CA215's 1st Indoor Grow Tent 600W HPS & MH 48X48X78

How many plants should be in my grow tent? (48"x48"x78")

• 1-2

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • 3-4

Votes: 7 25.9%
  • 5-6

Votes: 7 25.9%
  • 7-8

Votes: 12 44.4%
  • Shouldnt have put 5 options ;(

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
:welcome:
Hello all and welcome to my grow log! This has been quietly anticipated on my behalf. I have always wanted to start a little personal set up for myself and the girlfriend for the longest time but was always running into issues whether it be money, time, etc. I'm sure a few of us know the feeling. With the family in the business but quite the distance away I have never been able to learn much. I have grown once outdoors which was this last summer. I had purchased 4 clones from the local dispensaries and ended up yielding a good ounce off each leaving them in 3 gallon buckets with just water and good ol' California sunshine. But outdoor was not my thing. Bugs? Not on my medicine.. That's why this year I want to begin down the road of organic indoor medical growing. But here we go! This thread is literally being started from the beginning. I will be posting bucket sizes/ soil/ strains/ schedules/ and pictures when it comes time. Today I have made a couple investments towards my set up and am trying to stay on a budget. Now that is tax time I'm hoping for a little extra help, just not sure how the whole new tax hike is going to effect our hard earned returns.​

Since this is the beginning I wanted to post a couple links to the equipment I will be working with.
As Follows:
Off brand grow tent 48"X48"X78" - Mylar Hydro Shanty Hydroponics Indoor Grow Tent
Apollo 600W Ballast w/ HPS & MH Bulbs
Humidity Control
NUTRIENTS - General Hydroponics Flora Series QT - FloraGro, FloraBloom, and FloraMicroThis is where it gets tricky. Anyone tried/heard of these nutrients I purchased? Seemed good for the price but then again I don't know squat!!:Namaste:

This is just the start, After I have acquired all my essentials I will be getting this baby up and running ASAP. I am so done with going to the local dispensaries and paying $30-$50/eight when I'm sure I will be able to grow a decent product for the girlfriend and I, with the help of my new home of course!! I am in this for the long run and hope to learn as much knowledge that will be offered!

!!! Thank you for checking my thread out, Check back often for updates !!!

-CA215, out!

Alot to consider there as far as strains and the stretch, how long are you going to veg, going with a scrog, lst or sog. What size pots ??? Me I have a 4x4 tent as well running a 1000w mh/hps combo on a switchable ballist, 9 five gallon buckets squared under the light all plants but one lst'd but the veg time is not going to be super long seeings how the flower time is up to 13 weeks and some of them have 2.5 times stretch. Start small and see how it goes then build from there as you get more comfotable with the plants and your space the plant will let you know, heck Smokemupm8 is growing one that would almost fill that space side to side so it too is what you do with the plant, Happy growing mate look forwardto seeing some nice green healty plants, Peace OG.

OG1969 & 420mag,

Oh man.. page crashed and I had been typing for like 20 minutes.. So I will get straight to the point now.

I messed up on my nutrients. I will be buying Blue Planet Nutrients, Elite Micro Grow Trio for the time being. Maybe the high yield set up when im more comfortable with everything.

I am going to be using 5, maybe 6, Home Depot or Lowes 5-gallon bucketswith holes in the bottoms.
Ive been reading up and watching plenty videos on lst and pinching, and am starting to get a little more comfortable with the idea and will probably attempt this with half the plants.

Strains. I am really not sure. Havent been to the club in a couple weeks, my plans for the time being are to get the healthiest clones I can find at the cannabis club.

I will be using Foxfarm soil. Not sure on the type of mix yet. Good idea? Anyone have anything else in mind?

OK QUESTION TIME! If I can remember everything I had typed up before. All feedback will be greatly appreciated!!

Should I be looking for any specific strains, Perhaps a fast growing strain for veg and a quick flowering time if possible?

Should I be using a little more pearlite than what's in the soil bag already for a little more filtration? I don't want to deal with any root rot but then again I don't want the soil too loose.

Once I come down off my cloud I will remember my other questions, hopefully.

Thank you all for checking out my thread,
Comments & Criticism Welcome!!

Wow one more side note and I hope i'm not irritating anyone.. But I'm, in the quick reply box, I now know where I went wrong. LOL
Please bare with me I will learn!!

-CA215
PUTTING DUCTING THROUGH MY OWN HOUSE DUCTS TO THE ATTIC? Can I do this? I am desperate for a source to vent.. Don't want to use my window, that's just asking for thieves.

I am planning on doing this is my room but am now thinking my garage will be better. I just really don't want to hassle with temps out there as it has been fluctuating here in Cali quite abit.

This site auto saves for you , so you can just hit the button to restore save data, and yes add more permits I should have added more I also added holes on the side of the bucket at the bottoms plus a 2 inch layer of permits on the bottom then soil . Ready to see some plants growing, peace OG

If your running a 600 watt I would do 5 in a dice patttern vegged for 6-8 weeks. I would use 5 gallon pots.

You can also do 10-12 smaller plants in 2-3 gallon pots and veg 3-4 weeks. you might save money on your power if you do smaller plants vegged for less time. I am still pretty new to growing but others should chime in if my info is wack. lol!

good luck and keep em green

hi CA215, Well done starting your journal,
You better get a move on though, people might looooz interest if you take to long to show us what you got.
We loves pictures and helping out new growers.
good luck m8,
greetings from Holland.

cant wait to see this up and running, looking to upgrade to same size tent and simular set up so will be good to see the results as im beginer to indoor growing myself. Good luck and hopefully see it all set up soon

Whats up everyone, back from work with some updates!
Apollo 600W arrived, aswell as the acu-rite, and nutrients that I wanted to send back, actually worked out because one was broken open and leaking.
I picked up some 4"X20' ducting to make this thing work. Im a little skeptical about it because we have a whole house fan and that thing kicks!!! But we will see how it goes.

I got very impatient and headed to the dispensary. Picked up 5 little ones, they are ranging in ago so ill probably just veg until the youngest is strong enough to fend on her own!

The two youngins: Plushberry and the Raskal OG (Fire Kush x SFV OG Kush)

And the other more mature three: Platinum OG Kush, Purple Crack, and the Purple Kush (Hindu Skunk x Purple Afghani)

I have no idea if this is all the right information this is what I was given! :bongrip:

Wooohoo - 420 Magazine Photo Gallery

The youngest of the group Raskal OG - 420 Magazine Photo Gallery

Apollo 600W - 420 Magazine Photo Gallery

Fan for a little cool air - 420 Magazine Photo Gallery

Foxfarm Mix - 420 Magazine Photo Gallery

4" ducting coming out of 6", well see! - 420 Magazine Photo Gallery

Is this acceptable? - 420 Magazine Photo Gallery

Attempting to get some c02 from the peak - 420 Magazine Photo Gallery
^Little help with pictures please bare with me^

I'm waiting on the fans, carbon filter, and the Blue Planet Nutrients. I'm going to need to order another fan for pulling air in from the attic, waiting another couple weeks for another slave check to fill up the bank!! Then we should be good.

I'm really hoping what I have set up at the moment is sufficient. Opening up the house in the morning and afternoon to get a good draft going through in the meantime whilst I wait.

Catch yall on the flip side, this fat chronic doobie has been rolled for too long, peace :tokin:

-CA215 :peace:

If your running a 600 watt I would do 5 in a dice patttern vegged for 6-8 weeks. I would use 5 gallon pots.

You can also do 10-12 smaller plants in 2-3 gallon pots and veg 3-4 weeks. you might save money on your power if you do smaller plants vegged for less time. I am still pretty new to growing but others should chime in if my info is wack. lol!

good luck and keep em green

Ill be doing 5 and setting up like this. Im going to veg for quite awhile I want to get a nice yield (not getting my hopes up) and make sure I get the younger ones chunky enough. Im just hoping these guys don't stretch too much.

I see you and tommy both are in tents aswell, how do you do your up keep? how often do you sop up water and do a nice cleaning? Im just wondering because I was thinking this could be an issue once they start getting bigger and definitely want to know what it is needed..

Do you shoot for a certain humidity % in your tent?

Appreciated the help everyone, once again any info helps a beginner, Thanks for stopping by!!

Be Safe & Stay Smokin!!
:thanks:

if by sop up water you mean clean up the run off when you water them i use a turkey baster to suck up all the water and give the floor a wipe down with kitchen roll just to keep things clean and pest free, there is probably easier ways of doing it but it works for me, when veggin a lot of the run off just evaparated but meant having high humidity which was good at the start when they were seedlings but you want keep humidity down when flowering to prevent mould ( what iv learnt from reading these forums)

The first thing i would do Is set up your ventilation. Are you concerned about smell? If you are I would use a carbon filter strapped to the top of the tent somehow and attach your ducting to this then connect your ducting to your light. on the other end of your light you will run ducting out of the tent and setup up your inline fan. you can keep fan inside tent but it will be cramped and it adds more heat to the tent I believe. I would use a 6" inline fan. exhaust the heat out of the room the tent is in. Just remember get the environment and airflow the best you can before you start.

I no longer run a tent but they are awesome to learn in and gets you going with the basics to start.

I will be back in tomorrow to see if you need any more help. I know there is better growers here but my first grow in a tent went really well pulling .6 grams a watt with a 600. I am out need to sleep.

if by sop up water you mean clean up the run off when you water them i use a turkey baster to suck up all the water and give the floor a wipe down with kitchen roll just to keep things clean and pest free, there is probably easier ways of doing it but it works for me, when veggin a lot of the run off just evaparated but meant having high humidity which was good at the start when they were seedlings but you want keep humidity down when flowering to prevent mould ( what iv learnt from reading these forums)

Yes exactly, I figured I would be needing to clean off the run off as it seemed to be an issue to me & don't want it somehow seeping through and getting to my carpet! I will be picking up some 4' plastic sheets to tape down to the ground for my own sake. Taking the plants out and setting them on the plastic while I clean up should hopefully work well. I will keep this is mind thank you tommyb88!!

The first thing i would do Is set up your ventilation. Are you concerned about smell? If you are I would use a carbon filter strapped to the top of the tent somehow and attach your ducting to this then connect your ducting to your light. on the other end of your light you will run ducting out of the tent and setup up your inline fan. you can keep fan inside tent but it will be cramped and it adds more heat to the tent I believe. I would use a 6" inline fan. exhaust the heat out of the room the tent is in. Just remember get the environment and airflow the best you can before you start.

I no longer run a tent but they are awesome to learn in and gets you going with the basics to start.

I will be back in tomorrow to see if you need any more help. I know there is better growers here but my first grow in a tent went really well pulling .6 grams a watt with a 600. I am out need to sleep.

shottafire, I will hit up Microsoft Paint and get a little diagram going but here is what I'm planning if I can paint a picture well enough. I had got my duct work pulling fresh air @ 220 cfm from the vent in the attic down to the bottom of my tent for a fresh air flow. I will have my carbon filter set up outside the tent with ducting connected to the top with another 220 cfm pulling the bad air out and scrubbing clean through the filter. I am also looking into clip on fans, may just pick up one for the canopy to simulate a nice breeze throughout the day and to keep the hot air circulating.

I still need to figure out my whole plug in timers and what not as i'm going to have a few. I will be researching the heck outta this as I cannnnnnot screw that up!!!

My room is at a steady 50% humidity at the moment, is this an issue or will this jive until the tent arrives?

I am also running the MH dimmed at 75% for a 450W projection, is this ok or should I bump that mo-fo up to 100%?

This morning I had went out to our vehicles and pulled all the sun visors out and have them precariously placed around the clones for a little extra shine! Feel like this 450W is dissipating throughout my whole room!

My temps are PERFECT! Low of 67 and high of 74, Let me know if this is wrong!

It is coming along fellas! about another week give or take and I should be good to go!

Thank yall for your help and steady blazin'!

-CA215, out! :peace:

:passitleft:

Edit: I picked up some pool PH test strips and a PH kit for the time being, I am looking into good ph readers and want to invest in a decent one that will at least get me through my first grow. Any pointers? Anybody have an luck with a certain item? Please let me know! THANKSSS!!

a lot of tents come with a clip on waterproof drip tray made from the same material as the tent so you might not have to worry about your carpets,
u wont need a timer for you exhaust fan as this needs to be left on 24/7, mistake i made at first and only had it on during the lights on but got told by one of the experienced growers on here to leave it on all the time, keeps humidity down aswell and as for temps i think thats pretty much spot on from what iv read and seen on here.
have a look at this link its very usefull and covers loads How to Grow Cannabis - Everything You Need to Know!

a lot of tents come with a clip on waterproof drip tray made from the same material as the tent so you might not have to worry about your carpets,
u wont need a timer for you exhaust fan as this needs to be left on 24/7, mistake i made at first and only had it on during the lights on but got told by one of the experienced growers on here to leave it on all the time, keeps humidity down aswell and as for temps i think thats pretty much spot on from what iv read and seen on here.
have a look at this link its very usefull and covers loads How to Grow Cannabis - Everything You Need to Know!

tommyb88, Thanks for the quick responses!!

I kinda just want to be 100% safe, I don't feel like replacing carpets :D Ok I will be leaving my carbon filter on 24/7. Do I then need my incoming fresh air fan on 24/7 or can I have this on a timer turning on about once every 10 minutes for about 5 minutes to fill it up with C02? Or will the carbon filter that's running all the time end up just sucking the C02 out?? Cant seem to figure this out. I'm thinking I will just have to leave both on 24/7..

i arnt sure about intake fan cos i havnt got 1, i got told just having your intake hole left open at the bottom of the tent would be enough as long as your exhaust fan is pulling enough air out, it causes negative pressure in the tent, basically if your exhaust fan is sucking enough air out of the tent, fresh air will automatically be sucked into the tent via the whole left open at the bottom without a fan. im using a 4inch fan in a 60x60x140 tent and just the exhaust fan is enough plus iv got the osculating fan by the intake hole ( i can feel fresh air being sucked into the tent without a intake fan) ,, arnt sure if a 4 inch fan would be enough in a 1.2x1.2 tent but could do with finding that out my self as going to buy the same size tent as you.

and iv read somewher that when using c02 you need to switch ya fan off for a bit cos the exhaust fan will just suck it all out , and i think temps rise with co2,, i would definatly double check that tho as just going off what iv read.

i arnt sure about intake fan cos i havnt got 1, i got told just having your intake hole left open at the bottom of the tent would be enough as long as your exhaust fan is pulling enough air out, it causes negative pressure in the tent, basically if your exhaust fan is sucking enough air out of the tent, fresh air will automatically be sucked into the tent via the whole left open at the bottom without a fan. im using a 4inch fan in a 60x60x140 tent and just the exhaust fan is enough plus iv got the osculating fan by the intake hole ( i can feel fresh air being sucked into the tent without a intake fan) ,, arnt sure if a 4 inch fan would be enough in a 1.2x1.2 tent but could do with finding that out my self as going to buy the same size tent as you.

and iv read somewher that when using c02 you need to switch ya fan off for a bit cos the exhaust fan will just suck it all out , and i think temps rise with co2,, i would definatly double check that tho as just going off what iv read.

Wow ok I thought about this but figured the air in my room/house wouldn't be sufficient enough! So I guess all my duct work I finished today could just have been a waste of money and time.. damn.. either way ill leave it just incase I am having any C02 problems. Or I could use the ducting to just vent into my attic.. and use the carbon filter in the tent. I got some thinking to do.

For my current fan I was just going off CFM and it seemed to be about 60-80+ what was rated for the 48x48x78 tent so Im hoping this will work just fine.

I Will also keep digging for info! Stay up brotha!

As long as there is an air supply coming into the room the tent is in and you can open a window in the house or get some sort of fresh air in there. Always exhaust your room constantly that way there is a negative pressure on the tent and it is constantly pulling that ambient air in along with co2. If you are supplementing co2 then you would have to air cool the light sparate from your carbon filter, meaning you would need two fans. I would personally use one inline fan to cool the light and scrub/exhaust your air. This was how my first tent grow was setup and it worked like a charm.

Quick update,

Transplanted all clones into 5-gal lowes buckets with about 10-5 holes on the bottom and around the sides.
Mixed 1/3 Fox Farm Ocean x 1/3 Fox Farm Happy Frog x Miracle Grow Perlite. Hope this mix doesn't mess with the BPN?
The purple widow and purple kush roots were growing in circles at the bottom of the Dixie cups, I should have taken some pictures!
I really want to see this Plushberry, really excited.
Tent should be in tomorrow from amazon, and we should be good to go. I work about 100 miles away from where I have this set up. Im really hoping all goes well as im working my routine around all this, driving every other day back to water and do a check up. Definitely not the smartest to do, but well see how it goes.
Ive been doing a little lst on the pk and pw but am not too confident to mess with them all so I will let them go from now.

Ill upload pics tomorrow of what I have set up beside me, and the tent in its place tomorrow (if it arrives)

Peace:peace:

-CA215

Update 2/6:

FOUND MY BAG OF SEEDS! So psyched! I have 3 white widow (these things are fat!! 2x all the others), 1 blue dream (I found in a fat 4 gram nug from the dispensary/55usd top shelf), and an UNKOWN bag of mixed seeds, counting 21! Picked out 4 from the unknowns and are germinating now.. If I can get these going I will veg them for abit indoor and then bury them outside with some nice leftover foxfarm soil!

Staying at the house all day, cant let fedex leave me a note saying I wasn't here. Hoping to get my BPM 3part nutes & the tent!

Back
Top Bottom