Bowl Trimmers

gr865

Anyone using something like this? If so how does it work, getting tired of spending hours upon hours trimming by hand.

61v-2wOcCcL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I love mine! It was a real game changer. Its not the same as hand trimmed, but to be done in 1/8 the time... that convinced me.

Thanks so much for the response.
So you remove all the fan leaves, and after drying you put it in the bud trimmer? I know this is a guessing question and it depends on how much you trim the bus first, but how my trim do your get, say per OZ of buds.

I have been doing a wet trim, by immediately removing the buds from the plant, trimming them, and then drying. A friend showed me the difference between doing it that way, compared with hanging the plants to let the buds dry with the sun leaves curling up to protect the buds for a week or so, and then trimming them, to go almost immediately into the curing process. His buds were better than mine, so now I am going to try it that way.

You dont lose all that much with the trimmer really, and of course anything left in the bowl is eligible to make edibles with... I consider that zero loss.

I’ve used my bowl trimmer for years, and when I went commercial, I needed a better solution. I’ve also rented just about every trimmer on the market today. The only thing I didn’t like about my bowl trimmer was the wire grate kind of ate the buds a little more than I’d like. Certainly the most economical out there.
Owning beats renting, but these are pricey pieces of equipment. Tough to justify on a budget for anyone.
What did we settle on? A little known trimmer known as Risentek, and I’m not plugging them. I bought mine, then bought another one.

IMG_1659.jpeg

Here you can see it in the background, and it is the bomb. Yes. That’s a home made bud sorter in front of it. You can buy one for around 6k or build one for under $200.00. Feel free to call me a cheapo…..🤔🙄🫣🤭😎

Gentle on the buds. Closest to a hand trim we’ve come across. Doesn’t break the bank or require a second mortgage…🙄

After using my bowl trimmer a few times and loving the amount of work it saved me, I tried a new method, after a long chat with a long time grower. I have now realized after my own experiments that after a proper week and a half to two week dry in a 65% humidity room, hardly any trimming needs to be done at all.

My last 4 harvests ended up with all the big fan and sun leaves curled around the buds because I basically took the whole plant after cutting and washing, and simply hung it in a humidity controlled room. A simple brush with the hands or a silicone BBQ sauce applying brush and the brittle outer leaves easily fall away, leaving the still moist bud inside. I got a better trim than normal, and much less waste, and it didn't take much time. I bet I only spent 15-20 minutes per plant, separating the buds into a pile after cutting them from the plant, and they were completely trimmed in the process... with very little actual trimming having to be done. I could have run the buds through the roto trimmer for a few turns to make them dispensary smooth, but for my own use, there was no need... they were pretty much cleaned up. Another benefit was that by the time I was done with this work outside of the humidity room, the buds had dropped right into the perfect curing range as soon as I was done, and they hit the jar.

The old guy that showed me this method had evidence to present when showing me the difference between a wet trim and a dry trim. I smoked from a jar of each, and was totally impressed with the better dry and cure that happens naturally with the dry trim and an extra long dry before trimming. Using wet trim, I had never been able to get more than a 3-5 day dry before going to a jar... and surprise surprise, a long slow dry before the trim ends you up with much better product in the end.

The thing that led me to this was seeing the two blades that came with my roto trimmer, one straight and one serrated. I learned that the serrated blade is designed to rip those outer leaves from the buds when you are doing a dry trim, just like I can do manually, and leave you with a smooth bud underneath. You will find that you need fewer turns when dealing with the dry buds, and I recommend rotating a bit slower.

I have had the same bowl trimmer for over 5 years, everyone that uses it loves the thing, several people have borrowed it after I was done for the season. It gets a 5 star review, gosh it saves me time, flowers look great.
Hello there
I’m new 1st yr w my bowl I haven’t even used it yet
Question
How do you clean them I’ve been looking but can’t find anything on how to clean

You cannot clean them easy. I tried to run mine through the dishwasher, bad move by me. Below the handle in the mechanism there is a bearing. I screwed the bearing up by running in the dishwasher. I still use it but have taken the thing apart and oiled the bearing but it is still bad, I have to lean on it to get it turning then it is fine but a bad move. Just wipe it out, careful the plexiglass lid can get fragile with age and use. But still love it and will buy another one when this one is trashed, still good after quite a few years. I soaked the blades in soap and carefully scrubbed, dried them and good as new.

I wipe down all the metal parts with a paper towel dampened with olive oil, then with as many dry paper towels as needed to remove the oil.
The olive oil dissolves any resin left on the metal parts so it's easy to wipe off.
You can also scrape the grate and blades like you would with trimming blades to get some scissor hash before using the olive oil.
You really want to do a thorough job removing the oil. You don't want it to go rancid on the trimmer.

Checking out some YouTube demonstrations for these bowl trimmers. Definitely sounds like a worthwhile investment.

And $48.90 later, I am owner of a 16 inch iPower trimmer. Expected delivery on the 30th. Then I get back to the big push to process.

Looks like it should be getting here any time now(TM)
1701282363507.png

Got it set up, but haven't got around to trying it out yet. Had to get all the previously snipped trim from the different plants ground, weighed, and stowed first. Expecting to be sitting out on the porch finishing the Feyleaf processing within an hour or two (letting it warm up a tad more out there. Temp finally popped up above freezing), then can get started on the main body of Birthday Cake Lite, followed by Bitter Sweet Pie as the final task.

So, anyone ever found additional use for these with any other plant? Worked great on the weed, though trimmed away a tad more than I likely would have manually; any other uses or is it a seasonal tool?

So, anyone ever found additional use for these with any other plant? Worked great on the weed, though trimmed away a tad more than I likely would have manually; any other uses or is it a seasonal tool?
I can't think of any other uses.
For me it's a seasonal tool.

Back
Top Bottom