420's Hydro Soil-less Indiana Bubblegum x Darkstar Kush Grow Journal, 2021

Lmao. Hey so are you using 1 tbsp/gallon when you feed molasses? And do you feed it (or the purpinator if it's roughly the same thing) all the way through the flush? That's what I do. My flushes at the end are plain water and molasses. I wonder if starting the sweetener in veg is why your trichomes are so incredibly dense or if that's more cuz strain/genetics or both? Probably both. I might have to try it next time. You're sure getting good results. And how often do you find your Ph is affected with molasses in particular? It throws mine off a lot faster than I wish. I'm rinsing about every third watering or I start to get that look that comes from your Ph being off, with the little red dots and other annoying things. I think it gets thicker in the soil cuz it's a bit cooler than your mix after a bit and it starts to lock you up. At least that's what I'm finding.
We use General Hydroponics Flora Nectar as our sweetener along with the purpinator. So I'm not sure how different it is from regular ol molasses. We also do everything in hydro so ours gets mixed into roughly 10 gallons of water right now. The sweetener gets 10ml per gallon and the purpinator is being run at 25ml per gallon. We also do not flush at all before harvest. I run our girls right on the edge of nute burn up until the day they are cut down. They are sitting in about 900ppm water right now and probably will stay there until harvest day.

I think the trichome density will be more affected by the genetics of your strains, and atmospheric conditions. We know Trichomes are produced as a defense mechanism for the plant. whether it be for protection from the sun/UV rays, pests, or critters like deer trying to munch on new growth. I really think for us, its been the close proximity to the light that takes the credit, second would be genetics for sure. But, i do also pluck about 6 leaves every night for the cat. So maybe that's telling the plants to make them selves "less appetizing" because they think they are being snacked on every night.

Okay, I'm finished speculating lol. Back to you @Diatomacious and those beautiful ladies :yummy:

It doesn't WOW me but if I got it off a street corner I wouldn't complain.

I checked it out of curiosity

looks like a terpinator 2.0 and everyone seems to like the terpinator but I've never tried it. I'll keep watching for your first taste test review :popcorn:

I'll have to try some carbohydrate loading on one to see the difference.

Maybe you just need to use a little less... sounds like potent stuff.
I don't think it's potent stuff per se, it's just sugar. From what I've read it also contains lots of beneficial microbes that feast on other stuff that would be potentially detrimental to roots, and helps increase root health as such. I have also read that you can't really give them too much, other than that the extra stays in your soil and screws with stuff. I am only using 1 tbsp/gallon and from what I've read that seems to be the low end of what people use. I dunno. My buddy told me that after a bit it causes lockout and salts build up and EC and Ph get off if you don't rinse it, so I do what he tells me. So far so good, just gotta stay on it. If you forget the plant reminds you soon enough. Lol.

But, i do also pluck about 6 leaves every night for the cat.
:rofl: :yummy:
I think the trichome density will be more affected by the genetics of your strains
This to me is the truest statement... good strains produce more and oilier trichomes. You have to start with good weed to end up with good weed.
it's just sugar. From what I've read it also contains lots of beneficial microbes that feast on other stuff that would be potentially detrimental to roots
That's the only reason I could see using it to be honest. It has no nutritional value to the plant it merely composts in the soil and feeds the microbes so you get a microbial population boom. The microbes will feed off the soil chemistry and unlock nutrient just as in organics so that could in turn increase root and plant health.

So if taxation can mess up the life of Jesus, the son of God, who commands magical powers from heaven over life and death, what has it done to this nation? Where would we be had we chosen a different path? Would we have been involved in so many wars or had as much pestilence? These are the things that sin brings with.

For the wage of sin is death.

End of second week of flip... each is still only about 10" from soil including leaf tips... looking good so far

Clone #1
IMG_0992_DxO.jpg
IMG_0993_DxO.jpg

Clone #2
IMG_0994_DxO.jpg
IMG_0997_DxO.jpg
IMG_0998_DxO.jpg

They are getting close to needing a watering. Had to raise the light a little due to growth so hopefully will help with slight leaf burn on tips.

Enjoy :hookah:

End of second week of flip... each is still only about 10" from soil including leaf tips... looking good so far

Clone #1
IMG_0992_DxO.jpg
IMG_0993_DxO.jpg

Clone #2
IMG_0994_DxO.jpg
IMG_0997_DxO.jpg
IMG_0998_DxO.jpg

They are getting close to needing a watering. Had to raise the light a little due to growth so hopefully will help with slight leaf burn on tips.

Enjoy :hookah:
Those clones look fabulous and have really become "real" looking plants very quickly. Nice.

They should set bud anytime so hopefully won't get too much taller. Should be interesting as the bud develops the root will begin to fill the bucket so the bud will basically feed off the whole bucket since the rest of the plant is so small.

Indiana finally gets the chop... this girl feels heavy, can't wait to see what the final weight is.
Final dry weight on the Indiana was 69.3 g or almost 2.5 oz.

Biggest Indiana harvested was almost 2.9 oz, from a 1.7 gal bucket. I bet I can do better.
Great yield, and I'm glad you laid this out, cuz it seems you and I are in agreement. Something you already know but I have learned this grow for sure is that the size of the plant is not only limited to but is in fact completely defined by it's roots, and subsequently by the size of the container holding said roots. Doesn't matter what kind of plant you're talking about. This is the nature of plants. So bigger pot with more space = bigger roots = bigger buds. The math is entirely that simple. A good example was the root ball picture I posted a couple days ago if you saw that. It was huge and impressive, sure, but it also was exactly the shape of the pot and completely, 100%, filled the pot. Top to bottom and side to side. And I know from lifting the pots enough times that the pot was like that for at least three weeks or longer before I harvested. IN OTHER WORDS....(lol).....the plant was maxed cuz the root ball was maxed for the container. Nowhere else for the roots to go. The next step would have been the roots curling all around themselves until the entire plant became locked and rootbound. Never got there (not sure you ever would with an auto in a three gallon pot, maybe...), but the point is that if they had a bigger pot once the roots got that big they could have kept growing out and the root ball could have been as big as the new container! Again, bigger roots = more and bigger buds. I will assert here with confidence that there IS no exception to this rule, and if someone wants to point out to me why that's incorrect please do. Had I already learned this before starting this grow, every auto I grew would be in a five gallon pot instead of a three. Every root ball I have is just like the one I posted.

We should do a test some time and see what we can max in terms of final yield from the smallest container size we can use. I mean the two of us, not so much going head to head but growing the same plant starting at the same exact day. That might be fun and pretty cool, I haven't seen a two person or more comparison grow, where the similarity is the seeds but each person is using whatever preferred method of growing and soil composition they choose. Not a competition. A comparative experiment. The goal would be for each of us to potentially learn what in our choices through a grow work better and what don't, and we'd have one another's experiences at the same point every day to compare. If and when my plant got an issue and yours didn't, you could help me fix it. Lol. And potentially vice versa. I dunno man, just tossing it out there, but I think that'd be fun and make a very interesting journal. I'm not going anywhere soon and when these photos are done and I have a tent, or outside now starting sooner if you like, I'd be more than happy to do this sort of comparative grow (just one plant specifically). I bet there's even a way where we can make the journal itself a team journal that we both can comment and post in as "our" journal (as a primary post I mean - obviously we can do it now as just add on posts to a main one, you know what I mean?) Have to see about that. But anyway, I don't know if that is silly or a cool idea, lol, so lemme know if you have any interest. Or tell me I'm a silly dummy and to stop presenting dumbass ideas. :laughtwo::laughtwo::laughtwo::laughtwo::laughtwo::laughtwo::laughtwo::laughtwo::laughtwo::laughtwo: But doesn't have to be a tiny size either...I'm thinking like a two gallon pot. I mean hell I bet you could get buds from a Dixie cup if you really tried, but this experiment would be more fun if there was at least the slightest chance of an appreciable yield from what we're growing. So small for the test but not so small that you get less than an ounce of buds at least at the end. Thus, how about two gallon pots?

Bang Bang Bang
Open up police
Crash!
On the floor hands where I can see them!

Hello officer, I'd like to report a robbery.

Later at the precinct
Hello, yes I'd like to report a robbery.

Later in court
Yes your honor, I'd like to file charges for armed robbery.

Again, bigger roots = more and bigger buds.
It's got a heck of a lot to do with the plant size and yield... that's why you can pull 5 pounds off a plant outside, that and the sunshine.
Thus, how about two gallon pots?
I'm booked for now lol... got some blue dreams that look pretty sweet (except for where I gave them a little burn) :oops: They are already getting over it though and have a great color. Maybe I can squeeze one in somewhere, who knows. As far as pot size goes I'm partial to 2 gallons as I like to keep them short and sweet :cool: for indoors simply due to the fact you are trying to light them with a couple hundred watt bulb.

Those clones look great @Diatomacious :bravo:
I really wish i could figure out your secret to keeping plants on the short and sweet side of things. You make it look so easy lol. Cant wait to see some plants you are happy with since those last ones looked so good and you said they weren't your best work. Keep on rockin man :headbanger:

End of week 3 of flip. They are about 20" now and hopefully are done with stretch, this despite me having probably "incorrectly" applied the nutrient causing a small lockup at the beginning of flip (note to self pay more attention). Spent time with the flushmaster and all "should" be back on track now... time will tell. Small cotton balls beginning to appear where buds should be. :laugh: This is about as short as I can keep them without getting all ancient Chinese foot torture on the root ball (which will be next if they don't behave). Damnit show me some pics.

Clone #1
IMG_1061_DxO.jpg
IMG_1062_DxO.jpg

Clone #2
IMG_1064_DxO.jpg
IMG_1065_DxO.jpg

End of week 3 of flip. They are about 20" now and hopefully are done with stretch, this despite me having probably "incorrectly" applied the nutrient causing a small lockup at the beginning of flip (note to self pay more attention). Spent time with the flushmaster and all "should" be back on track now... time will tell. Small cotton balls beginning to appear where buds should be. :laugh: This is about as short as I can keep them without getting all ancient Chinese foot torture on the root ball (which will be next if they don't behave). Damnit show me some pics.

Clone #1
IMG_1061_DxO.jpg
IMG_1062_DxO.jpg

Clone #2
IMG_1064_DxO.jpg
IMG_1065_DxO.jpg
I can't wait to see what you can produce from a 20" plant.

Should be about 2-3 oz if all goes well... definitely easier to take care of than a 4' plant. The real trick will be seeing how many I can fit under one of these lights without losing weight per plant due to shading.

Should be about 2-3 oz if all goes well... definitely easier to take care of than a 4' plant. The real trick will be seeing how many I can fit under one of these lights without losing weight per plant due to shading.
You are basically growing autoflower sized photos. Pretty cool. About the same yield as an auto grown properly too. Only it's a real plant. No ruderalis genes. I love it. I might have to try a whole tent that way packed with one gallon pots.

We are troubled on every side, yet not distressed; we are perplexed, but not in despair;

Persecuted, but not forsaken; cast down, but not destroyed;

Always bearing about in the body the dying of the Lord Jesus, that the life also of Jesus might be made manifest in our body.

For we which live are alway delivered unto death for Jesus' sake, that the life also of Jesus might be made manifest in our mortal flesh.

and there you have it!
When will you believe in Jesus and admit taxation is sin?
They wait now in heaven :rofl:

Back
Top Bottom