AKGramma's Perpetual Grow

Yes I do, but I'm trying to be cautious about the number of plants I have going. I'm just finishing up my first grow and overdid it with 4 plants and on top of that I probably let them veg too long so they are unweildy monsters. And on top of THAT I did very little training because I wanted to get a feel for how the plants naturally grew. Now I know! I just started a couple of babies to back fill the grow room because I'm getting close to harvest.

By attrition, I went down to two or three on my last grow, and let them veg a long time. That's why I am in danger of losing this strain. Winter cloning has not been successful. So I'm hoping to breed a male BBL to one of the two last lady Sativas I have to save their genetics.

I have the room for more, but I like being able to do other things besides tend the grow room. :cheesygrinsmiley: One in veg, one in flower, and the 4 babies I'm journaling here.

I admire that you are breeding cultivars. I'd like to try to at some point but want to study a little on genetics first. Who was it? Burbank and his peas? I wish I had more space to play with generations of offspring. Alas, I'm in an area where the legal limit is 4 flowering plants. At that rate it would take me decades to stabilize seed. That irritates me. I've always wanted to name a strain!

I'm not breeding them yet. It all depends if a male shows up among the BBL seeds.

I have had 3 duds so far and planted a fourth seed yesterday. The previous seed opened, but it was desiccated inside. Just a dry shell. The one previous to that totally disintegrated, and I never found it. The first seed emerged without it's second cotyledon. I found the other cotyledon with the growing tip in the soil, but no roots, after I dumped out the cup. So, it wasn't a mutation, but for some reason left half of itself behind when it broke the surface.

So I have 2 BBL babies and 4 more BBL seeds. The 4 babies (one newly planted) plus my 2 remaining Sativas keeps me under the 6 plant limit. (The clones rotted after 6 weeks without rooting). So far, I am not overly impressed with the quality of this batch of BBL seeds from Nirvana. And I have tried only the most healthy-looking seeds.

I do believe I can keep my plant numbers down, if and when I get seeds. I'll breed a branch rather than a whole plant, so I have both buds and seeds for the next harvest.

I hadn't thought ahead far enough to consider naming the cross, because there are other existing BBL x OG Kush hybrids. I would have to research the ancestry of Nirvana's BBL, which may be slightly different than other banks' Bubble Gum. So, unless I am sure about the ancestry of both parents, I can't really gain any financial benefit off the cross.

I pinched out BBL#1's growing tip, which would have been its 6th pair of leaves (4 inch plant). BBL 2 (3 inch plant) is branching out on its own, but I will wait for the 6th level of leaves before pinching it. I want to encourage equal growth early on.

Mystery seed's new leaves are growing a lot lately, but, until all its fingers emerge and fill out, I won't be able to verify whether it's a Sativa or Indica. Looking at it in a magnifier, it looks like it started with two growing tips right out of the cotyledons. I wondered why there was such a mass of wrinkled greenery emerging! It was VERY slow to show a growth tip, then all of a sudden two! Will be an interesting plant.

Here is a closeup of Mystery's two growing tips. The pic doesn't show it well, but there are two distinct stems in there.

11Days-Mystery-2tips.JPG

I just caught up. You are going to love the Bubblelicious. It was my first seed grow in the new grow room. I planted 4 Bubblelicious and 4 Black Jack. If I remember, I had 3 female and 1 male on both strains. I cloned, grew in soil and hydro, learned to never forget to plug the hydro pump back in, had some mite and with all that, the plants preformed very well. I also collected some pollen from both males and with pollenating one branch each, recovered approximately 30 seeds each. I was a great grow to learn my system and correct my failures.
The Bubblelicious had huge colas and a great bubblegum, spice, and fruity smell with a bit of citrus after taste. I plan to cross breed a Bubblicious with a Orange bud and create "Orange Bubblicious" later this year if I can grow a male of either one.
Have a great grow.

SP: Thank you so much for the encouragement! Being so focused on the details, I tend to forget the entire journey. It is good to hear from someone who has experience with the BBLs. Except for trying to sprout some poor seeds, they are surprising me with how bright green and vigorous they are! I'm already getting an occasional whiff of bubblegum scent from the babies! :thanks:

Update: BBL#1 is 35 days old now and her stem is quickly becoming thick and woody. Even tho I pinched out the growing tip a couple days ago, I see only a tiny bit of branching out. BBL#1 seem to want to grow up. It is stretching a little bit. Might be a male. Too early to tell, of course, and the seed had the dimpled "bellybutton" that people say is the mark of a female. Then it could just be genetic variation, since it is from seed.

BBL#2, which is only 14 days old, is branching out all by itself. I have not pinched it yet. Its stem is also thickening. Both BBLs have green stems. This one seems in a hurry to leaf out, with almost no internodal spacing. Its second pair of leaves are 30% larger than those of #1, and it is 3 weeks younger in age.

In stark contrast is the Mystery seed#1, at 12 days, has a thin red stem and slow growth that my sativas had last year at that stage. The two growing tips are jockeying for room to push out of the "V" between the cotyledons. In fact, another leave is emerging below the smaller tip, but, as yet, the nodes are so packed together, it looks like a miniature feather duster! I don't think a pic will capture what I see through the microscope, so will wait till there is enough visible change to post them.

No sign of a sprout from BBL cup #3. This is the 4th seed I've planted there, so I hope it emerges soon.

Here are the photos from Day 35 of this grow.

BBL1 and 2 up-potted to 1/2 gallon (bottom half of a water jug). Note the flecks of new potting soil. The yellow is reflected light from a soft white CFL.
Day_35_upotted_1_2.JPG

Closeup of BBL1
BBL1_Day_35.JPG

Closeup of BBL 2
BBL2_day_14.JPG

Closeups of Mystery. Could not get a clear pic of the side view showing both growing tips, but the front view is nice. It looks really crowded!
Mystery_Closeup3_Day_12.JPG

Mystery_Closeup2_Day12.JPG

Mystery_closeup1-Day12.JPG

Could not get a clear pic of the side view showing both growing tips..

A few tips if I may. Assuming an autofocus system, see if you have a macro mode. If you have it, definitely use it for these close shots. Regardless of whether you do or not, or have used it or not, put something (a card, piece of solid colored paper, whatever) right up against the far side of the cup. This will let the autofocus system stop seeing everything in the background and it'll figure out you actually do want to focus on the little seedling right in front of the camera.

Basically it's thinking the seedling is a small obstruction and it's trying to figure out what exactly in the background you are trying to focus on.

My $.02.

A few tips if I may. Assuming an autofocus system, see if you have a macro mode. If you have it, definitely use it for these close shots. Regardless of whether you do or not, or have used it or not, put something (a card, piece of solid colored paper, whatever) right up against the far side of the cup. This will let the autofocus system stop seeing everything in the background and it'll figure out you actually do want to focus on the little seedling right in front of the camera.

Basically it's thinking the seedling is a small obstruction and it's trying to figure out what exactly in the background you are trying to focus on.

My $.02.

I had a white piece of paper behind the cup. That's what the white is all about. It DOES autofocus, and I had the profile button activated. Did you mean a COLORED piece of paper?

Anyone have any idea what this Mystery seed could be? It has a dark purple stem, right out of the seed and it looks like a Indica phenotype, with the wrinkly leaves that are becoming wider as they grow, not long and spindly like sativas. It took twice as long to sprout and put out leaves than the Bubblelicious, but it's trying to make up for lost time now. No odor yet to identify its ancestry.

Mystery seed Day 16: I spent most of the evening researching photos, narrowing down the maroon color of the stem and the shape and neon green color of the leaves. After jotting down all strains that matched this little mutation, I narrowed it down to an OG Kush of some kind. I actually found a description of an OGK that "had little or no stem" and discussion of a mutation with several growing tips called "self topping".

This one is showing THREE growing tips originating from one point between the cotyledon. The largest cotyledon is a full 20mm long, and is shaped like a tongue! The other cotyledon, because it got damaged, is 15mm long, similarly shaped. Both are starting to yellow slightly.

BBL 1 and 2 are happily doing their thing in their juvenile pots, on a shelf in the veg tent. #1 wants to be tall and #2 wants to be shorter, with closer nodes. Possibly a male and a female. We shall see. They already give off a slight fruity scent.

I think I will use a 20 quart storage bin for their last up-pot. The Rubbermaid bin is only about 8" tall, so won't steal much headroom from the veg tent. I use these for outdoor container gardening, and they are empty right now. I can spare a couple.

No pics, because changes have not been that dramatic, at least nothing that a photo is going to show.

This one is showing THREE growing tips originating from one point between the cotyledon.

No pics, because changes have not been that dramatic, at least nothing that a photo is going to show.

Sounds awesome! I for one would like to see a pic or two of that...

Sounds awesome! I for one would like to see a pic or two of that...

I wish I could, but the area is so small, that I don't think all three will show up well until they get some growth on them. What is REALLY interesting is that the second tip to show overgrew the first tip, and the third tip is hidden in all the foliage. The whole plant is only about 2 inches in diameter. But, yes, as soon as i can manage a clear pic of all three tips, you all will definitely gets pics!

Back
Top Bottom