400 Watt MH/HPS - Auto Bubblicious x 4 - Tent Grow

Donny Danko

Welcome to my first indoor grow!

I currently have 4 nirvana feminized Bubbleicious autos in Dr Earths Homegrown Organic POTting soil. They are about 2 1/2 weeks old. They are under 400 watt MH and will be switched to HPS for flowering (still unsure of when to switch as I am growing autos).

The tent is 3.5'x3.5'x6.5''. The reflector is a gullwing and is not air-cooled. Passive intake flap is open and the exhaust is a ~430 cfm 6" duct fan hooked up to a Carbon Filter. There is also a small clip on fan which blows on the plants. The first week or so, temps in the tent reached 84f, but it is fall now and cooling quickly. Right now average tent temp is around 74f. I live in a low humidity area, so I have been averaging about 30% rh with a humidifier running 24/7.

I am planning to use fox farm nute trio, but I am hesitant to start using them as I have read that autos are nute-sensitive and I believe my soil is on the hot side. The girls are in ~3.7 gallon pots but they are not very full as I only had 12 gallons of soil. I have also noticed that this soil has poor drainage, so I probably should have added some perlite. I have been very conscious not to over-water, so I let the pots get pretty light between waterings.

Speaking of water, I am using distilled and no, I don't have a ph tester yet but i know it's pretty important. Anyway, what else? 20-4 light schedule, lights about 18" from tops.... Pics to come!

Some pics of the girls/setup.
image14869.jpg
image14865.jpg
image14866.jpg
image14868.jpg
image14867.jpg
image14864.jpg
image14860.jpg
image14862.jpg

So I will probably be flooding this thread with posts. One thing I have discovered about growing is that it takes a great deal of patience, which is a virtue that I lack. That is why I started this journal. I love to talk about weed and growing but I don't really have anyone to talk to that is as passionate about it as me. Even if nobody responds, it makes me feel good to know that people are reading what I write.

Anyway, I have a small fungus gnat problem. I am thinking of putting down a top layer of perlite to prevent them from laying more eggs. I am thinking this will add some reflectivity too, as my plants are sitting pretty low in their pots and are missing out on light reflected from the sides of the tent. I have read that h2o2 will take care of the gnat larvae, but I am worried about it killing of my beneficial microbes.

Yoo Donny Danko, welcome to the 420, the green growing machine!

Everyone is excited when they first partake in this adventure and yes patience is very key to the Dank buds you seek!

I find I occupied my time the best by reading the valuable knowledge that users can spread on forum boards and have learned very very much through it. How ever there are some things you can only learn in trial and error.

I would suggest picking up a PH and a PPM meter, both are relatively cheap on amazon or ebay. About 6-10$ per pen if you're on a budget. The PPM meter is best for measuring the correct feedings for your girls. I think Fox farm has a feeding schedule chart Ill try and dig it up and posti t back

Thanks DSXJ. I have the FF feeding schedule. The problem is that I've read conflicting information on when you should start feeding an auto. Some say 4 weeks, others say 2. The girls look pretty healthy (minus the runt) so I will probably just start really slow. Ph and ppm meters will be my next purchase.

I've done a few autos in my day and started light feedings in week 2. You can always feed a little and dial it back if its a tad much. I peronsaly am not a fan of autos anymore. Mine took about 90 days to finish up 100% and in that time I could have done a photo period and got a higher yield.

Different strokes though, some finish at day 60 like advertised but some dont. :{

Day 19 and the largest of the four is already showing pistils. I like that autos are fast, but I have a good amount of vertical space, so I hope they take their time and get to be a decent size before putting all of their energy into flowering. I got a small growing strain because I had originally ordered one of those tiny 450$ POS stealth boxes (you know the one). Needless to say, I came to my senses and returned it, but I still have 6 more auto bubblicious seeds, so I am stuck with this strain for awhile. More pics soon!

Day 21

These girls are in a hurry! Pistils on two of them, lots of new leaf growth, and the tent already smells skunky. All in all, it's been a pretty uneventful grow so far. The fungus gnats haven't really been much of a problem as I have learned to let my soil get pretty dry between waterings. I haven't really had any other issues. The runt looks a little bit rough, but I think she will still produce a decent yield.
I am waiting for the next watering to start feeding (they haven't really shown signs of needing anything yet).

Feel free to post questions/comments. Pics in a few.

Day 22

I fed the girls their first liquid nutes today, 1/4 strength Big Bloom. They seem to be loving it. I am so stoked about this grow, I can hardly contain myself, hence the constant updates. I love growing my own meds. It is the most exciting and fulfilling hobby I can think of.

Looking nice and healthy man! Keep up the good work, there's nothing more revitalizing then having produced your own meds.

Day 21

Sorry for the sideways pics.

image15023.jpg
I see soil at the bottom outside the pot, you probably need a screen for the drainage holes like I did: Screens for drainage holes?
I keep my plants off the ground too, not sure if that matters but I feel like it does. I'm new to growing also, have my first journal set up and posted in my sig. What made you switch to HPS already?

You're always bound to lose some in the beginning, thats why the water catching trays are the best. As time goes on and the roots develop they will tighten up the soil and it won't be coming out the bottom.

Subbed! Looking really nice.

Perhaps consider sticking with the MH for another three weeks. It sounds like you have the head room to play with if you were to encourage some additional veg growth. Flowering didn't seem to really take off for my autos for some time after the first Pistils showed.

If you want speed stick with the HPS.

Happy growing!
/Obi Wan Cannabinoid
:Namaste:

Day 26

I think the short bushy one may have gone hermie. I cannot get a good pic but I've seen enough mersh to know what a seed pod looks like. In other news, I will switch back to MH tomorrow. I want to get as much veg growth as I can. I have also decided to try the Grow Big at 1/4 strength along with the Big Bloom on the next feeding. Pics to come!

Back
Top Bottom