Brains Escape & Unknown Indica

PopeyeSpinach

Hey guys i figured i would start a journal. I wasnt going to as its my first time, but i didnt see alot of brains escape grows so i thought i would add another.

My grow is a home built job, made from all scrap lumber and plywood so forgive me if its a bit different.

Its 18" deep, 28 wide, 52 tall. I have two pc fans pushing in, and one 5" duct booster pulling out.

I probably shoulda just done one plant but i wasnt sure at onset. I see now its a single plant cabinet

The indica to the left is unknown bagseed thats 20 yrs old, possibly turkish landrace according to source, but not sure. To the right is brains escape.

Both are in 3+ gallon pots of FF HF and OF mixed together with perlite.

My light is a galaxyhydro 300, i know not the greatest but it was cheaper than 10 cfls and puts off little heat. Im on a super tight budget. I only spent money on the light, a fan, and some caulk. So im right at about 150 on the build including the light. Not too shabby.

With no additional cooling it has never gone above 82° even at the end of an 18hr light cycle.

Here are some pics so far
20170511_201806.jpg
20170511_201814.jpg
20170512_213219.jpg
20170516_122550.jpg
20170516_122555.jpg

re: Brains Escape & Unknown Indica

Checked on em after they woke up, did a little LST on the brains, i dont think i should have topped the indica.

20170517_160634.jpg
20170517_160550.jpg
20170517_160544.jpg

re: Brains Escape & Unknown Indica

Figured i would talk about my cabinet. With the exception of the light, fan, and some caulk, i literally had everything in the garage or my shed.

Its built against a concrete basement wall, i left the concrete exposed and painted it white along with the rest of it. Figured it may help keep things cooler.

My door is 3/4 plywood which overlaps the front by 3 inches
20170517_205833.jpg

except where the hinges had a nice 1/4 inch gap. I solved this by cutting a section of black rubber hose lengthwise, and screwing it over the hinges. I then caulked the seam with acrylic latex caulk.
20170517_205758.jpg

But even with the overlap i still had light leaks. So i made a makeshift gasket from a roll of rubber tool box drawer liner, which i cut into a 2" long strip. I folded it over and stapled it down, had a some staple gun malfunctions but its on there, and i swear its an airtight seal now.
20170517_205821.jpg

I originally just had two 3" holes drilled out in the bottom in the hope that the duct booster was enough. But the temps were high 80s-low 90s. So i mounted two PC fans over the holes and wired them into a 12v power block i had, adding these brought the temps to 75-82 average so far.
20170517_205916.jpg

Since space is limited i just hard wired two outlets in the top. In hindsight i should have put two 4 gang boxes in. But the one with the splitter is a timed outlet, the other is always powered.
20170517_205848.jpg

I accomplishd this by installing an outlet above and outside the box. The interior hot outlet is wired direct to the exterior outlet. The timed outlet is wired to a plug which plugs into the timer up top.
20170517_205948.jpg

Looks messy but all the cables are held up by a pipe clamp, and pretty easily adjusted if need be.
20170517_205902.jpg

My scrog net as previously shown, is just leftover plywood strips and a 1x2 which is removable. And then some string i had laying around.
20170512_213219.jpg

So, thats my first grow cabinet ever, i kinda just designed it based the stuff i had on hand and the only spot i had to build it.

Top of the morning to yahhh!!!! Plants got a nice watering yesterday, i almost mucked up though. Gave em a heavy water prob a bit too much on the brains. Well the wife distracted me with honey do's and it wasnt til about 5 hours later i went back just to take a look. Whoops!! I forgot to go back and suck any excess water out of the drain pan, and it was to the brim on the brains. They were just startin to look a little saggy. But i got the water out, then i took some toilet paper rolled tight and stuffed it into tje pan around the pot to soak up any residual.

Were looking lovely today. Noticed a little yellowing on tips, but only on new growth and not on old? Is this a concern, or is it just a genetic co
20170520_131115.jpg
20170520_131123.jpg
lor thing for new growth??

Your screen looks more like it is being used as support for the plants than as an actual scrog. But interesting setup overall. And the mad branching growth provoked by (more or less) constantly forcing all the growing tips back under the screen would probably cause more growth than you effectively have space for, especially with multiple plants.

Ya i was looking at it this morning and thought, i better just let this thing be from now on.

Hoping they show their sex soon, gonna be so much time wasted if they pop balls on me.

I have one feminised seed, "Critical" from queens seeds i think it is. Then i have 4 more regular brains escape seeds.

So maybe i misunderstood the scrog method, it was my understanding the purpose was to train and support the canopy, keeping it at the same level. I think i did do a bit too much training in the brains, i havent done much to the indica as its slowwwww growwwww, i never shoulda topped it.

Eh, it might just be the picture (and my perception). Looks to me like more of the plant is sticking up than just the growing tips. But, yes, what you described pretty much covers it, lol.

BtW, growing two different strains, which probably (and almost certainly when one expresses significantly more indica genes than the other) have different flowering period lengths, grow rates, and rate/length of the stretch (first 40% of flowering) under the same screen can be, well... maddening.

Thank you. I didnt realize that your supposed to stop the LST when you switch to 12s. But i only did it for the first day, and a little the 2nd. Then it kinda hit me that maybe i should just stop and let it just do its thing. But the net is supporting quite a few of the branches which i have them gently bread tied to. I just cut the ties in half and kinda rolled them around the branch/string.

Wow..Those are some healthy looking ladies..:goodjob:

Oh, and i certainly hope they are ladies....they look very lady like to me, but i think its just wishful thinking....hopefully soon they will show as if they show balls im going to immediately start my solo fem critical seed

Well, yall might get a laugh outta this, but i made some hillbilly adjustable lights today. Removed the reflector and clamp from some clamp lights and taped em to some romex wire lol (well, the socket base is zip tied tightly to the romex, the wire is taped). Once again, just stuff i had laying around and i got bored. Ive got some better bulbs on the way, those are just some 13w and a 23w for what they are worth. Also a bit of a temp test, ive held steady at 82° so far. Gonna see what a few extra lights does to me.

20170522_183836.jpg
20170522_183847.jpg

9 days into flowering/12s....i still cant tell, but if anyone else can tell sex from these pics feel free to lemme know. 1st pic is the unknown, 2nd two are the brains escape.
20170526_173804.jpg
20170526_174304.jpg
20170526_174309.jpg

Ive been tucking and poking away for the last 9 day. Its been a struggle, 2 plants is more than i should have going, but i think im doing ok. I had to get a lil mean w the unknown indica as its a light greedy bitch, (hopefully bitch) and i had to pull some of it back down under the netting.
If the goal was huge fan leaves and alot of them, this unknown would be the best plant ever.

20170526_180517.jpg
20170526_180524.jpg

Back
Top Bottom