Beginner's Log

You seem to be confused about what "trust but verify" means Charlie. It means you verify, not me! I already told you it's best used within 1 year of that date. Trust me but go verify it. :)

I'm on the road at the moment so I'll answer these when I get back to the office!
Do you even test Pro Mix (PM) for media pH? According to the PM mfg website (doing the reading for you here Regrowth here):

PM is “packaged with relatively low moisture, so the limestone does not activate for some time; therefore, freshly packaged growing media may have a pH of 4.5-4.9 (saturated media extract test method or S.M.E.). Over time, the limited moisture within the package of an unused growing medium slowly dissolves the limestone, resulting in an older, unused growing medium having a higher pH than when it was first manufactured. This change in the pH will occur a little faster if the moisture content of the growing medium is higher. Typically the pH of an unused PRO-MIX product that is 4-9 months old is 5.2-5.8 (S.M.E. method), depending on the product and the moisture content. A growing medium should be used within nine to twelve months of its manufacturing date to ensure that the pH of the unused growing medium is not too high.”
(From: Low pH of Fresh Growing Media | PRO-MIX)

Therefore, if PM is 4-to-9-months old it may have low pH (less than pH-5.5). However, if PM is 12-months old it may have high pH (greater than pH=6.5). Just saying the pH of PM is ever changing and should be measured before using and adjusted if necessary based on age of the product.

The mfg website says that and shows you how. Just saying you shouldn't just use water or soil-media without knowing the pH of the media.

PM is like a fine wine - no more than 4-months old and less than a year-old is best use. But who knows, really? The pH of PM is always on the move (according to the mfg'r).
:)

Hey fellas play nice....
Can I use this and just drop it in my water and be straight??

Screenshot_20220209-130727_Chrome.jpg
No. I would not recommend it.

Sorry Charlie, I was just responding to your reticence to believe the usefulness of the manufacture date. I hope you've satisfied your curiosity by now!

@Regrowth is correct for fresh ProMix. The durability of the buffering capacity of ProMix depends on your water and nitrogen type, but no amount of pH'ing your nutes changes that. Pour 4.0 water through ProMix that slurry tests at 7.4 and 24 hours later your ProMix will still be 7.4. That's not how you adjust the pH of your ProMix when necessary.

As mentioned in the quote Regrowth pulled, ProMix pH will vary over time depending on the variables I just listed. Soil will as well, but it resists that drift better than peat.

Fair nuff! I won't continue down this path. :ciao:
I never indicated nor posted that pouring pH'd water through PM media or other soil-media would significantly change the soil pH.

I just said you need to test & pH your water and soil before using and along the way.

That is not the purpose of pH'ing the water (changing soil pH). Ph'ing water has to do with freeing nutrients for uptake and not locking them up.

Do you even test Pro Mix (PM) for media pH? According to the PM mfg website (doing the reading for you here Regrowth here):
Seriously Charlie, I don't know why you are bogging up Marcus' thread with this. He's already said he's not going to use ProMix and yet you're still at it.
you need to test & pH your water and soil before using and along the way.
I don't test my substrate until I believe there is a problem with it. And I recommend the same to soil or soilless growers. Reply in your thread if you want but I can't see your purpose in continuing in Marcus' journal.

@7Dust2 loves a good mashup! LOL!
Healthy . Now it's called make up seggs. Lmao. Jk. Guys. Healthy tho. No everyone going to see eye to eye. Everytime I say what wrong with a plant. Someone says it's something else and usually wrong. But I just try not to say unless someone ask. I don't know alot of technology sht. But when it comes to basic nitrogen potash and cal. Mag and basic farming problems I can spot them from miles away. But I don't like to brag and crap. Just like to see and read what issues and problems and the fixing . It's kinda Kool sometimes. See the opions and such . I'm no expert by far. But like some of these guys they know these plants like back of their hands . And go it down to science.. which is Kool. I had to ask about mine that died trying to save it. I asked questions too. But u can ask Jon. I went around found out who I can talk to and see who knows what. . Hell he didn't even know I had a journal for long time.. people is people . Everyone does sht different. For sure.. I sure do. I'm probably only one growing naturally . I do t do chems unless absolutely need too. To get effect I want.. I use more natural sht than anything. Hell I put firewood ash in my grow.
I'm nuts. As is.

Sorry Charlie, I was just responding to your reticence to believe the usefulness of the manufacture date. I hope you've satisfied your curiosity by now!

@Regrowth is correct for fresh ProMix. The durability of the buffering capacity of ProMix depends on your water and nitrogen type, but no amount of pH'ing your nutes changes that. Pour 4.0 water through ProMix that slurry tests at 7.4 and 24 hours later your ProMix will still be 7.4. That's not how you adjust the pH of your ProMix when necessary.

As mentioned in the quote Regrowth pulled, ProMix pH will vary over time depending on the variables I just listed. Soil will as well, but it resists that drift better than peat.

Fair nuff! I won't continue down this path. :ciao:
Whatever...let's get back to Marcus and his yellowing leaf.

You're free to do what you like. Please, stop quoting posts you've already replied to and trying to belittle me for god knows what reason. I appreciate the fact that you took the time to quote the articles and to clarify things. Really... But now you're just backtracking and perhaps looking to argue. I read everything you've written and now I just don't feel I need to reply any longer or feed into this. We've both said enough. Now please let the thread continue like it should.
If you felt "belittled", I am sorry. It was a spirited discussion and not meant to harm.

You're free to do what you like. Please, stop quoting posts you've already replied to and trying to belittle me for god knows what reason. I appreciate the fact that you took the time to quote the articles and to clarify things. Really... But now you're just backtracking and perhaps looking to argue. I read everything you've written and now I just don't feel I need to reply any longer or feed into this. We've both said enough. Now please let the thread continue like it should.
My mistake, sorry. :ganjamon:

Seriously Charlie, I don't know why you are bogging up Marcus' thread with this. He's already said he's not going to use ProMix and yet you're still at it.

I don't test my substrate until I believe there is a problem with it. And I recommend the same to soil or soilless growers. Reply in your thread if you want but I can't see your purpose in continuing in Marcus' journal.
Care to post-in @marcus611a ? I mean if this discussion is "bogging" you up, say no more...

Healthy . Now it's called make up seggs. Lmao. Jk. Guys. Healthy tho. No everyone going to see eye to eye. Everytime I say what wrong with a plant. Someone says it's something else and usually wrong. But I just try not to say unless someone ask. I don't know alot of technology sht. But when it comes to basic nitrogen potash and cal. Mag and basic farming problems I can spot them from miles away. But I don't like to brag and crap. Just like to see and read what issues and problems and the fixing . It's kinda Kool sometimes. See the opions and such . I'm no expert by far. But like some of these guys they know these plants like back of their hands . And go it down to science.. which is Kool. I had to ask about mine that died trying to save it. I asked questions too. But u can ask Jon. I went around found out who I can talk to and see who knows what. . Hell he didn't even know I had a journal for long time.. people is people . Everyone does sht different. For sure.. I sure do. I'm probably only one growing naturally . I do t do chems unless absolutely need too. To get effect I want.. I use more natural sht than anything. Hell I put firewood ash in my grow.
I'm nuts. As is.
The voice of reason...thank you @7Dust2 .

I'm not going to use pro mix enough of it please

Care to post-in @marcus611a ? I mean if this discussion is "bogging" you up, say no more...
See above.

Please drop this subject. I respect you Charlie, and clearly Marcus does as well and values your insight, but he has requested it end.

There is no need for one further post on this subject within Marcus's journal.

Don't care who it's from (unless Marcus or admin), but I'll be the one to click "report".

Respectfully,

Rex

End of subject.

Okay here we go where I have the line drawn on the right is Judith that's a whole other plan on her own monster cropped topped clone is what she is. Now on the left is Clementine you see your top the leaves that are starting to look shitty is on the branch that's on her ass and I guess that's her ass end and I've always heard leaves at the essence start turning yellow but do they at the tops of the damn Branch like that? I think something might be up if it is fucking I don't know what to do

20220113_203749.jpg

Last time I watered I really hope I calibrated that damn thing right I stuck it into 4.0 solution it said 4.0 was what it read I stuck it in the 9.18 it read 9.18. so I don't know hell. That's why I was asking about those 6.5 pH tablets could not have mix up my nutrients drop one in the damn gallon jug in the water automatically be 6.5? I just don't want to fuck these plants up and all goes to hell and back I'm waiting on my taxes and I'm ordering another pH meter then I'll have to an extra powders to calibrate.

Back
Top Bottom