BeaverIslander's First Combo Grow - Grand Daddy Purple - PainKiller XL - Blue Blood

Here experience with the BB. iI you can manage the space, mine have done best with a longer veg. In a perfect world, I would go at least 12 weeks (longer if possible) and you will be very happy with the results. :peace:

I will certainly keep that in mind and see if I can't shuffle things around to keep if vegging for longer. I am looking forward to what the B.B. has to offer so I'll see what I can come up with. I just have the one room with one MarsHydro 96X5 so it'll be challenging for sure.

No pics for a couple days, but I made a change in the layout of my grow room as the plants are getting nice and bushy. It's funny how when they were small I figured there was all kinds of room so bring em on. It was still do-able but I like this setup better. I turned the MarsHydro 96X5 sideways and positioned towards the opposite end of my room. It is still 3 1/2 feet by a little over 2 feet so the light is at it's best to my understanding, and more importantly I now have about 5' X 3.5' area to work and store stuff. It was getting harder to move around and past them in the space available. So now I have 3 plants in 5 gallon Smart Pots in that space. (Grand Daddy Purple, PainKiller XL, and a Blue Blood (these 3 are all feminized.) I took the 3 Afghani Regulars out of the room. I put them on a wide plank on my golf cart and pull them in the garage at 7:30pm (sunset) and back out into the sunrise at 7:30am. Figure I'll get them to show me what sex they are, and pitch the males and continue flowering the females. I should have decent weather for another month or so, but if it gets cold I can bring them back in, or at least put a small heater in the garage for evenings if needed. I have several clones doing pretty well, still small but healthy. Thought I can keep them around the perimeter of the light and they will grow although not as fast, which will be good for now. I wasn't sure if I should hit the Afghani's with the Tiger Bloom or not but I did. They are still in the smaller (1 gallon ?) sized pots but I do have 2 more 5 gallon Smart Pots if I am rewarded with a female or two.
That's it for now, I'm still having more fun than is probably legal, and learning like I was teenager again. (Except more open to it :)

P.S. I am anxious to show you the golf cart when it is loaded...On sunny days I take out all 6 plants and move them around for optimal sunshine.......Never was a golfer but I found another use for the cart!

Help with flipping to 12/12

The Painkiller XL is 30" tall from the ground up (24" from top of pot) It was started from seed 12 weeks ago and was fim'd 12 days ago. I am considering flipping it to 12/12 any day, so I could use some advice please.

The plant is looking great so I am not sure if I should go ahead and flush it with SledgeHammer, or just move it and start adding the Tiger Bloom to the feedings.

It seems like it is a pretty easy move but I don't want to miss any steps that would be helpful and/or increase yield. And yeah, I probably should have asked these questions before I put the Afghanies out but this is the one I have been waiting for, don't want to chance messing it up after 3 months.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Help with flipping to 12/12

This morning everyone got a trim job. Wish I'd have taken a before and after pic but most of you have been through this dozens of times.

I call this my "CANNILAC
Cannilac.jpg

3 Afghanis in the small pots, PainKiller XL, Blue Blood and Grand Daddy Purple (5 gallon pots left to right.)
I have a packed gallon size baggy of leaves that were removed. Can they be used for anything or should I just pitch them?

Re: Help with flipping to 12/12

Note to self and anyone new to cloning.... Do not put freshly rooted clones into ANYTHING containing Fox Farms Ocean Forrest, even a 33% mixture will fry them. I killed two before I woke up to what was going on, then flushed the heck out of four and completely left the F. F. out of another and transplanted. After 48 hours they are snapping out of their funk. This was just practice run so it didn't hurt anything except my for my EGO.
The 3 Afghanis have been in 12/12 for one week, no visable sign of sex yet.
Defoliated GDP, PK-XL and BB this week, have a lot of new growth already.

Updated photos 9/28/15

Here is a front and side shot of each one. All were defoliated 5 days ago.

Here is the Blue Blood, 17" tall on day 40.
BB152.jpg

BB232.jpg

And the PainKiller XL, 25" tall (topped) 66 days old. This one was the runt of the bunch but once she got her poop in a group she is now the star attraction.
PK-Xl1.jpg

PK-XL2.jpg

Grand Daddy Purple, 18" tall (topped) 66 days old.
GDP134.jpg

GDP219.jpg

The three Afghani Regulars are 10 weeks old and have bee in 12/12 for 13 days. I am thinking all three are males but would like other opinions. I have room to keep them for another week if need be, no problem there, if I should just wait longer please say so. On the other hand if they are males, whats the use?
Your opinions will be valued.
Thanks,
Beav
I took two pics of each plant.
A3211.jpg
A2212.jpg

A3111.jpg
A2113.jpg

A2A.jpg
A1A1.jpg

they look male to me as well any chance you can grow them a bit and save the pollen ;) have your own seeds forever

I sure could do that Spart. As it is right now they are not in my house because I wanted to sex them so I put them in my garage for 12 hours over night and bring them out in the morning. It's hard to predict when the temps will go below freezing here but I would think they'll be safe in the garage for another 3 possibly 4 weeks. How long does it take the pollen to develop? If I just keep them out of the house and away from the feminized plants I should be OK. I didn't think about saving the pollen from the Afghani's but it is something to consider. Another phase to study up on :) What else can you use them for? If they were females I had planned to put them in bigger pots but I certainly don't think that is necessary now. Thank you for the reply.

Hello BeaverIslander!

Be careful you dont carry pollen in your hair and clothes from the males to your females. Its easily done....

OK, I will now prove to you how much of a rookie I am :)

Do you have to wait until the balls burst and spew the pollen, or can you collect them at a certain point to be opened later?
These were freebie seeds from a Herbies order I placed so to me they are not worth taking the chance of pollinating the others that I am looking forward to. Being that I am new to growing it might not be a bad idea to just concentrate on growing the feminized seeds this first go round and save the more challenging phases for later. I really need to get a harvest under my belt to develop some confidence so I'm thinking maybe I better pass on saving the pollen. What else can you do with males or would I be better off just burning them?

You should look into the journal of one of the people who breed. Males are useful to make seeds and of course to pollinate your girls to make seeds of your own crosses. I don't know enough about the subject.....

What I do know is that if you're not experienced enough you'll end up with all your girls pollinated.

It is not worth taking that chance right now.
Do you agree that they are males?
I did feed/water them earlier today so they'll be good for almost another week.

I broke down and ordered another MarsHydro Reflector from SaraSmoke this week. I have a couple of nice plants ready to go into flower (GDP & PK-XL) but also have some clones and a Blue Blood not ready yet so I'ill use the new 192X5 for flowering when it gets here and keep the 96X5 for vegging. So far I've only got a bag of trim for my efforts, I'm hoping that will change soon!

Wow, Beaver, how far you've come eh?

I'm all caught up and I love what you've got going on! Love the cannilac!

:popcorn:

Thanks Pigeons420. I'm having all kinds of fun here and I sure couldn't have done it without the help of the great members on this forum. I haven't even been able to get a "hit" off this first grow and I just started another one. Did I mention I was having fun?:high-five:

Thanks Pigeons420. I'm having all kinds of fun here and I sure couldn't have done it without the help of the great members on this forum. I haven't even been able to get a "hit" off this first grow and I just started another one. Did I mention I was having fun?:high-five:

Now that's how you get er done!

Have fun and learn from your mistakes. My first grow got so Nute burned that it tasted lake cr@#. Things got much better in my second grow!!! :peace:

Back
Top Bottom