Blueberry Canuk & Euphoria Royal Queen - Organic Soil - CFL Only - First Grow

They look like they are finishing up great! The Euphoria trichs look like they are clouding up and Blueberry still looks mostly clear.

Back to the pot...

Started by cutting a bottom...

Bucket_Geo_bottom.JPG

Then the sides...

Bucket_Finished-2.jpg

Bucket_Finished.jpg

The textile is all wrinkled, but that is unavoidable since the bucket is larger at the top than the bottom.

btw the bolts were removed and reinserted thru the fabric at the end, and the bottom is fitted last.

Great pictures! I love the first one, with all the buds popping up through the canopy.

The new pistils could be the start of some foxtails. I could be wrong, but I think the rest of the bud continues to bulk up even with the new growth happening.

Great pictures! I love the first one, with all the buds popping up through the canopy.

The new pistils could be the start of some foxtails. I could be wrong, but I think the rest of the bud continues to bulk up even with the new growth happening.

Yeah, it's a bit of fox-tailing (in the sense of new calyxes on top of old calyxes), but there is no sign of long tails growing at the top.

If I refer to this, I'd be on the "good" side :

1661131604296.png

Buds have fattened up and calyxes got more plump recently. The biggest buds seem heavy (the breeze makes the branches move in a slow heavy manner).

Maybe when the majority of calyxes are already brown, the plant thinks it's time to grow new calyxes to get a chance to be pollinated ?

There is one night, a few days ago, when there was a light leak. I forgot to close some door, and light of day came in indirectly. It was not a sunny day, and I suppose the plants got at least 8 hours of total darkness. It's possible that this event triggered the new calyx growth. I'm watching for bananas, but did not see any yet.

Also... The two strains (Blueberry and Euphoria) exhibit the same growth patterns and started to make new Calyxes at the same time. That leads me to say that the cause is probably more environmental than genetic.

2 days after new Calyxes appeared, I put the light a bit higher from the buds. But I don't think it was light related since buds lower down the branches have new calyxes too.

Anyway... if the plants make bigger buds and do not hermie, it will be a good thing in the end. But I'm afraid ripening will be retarded.

Day 87 / 56F.

Today is the 56th (supposedly the last) day of flowering for Phoria...

Well... it'll be 1-2 weeks more to go I suppose. Clear trichomes and no amber in sight.

Blue :

Blueberry-87.jpg

Phoria :

Euphoria-87.jpg

Predominantly brown pistils, except for the new ones.

Power consumption :

I calculated, based on an theoretical 96 days grow (I'm at 89) :

Num. of bulbs x wattage x days x hours of light / 1000 : 476Kwh *

* Kwh was calculated for 5 actual different periods of the grow, with different n. of bulbs and different n. of hours of light.

Total cost of electricity (lights only) : 42.50$ (21.25$ per plant)

In my case there are 2 other electrical appliances not taken into account : Dehumidifier and Carbon filter fan. I suspect the dehumidifier to be more costly than the lights. It would probably be a good idea to put the dehumidifier on a timer, put it off during the night, back on during the day... It would get humid during the night, but maybe the humidifier would be more efficient having a greater heat and RH% to deal with during the day ?

$21.25 per plant is a great ROI, no matter how much your final yield will be! Electricity, water, soil and nutes are your only consumables during a grow (I'm probably forgetting something). The equipment costs can get spread out over this and future grows.

The dehumidifier probably runs up the bill quite a bit. I was running my dehumidifier on a timer, running it during the dark cycle, mostly just to avoid the possibility of tripping the circuit. But that seemed to be fine for keeping the RH in check. Now I have it off since I'm back in seedling stage. But today it's getting unbearably humid in my workspace/grow room!

There is a chart on the back of my dehumidifier...
It says to use it only with RH higher than 65% an temps over 25 deg Celsius. (I used it a lot outside of that range)
It's rather less efficient in lower temps and RH, that's why I'd run it during the day (higher transpiration and temps) I think.

Day 95 / 64F.

Euphoria (supposedly an 8 week flowering plant) and Blueberry (9 w plant) are now starting their 10th week of flowering.

I decided to let them flower a little longer.
Harvest will occur during some weekend... the next or the other ? not sure.

No signs of amber (or milky for that matter) trichomes. Can that change in a week ? I doubt it...

Blue :

Blueberry-95.jpg

Phoria :

Euphoria-95.jpg

They're getting close it looks like.

2 weeks ago, they started making abundant new pistils / foxtailing. A few days later I augmented the dark period by 1 and later by 1.5 hours, in the hope of containing foxtailing and to speed thing ups a bit. Dark period is now 13.5 hours (10.5h light).

Nutes : I stopped giving nutes at the same time. Excess reserve of N in soil is the probable cause of foxtailing. I now only give a small dose of catalyst (molasses based micro-nutrients). New growth seems to have stopped, waiting for ripening.

Back
Top Bottom