Burning Lights on Cold Winter Nights

yay herbie,, i have some coming as well,, same freebies too,, strawberry fields forever,, i will have , looking great dch,, plants are swell and swelling nicely,, cheers pal,, :thumb:

The girls wanted to say hello to everyone.
White widow is 6 weeks flower,(7-8 weeks flower recommended)
Nute burn occurred during my flush and return to only water feeding.
- I will be looking closely at the color in the crystals very closely.
- something I noticed, I don't water very often. Don't seem to have any issues. every 5 days is the average. Just wanted to get some feedback about this.

image23902.jpg

--Kabbalah #1and #2
Looking great healthy, 1/3 dose recommended nute feeding
I say the natural grow plant (#2)is more dense and bud is more developed,
But I think the small training and FIM on #1, will give her a run for the money

--- afghan and lemon Kush are doing fine
AF- is on the third node 12/12 from the beginning
lemon Kush- still has her seed helmet on;) but has broke soil. I want to run a 18/6 light cycle but need to buy a timing switch. So I can add some bulk to this round of plants(would be #5+6 for me)

plants lookin great dch,, indeed. iffin it aint broke, it don't need fixin. the watering issue,, there is no laws as to when to water,, your plants tellyou,, and yours are telling you all is good dad, thanks,, great job pal, keep the updates comin,, cheers dch, :goodjob:,,,:Namaste:

Here is my update for today.
(I must get a stronger zoom capable device)
- looking at the WW, the crystal color seems to be changing now
image23967.jpg

-- Kabbalah #1 and #2 are bulking up nicely. I think next feeding will be full nutes for both.
- place your bets now for the highest yield 1 or 2?
image23964.jpg
image23963.jpg
image23965.jpg

---White widow- as our journey nears the end, I keep my hand and eyes on her like a greedy child waiting to enjoy all her spoils.
Lol groupshot
image23966.jpg

All the best

$100 to spend on the grow. What do I get?

I know you've already spent your $100, but before you go spending money on improving your CFL set-up think about saving for a different light (as if you haven't been thinking about it already). Personally, I went with an 400w LED light because of space and heat concerns, but HPS and MH lights are all some people swear by. The recreational grow-op I work at is in the process of switching over to Ceramic MH lights, which use about half the wattage of a regular MH bulb though they are a bit pricey at the moment.

Currently, Mars Hydro is selling off their old 100x3w LED lights (about 175w power draw) for about $75 on Ebay with free shipping. From the reviews I've read, the old LED lights work just as well as the new LED lights from Mars Hydro. For about the cost of seven 26-watt CFLs (rough equivalent), you could have an LED grow light with hanging setup and all. Then the CFLs could be used in your veg box or used to supplement the LED light in your flowering tent.

Just some food for thought. I'm learning that it's better to spend a little extra up front to avoid spending money on equipment that ends up in the back of the closet anyway after deciding to upgrade.

Here's a link to the 100x3w Mars Hydro LED light on Ebay: Marshydro 300W LED Grow Light Kit Horticulture Full Spectrum Hydroponic Plants | eBay

Happy growing!

P.S. I'm not sponsored by or pushing Mars Hydro, but their prices are low, customer service (aka "SmokeSara" on 420magazine.com) is top-notch, and the 400w light I ordered is doing well for my first grow.

My babies under the 400w LED. I adjusted the white balance of my camera, so it appears as natural light instead of the normal LED purple-ish hue.
IMG_64913.JPG

I know you've already spent your $100, but before you go spending money on improving your CFL set-up think about saving for a different light (as if you haven't been thinking about it already). Personally, I went with an 400w LED light because of space and heat concerns, but HPS and MH lights are all some people swear by. The recreational grow-op I work at is in the process of switching over to Ceramic MH lights, which use about half the wattage of a regular MH bulb though they are a bit pricey at the moment.

Currently, Mars Hydro is selling off their old 100x3w LED lights (about 175w power draw) for about $75 on Ebay with free shipping. From the reviews I've read, the old LED lights work just as well as the new LED lights from Mars Hydro. For about the cost of seven 26-watt CFLs (rough equivalent), you could have an LED grow light with hanging setup and all. Then the CFLs could be used in your veg box or used to supplement the LED light in your flowering tent.

Just some food for thought. I'm learning that it's better to spend a little extra up front to avoid spending money on equipment that ends up in the back of the closet anyway after deciding to upgrade.

Here's a link to the 100x3w Mars Hydro LED light on Ebay: Marshydro 300W LED Grow Light Kit Horticulture Full Spectrum Hydroponic Plants | eBay

Happy growing!

P.S. I'm not sponsored by or pushing Mars Hydro, but their prices are low, customer service (aka "SmokeSara" on 420magazine.com) is top-notch, and the 400w light I ordered is doing well for my first grow.

My babies under the 400w LED. I adjusted the white balance of my camera, so it appears as natural light instead of the normal LED purple-ish hue.
IMG_64913.JPG

great info and a good link,, i checked it out,, got me thinkin,, ouch,, hurtin again,, oh boy,,,thanks and cheers

and double kudos for the light balance,, so good,, i am annoyed by the purple pics,,

Water, lights, and whirligigs.

Mystery,
I like your thoughts on upgrading the lights, something I might need to consider.
What are you doing for ventilation?
How are you hanging your lights?
What are your thoughts on the water usage for L.E.D. Grown plants?

Dchannn,
I combined quotes for simplicity. Hope you don't mind. When taking my advice, remember I'm also on my first cannabis grow.

In terms of lights, I think CFL's work great for learning, cloning, germinating, and supplemental lighting. If you want to maximize space and efficiency (which also means saving money), you'll want to upgrade before too long. That said, some very experienced growers swear by CFLs.

As for ventilation, I jerry-rigged a 7" clip fan to the 8" exhaust port. Smell and CO2 needs are minimal at the moment, so buying a true vent fan and carbon filter can wait a little while.

My light hanging setup came with the Mars Hydro LED light, which I supplement with parachute chord and additional carabiners to adjust the height. If it matters, I used a basket-hitch knot to hang the light because it doubles the strength of the para-chord. If knots aren't your specialty, then ratcheting hangers are an option.

Here is the view above my light.
IMG_64985.JPG

As for water usage of plants under LED lights, I hear they drink more than under other lights. That said, LED lights burn cooler than any other light reducing the rate of evaporation. The answer is unclear in my opinion. I can say from personal experience that LEDs produce a great deal of light. The 5-watt LEDs in my light where bright enough to burn the tips of the leaves at 20".

On the topic of water, I recently learned a new method of watering called the SWICK method. Detailed at: SWICK Watering Systems: Letting The Plant Water Itself
I absolutely love it because it takes the guess work out of watering. As Sue says, the plants water themselves.

I filled the drip saucers with Perlite and saturated it with water.
IMG_64955.JPG

Then I placed the fabric pots on top of the Perlite and filled the saucer with water almost to, but not touching, the bottom of the pots. Within 15 minutes, the water was wicked up. I repeated this process several times until the pots no longer wicked up water and left it alone. I liken this method to leaving a bowl of water out for a dog. The plant will drink when it's thirsty.

Notice the hole in the Perlite on the left side of the saucer? That's to judge the water level.
IMG_64965.JPG

If you want clarification on anything, let me know. You seem to be getting the hang of things, and your plants are beautiful even with their short stature. I look forward to your next grow with the lemon kush and strawberry blue, they sound tasty.

All the best,
X

P.S. Thanks for the kudos, Niv.

Re: Water, lights, and whirligigs.

more kudos mys,, great stuff,, very very good information,, cheers:thumb:,,,:Namaste:

Hope all is well in your world.

Is this grow still alive?

We would love to be updated with some pictures and info.

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read our Photo Gallery Tutorial.

I am moving this to Abandoned Journals until we get updates.

Sending you lots of love and positive energy.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom