All Organic High Brix

Doc,

I was at a hardware across town last weekend and they carry DR Earth Pot of Gold soil with these ingredients from the web site. Its the only soil I have come across that says contains Yucca. I'm planning on picking up a couple bags next time when I have enough cash on me.

Ingredients:
Formulated from a fine selection of composted organic materials. Our blend is packed full of the organic materials that help plants become established. We only use: Forest Humus, Fir Bark, Peat Moss, Pumice, Earthworm Casting, Kelp Meal, Alfalfa Meal, Soybean Meal, MicroActive Seaweed Extract, Aloe Vera, Yucca Extract, Oyster Shell & Dolomite Limes. We have also included ProBiotic® beneficial soil Microbes plus both Ecto and Endo Mycorrhizae.

Dr Earth also makes a POTting soil in a black and white bag specific for MMJ, but I doubt I will ever find that in my area.

That's good soil bro. I'd add more humus and then mineralize it. It would grow some really nice produce for sure.

You do a good job at getting us all excited in here! So you're saying that kit has the tubes and pump needed to make teas too? I may have to hold off on finishing my tea brewer and get this kit when it's revealed and I need to stock up on more powders

You do a good job at getting us all excited in here! So you're saying that kit has the tubes and pump needed to make teas too? I may have to hold off on finishing my tea brewer and get this kit when it's revealed and I need to stock up on more powders

The kit includes:

5 gallon bucket
air pump, tubing, air ring
strainer
hose end sprayer adjusted to meter the tea properly (veggie garden, outdoor grow....I don't use it indoors)
rock powders, pre-mixed in right ratio
organic fertilizer
micronutrients
microbial tea starter (just add water and bubbles)
root mycoryzzal innoculant

Everything you need in one package. Let's see how it works and then we'll let the cat out of the bag.....

On Edit: It also includes organic Yucca Extract and full instructions for use.

Here are some pics.

Pistils are appearing by the minute. There is already a light dusting of trichomes on the sugar leaves which can be seen in some of the pics.

I watered today, 1/2 strength on the organic fertilizer as I'm getting some mild claw in a few leaves....nothing much, mostly older growth, but definitely a sign to back off on the ferts.

I also root soaked the seedlings. I mix up the tea/minerals/ferts and soak the pot till it is totally saturated, then let it runoff. I'm going to be transplanting soon, and this technique gets a really nice rootball going so the plant is easy to pop out, handle, root score, and re-pot.

Lastly, I sprayed with Bloomit, a foliar spray that stimulates reproductive growth. I mixed it weak. We'll see what happens. Will it make a plant hermie? Will it stimulate massive calyx formation? Will it mess up the buds? I don't know.....we're gonna find out. The product reviews were fantastic and Bloomit is formulated by a reputable lab. I think I'll be OK.

IMG_24055.JPG

IMG_24065.JPG

IMG_24073.JPG

IMG_24083.JPG

IMG_24095.JPG

IMG_24113.JPG

IMG_24127.JPG

Hey doc, could you explain what you mean about root scoring, and explain the purpose behind it? Have you tried this method yet?

I know with some plants they dig and cut the roots around the outside of the root ball to encourage new root growth in the new environment. If this is just as effective, it sounds easier to just do it at transplant instead of doing it ahead of time. But I would worry it would stress the transplant

Hey doc, could you explain what you mean about root scoring, and explain the purpose behind it? Have you tried this method yet?

I know with some plants they dig and cut the roots around the outside of the root ball to encourage new root growth in the new environment. If this is just as effective, it sounds easier to just do it at transplant instead of doing it ahead of time. But I would worry it would stress the transplant

I've got pictures of root scoring somewhere, but I can't really search for it right now.

Here's how it goes:

Pop the root ball out of the old container.
Using a box cutter or pruning knife cut the roots in a straight line from top to bottom on each sides of the pot.....square pot=4 cuts. If using a round pot, 4 or 5 scores do the trick.

This technique encourages lateral branching of the root system and will get them going on filling their new home quickly.

I've never had transplant stress using this method....provided there is a very solid root ball.

High brix is so interesting. Thank you for sharing this info. I'm getting more into organic and it's amazing , I will never go back. I want to get a tester, thinking of the optical tester. And a kit from T&J E. even if just for the veggie garden but most likely for both. I'm so interested to test some of the produce around here. ;)

Hey doc,I have a few questions about cloning if you don't mind, I'm using happy frog soil watered with FF microbe brew, molasses, and maxicrop. The clones are dipped in rootech. I've done some research on cloning and most of it calls for aero cloners and stuff like that. I see you used rapid rooters and a dome, do you think I will be fine putting them right in soil? I also read about snipping the ends of the leaves but I couldn't really find a reason, what's the point of that? Any other advice you have on cloning I will gladly take, thanks doc.

Hey doc,I have a few questions about cloning if you don't mind, I'm using happy frog soil watered with FF microbe brew, molasses, and maxicrop. The clones are dipped in rootech. I've done some research on cloning and most of it calls for aero cloners and stuff like that. I see you used rapid rooters and a dome, do you think I will be fine putting them right in soil? I also read about snipping the ends of the leaves but I couldn't really find a reason, what's the point of that? Any other advice you have on cloning I will gladly take, thanks doc.

I'm no expert on cloning....I much prefer to grow from seed.

However, here are a few pointers given to me by someone who is a cloning wizard:

1.)Do not use an aero cloner unless you are going to be in hydro
2.)Have no more than one bud site per clone. Trim or pinch the others off, leaving only the uppermost site.
3.)clip leaves to reduce surface area. This means the plant has less tissue to keep alive until roots form
4.)75 degrees at the root zone
5.)90% humidity

You can easily clone in dirt, just make sure the soil isn't too hot, and that it is moist around the clone.

Doc's advice is spot on (of course!). I use nothing more than 8 parts Light Warrior and 1 part EWC. I also stopped using expensive gels, and now use the powder that's around $5 a bottle at Home dePot. I usually get very close to 100% with what I'm doing. I just started using a propagation mat as well, which so far I'm really liking! :) I know it's cliché, but practice really does make perfect when it comes to cloning!

:Namaste:

I wouldn't say never use an aero cloner if you're growing in soil.. I had poor cloning success until I built an aero cloner.. I wait until the roots are fairly developed (around 5" long and have branching forming) and then planting them in 1 gallon pots is very simple once you do a few. I see growth start in about 2 days.. Since I switched to aero cloning, my success rate has gone from about 40-50% to 100%. I've run at least 100 plants through it over the years and never had one not root. I use plain tap water, put them in, and just wait.. no misting or maintenance involved. I see no better way to do it.

I also don't use a razor anymore and just use my trimming fiskars.. It makes cuts far easier to take and I never have a problem

Update:

Things are really good, but not perfect. While smell, frosting, bud sites and the top half of the plants are perfect, I'm getting a bit more claw on the lower parts of the plants. I'd say about 15% of the lower leaves are effected right now, up from last night.

I'm not too worried, but I definitely made a couple notes:

1.)dilute super soil even more if I use it again with my new methods
2.)mix up organic nutes and rock powders at 1/2 strength.

Again, things are going to be just fine, but these types of things can result in buds not forming properly, especially late in bloom where they'll sometimes foxtail and grow longer. I actually like lateral foxtailing, but not when the whole bud elongates.

It's beginning to look like straight potting soil might be the best approach with these teas I'm using. I may still put some greensand in the soil, but I'm thinking we can do away with all the dry mix if I use these teas.

Mostly things are looking fantastic, I'm just paying close attention and taking notes for future reference.

All the leaves, even the distorted ones, have an amazing waxy shine, like I've never seen before. The two healthiest plants have an olive green/dark green shine, depending on how you look at the leaves. They reflect light back like a mirror...you can vaguely make out your own reflection on the leaves.

IMG_24135.JPG

IMG_24154.JPG

IMG_24166.JPG

IMG_24178.JPG

IMG_24185.JPG

IMG_24195.JPG

IMG_24205.JPG

IMG_24215.JPG

IMG_24226.JPG

IMG_24234.JPG

IMG_24243.JPG

IMG_24254.JPG

IMG_24266.JPG

IMG_24274.JPG

IMG_24284.JPG

IMG_24305.JPG

It just dawned on me where I've seen plants with leaves that look like that... If you watch one of those Nat Geo type of documentaries when they go into the rainforest to show some rare species of something, that's where I've seen leaves like that!

:thumb:

Looking good Doc ....nice and shiny...wow huge leaves. :high-five: Bigger solar panels for bigger buds :bravo:

yep. They make gobs of sugar which is sent down to the roots for the microbes. The microbes then feed the plant as well as it can possibly be fed given the soil biology and mineral content.

It just dawned on me where I've seen plants with leaves that look like that... If you watch one of those Nat Geo type of documentaries when they go into the rainforest to show some rare species of something, that's where I've seen leaves like that!

:thumb:

Thanks bro! The leaves have an exotic and shiny quality to them that I've never seen before, as long as a very interesting shade of green.

Continuing from above, the whole high brix thing can be looked at like this:

We're creating a primordial soil with all these minerals. Like fresh volcanic soil, it's full of calcium and minerals and all kinds of rocks....the microbes thrive in this environment and are able to feed the plant in such a way that it achieves its full genetic potential. There's no telling what these plants will do if they are in an optimized soil.

I'm wondering what the potency will be like. As my organic grows have gotten more advanced with the quality of weed improving, I've noticed that the effect gets stronger, but also smoother and more complex. No anxiety, a very warm feeling.

I suspect that a high brix buzz will just be a smoother, stronger buzz, with interesting little surprises like auditory and visual hallucinations and a refined body buzz. Then again, I could be full of crap.

yep. They make gobs of sugar which is sent down to the roots for the microbes. The microbes then feed the plant as well as it can possibly be fed given the soil biology and mineral content.

Thanks bro! The leaves have an exotic and shiny quality to them that I've never seen before, as long as a very interesting shade of green.

Continuing from above, the whole high brix thing can be looked at like this:

We're creating a primordial soil with all these minerals. Like fresh volcanic soil, it's full of calcium and minerals and all kinds of rocks....the microbes thrive in this environment and are able to feed the plant in such a way that it achieves its full genetic potential. There's no telling what these plants will do if they are in an optimized soil.

I'm wondering what the potency will be like. As my organic grows have gotten more advanced with the quality of weed improving, I've noticed that the effect gets stronger, but also smoother and more complex. No anxiety, a very warm feeling.

I suspect that a high brix buzz will just be a smoother, stronger buzz, with interesting little surprises like auditory and visual hallucinations and a refined body buzz. Then again, I could be full of crap.

Learning about organics and high brix has gotten me so excited about this grow! I can't wait to see if mine can even come close to what yours are doing... I would be ecstatic!

Originally I was thinking of just going with my own teas to see how things went without the specially formulated sprays you have... But you keep talking about stuff like "a smoother, stronger buzz, with interesting little surprises like auditory and visual hallucinations and a refined body buzz"... :yahoo: Now I'm starting to question my plan!

I really wanted to keep it as simple as possible to establish a baseline. Am I crazy if I don't get the sprays you're using this time?

Learning about organics and high brix has gotten me so excited about this grow! I can't wait to see if mine can even come close to what yours are doing... I would be ecstatic!

Originally I was thinking of just going with my own teas to see how things went without the specially formulated sprays you have... But you keep talking about stuff like "a smoother, stronger buzz, with interesting little surprises like auditory and visual hallucinations and a refined body buzz"... :yahoo: Now I'm starting to question my plan!

I really wanted to keep it as simple as possible to establish a baseline. Am I crazy if I don't get the sprays you're using this time?

I'd hold off on the sprays until we see how they work for me. So far so good, but the buds are what it's all about and we're just starting to see action.

So far so good.....but if I were you I'd wait and see. If it continues on the present course, you're gonna want the sprays!

Like always, super impressive stuff Doc!

The leaves do look shiny and lush! Your foliars really interest me. It will be fascinating to see how you like your results.

The big fat leaved one in the last picture reminds me of my Kona Coffee plant :)

Back
Top Bottom