Back in Business LED Coco Closet Grow

g-one-three

This is my second grow journal (the first ended unfinished due to a job opportunity). I will be running two kush strands, sensi seeds hindu and homegrown fantaseeds afghani. These seeds are a product of my last grow which happened to have a purple power plant (Homegrown fantaseeds) male in it so they arent going to be 100% pure but they could be very interesting.

Setup:
7 afghan x ppp
3 hindu x ppp
2 full spectrum 90w led ufo for veg
300w full spectrum led for flower
botanicare coco
AN MGB Ph perfect base
SNS 90
General Organics CalMag
RO/DI water
Various pot sizes as they grow
2 stand alone 4" circulating fans

Plan
First time using coco so Im going to keep it simple. Basic nutrients will be used and in flower i will be probably pick up some big bud but thats down the road. I will be hand watering these at least until I can rig up a drip system. These will veg for 40-60 days and during that time I will be FIMing them. The seeds were cracked using the wet paper towel method and i had pretty good success I started with 12 and 10 cracked. The coco was the compressed dehydrated block so RO water was used to expand it. I checked the ph and it was right at 6.5 which according to everything i have read is pretty standard.

The seeds have been planted for two days now so they should be popping through any day now.

20131014_181511_8_bestshot.jpg

hindu kush from my last grow it was picked about 2 weeks early.

Subbed, LEDs and coco, both both avenues I've thought of exploring. Lots of growers swear that coco is the best medium they've found, lots of converts from soil to coco lately, thanks for the invite.

Thanks for sitting in and ya Im giving coco a run because I love soil and have had some outstanding harvests but then i tried top fed dwc and I was so surprised at how much quicker things were growing and how automated I could make everything but it was hard for me to maintain the ph of the water because my job always runs me out of town. So I have arrived at coco and am going to take everything I have learned from both set-ups and going to use it to produce the highest quality green.

Subbed. I'm new to growing, but I've read a mega-ton so far and have wondered about coco as well. After seeing BID's brix numbers in coco I'm wondering if there is more research to be done there.

There was only one that was a little iffy because the tap root wasnt exposed but the shell had split but im not to concerned bc i really was only planning on having 8 plants so I cracked 12 to be safe and only had 2 duds so i should be okay if only 8 or nine come up.

Neither of my sprouts had a visible taproot when I put them in my medium. I let them soak for about 23.5 hours and was sad to see nothing had changed. I figured, "Oh well," and put them down in the dirt. I misted them about 2-3 times a day until they popped their heads up and greeted me :smokin: It took about 2-3 days for them both to sprout.

20131017_165401.jpg
10 of 10 came up and they all look healthy. The big pots should be the hindu and the smaller white pots are the afghan, unfortunately I may have mixed the up bc i cracked them in the same paper towel, it was a rookie mistake but ill know as soon as the leaves start coming in because the afghan has huge fat fan leaves and the hindu has more of a thinner leaf.

So i was planning on running my 2 90w ufo over the seedlings but more seedlings cracked than I had planned on so I am going to run the 300w so everyone gets ample light and I can keep node spacing down and compact. Also I am planning on topping these girls and then mainlining them to keep an even canopy. This will be my first try at mainlining a plant so it should be a learning experience.

Yay for more successful sprouts!

I really need to do more reading about LEDs. They seem easier to deal with and less scary than HID lighting. I have terrible visions of burning hot glass exploding in my face someday.

Also, there is a friendly campaign on the forums right now to eliminate the term 'mainline.' I think the in vogue term is now 'fluxing.'

Fluxing! a change in the way we present ourselves!

Fluxing Technique! Featuring Critical Sensi Star - Soil Perlite Mix 400 HPS

Happy Friedday! :bigtoke:

Back
Top Bottom