Aardvark's New Grow 12 Hybrid Dutch Strains - Seed-SoG-Tent - 600W CFL Hydro-Aero-DWC

Re: Aardvark's 1st Grow: Night of the Dry Ice Hash

Dry Ice Hash Night:

Cool! It is fun and easy!! I have not seen a blender used before ...

Re: Aardvark's 1st Grow: Night of the Dry Ice Hash

Cool! It is fun and easy!! I have not seen a blender used before ...

Heh, heh, yea, the blender did break a lot of those Trichomes loose. I only lost about one hit's worth on waste. If I had put the dry ice in the blender with it, it may have gotten interesting. I will try that on some rough trim/buds next time.

Thanks for visiting!

Re: Aardvark's 1st Grow: Smoke Report, Decarboxylation & Raw Cannabis!

:welcome:
Smoke Report

I am really on cloud 9 with this hash harvest. Literally. Despite all of the screw-ups and blight, I have the beginning of a Personal Stash. The quality of the blonde is superb and light with a faint and subtle flowery aroma. The high is almost instantaneous, numbing my face and drying my mouth, and making my spinal pain a farther away issue.

I have not yet tried the "greener" version of the hash, but suspect as the raw material had not been cured that it will not be as clean a taste and smoke; I may end up heating it to release all of the THC & CBD - see the next item.

Decarboxylation

I was able to learn today about "Decarboxylation" and thought I would summarize it here because I believe it is worthwhile knowledge in any growing or patient situation.

The one method that I have seen involved extracting the Trichomes as I did earlier, vacuum-sealing them in a plastic pouch and immersing under boiling water until melted.

The reason for this is simple; the plant itself contains THCA and CBDA, where the "A" is Acid, an active ingredient in life's critical chemical processes like digestion processing oxygen, and electrically, as in your nervous system communicating and your brain working, both independently and in harmony.

When the plant extrudes the Trichomes, the Carbon is released and the THCA and CBDA are transformed into the regular THC and CBD we all know and love. That means that when I extracted the Trichomes, the remaining vegetable matter still held captive significant amounts of the desired THC and CBD and the recommended method was to heat it, thus releasing the Carbon (via CO2).

That also means that if too much uncured vegetable matter gets into your Trichomes, you can convert the THCA and CBDA into their transformed states by heating it until its melting point. In the following movie they claim that they saw a strain with the highest of the highs that they are trying to get their hands on and that the amount of potential THC and CBD from heating the vegetable matter could be as high as 60 times what is normally extracted! I can't remember the strain name, so you'll have to watch the movie yourself (I know that's a dirty trick, its is "Canatonic" from Spain).

Raw Cannabis!

Related to this, I also discovered an important issue and a movie that is a combination of MMJ evangelism that I consider a bona fide outside the box kind of thing that deserves some public scrutiny. It involves the use of raw, juiced MMJ -they said fan leaves but I saw her cutting buds off, supposedly for juicing. "Her" is the 30 year-old patient who was apparently a miracle because she was sickly early in life but made a miraculous recovery after digesting raw Cannabis. The movie is powerful and makes me want to know more - thank chemical processes, the big bang, evolution and the supreme beings - I love the Internet!

At the end it gives the CannabisInternational.org website, so it is definitely commercial, but it has a great message.

[video=youtube;qa0nLdVJiIg]
[/video]​

OK, if I fucked something up or got it bass-ackwords, you think I'm full of crap, or if I helped you learn, please let me know. And the strain quoted in there was "Canatonic" from Spain. What I got out of the movie was that raw cannabis=healthy living & no high; processed or raw cannabis heated=high living!
:peace:

Re: Aardvark's New Grow 12 Hybrid Dutch Strains - Seed-SoG-Tent - 600W CFL Hydro-Aero

All ready been subscribed, I just like to watch. When I get off my phone I will hit your rep meter up to show some love.

I'm glad you are enjoying my adventure. Thanks for stopping by and of course for the Rep!

I think I might try out the raw fan leaves juicing thing when my new seedlings mature; since I favor defoliation, I had been composting the trimmed fan leaves so now they will not go to waste - I will put them in a juicer to see for myself whether I can see any health improvements.

I'm hoping that the fan leaves, mixed with an apple or some carrots will be palatable. I wonder what kind of CBDA and THCA content the roots have? I have chewed on some trimmed roots from my hydro setup and they actually taste OK; does anyone know what kind of vitamins & such would be available in Cannabis roots?

:high-five:

Re: Aardvark's New Grow: THCA/CBDA & Raw Fan Leave Juice

I did a little more research into the THCA/CBDA issue and like all those other acidic compounds, like RNA/DNA, that raw cannabis could present considerable potential as a vital component of human nourishment; normally, THCA/CBDA cannot be readily absorbed into human tissues until rendered free of its carbon loading, which may be done thermally or chemically. What the body does with acidic compounds depends on the relative pH, temperature, available sugars, dissolved oxygen and a host of other more complicated processes, but there are indications that the simple ingestion of the juice of raw cannabis leaves can activate some pretty impressive capabilities of the human body.

I am not talking about being able to fly without an airplane; yet I think it may be related to so-called "super-foods" like Blueberries, Pistachio nuts or Guacamole. I think we certainly have an idea of where the "berry" smell in our gardens comes from now! It must come through the Terpenes, which is the sticky resin the Trichomes are made of. When hash oil is made from Trichomes, it is actually "Terpentine", but that sounds gross. Look up Terpentine in Wikipedia, which offers: "In addition to their roles as end-products in many organisms, terpenes are major biosynthetic building blocks within nearly every living creature."

That interests me, to say the least!

Is anyone else interested or have prior exposure to this aspect?

Re: Aardvark's New Grow 12 Hybrid Dutch Strains - Seed-SoG-Tent - 600W CFL Hydro-Aero

I've been juicing the leaves, stems, buds of the plants with mom since she stopped chemotherapy, as well as using the RS oil, and her last scans came back stable, so I'd say, so far so good. I've also noticed an anti-inflammatory affect on my swollen knees after running around the field. Raw cannabis is great cannabis.

I've been juicing the leaves, stems, buds of the plants with mom since she stopped chemotherapy, as well as using the RS oil, and her last scans came back stable, so I'd say, so far so good. I've also noticed an anti-inflammatory affect on my swollen knees after running around the field. Raw cannabis is great cannabis.

Hey SurfBuddy, glad to hear the good news on your mom's issues. I just started a new batch of seedlings and should be able to have some fresh fan leaves in a few weeks; my brother-in-law said I could have his juicer, too - a Jack LaLanne unit that looks unused - my late sister spent thousands on alternative medicine, holistic methods and fundamental religion, but she would never try Cannabis - even after she was diagnosed with Ovarian cancer.

My new seedlings are looking good; these are all going to be heavy Indica and I'll take the best females for clone mothers. In a day or so, I will move them to an Aerocloner grow box to vegg under 18 hours of light per day.

As soon as I harvest my two mature potted plants, that will allow me to free up another grow box (with 12 spaces). I will have room for the seedlings in their and would need to change one of the 200-watt CFL bulbs from Red to Blue spectrum so they will be able to vegg decently, even though the timer is on 12/12. They are also in the same nutrient mixture as the maturing plants, so I am keeping the PPM low at 600. I believe I should probably just transfer them to one of my two Aerocloners to vegg, though, because I have a dedicated 125-watt Blue CFL that helps the seedlings grow with very tight inter-nodal spacing.

This time, I will not vegg them taller than 12" before flipping them to 12/12. I wish there was a faster way to determine which will be females, but I don't know of any. I suppose I could have experimented with making feminized seeds, but I already got myself into trouble when I tried to do too many exotic things on my first grow, so I am going to try the KISS method for a while.

Smoke Report #2:
The hash is consistently wonderful! I am still working on the blonde batch (from the 160-Micron bag); it is so clean and pure only a little white ash remains in the bowl and the "smoke" I get is actually vapor with very little smell or visibility when exhaled. I really like smoking this way because it is so much smoother. One hit lasts me 2+ hours before I start thinking I could enjoy a second hit from the bong. If I take the second hit, I will get drowsy, so the dosing is pretty consistent.

I am so glad I tried the dry ice method and highly recommend it to anyone, as I can't find anything to risky about it - except for frost-bite if you don't wear gloves.

Pictures:

The Garden is Under-Utilized, but that will change when the two center plants are harvested:
101_0637.JPG

These two have been flushed for about 5 days now and the left plant's remaining leaves are being digested rapidly; I think the right plant doesn't need as many nutrients so it will finish a little slower:
101_0638.JPG

Here are the Dutch-Indica seedlings I started this week; the roots already started to take off after being in the flowering grow boxes, but I put them in the Aerocloner today because I didn't want them to suffer nutrient burn (two of them had discolored leaves):
101_0642.JPG

I just love it when new roots grow; this is 24 hours' root growth in the grow box:
101_0643.JPG

101_0642.JPG

FUCK! I have Thrips to deal with now. On my seedlings! Fuck. Now I have to research these bugs and see what I need to do about them and where they came from - it is freezing outside and I was under the impression that the bugs should be dormant. WRONG AGAIN.

OK I ordered a couple products from the Safer website that will get here next Wednesday - I don't know why local garden centers can't carry this stuff, grumble, groan ...

I also saw something on another website about and I believe it may be "Gray mold":

"Gray mold is one of the most common fungal diseases, and can attack most plants. The fungus infects a plant where it is damaged or wounded (including pruning scars), or beginning to die. It is most likely to occur in cool, moist conditions and is most serious when it causes bud rot.

SYMPTOMS: The mold starts out whitish like powdery mildew and darkens to a smoky gray or brown. A silvery-gray, fuzzy mat develops on the tissue, formed from clusters of spores that fly up like dust when disturbed. Brown rots forms in the damaged tissue."

This sounds like some of the things I am seeing on a few plants' buds, but it isn't spreading much thankfully; it appears on one leaf tip close to the bud, which appears to have broken through from the bottom of the bud's base, which is white-colored. It is confusing because it doen't spread like mold - it is more of a spot problem than a creeping mold issue it seems. I dunno. It is time to put some Neem oil on my seedlings so they will be protected at least, but I don't know whether it is safe to put on my mature buds or not. I would hate to ruin my good buds and have to make hash out of them again.

Any ideas?

Hello Aardvark,

Nice plug of hash you got there !

Did you check out the Stinkbud link ?

Goodness Aardvark, You have had some crap lately huh? If it isn't one thing it's another. Wow, we all can learn from the things your plants have gotten themselves into. thrips, mold, root rot ect. What's next? I feel for you and all your ups and downs. But all in all you seem to pull yourself out of it all and still have some nice plants. You are growing indoors right? How on earth are you getting all those bug ect. problems? Was it you or am I confusing you with someone else on a bug thing you had a few weeks/months ago? I guess being a grower has it's problems but from the looks of your pictures and posts you are still doing a lot better than some. I know I have had my outdoor growing problems from grubs to aphids but thank the plant goddess here in Hawaii, no mold problems. Well buddy, "Keep it Green" Aloha and good luck. And yes, that hash you made looks damn good.

Dispite the thrips your garden looks great! Did you save that wonderful purple strain?

snipped from 420magazine here Cannabis Plant and Pest Problem Solver - Pictorial

Thrips
Thrips are really tiny, but can be seen by the naked eye. Some may have wings and some may not. Thrips reproduce rapidly, especially in tight places. That is what makes them hard to get rid of when using pesticides. The suck the sap right out of your plant with there piercing mouths, which makes the leaves look like they turned white. You can tell when you have thrips by taking a look at your leaves, the leaves will look as if there chlorophyll have been ripped right off the plant. Plants that are damaged can’t be healed thus making it harder for the plant to absorb light. SO if left untreated the thrips will kill the plants. Damage also can be seen by the greenish black specks of there poop they leave on leaves. Also the plants will show silver patchs from scar tissue. Depending on the severity at first, thrip damage might look like spider mite damage untill it increases in damage and then thrips case is for sure when you see the greenness replace with big parts of white.

One good way to repel thrips for those growing outside is to use garlic, this is a good way to keep them away before you get them. The color yellow attracts the thrips and should be advised not to have this color around your grow.. If you already have them using neem oil, and or lady bugs can get rid of them. If the infestation is bad then you need to use biological solution like, pyrethrin-like insecticides. Picture 8 shows thrips damage.
Other Products include:
Chemicals
Hot Pepper Wax,Safer Yard & Garden Insecticide (which can be used right to the day of harvest),GNATROL( used in hydro in the water as well as soil),Doc's Neem Pest Soap,Safer Sticky Stakes,TR-11000 Pyrethrum.

Hello Aardvark,

Nice plug of hash you got there !

Did you check out the Stinkbud link ?

Hey Kimmy, yes I did - thanks for reminding me. I had read it about 6 months ago when I started my own grow and it was influential in my system as you suspected. Did you see the pile 'o plugs & powdered trichomes?

33124.jpg

I also have some buds that are curing; I will try it out and if it isn't outstanding, will probably render it into hash as well. I actually forgot about another batch of trim & buds from two earlier dead plants; I should do the same with that too, but it won't be nearly as good as the other mature stuff.

I guess I just prefer it in that form now, so unless it is a fragrant and beautiful bud - I have become extremely picky! A Cannabis Snob?

Hey Buckshot, I did check out the Growtronix system and it looks very capable - but unless I can get it at a better price (like refurbished) I won't be able to afford it. Hell, I won't be able to afford any expansion of my system until I get a job or sell some of the government surplus I have accumulated.

I hope everyone has had a safe and happy Thanksgiving. Be careful out there when you run amok amongst the bargain-crazed consumers, especially when driving. Set your expectations low and you won't likely be disappointed.

I have decided that tomorrow is harvest day for my little Shack F3, as its Trichomes have started to accelerate their turn to amber; I will take some close Macro shots before cutting it down, as well a taking a few branches from a couple of other taller plants that will be finishing up soon.

At the end of this list is a picture that shows the remnants of the problems I have been fighting (Spider Mites, Thrips, etc.), with the ends of the small flower leaves dying off & turning bright brown. I don't know exactly what caused this, but am always interested in opinions.

Happy Trails, My Friends!

:Namaste:

101_06451.JPG

101_06471.JPG

101_0648.JPG

101_0649.JPG

101_06501.JPG

101_0651.JPG

101_0652.JPG

101_0653.JPG

And here is the bud showing the odd dead inner-leaf:

101_0654.JPG

Quick Harvest:

As promised, I cut down a couple of small plants and lower branches that were ready, these are Shack F3 and Blueberry Sativa from Sannie's Seeds in Holland:

101_0657.JPG

101_0659.JPG

Here is what I consider to be mold that I found inside a brach-tip/cola; I have seen patches of white and brown in only a few places and treating them with H2O2 was useless. If anyone has any ideas about this I would appreciate some advice. This has been found at tight intersections and probably didn't get much air circulation, so I guess I should be grateful that this bud was not too tight.

101_0662.JPG

:Namaste:

Here is what I consider to be mold that I found inside a brach-tip/cola; I have seen patches of white and brown in only a few places and treating them with H2O2 was useless. If anyone has any ideas about this I would appreciate some advice.

Aardvark

I am 110% sure that is the dreaded bud rot. Dang! Bummer here is some text snipped from the problem solver thread that might help next time ...

Removing any dead or dying material from the plant helps prevent bud rot so does decreasing humidity and increasing ventilation. There are also safe anti fungal sprays from hydro shops that help. If you do find gray mould, cut off the infected part of the plant well above and below the effected area and remove it from the grow room. Decreasing the humidity from 55% to around 40% will make a big difference in preventing bud mold. Also having very big buds can cause bud rot, and would advise watching the areas on your plant that have the biggest, thickest and the more dense buds. Try to have medium size buds rather than having big thick buds. Having a dehumidify around when high humidity days can help as well.

To protect them against bud rot for outside. DO NOT foliar spary at night, doing this the heat will not evaporate the water as well because it is night.
Water the plants in the day instead of so close to being night. Same as foliar spraying.

Make sure your plants are stress free as possible and checking plants often can aid in getting rid of moldy bud before the spores spread onto other areas of the plant! Have a lot of air going around the plants for bad ventilation= sick plants and a breeding ground for spores!

Keep leaves away from soil making sure they do NOT touch the soil.

Keep cooler temps at night while plants are on there down time.

If you have gotten bud rot already the best thing to do is cut off the bad buds discard them away from you’re grow and apply any of the following: Neem oil, Neem2 which is a ready made solution!
Using high ph water for foliar spray prevents them from spreading as well kills the mold. pythium is another good product to use! There are many other chemicals and organics that work, but these are the most popular and they work very very well!

AWESOME!

Thanks so much Buckshot! That extract info was right on because I just didn't know what it was. I had read up on it before, but my main issue was that I could never find a picture of bud rot, so I didn't have any reference point - there were at least four different types (powder, dusky, brown and rot).

I had cut that bud off, discarded the visibly-tainted material and cut the rest up for dry-ice hash later on. I have to get up early tomorrow anyway, so I will check the rest of the plants and do the same where necessary. I'll take some pictures to post, too - that would have helped me weeks ago.

EDIT:

Buckshot, I am confused with this statement:

"Have a lot of air going around the plants for bad ventilation= sick plants and a breeding ground for spores!"

My impression is:
Good ventilation=healthy

Poor ventilation=moldy

Right?

Pictures of Bud Rot

OK, here are the promised pictures of what Buckshot has ruled is Bud Rot; it only affect one plant - the best-looking cola on the most mature plant, too. I dug out the rotted parts and redirected the fans to make sure to minimize the moldy conditions; my RH is only 33% so I feel that is an optimal level at this stage.

Originally, I had thought that this damage had been done by the caterpillars, but I guess I was wrong. Not enough air circulation. I was told that H2O2 could remove PM and that did not work on this; I am going to try Baking Soda spray to see if that helps lift it off.

:sorry:

101_0662.JPG
101_0673.JPG
101_0675.JPG
101_0677.JPG
101_0681.JPG
101_0682.JPG
101_0683.JPG
101_0684.JPG

Oh woe is me seeing that bud rot. I just had a problem on three plants... eesh I don't f around trying to fight it, the plant is removed asap

Oh woe is me seeing that bud rot. I just had a problem on three plants... eesh I don't f around trying to fight it, the plant is removed asap

Hey Buckshot, yep this was the only plant; I think the phenotype was a very juicy bud structure with little space for air circulation. If I recall, you used some copper stuff, right? What was it called?

I am ordering some beans from VaderOG and in a few weeks my last plants will finish. I will be doing some more dry ice hash after everything is harvested; probably have this journal retired and start a new one for the next grow - but it will be at least 2 months out, having to get good females selected, clones cut, etc. Might even be months before they start on 12/12.

Take care!

Back
Top Bottom