BeezLuiz & LiquidIntel Outdoor Grow 2019: White Widow, Northern Lights & CBD Lemon Potion

Hi all and welcome! With last years grow exceeding all mine and @BeezLuiz expectations. I'm looking forward to the grow this year!

How did you come to settle on 20 gallons, Beez? How extreme does your weather get up there?
What, if anything, did you learn from last year that will make you more prepared this year?

Hi @Archiweedies !
We originally had the plants in 10G smart pots. As the summer progressed and the plants got larger, their growth slowed and started showing signs of being root bound. Once we transplanted 4 out of the 5 into the 20G smart pots, the plants started to thrive again. The plant we kept in the 10G pot stayed relatively smaller then the others.

Beez made a wonderful graph last year tracking the heights of each plant each week. He also has a great photo of all the plants lined up next to each other where you can see that the plant in the 10G pot looks like the runt.

Blueberry Muffin was the strain we kept in the 10G.

Tonight we safely transplanted the plants from their red solo cups into 20G pots. Beez will add some photos tomorrow morning.

Cheers all!:yummy::snowboating::woohoo:

Pretty cool you and your son are growing together. One day, I hope to help my son set up his first grow. I got to get him through college first lol!
Yup, we had a lot of fun with last year's grow. We probably have a few years head start on you and your son. Intel actually got married right when we were starting with harvesting activities -- poor planning on his part! ;)
How did you come to settle on 20 gallons, Beez? How extreme does your weather get up there?
What, if anything, did you learn from last year that will make you more prepared this year?
The plant we kept in the 10G pot stayed relatively smaller then the others.
Yeah, what Intel said. :) Our weather here is pretty mild for the most part. Summer daytime temps are usually in the 80's and low 90's (25 -35C), but we can occasionally hit 100F. Many mornings start out grey with fog, but clears by 9 or 10am, and humidity is usually 40% - 60% unless there's an "off shore breeze" similar to your Santa Anna winds. Then rH% drops like a rock.

The biggest thing we learned from last year is to give plenty of root space as @Liquidintel pointed out. 20 gallons seemed to be the sweet spot for us. Holds 3 cu. ft. of soil (85 Liters), but not so heavy that you struggle to move them... and the pots definitely need handles! The one thing we'd like to avoid from last year is caterpillar damage. We didn't really pay much attention to them until we noticed buds starting to rot and die. Toward the end we were plucking a dozen of those buggers every day! :eek:

Intel actually got married
Ahh congrats Intel :high-five:! Yeah you guys are a a couple steps ahead than us. That’s just fine cause I’m not ready for either of my kids to get married, I’d like to see them prove they can take care of themselves first lol.
caterpillar
Ahh I’m not a fan of them! Are yours green? You know the same color as the stems so they’re nearly impossible to find lol.
20 gallons definitely seemed to produce some nice size plants for you guys! Cheers guy!

They blended right in with the buds. Especially hard to find when they were small. Here's a pic of a bud with a large caterpillar on it. Can you find it?

Here a zoom in of the little bugger.

Man they blend in
Yeah they really do. Sometimes you’ll see signs of their trail. Munched on leaves, grey buds :( etc.

I saw it in the first one!!!! do I win anything...?

:nervous-guy:
Potentially caterpillar-less buds there, laser eyes ;) :laugh:

@BeezLuiz Im curious how you might go about fighting those bud worms? I’ve heard about something called Monterey BT, I think it was called. If I remember correctly, tomato growers rely on it to keep caterpillars at bay

Im curious how you might go about fighting those bud worms?
I need to research that more. :nervous-guy:Other than the caterpillars, we didn't have many other pest issues last year. I didn't use any sprays of any kind and would like to continue that practice. Once we knew what to look for, we just plucked them off the plants as we found them. The first plant suffered the worst damage - lost about 1.5 oz of bud, but the other plants had close to zero loss.
I do plant basil next to my tomatoes each year and that seems to help there. I am considering putting a small basil plant in each of the 20 gal pots - I think they could co-exist.

The one thing we'd like to avoid from last year is caterpillar damage.
Im curious how you might go about fighting those bud worms? I’ve heard about something called Monterey BT, I think it was called. If I remember correctly, tomato growers rely on it to keep caterpillars at bay
You beat me to it AW. Monterey BT is the thing to use for caterpillars. They eat the leaves sprayed with it and are dead the next day. Works like a charm!

Regarding the Terpinator...
Shit, I was hoping to get rid of one of those too!
I'd like to try using it, it sounds like it could be beneficial, but I already have what I believe to be very similar with the Honey Chome. I don't want to overdo the supplements so I'll probably hold off til I run out of my other stuff.

Camo-grub! It’s camouflaged into the frost! :eek:

These arrive on the plant in the form of eggs laid by a moth or butterfly - often during veg. I had some different caterpillars in the white widow buds - and I found more while trimming. How to keep the butterflies/moths off the plant in the first place is my next outdoor research project. Can’t really see how without having them in a complete enclosure - and then the little birds and dragonflies wouldn’t be able to get in and clean up all the gnats and whitefly ;)

They eat the leaves sprayed with it and are dead the next day. Works like a charm!
Is it only used during veg? The cats didn't seem to show up until bloom.

Back
Top Bottom