AKGramma's Harlequin Soil Grow Fall 2018

Three days since first roots showed in paper towels. Now have 3 seedlings! The last two seeds are still dormant in the paper towel.

I have transferred these three into the "nursery" with the young Afghani (a stray seed that fell back into mother's bin). I wont turn on the LED's yet, cause I don't want to fry these babies.

First pic: seedlings like company. They share the lights just fine. CFS's are folded back to show all four.

Second with lights folded back in place. Looks like I need to switch out the 13 Watt CFL with a 23.

Hopefully it pops up tomorrow

Nope.

I have been tossing some old plastic cups, since I have so many. And I have far more smaller plastic storage bins than I need for the size of the grow, so I'm going to salvage the cleanest of them for Kitchen storage (small utensils, packaged soups, etc.) Lots of hot, soapy water! Even those with drainage holes will be fine for dry goods.

Some of it is recyclable, so those will go into the recycling bin for curbside pickup.

Over the years, I've bought or recycled stuff to try out new methods, then went back to Old School gardening methods. So there is a lot to put outside with a FREE sign, and the neighbors will haul it away for their weekend yard sales. ;-)

All future grows will have to fit into the 3' x 3' shelving unit.

My space is 4' x 4' it works well.

You can walk into a 4 x 4 tent to reach the back. Shelving units have a bottom shelf that may not support the weight of both the grower and the plants. Since I am very short, even a 3' reach is difficult for me.

I am tempted to take down the front half so the reach is only 18". I can easily fit 6 bins on a 36" x 18" shelf. And that is the legal maximum for non-commercial grows for personal use.

This is a single-depth layout I used a few years ago. I think I'm going to use this again. :thumb:

You could realize a big yield in that 36" x 18" space.

I've never gotten an ounce dry buds from a harvest of several plants. Plenty from leaves and trim, however.

Someday I will grow out that single monster mother and see if I can force a "big" (for me) harvest after a 6-month veg. Some that I have tried to grow big, went to flower under veg after 4 months WITHOUT changing the light schedule. And these were regulars!

So, March next year to try for the Big Mother. I need to grow out these Harlequins for 3 months (if they go that long) and about 65 days in flower after that. Will do my usual training for more colas. I will have to keep the skirts trimmed out, and concentrate on the canopy to avoid popcorn buds.

You can walk into a 4 x 4 tent to reach the back. Shelving units have a bottom shelf that may not support the weight of both the grower and the plants. Since I am very short, even a 3' reach is difficult for me.

I am tempted to take down the front half so the reach is only 18". I can easily fit 6 bins on a 36" x 18" shelf. And that is the legal maximum for non-commercial grows for personal use.

This is a single-depth layout I used a few years ago. I think I'm going to use this again. :thumb:

9/19/2018: I took out the front half of the grow unit and restrung the lights, fans, and timer this morning. I just have to adjust the polytarp walls and re-install the front drape, and the half-unit will be ready. This gives me more floor space in the bedroom, and a much easier reach to the back of the shelving.

A lot of physical work for an old lady like me! I take lotsa breaks! :nomo:

Trust me I do too! Lol
How much vertical space do you have to work with?

Approx 72". The only strain I had that went that tall was the Autoberry. I was afraid to pinch it back. it was one 4 ' cola in a 12" pot! I had to bend her over a bit at the end, cause she hit the LEDs. :D

I decided to soak the last two Harlequin seeds overnight in water to soften their coats. Then I'll put them back in the wet paper towels. I won't give up till they get mushy.

The babies already have their first pair of true leaves. A little stretched out, tho. They seem to have stopped stretching. I have a fan on them and have put them in the veg unit with all 400 Watts of LEDs and CFLs on a 16/8 schedule. If they get top heavy, I'll lay them down and bury their stems. That usually fixes the stem problem.

Hopefully they toughen up quickly

Oh, yes they will. I have always had to bury the stems horizontally after the first seedling stretch. If you are gentle, those leaves turn right back up to the light in a few hours. And they have a much shorter stem that will thicken up nicely.
:yummy:

The part if the main stem that gets buried should grow additional roots.

I'm not sure they do grow roots, just get thicker. When I harvest a plant, the stem is bent under the soil, but I don't recall seeing roots. What seems like a lot of buried stem in a seedling is really only about an inch, and once it thickens up, it just looks like a stem that took a weird turn.

Back
Top Bottom