Blueberry Canuk & Euphoria Royal Queen - Organic Soil - CFL Only - First Grow

Day 108, 76 days (11 weeks) of flowering, total ~15.5 weeks.

Euphoria was harvested this morning. Very different buds, very compact and very smelly compared to Blue.

I'm pretty happy with her. I thought she would yield less than Blue, but there is much more density.
More small buds went in the trim bucket in the hands of my girlfriend: she wanted to smoke some very soon ;-)

Euphoria-108.jpg

Hygrometer : I'm planning to buy a few of these (3.41$ CA on Amazon), to monitor the curing jars...

31vXKqBLdOL.jpg

I plan to drill a hole in the lids to tightly fit the probe in the jar. Those are precise to +/- 5%, so having a few (I'm thinking 4) would provide a good average. I'd fit 2 on Blueberry jars and 2 on Phoria jars. I'll be using 8oz mason jars.

Anyone has experience qith that kind of hygrometer/probe ?

Also planning to buy a smartphone 20x Macro lens for a next grow. Trichome photography was difficult with standard lenses, and someone told me those little clip-on lenses were surprisingly efficient.

Any of you used something similar ?

Macro_Lens.jpg

There are different models, and Macro magnifications ranging from 10x, 15x, 20x. Priced around 20$ dor 20X lenses.

Nutriments : I think I'd try Botanicare's Pure Blend Pro Soil Bloom, for the flowering phase in a next grow. I'd keep going with EJ Grow for the veg phase but will not use EJ Bloom anymore.

Anyone used Botanicare's pure blend bloom in organic soil ?

What about this...

Q: Is Pure Blend Pro completely organic?
A: Pure Blend Pro is natural and organic-based, not “100% organic.” Although it is created from natural and organic inputs such as humic acid, guano, kelp, rock phosphate, and carbonates, these naturally-occurring inputs are processed for enhanced stability and product quality purposes which prevents it from qualifying as completely organic.

Hygrometer : I'm planning to buy a few of these (3.41$ CA on Amazon), to monitor the curing jars...

I plan to drill a hole in the lids to tightly fit the probe in the jar. Those are precise to +/- 5%, so having a few (I'm thinking 4) would provide a good average. I'd fit 2 on Blueberry jars and 2 on Phoria jars. I'll be using 8oz mason jars.

Anyone has experience qith that kind of hygrometer/probe ?

I ordered this one from Amazon (over a week ago):

Hum4.jpg

It's taking Amazon forever to ship it. I use quart and half-gallon mason jars and that should easily fit inside. I'll just move it from jar to jar.

8 oz jars seem pretty small....you might need a lot of them.

It's taking Amazon forever to ship it. I use quart and half-gallon mason jars and that should easily fit inside. I'll just move it from jar to jar.

Yeah, 8 Oz is small-ish, but I have a ton of them (I'd be surprised if I used more than 4-5 for each plant). Small jars is one reason I skipped on that Inkbird model (too big in the jar), and also I think I prefer only a probe in the jar (I can switch one meter for another from the outside), it's smaller, and costs less (I can buy several), and I can turn the unit off while not in use, etc.

If the Inkbird or other models had been precise to 1% RH, I would have made a different choice... but they're all pretty much +/- 5%.

P.S.: I suppose that in small vs big jars, the RH on the top buds vs bottom buds would be more even in small jars ? Need to manipulated and move the buds around in big jars ?

I don't know how much weight I can expect form my harvest, but I figure that each 8oz jar can hold about 10-12 grams of buds... 5 jars would hold 50-60 grams. (Based on people saying a Quart (32oz) jar holds like ~45 grams).

I think 45 grams could be the yield of each of my plants; 30 or less, I'd be pretty disappointed. 50+ I'd be quite happy, 60+ I'd be amaaazed..

PW, any clue just by eyeballing my harvest ?

P.S.: I suppose that in small vs big jars, the RH on the top buds vs bottom buds would be more even in small jars ? Need to manipulated and move the buds around in big jars ?

One thing I'm noticing is that the buds that are more packed together in the bottom of my jars are the ones that are starting to smell amazing. The ones that are more loosely packed at the top still have some of the grassy smell.

One thing I'm noticing is that the buds that are more packed together in the bottom of my jars are the ones that are starting to smell amazing. The ones that are more loosely packed at the top still have some of the grassy smell.

That would suggest slow drying at the bottom, and too fast drying at the top ?

Hygrometer :

Yeah... I thought I had time... but time flies. Tried to order some hygrometer on amazon, but everything ships from Asia and takes forever. I ordered some cheap round one because the sale and shipping was fullfilled by Amazon. We'll see but I don't think I'll have any hygrometer in time to be useful. I guess I'll be checking the moistness with my fingers everyday, crap.

Mason Jars...
Change of plan; I have less 8oz jars than I thought. The girlfriend used some for other things and now there aren't that many left. I'll get some 16oz ones I guess. Each plant should fill about 2-3 jars. If I got the 32oz ones... I'd probably fil 1 1/2.

Drying : I think the hanging buds may be drying a bit too fast. After 4 days, smaller buds feel dry. Buts stems don't snap.

RH level is at ~55% and temp 20-21C. Small 4" fan blowing indirectly.

I put the trims and some popcorn buds in paper lunch bags. Those are moist.
I'm thinking I could move the smaller hanging branches/buds into grocery paperbags to slow the drying a bit.

Or hang some big plastic trash bags on the same ropes the buds are suspended on...

Hygrometer :

Yeah... I thought I had time... but time flies. Tried to order some hygrometer on amazon, but everything ships from Asia and takes forever. I ordered some cheap round one because the sale and shipping was fullfilled by Amazon. We'll see but I don't think I'll have any hygrometer in time to be useful. I guess I'll be checking the moistness with my fingers everyday, crap.

If you used the free shipping, Amazon probably won't even ship it for a week. I think their free shipping option sucks nowadays. They put you at the bottom of the list if you're not a Prime member.

Mason Jars...
Change of plan; I have less 8oz jars than I thought. The girlfriend used some for other things and now there aren't that many left. I'll get some 16oz ones I guess. Each plant should fill about 2-3 jars. If I got the 32oz ones... I'd probably fil 1 1/2.

One nice thing about the bigger jars is you can get them in wide-mouth. Another thing is you can put in larger buds, so you don't have to break them up. I'd think bigger buds would cure slower.

If you used the free shipping, Amazon probably won't even ship it for a week. I think their free shipping option sucks nowadays. They put you at the bottom of the list if you're not a Prime member.
One nice thing about the bigger jars is you can get them in wide-mouth. Another thing is you can put in larger buds, so you don't have to break them up. I'd think bigger buds would cure slower.

That's not my experience with Amazon Canada. Shipping is usually like 2 days even if they say 6+ days. But for that particular item (hygrometer) I think they don't even have it in stock as they told me "We need a little more time to provide you with a good estimate. We'll notify you via e-mail". Might be long.

My smaller 8oz jars were wide mouth too. I'll need 16oz jars anyway, hope to find some wide-mouths in that format.

Hey, just for the sake of posting something... it's been 5 days since my last post.

Blue and Phoria are now curing in jars (3 x 16 oz jars each). I left some stems to keep a little more moisture.
Blue buds seem perfect, but Phoria's seem a little dryer than I wished. But Blue's are in the jar only since 24hrs, so they may become a little more moist in the next 24.

I weighted about 75gr each plant, but that's with some stems and not cured. So i'll probably only get ~30gr ea. in the end ;-(

I also received my small circular hygrometer... Yeah, I just bought one. Told myself : Why always be such a perfectionist and control everything so much, ahaha. I just want to make sure the buds are not too wet.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61koAq+emlL._SL1100_.jpg

Looks big, but it's like 1 1/2 inch diameter. Pretty small, fits great into the curing jars. Good 5$ invest.

I compared with an other hygro/temp meter I have (bigger honeywell); Both should have +/- 5%RH precision (maybe 3-4 for honeywell), so I made an average. They had 3% difference, so now I read them accordingly; Honeywell gets a +1% bonus, circular one gets -2% penalty ;-)

My Euphoria buds (witch I let dry on the stems longer than Blue) are at 65% RH, and Blue buds are at 68%RH.
Just by guessing (without hygro), I put them in a good cure zone already ;-)

But I'll open the Blue jars more frequently now that I know they are in the upper 60's RH.

I'll check the RH again after not touching the jars for a whole night. Different readings maybe.

Back
Top Bottom