Afghani Time

Mike Wright

420 Support
420 Staff
Wife needs her nighttime meds so time for a run of Afghani. My hybrid Afghani-Kush is an even better sedative, but I'm running low on seeds for this one, and it's one of my core strains so I need to produce some more. In a future grow I will backcross the Afghani with the Afghani-Kush. The Pure Kush was fem and I don't have any more of them.

Out of 11 seeds 8 popped and only 6 survived, so hopefully I get a least 3 girls. They are about two weeks old. Will be growing in soil as usual. I put them in the window when sunny and under the T5 when not.

Afghani2weeks.jpg

Thanks for the tip! I do some cloning, but I just find it a lot easier working with seed. Personal preference. I have a couple of GSC clones going now, but I took them in early flower and they never did really fully reveg, so they never got that big.

What a difference a week makes! I'd guess the 3 tall ones are males, really stretchy, especially for an Indica.
20220512_084701.jpg

I pulled two small GSC clones, they flowered about 7 weeks and yielded 3/4 oz total. So now it's tent time for the Afghanis. The three tall ones on the left I assume will be males. I've been battling fungus gnats for a few weeks and a few made it through repotting so I'll continue to dose with BT and spinosad and I put some stickies in the pots right after taking this picture.

They are a pretty good size for 7 weeks veg, but the branch development isn't so great. I'll flip them as soon as the branches get going, hopefully another couple of weeks.

Afghani Veg 005.JPG

I harvested pollen today then ashcanned the two males. Ended up with 4 females, they are at 1 week flower now. I'll post a pic later when the lights come on.

This grow is over. Harvested 3oz. Usually I get 4-5, but these plants just never branched, no idea why. I did produce some very nice seed though.

Onwards and upwards. I have 3 Gelato females and two Harlequin regular seedlings going now. I'll either cross the Harly with the Gelato (if I get a male) or use some of the Afghani pollen from this run. I definitely want some Gelato hybrid seed, that stuff is the bomb.

Seeds for the win! I had some Master Kush back in the day that was the exact same pheno. They grew straight up with no side branching into one large cola on the entire plant. They'd be good for SOG. I ended up learning about drying and curing because the colas were so large they developed mold inside near the main stem that was never visible on the outside. I always de-nug large colas for even drying now.

Seeds for the win! I had some Master Kush back in the day that was the exact same pheno. They grew straight up with no side branching into one large cola on the entire plant. They'd be good for SOG. I ended up learning about drying and curing because the colas were so large they developed mold inside near the main stem that was never visible on the outside. I always de-nug large colas for even drying now.
I haven't grown the pure Afghanis for a long time. Early on I crossed them with some Pure Kush, and that hybrid was so good I've mainly been growing it up until now when I need Indica. Yeah, I had that inside mold happen a couple of years back in a jar full of huge colas. Fortunately I was able to catch it early and salvage most. I still like to keep the giant buds intact, but I'm a lot more careful about how they dry now.

Back
Top Bottom