvest and my standards get quite extreme . Any reason to not manicure it and chuck it in the rainy day box becomes a relief. Well I'm glad I did. Every day! Relaxing into the grow has allowed me to play with the plants a bit. I'm trying a few things. On Blue dream #2 I really went to town on half of the plant, taking out all inner bud sites and all fan leaves to allow even light up and down the tops. Lots of playing around on these and the other half is left to its own. All I've done is training and keeping them supported. Hoping to see if there are any differences, positive or negative.

At the start of flower on all the plants I marked the top most leaf by ripping the tips off the three center blades. I used this deformed leaf as an easy way to measure growth from start of bloom. Some added on a lot of growth a foot or more and others grew 3 -4 inches.
Bubba has a few experiments going on with her too. Aside from my leaving a portion of het alone I trained the rest like BD #2 but way more severely. I even pinched a few tops to see the results. And I'm even taking advantage of the shady side of Bubba by letting a few branches fill the space. I did some creative things to see how the plant would produce in less than desirable conditions. I'm just having a lot of fun while respecting the plant.
Here are some current pics

These two pics are of Bubba Kush taken from both sides. Man did she stretch

Here's what they look like on the side where I extended the wall a bit.
This is Blue Dream #1 in the foreground and Critical Kush behind the PVC
Looking down the side
Holy Grail Kush
Blue Dream #2 on the end
This is Haze Berry in her cage. Shes a bit lopsided and open but looks so nice. This one has me looking forward to the finish line most.
Here's a shot from a step ladder, notice how lopsided she is. she always favored one leader and didn't stretch much.
Here are three shots of Haze Berry's buds

Blue Dream #1 She's a bit later than the rest and is a bit leafier than #2
This is Bubba Kush You can see how I took out the small bud sites and fan leaves
Blue Dream #2
This is looking back to front from a step ladder
Holy Grail Kush top.

Well sorry to be so winded but its really nice to have a working keyboard. Hope all is going well for everyone and I'll be around the garden.

Beautiful work! & growing is just that, but you are doing spectacularly.

Home stretch, now. Kudos & congrats!

Beautiful work! & growing is just that, but you are doing spectacularly.

Home stretch, now. Kudos & congrats![/QU
Thanks Buddy. I've been strait out the past two weeks. Thank God there have been no serious issues. Getting really close to harvest on a few plants. I'll be posting an update tonight. Hope all's well in your neck of the woods.

Its been a while. Getting things ready. got my drying room set. Its been a bit on the cool side the past few nights. mid 30's. Heater keeps them warm and most importantly dry. Looking like I may be harvesting Bubba Kush around the 6th. Then Holy Grail Kush followed by Critical Kush a week or so later then Haze Berry at the end of Oct. The two Blue Dream types are a guess. They really have a Sativa bud structure loose, long and covered in frost. amazing looking but if they aren't ready before Thanksgiving I'm screwed. or I mean they're screwed. Right now the star is the Haze Berry. Nice buds, dense not leafy and zero bud rot. She's a long bloomer but also an early bloomer. She should be ready by mid Oct. Everyone that's been in the G.H. comments on her. Its all depends on the smoke now. I still cant figure the Critical Kush out. She was late blooming and even though she sets a lot of buds they're pretty sparse still. Maybe she's one of those that takes off towards the end of her flowering.
My job now seems to be checking for bud rot and keeping the air circulating. I have two new fans along with the stand up. I have some serious air movement going on in there now.
here are some shots of them from a few days ago.
Bubba Kush
Bubba Kush

Another close up of Bubba
Haze Berry
Haze Berry
Here's a shot from above

Looking absolutely fantastic!

Whether by plan or just luck, the staggered harvest is always great. Nice to able to dedicate harvesting, trimming, curing sequentially!!

I've grown Crit Kush & it was one of my faves. Enough so that it's on my GROW AGAIN list. I found it very resistant to PM & rot during a horribly wet outdoor season two years ago & the resin production, flavor, yield & quality was sensational. But it's all about the phenos.

If you end up having to take down the BD early, you may still get great bud. I've had to take plants down early in wet falls & have found I really prefer early harvests to those at peak strength--the flavor is better & the high is too, for me.

These days, I take everything down about a week before peak strength.

Nice work, amigo. Thanks for the update, I'd been wondering how you & the grow were going.

Well I had to cut a few good size buds due to rot. I always cut down below the rot site quite a bit. This gives me a bit of what's above the site to test. I know what speed dried weed tastes like and they're early but I can get a base line of what I'm starting with. They were very clean tasting. Not harsh, my lungs didn't spasm. a bit of taste developing and very light ash. This is what has me looking forward most about the grow. All past grows were with someone else and they all loved additives and sprays. If the bottle was cool and expensive it had to be good. Some are I'm sure. This grow is all on me and the speed dried test was encouraging.

I tried a piece of Haze Berry and since I'm no longer a heavy toker I might be a lightweight again but I know what I like. This shit might kill me. Smoked a bowl 4or 5 hits and an hour later I had done as much as I did the whole day. Was nice should only get better.
Here are some pics.
Haze Berry As you can see she looks nice. All who visit choose her a their favorite
Haze Berry
Holy Grail Kush
Here you can see how the blue dream types are dong. Very loose buds not many flowers but lots of trichromes .

The Critical Kush still has me puzzled. Loose buds, slow bloomer maybe a late pheno.

Bubba Kush
Holy Grail Kush below

Indeedy! Lovely work.

And if you like it, @Gort don't forget to hit the like button. Collegial courtesy and all that.

Kinda hard to tell, but based on the leaves that Crit. Kush looks like a sativa-leaning pheno, which might explain the bud structure...

Kinda hard to tell, but based on the leaves that Crit. Kush looks like a sativa-leaning pheno, which might explain the bud structure...
There is definitely something different from the c.k. from Barney's I grew back in 2013. Slow start of bloom but has just been ripping it the past week. The hairs have formed pompoms now and looks like it may be just like what I was expecting.
I agree she does look like a sativa now that you mention it. She's smack dab in between the two Blue Dream type plants and looked very similar in the beginning. Maybe peer pressure!
I took down Bubba Fri. Bud rot was popping up daily. Not bad because I've gotten pretty good at spotting it, but she was 99% cloudy. Good enough for me.

By the way Bud, what do you personally consider peak? 100% cloudy or do you like some amber? The Haze Berry is 90% cloudy yet everything I've read say's shes done in late Oct. Not much out there about her. Could I be so Lucky to get any early pheno that looks amazing Is rot proof so far and done in early Oct. Amazing It's all in the smoke now as to whether she's a keeper or not.

There is definitely something different from the c.k. from Barney's I grew back in 2013. Slow start of bloom but has just been ripping it the past week. The hairs have formed pompoms now and looks like it may be just like what I was expecting.
I agree she does look like a sativa now that you mention it. She's smack dab in between the two Blue Dream type plants and looked very similar in the beginning. Maybe peer pressure!
I took down Bubba Fri. Bud rot was popping up daily. Not bad because I've gotten pretty good at spotting it, but she was 99% cloudy. Good enough for me.

By the way Bud, what do you personally consider peak? 100% cloudy or do you like some amber? The Haze Berry is 90% cloudy yet everything I've read say's shes done in late Oct. Not much out there about her. Could I be so Lucky to get any early pheno that looks amazing Is rot proof so far and done in early Oct. Amazing It's all in the smoke now as to whether she's a keeper or not.

Phenos happen ;) No line is really without some variation. Although Critical Kush is only about 10% sativa, there's still a chance of getting a sativa-like pheno & the leaf structure on yours certainly looks sativa like.

I've written about this many times on the site, but here goes: I harvest everything (hybrids, sativas, indicas) early (before peak strength). This is because for me, peak strength does not provide the best high.

I've found that when I harvest a bit early, the indicas are less sedative & the sativas have a trippier stone, plus everything actually tastes much more flavorful than later harvests.

I've found since that this is not so uncommon. But I stumbled onto it in years past, when I had to harvest my grow a bit early due a soggy fall and rot threat.

I’ve since mixed it up, taking part of my plants earlier and comparing them to later harvests of the same plant. In every case, I liked the earlier harvests’ buzz much better regardless of strain, though the later cuts were definitely stronger. Again, the earlier cuts had decidedly better & more pronounced flavor, too.

So now, I take everything down prior to peak strength. I think this is also why I often find dispensary weed to be a bit lacking—it’s mostly grown for peak strength.

I often urge folks to try a staggered harvest on the same plant to see what they prefer.

Regarding trichome condition, I know most on the site would consider me a moron, because I don't even look much at trichrome condition (don't even own a stinking loupe). I just look at the bud structure & the weather & make my decision on when to cut...but I also have grown on & off for almost 40 yrs (obviously: mostly stealth grows). Works for me. I don't advocate that anyone else take that approach, but I do advocate that I do. & at this point in my life, I'm not concerned what others think of my approach.

Finally, regarding your question "Could I be so Lucky to get any early pheno that looks amazing Is rot proof so far and done in early Oct." Yes, you absolutely could. The Lemon Meringue I grew last year was highly resistant & finished in early-ish mid-Oct, though everything online indicated late-Oct. to early Nov.

And always best to judge the plant in front of you & not what's written about it. The written stuff isn't meant to be misleading, but is about the average pheno from a strain & pheno's can be much different than average.

If you're at all interested in cloning, you might try cloning your early girl rot-resistant Haze Berry before the chop. I don't clone (for reasons I won't list here), but frankly I've had several plants that I regret not cloning. But I think I can live with the regrets...;):p

Grow on, amigo. You've done a great job, this year's grow is a beauty, despite some challenges, plus you've learned a lot! And will also have plenty of excellent smoke this winter! !:goodjob:

Phenos happen ;) No line is really without some variation. Although Critical Kush is only about 10% sativa, there's still a chance of getting a sativa-like pheno & the leaf structure on yours certainly looks sativa like.

I've written about this many times on the site, but here goes: I harvest everything (hybrids, sativas, indicas) early (before peak strength). This is because for me, peak strength does not provide the best high.

I've found that when I harvest a bit early, the indicas are less sedative & the sativas have a trippier stone, plus everything actually tastes much more flavorful than later harvests.

I've found since that this is not so uncommon. But I stumbled onto it in years past, when I had to harvest my grow a bit early due a soggy fall and rot threat.

I’ve since mixed it up, taking part of my plants earlier and comparing them to later harvests of the same plant. In every case, I liked the earlier harvests’ buzz much better regardless of strain, though the later cuts were definitely stronger. Again, the earlier cuts had decidedly better & more pronounced flavor, too.

So now, I take everything down prior to peak strength. I think this is also why I often find dispensary weed to be a bit lacking—it’s mostly grown for peak strength.

I often urge folks to try a staggered harvest on the same plant to see what they prefer.

Regarding trichome condition, I know most on the site would consider me a moron, because I don't even look much at trichrome condition (don't even own a stinking loupe). I just look at the bud structure & the weather & make my decision on when to cut...but I also have grown on & off for almost 40 yrs (obviously: mostly stealth grows). Works for me. I don't advocate that anyone else take that approach, but I do advocate that I do. & at this point in my life, I'm not concerned what others think of my approach.

Finally, regarding your question "Could I be so Lucky to get any early pheno that looks amazing Is rot proof so far and done in early Oct." Yes, you absolutely could. The Lemon Meringue I grew last year was highly resistant & finished in early-ish mid-Oct, though everything online indicated late-Oct. to early Nov.

And always best to judge the plant in front of you & not what's written about it. The written stuff isn't meant to be misleading, but is about the average pheno from a strain & pheno's can be much different than average.

If you're at all interested in cloning, you might try cloning your early girl rot-resistant Haze Berry before the chop. I don't clone (for reasons I won't list here), but frankly I've had several plants that I regret not cloning. But I think I can live with the regrets...;):p

Grow on, amigo. You've done a great job, this year's grow is a beauty, despite some challenges, plus you've learned a lot! And will also have plenty of excellent smoke this winter! !:goodjob:
Thank you for the info. I guess I thought that seed companies had worked out the stability for a particular strain they introduce (like vegetable seeds). Not a bad thing though, I like the possibilities. If I was a market grower this would be a negative. It also explains why my Holy Grail has almost no smell at all. Not the typical Kush. I already have clones of all the girls in case I have something special and want to grow it again. Haze B. is the only one I would keep as it stands today.

As I stated in a past post I'm having fun and with this grow. That includes doing exactly like you say-harvesting a cola labeling it with the name and chop date. I'm doing this to all. I have one cola of each dated and drying now and plan on taking a cut each week till I harvest. This way I can say from my own experience when it's the best harvest time for what I like in a smoke. I still have some Bubba growing to compare to earlier harvests. Also comparing wet trim to dry trim for myself.

I will be taking down the Haze B starting today and staggering it for a week maybe more. Most will come down this weekend. She looks done. Fan leaves are mostly yellow and falling and the hairs are all brown even the tips of the colas.

I think you know what you are doing from experience and a true love of growing. These are things we cant read about or watch a video to learn. These are tools. We all need to pay our dues through trial and error and your 40 years counts for something. I do appreciate your help and encouragement.

And I agree that peak doesn't mean best. What I like for myself is best. Well out to the GH I go to see what the rain did. We have had more rain this past two weeks than all summer. My lawn died and the Fall colors suck this year. But we do have a bumper crop of mushrooms. Cant take a step without stepping on one.

Thank you for the info. I guess I thought that seed companies had worked out the stability for a particular strain they introduce (like vegetable seeds). Not a bad thing though, I like the possibilities. If I was a market grower this would be a negative. It also explains why my Holy Grail has almost no smell at all. Not the typical Kush. I already have clones of all the girls in case I have something special and want to grow it again. Haze B. is the only one I would keep as it stands today.

As I stated in a past post I'm having fun and with this grow. That includes doing exactly like you say-harvesting a cola labeling it with the name and chop date. I'm doing this to all. I have one cola of each dated and drying now and plan on taking a cut each week till I harvest. This way I can say from my own experience when it's the best harvest time for what I like in a smoke. I still have some Bubba growing to compare to earlier harvests. Also comparing wet trim to dry trim for myself.

I will be taking down the Haze B starting today and staggering it for a week maybe more. Most will come down this weekend. She looks done. Fan leaves are mostly yellow and falling and the hairs are all brown even the tips of the colas.

I think you know what you are doing from experience and a true love of growing. These are things we cant read about or watch a video to learn. These are tools. We all need to pay our dues through trial and error and your 40 years counts for something. I do appreciate your help and encouragement.

And I agree that peak doesn't mean best. What I like for myself is best. Well out to the GH I go to see what the rain did. We have had more rain this past two weeks than all summer. My lawn died and the Fall colors suck this year. But we do have a bumper crop of mushrooms. Cant take a step without stepping on one.
Glad you're enjoying the ride! If one doesn't enjoy the little things, life can be a pain milkshake.

My 40 yrs doesn't count for that much. Just more time to make more mistakes, some of which I like to think I learned from.

Staggered harvests are a pleasure. I'm lucking out this year in that everything's been ready at about a week apart. Sorta how I'd planned it, but when plans are realized, there's still a lot of luck involved.

There's still a decent amount of variation in most strains, some more than others. But it's that way even with commercial gardening whether with plant starts or seeds--I've got 5 Italian Roaster pepper plants finishing their season and they could not be more different. One's 5 feet, another is under a foot. Also vary widely in productivity and heat of the peppers.

One of the great pleasures of growing is growing for one's own taste...can't be done via retail.

I'm happy to help, but more importantly, yours is a great journal. Good attitude, good technique, tremendous attention to the ecology of growing, and most importantly great resilience when thrown a curve by the plants...heartfelt kudos, amigo.

Glad you're enjoying the ride! If one doesn't enjoy the little things, life can be a pain milkshake.

My 40 yrs doesn't count for that much. Just more time to make more mistakes, some of which I like to think I learned from.

Staggered harvests are a pleasure. I'm lucking out this year in that everything's been ready at about a week apart. Sorta how I'd planned it, but when plans are realized, there's still a lot of luck involved.

There's still a decent amount of variation in most strains, some more than others. But it's that way even with commercial gardening whether with plant starts or seeds--I've got 5 Italian Roaster pepper plants finishing their season and they could not be more different. One's 5 feet, another is under a foot. Also vary widely in productivity and heat of the peppers.

One of the great pleasures of growing is growing for one's own taste...can't be done via retail.

I'm happy to help, but more importantly, yours is a great journal. Good attitude, good technique, tremendous attention to the ecology of growing, and most importantly great resilience when thrown a curve by the plants...heartfelt kudos, amigo.
How you doing Bud? Hope all is well. Been a while for me. Things are a bit crazy here. I've said before that I don't have help only tourists that pop in around this time of year. So funny when I think of it. I don't think they're being selfish it's just they really don't understand how much work is involved but I'm still having fun. All the plants are down now and I miss spending time in the greenhouse.

I have so much to add to my journal when things calm down a bit. Thankfully my drying room is an old spare room that's out of the way and I can let things happen without much worry.

Thank you for the kudos. I really mean it. Just couldn't imagine doing it any other way. I learned the basics from my Grandfather and my Grandmother. They came from Quebec in the 1920's and had lots of knowledge they passed on to me, not because I needed to know this to survive like they did, but because I was interested in it. I just wish I'd had
more time with them.

I'm working on my new post and it should be up today. Later

How you doing Bud? Hope all is well. Been a while for me. Things are a bit crazy here. I've said before that I don't have help only tourists that pop in around this time of year. So funny when I think of it. I don't think they're being selfish it's just they really don't understand how much work is involved but I'm still having fun. All the plants are down now and I miss spending time in the greenhouse.

I have so much to add to my journal when things calm down a bit. Thankfully my drying room is an old spare room that's out of the way and I can let things happen without much worry.

Thank you for the kudos. I really mean it. Just couldn't imagine doing it any other way. I learned the basics from my Grandfather and my Grandmother. They came from Quebec in the 1920's and had lots of knowledge they passed on to me, not because I needed to know this to survive like they did, but because I was interested in it. I just wish I'd had
more time with them.

I'm working on my new post and it should be up today. Later
Que onda, gran amigo? (=”what’s the wavelength, great friend”)

All of this year’s weed been hacked, trimmed, dried, & is now curing. Gonna be my last grow for awhile—as mentioned, I a big believer of letting plots go fallow & not planting the same plants in same places every year, as a strategy for minimizing pests.

Came out great, BTW…tried some of the frost leaf trim from my mongrel “El Chuy” (Lambs BreadxSourDieselxJesusOGxTrainwreck) & it’s bone rattlingly mind bending (& vice versa) Get’s my Seal of Upheaval!

But I was pretty satisfied w/ all the mongrels I grew from very cheap local seeds, including this “Purple Goat” (TrainwreckxBig BudxSkunkxJack the Ripper)

So I got 100+ hours of solo trimming behind me, which I did at the concurrent with harvesting the last of my chiles, basil, oregano, tomatoes, kale, mint, sunflowers, & thyme, including getting them dried or otherwise preserved & stored. Lotta work, most of which I enjoyed.

Pretty cool that you got to learn directly from your ancestors. Nothing sharpens skills as much as necessity. If you wish you had more time with them, remember to feel fortunate for the time you did have with them…we’re all on that same road to who-knows-where. Time with anyone that has a piece of the puzzle is a fleeting, rare, & precious thing!

Glad that you’re satisfied with how it came out, because you should be—really great job all around & most importantly, exercising resiliency and employing the learners mind—the most information comes from absorbing what the plants, soil, sun, and weather are doing. One of the (many) great shames of western civilization is that so many try to control nature, (often pointlessly and reflexively), including trying to eradicate the attendant uncertainty, rather than learning to rock, as well as, roll with it. Too bad, because the path that can only be found by learning & not dictating is so damn interesting & pleasurable, really.

But perhaps, this civilization will make its way back to working with what little is left of nature. It’s probably going to have to, too, sooner than many would like to believe. Not much of it left, but nature still bats last!

Digression over…

Again, great journal & great work! Yours was easily among the very best journals I’ve seen on this site. I really enjoyed reading every bit of your documentation of your journey.

Grow on, comrade @kgg634 !

Sorry for the delay. I lost all my work due to a screw up on my part. I have so much to hit on so to make it simpler (for me to be honest), I need to put it in a timeline for it to make sense. I hope! Now...... where to begin?

Everything is down.
Bubba Kush was first. The October weather has been normal for Maine. Warm to cold in a matter of hours, rainy and windy as hell. Well the greenhouse is in sad shape. Cheap plastic on its second season is pushing it by any measure. The fact that this was one of the driest summers I can remember and hottest to boot helped. Excess heat and watering wasn't an issue. Because the greenhouse is only 20' long, opening up the north end allowed her to cool down easily with a few fans.
But the covering was getting beat by the heat and UV rays. I had more clear tape on it than I care to admit to. Yet I can't say I regret not putting on my new greenhouse poly film. I'm now thinking of a revamp not just new film. Maybe taller but wider for sure. I want to be able to walk around them and look them eye to eye. Although I will miss having Guns N' Roses 'welcome to the jungle" stuck in my head at least once a week.
Now that the rain and wind started, so did leak chasing . Not because I didn't try, the girls still got wet. This spelled death for Bubba. It was already breeding millions of spores. It came down in two stages 6 days apart. I removed the fan leaves and gave them a weak peroxide and water bath. Using warm water, when I put my hand in it I can't feel much of a temperature difference as the bath. 5 gallons water mixed with approximately 9 ounces of 3% hydrogen peroxide well mixed. I used a standard large tote. Making sure all my branches were shorter than the depth of the bucket. Branches were soaked for a 30 seconds then flipped over to soak on their back sides because weed floats. This softens all the dust, dried bug poop and whatever else. I did see small oil spots on the water as they soaked. This had to have come from the neem spray. I did 2 applications a week apart I think back in late August. I then moved the bunch back and forth to help release the dirt and oil before taking it out and letting it drip for a few seconds. Then it was a dip into a 5 gallon bucket of cool water, not cold for a few seconds. Remove from the bucket and have a plan to place them somewhere to drip. I liked the clothes basket when washing inside and my clothes line for when I worked outside on a deck.

After washing each strain I skimmed the top of the water in the wash tote getting as many of the floaties as possible. I then had an empty 5 gallon bucket with a 73 micron bubble bag. I poured the wash water and collected the sediment. Not bad and not much. Each plant was different in size but the two ;largest Blue Dream #1 and Critical Kush gave up about a fat pea sized ball of sticky trics and such. It's the only bag I have left so I couldn't pre-screen with a larger mic bag like a 140 or so.
I don't feel like I did any harm and the color of the wash water said it all.

The color of the wash looks a bit yellower than it really was. I was too tired to change the settings on the camera.

Here you can see how I hanged Haze Berry outside on the clothes line after a wash

I'll be working on the next post today. I'll go over the drying room and the trim station. I hope all's well for everyone

Que onda, gran amigo? (=”what’s the wavelength, great friend”)

All of this year’s weed been hacked, trimmed, dried, & is now curing. Gonna be my last grow for awhile—as mentioned, I a big believer of letting plots go fallow & not planting the same plants in same places every year, as a strategy for minimizing pests.

Came out great, BTW…tried some of the frost leaf trim from my mongrel “El Chuy” (Lambs BreadxSourDieselxJesusOGxTrainwreck) & it’s bone rattlingly mind bending (& vice versa) Get’s my Seal of Upheaval!

But I was pretty satisfied w/ all the mongrels I grew from very cheap local seeds, including this “Purple Goat” (TrainwreckxBig BudxSkunkxJack the Ripper)

So I got 100+ hours of solo trimming behind me, which I did at the concurrent with harvesting the last of my chiles, basil, oregano, tomatoes, kale, mint, sunflowers, & thyme, including getting them dried or otherwise preserved & stored. Lotta work, most of which I enjoyed.

Pretty cool that you got to learn directly from your ancestors. Nothing sharpens skills as much as necessity. If you wish you had more time with them, remember to feel fortunate for the time you did have with them…we’re all on that same road to who-knows-where. Time with anyone that has a piece of the puzzle is a fleeting, rare, & precious thing!

Glad that you’re satisfied with how it came out, because you should be—really great job all around & most importantly, exercising resiliency and employing the learners mind—the most information comes from absorbing what the plants, soil, sun, and weather are doing. One of the (many) great shames of western civilization is that so many try to control nature, (often pointlessly and reflexively), including trying to eradicate the attendant uncertainty, rather than learning to rock, as well as, roll with it. Too bad, because the path that can only be found by learning & not dictating is so damn interesting & pleasurable, really.

But perhaps, this civilization will make its way back to working with what little is left of nature. It’s probably going to have to, too, sooner than many would like to believe. Not much of it left, but nature still bats last!

Digression over…

Again, great journal & great work! Yours was easily among the very best journals I’ve seen on this site. I really enjoyed reading every bit of your documentation of your journey.

Grow on, comrade @kgg634 !
Glad to hear all's well in your part of the world. We seem to be in the same boat. I canned my tomatoes with onions and peppers I grew. I keep salt out from all I make and my stewed tomatoes last most of the winter. I grew spaghetti squash. potatoes, butternut squash, loose neck and stiff neck garlic and 3 types of onions to put up for the winter. My corn got destroyed by squirrels. They stripped each and every ear off the plants. It looked like a bomb went off. Years ago I had a moose go through the garden eating all the tops off the green pepper plants, but that wasn't nearly as much damage as the little rodents did. The worst thing about the moose damage was the holes left in the beds. My soil was fluffy and they sank a good foot into them. They didn't stick to the path! Funny now, wasn't then.
The nicest part was growing 4 giant pumpkins with my two grandnieces aged 2 and 3. They planted them and watched them grow to about 30 lbs. each. They were carved this past Saturday and watching my nieces having fun was special. My brother in-law using a reciprocating saw on them was special too. What a mess
All I have left in the garden are my French fillet beans I'm drying for seed.

I swear you're reading between the lines my friend. When I read this post it hit me. The part where you said ''Time with anyone that has a piece of the puzzle is a fleeting, rare, & precious thing!' really hit home. For the past 2 years I've been caring for my Mom at home. She is the typical French Mom, Memere (grandmother) and Matriarch. She now needs help daily, and I'm glad I'm in the position to be there. The past month has been rough on her, and I'm seeing things that scare me, but I'm making the most of what we have left, which I pray is a long time. Our time together is precious and I make the most of it, hoping to have as few regrets as possible later in life.

I like how you grew what you call 'mutts'. They had really impressive lineage. The names used are cool. My favorite name was Hippie Killer, I grew it about 4-5 yrs. ago. Your plants looked sweet, and I really like the Idea of breeding seeds. Maybe one of my next adventures. No need to take out a second mortgage to buy seeds.

I liked your Spanish quote. It was a blast from the past. My names Ken and belive me I still get the hey 'what's the frequency Kenneth' greeting from my closest friends.

P.S. I couldn't agree more Mon Ami, I too feel a good digression coming on. Paix

Now to touch on harvesting. I had to plan around what the plants were telling me. I didn't want a house full of wilting branches, so I had to plan a bit. As far as trichomes go I went with mostly cloudy for most plants or as the plants needed to come down for a few different reasons. I'll go over these reasons in the plant by plant descriptions below. Here's the order they came down in :
1. Sept. 28 I harvested half of the Bubba Kush. Mainly the top colas. Bud rot was getting out of hand and this was the best option.
2. Oct. 4 I harvested the balance of the Bubba
3. Oct. 5 I harvested all of the Holy Grail Kush. She had a bit of bud rot but nowhere as bad as the Bubba. She was a smaller plant so I was able to get her harvested in one shot. It also was easy to de-fan leaf it wash and hang before the next in line.
4. Oct. 6 Half of the Haze Berry came down. Not the top colas but everything on one side. This plant grew so well, all colas were full and popcorn buds were almost nonexistent. Yes I removed many inner bud sites during veg but where most strains I've grown would have grown sparse buds inside H.B. grew nice solid buds.
5. Oct. 12 Down came the balance of the Haze Berry. At this stage she had an amber trichome here and there, just starting. If I went by the color of the hairs she would have come down in mid August. Goes to show there are no hard rules set in stone.
6. Oct. 16 The night of the storm that I was expecting sooner or later. Typical fall weather, the changing of the air masses. Seems like every spring and fall the winds roar in to get things changing. We got 50 mph wind gusts and rain. This is where I knew it was over for the greenhouse film. It was very brittle from the UV rays to begin with. I still had the two Blue Dream types and the Critical Kush going. I don't have pictures, there really wasn't enough time. They were visible from the road. The police go down my road once a month or so. They went by in mid Sept. and gave the greenhouse a good look over from their cruiser. I was legal and there never was an issue. By having them visible from the road though, I was in violation of the law. The local news was reporting on legal grows throughout Maine that were stolen. The state police were warning growers to be careful and to keep an eye out. These were organized groups working in waves. First search the grows out then do a drone flyover before the theft. To have the police and local news report on this, giving us a heads up, pledging full support for the victims, and they were following leads was cool. Who would have thought this would be? So needless to say...
7. Oct. 17 After a quick cleanup, down came Blue Dream #1 and Critical Kush. Each filled a large tote. Not how I planed on it going, but hey I'm just playing what's dealt to the girls and me.
8. Oct. 18 I harvested Blue Dream #2. She was the smallest of all 6 plants.

Bubba and Haze Berry each were harvested in two stages and the other four came down all at once, I decided that because of the volume I had no choice but to dry trim. The best I could do was trim a few colas wet for each harvest. That gave me 4 different samples from Bubba and HB. All others came down in one shot, I only have 2 samples for these.

The tag for the pic below should read Blue Dream #1 more than double what BD#2 put out.

Here is Haze Berry being manicured. I had a few different scissors on hand but after trimming Bubba and HGK I had to do better. I would trim 2-3 buds then had to scrape the blades to keep everything from sticking to them, so I bought a pair of curved blade non stick trimmers. Keep a small sponge 2''x3'' maybe with a bit of veg oil poured on top, placed in a shallow bowl or saucer all you do is dab the trimmers on the DAMP sponge and its a dream.

This room used to be my grow room.

I still have a bit more to add to get caught up. I'll set a goal of by this weekend.
Later all

Back
Top Bottom