BeezLuiz & Liquidintel's Outdoor Grow 2018

But do the experiment:

Take a coupla buds down now & harvest the rest at peak strength & after the cure, do a a) vs. b) comparison to see what you like.

Yup, did that this morning. :thumb:

Shouldn't hurt at the very end of the plants life cycle but a flush done to early could slow down growth and final yield.

Yeah, that was my thoughts as well, but it seems most of the stuff I've read recommends up to 2 weeks of flush. I'd hate to waste that final ripening time with no nutes. I'm feeling more confident with your's and @andIhalped inputs - thanks! :peace:

I flushed my first few grows but I can't tell a difference between flushed and not flushed buds.
Same here & I can't tell any difference. Two plants from my last yr's grow weren't flushed at all & they have the best aroma & taste of anything I've ever grown & better than 90% of anything I've ever smoked.

Well, Blueberry Muffin had a nice 7-day dry in the shed, and yesterday we inspected, manicured, and then jarred her.

Dry Shed 01a.jpg

We had a minor issue of bud rot on some of the buds, so from an abundance of concern, we tossed approx 1.5 ounces of potentially affected weed. Really it was so small, I needed a magnifying glass to see most of it, but @Liquidintel was insistent that none of the bad stuff gets mixed in with the good.
We still ended up with a pretty good yield: A total of 9.89 oz (3 grams shy of 10 oz) of flower and approx 2 oz of trim!

In the past, when curing, I would leave the bud in a jar in a cool, dark place for 2 weeks, and didnt touch it.

This year for curing we put in boveda 62% humidity packets inside the jars. What are your thoughts on opening the jars daily, or every other day to recirculate the air? Is that a must?

Thanks!

I just reduce nutrients when they slow down on drinking at the end.

That's a smart way to ween the plants off the nutes without going completely dry. I like this approach very much!

In the past, when curing, I would leave the bud in a jar in a cool, dark place for 2 weeks, and didnt touch it.

This year for curing we put in boveda 62% humidity packets inside the jars. What are your thoughts on opening the jars daily, or every other day to recirculate the air? Is that a must?

Thanks!
Opening the jars every coupla days is a good idea, even with the boveda. It gives you a check on the cure. In the unlikely event of a musty smell, it'll tell one that they may need a bit more drying.

Also because I'm cheap, I use dried crumpled newspaper instead of boveda...old backpacking trick for hiking boots.

, I use dried crumpled newspaper instead of boveda...old backpacking trick for hiking boots.

That's absolutely brilliant! How well does that work?

That's absolutely brilliant! How well does that work?
Works well enough for me.

The newspaper is not a harsh dessicant but will absorb a bit of ambient moisture & then come into equilibrium with the buds. When I check the cure, if the newspaper feels a bit "undry" I change it out. If not I just leave it. I don't use a lot, just about 1/4 of a page crumpled.

Haven't cross-checked it w/ an in-jar RH measurement, but I don't think people check on the bovedas via measurement.

it's worked out peachy for me. And: it's a hack from the days of yore when backpacking boots were all heavy leather with temp. sensitive glue in the soles. Filling moist boots w/ newspapers acted as a very mild desiccant w/o overdrying. Learned that trick from a genuine master of backcountry foot travel.

While I'm waiting for Blueberry Muffin to cure and Blackberry Fire to ripen, I've messed around with my grow data to create some info graphs. Let me know what you think.
Blueberry Muffin Chart.jpg

Blackberry Fire Chart.jpg

Is there any other info that would be good to add?

While I'm waiting for Blueberry Muffin to cure and Blackberry Fire to ripen, I've messed around with my grow data to create some info graphs. Let me know what you think.
Blueberry Muffin Chart.jpg

Blackberry Fire Chart.jpg

Is there any other info that would be good to add?
Looks good to me.

Height doesn't tell the whole story, but no simple performance metric does.

But plant height does have the great virtues of integrating a lot going on with the plant, & it's easy to measure & understand.

I wouldn't add anything--Simplicity is an underappreciated virtue.

Tremendous work, as your grow shows & the graph corroborates--every move made was a good one. Kudos.

Meanwhile, on this corner of the crumpled continent, I've been trimming away on my very early Lebanese x Nepalese hybrid

Grow on!

Thanks @andIhalped :peace:. Those are some very nice looking buds - they look pretty dense and hairy! Where do you stand on trimming philosophy? By the photo, it looks nice and tightly manicured -- not much leaf left. Having only gone through a trim once myself, I'm still figuring out what I prefer.

Welcome, the more the merrier! :welcome:

Back
Top Bottom