Borntorun's 2009 outdoor grow.snottygirl

Re: borntorun's 2009 outdoor grow..snottygirl

listen to and watch the birds if the are tweeting away your fine if they takeoff someones coming

That is usually part of the program. There are a couple ducks that are always sitting close to the plants and on the way in there is a great blue heron that always takes off at the slightest movement.

It's funny though, once I hit the garden I immediately relax and enjoy myself. Yesterday as I was sitting there enjoying the moment an otter swam right up to me. I hope they don't eat cannabis.

wow sounds like your spot is pretty secluded

Bubble, bubble toil and trouble..the witches brew

The next batch of nettle tea is just about done. This batch is a microbial brew, where the goal is to grow a huge population of microbes. You do this by adding some microbe food like molasses or kelp powder. I use the kelp because I have it around and it also has a bunch of other good stuff in it (one cup per 5 gallons) And then a catalyst has to be added. You can use Humic Acid, Fulvic acid or yucca extract. Then you have to aerate the who mix by pumping air into it. I use Fulvic Acid and you will see later on how important Fulvic is to having incredible soil. You can get it by the gallon from Amazon. These microbe colonies also live on the foliage and break down the nutes you spray on the leaves into something that the plant can process. So it is a good thing to spray the plants with this mix and later on with just a plain Fulvic Acid and lemon juice mix.

DSC008312.JPG

As you can see, I have a never ending supply of nettles!

DSC008332.JPG

Ha at first you thought that was cannabis didn't you?!!
I better throw in a picture of some plants just to make you happy.

Here is a couple of trays of babies just getting ready to go outside. The ones in the square cowpots are snottygirl clones and the ones in the round pots are BC Sweet God from BC Bud Depot. I don't usually do cris/crosses but the idea of speeding up the process with Sweet Tooth is appealing. These aren't sexed so I will have to watch for males.

DSC008413.JPG

cheers!

Deer are amazingly adaptable...they'll get used to damn near anything. In my outdoor growing days, nearly 20 years worth, we never completely did away with the deer problem, but we did come up with some techniques that helped quite a bit. Bear in mind that the ideas we used were for deer living in the Southeast US, but the same principals will apply.

1-Deer's diets vary widely during the prime growing months of early April to late October. Early on deer are looking for green shoots. This fresh growth is easy to digest, which is important to does with fawns still tagging along. This is the time that the plants are most likely to be completely wiped out. Our solution to this time of year was to plant food plots of clover near water sources. There are other things you can plant as well, if the climate won't support clover. If you don't hunt yourself, find a hunter and ask. Any hunter worth his/her salt will know what deer are feeding on year-round, and won't miss an opportunity to show off his/her knowledge.

2-As the season progresses, the deer will gradually move away from the clover patches, looking for more substantial food. Berries and young fruit from wild fruit trees become the main target. This is likely the safest time of the season from deer. Around here that period streches from late May/early June until the harvest season of September rolls around. Lots of corn and soybean farmers close to me.

3-There will be a short period where all the deer congregate in these freshly harvested fields, filling up on easy pickings. This won't last more that a week to ten days at the outside. And then a dicey period starts up again.

4 Things are starting to die off now, the nights a cooling off rapidy and the deer, especially the bucks, are breaking up from their early season groups, and roaming in search of food and marking out territory for the upcoming rut. Deer corn widely distributed close to water holes and bedding areas will help contain their movement to some extent, but they are biologically driven to roam and mark.

5-Electronic predator call like coyote calls are very good at keeping deer away, but aren't really pratical, but human scent will do it to a fair-the well. Got to the gym and work up one hell of a sweat...then drag those clothes all around your patch and if possible hang them from a medium height branch where the winds can circulate the scent. Replace weekly.

Don't overuse the human scent technique. As I said, deer are amazingly adaptable, and will, with time, get used to the smell.

I hope this helps. I realize that the deer in the Pacific Northwest have different foods than Southeast US deer, but the same pricipals will apply. I hunted blacktail and sitka deer in the NW...Whitetail all over the US and Canada...and cous whitetail in Mexico, and know for sure that deer act like deer no matter where they are...the whole key is to know what, where and when they are feeding, then give them an alternative to your plants.

Deer are amazingly adaptable....

Thanks SW, that's great stuff. I thought the deer skeleton would keep them away but the one that scared the shit out of me was 25 feet from there. I've been watching their behavior here in my yard. They pretty much just grab a mouthful and move on to the next bush. Sort of my MO too :)

We never really run out of stuff for them to eat. Their only enemy is coyotes and cars. The population is up this year and it seems like the coyotes is down.

"Well life on the farm is kinda laid back"

I can start to relax. All the plants are in the ground. Every little bit of evidence is gone. Not a trace. No lights, no pots, no paraphernalia, no anything. Computer wiped clean, even these post are done through a proxy server. Permit in order. Weather turning good. Have I missed anything?

So now it is time to kick back for a couple of months and let things happen as they will.

"Ain't much an old country boy like me cant hack"

looking good I'm thinking BC Buddepot's Pinewarp for next summer and maybe purps in hydro

looking good I'm thinking BC Buddepot's Pinewarp for next summer and maybe purps in hydro

They were okay, I ordered a dozen and they sent an extra 8 seeds. They were pretty slow, like 4 weeks, not sure if that was just a glitch. I had to email them to ask what the deal was and they said everything was shipped from europe. The package arrived 5 days after that email and the postmark was Vancouver, BC. Anyway the extra seeds were nice. And out of the 20 seeds 15 germanated.

Personally, I think it would be best to order your seeds for next year in Dec. and hope you are getting this years seeds and not the left overs from the year before.

Memorial Day! The kickoff to the growing season

Finally getting some sun and warm weather. The cool wet weather hasn't seemed to bother the plants but I know a nice stretch of 80 plus days will really kick start them. Several of the plants are now well over 3 foot and really starting to branch out. The nettle tea goes on them this week.

maybe I'll just stick with DrChronic and get seedsmans northern lights no1, afghani no1, and a couple strains from THSeeds

maybe I'll just stick with DrChronic and get seedsmans northern lights no1, afghani no1, and a couple strains from THSeeds

I want to try some Alaskan Ice next year. Can't remember which seed company has it. It is supposedly the highest THC content measured and it flowers early and does well in cooler climates. If you can believe the ad.

Back
Top Bottom