Can We Stop Calling Cannabis A Weed? Please?

Please name 1 plant on this earth that did not start it's life as a weed. :rofl: I heard an old gardener say "Weeds are any plant that were not intended to be planted." AKA Volunteers. Like this year, we had tomato and cucumber weeds pop up in our garden. ;)

Wild hemp and ruderalis grows where I'm at and is considered a weed.

Besides, the nickname "Weed" has been around for decades and it isn't going away based on what Oxford dictionary says. Urban dictionary I'm certain states "weed" is something similar to cannabis, although I haven't looked it up and don't feel the need to because it's a moot point.

Hi Obs... actually, there is another definition that does classify our medicine as a weed. Our plant is an aggressive predator and has two root systems, the top spreader roots being what defines it as a weed. These spreader roots exist in the top 2-3 inches of soil and are there to quickly scoop up all of the water in the morning dew or a light rain, before the "wanted" deep rooting plants around it can get to that water. A field of cannabis will easily choke out a cash crop that might be trying to grow in there with it.

So part of your definition from Oxford does fit... Cannabis would find itself in competition with other cultivated plants, and in many cases it would win. As a natural gardener, I have come to appreciate other "weeds" such as the mighty superaccumulator, the Dandelion. One person's weed is another person's most powerful natural fertilizer. The no value part of your definition maybe needs to be re-examined? I find great value in many "weeds" including our favorite.

I choose to embrace the weed, and know that also means it is a fighter and a survivor. Among the plant kingdom, it is one of the hardiest. In many ways I identify with our little weed, for in the business world, I am also a predator of sorts, having choked out those who could not compete with me in my field, like our plant, with the skills and special talents that I bring to the table. I, like our plant, am driven by a prime directive to win and to complete my mission. I have learned a lot about life from studying this plant (maybe under its influence), and I am proud to call it a weed, seeing no stigma in that term.

:peace: :love: :yummy:
Thanks for setting it straight! Some people are just over dramatic I think. Those should smoke more “WEED”.

If they were weeds you wouldn't need skills , just throw a pack of seeds out the door and they will grow in a crack in the pavement without caring for them

Funny thing about that is just last month, for a good week straight, there was a wild cannabis plant growing out of a crack in the sidewalk close to the curb just about a block and a half up the street here. I'm hoping that whoever pulled it managed to get it potted or planted in their yard.

True story.

The neighbour was complaining about the smell of weed up 'n' down the road one day.

I replied back, I have not weeded the back garden in ages :slide:
I wish there was a pic of the neighbors face when you said that hahahahaha

need some help to mow my weeds in the back yard ..

Out of curiosity, how long on average, does it take you to trim one of those babies?? Or how many men are in your trimming army?

Out of curiosity, how long on average, does it take you to trim one of those babies?? Or how many men are in your trimming army?
takes me 5 night s of trimming to do a 1.5 lb grow... 3 -4 hrs a night

that big tree would be 4 - 5 weeks at that rate lol...

I just wanted to take a second to clear this up, because it's maddening.

CANNABIS IS NOT A WEED. HERE'S WHY:

The term "weed" defined by Oxford: "A wild plant growing where it is not wanted and in competition with cultivated plants.

Moreover, a weed is something that has no value to the cultivator.

Cannabis is one of the most valuable cash crops in the world, wherever she grows; even without high THC levels, it's still extremely valuable as a commodity, Hemp!

That's why we should stop saying it's a weed.

Cheers

Obs

Science aside, I assume it became known as "weed" for the same reason that it became known as "marijuana" - because people wanted to vilify it. Ironically, it's mostly cannabis consumers who refer to it as "weed" these days :rolleyes: . Well, them and news-readers, who also like to use the word "marijuana."

I got on a kick for a while, trying to convince people to stop using either "marijuana" or "weed" when referring to cannabis, figuring that the other side didn't need (or, at least, deserve) our assistance in their fight against it. I seem to remember getting (figuratively) shouted at a few times, lol.

, I have come to appreciate other "weeds" such as the mighty superaccumulator, the Dandelion.

If you want to see a fierce plant, let one grow to 5'+ tall - but don't then try pulling it barehanded, unless you also want to see claret ;) . The things kind of branch out after a while, but they're still more or less vertical.

I like calling it dope.

Around here, they call... er... something that is also referred to as horse "dope." Terms change over time. A joint used to be where you ended up after assaulting someone. Then it was a place you went before deciding to assault someone. Now... it's the thing that keeps you from assaulting someone. . . .

Seriously I like calling it MJ (Mary Jane), Bud, Smoke, Scoobie snack, or just a doob. Yes it is by Botany Science a "weed" and that is just the way it is. To me it is my preferred prozac and pain killer. Having Medical uses it should be, IMO, reclassified as a Herb.

Take a tomato plant, use modern techniques, and grow it to its fullest to get the best yield. What do you think you might wind up with? Maybe for a month or more you'll be eating tomatoes. Take a dope plant, use modern techniques, and grow it to its fullest to get the best yield. What do you think you might wind up with? Probably for more than a year you'll be smoking. So shouldn't weed be cheaper than tomatoes? They'd both cost about the same to grow.

I'm out to burn the paper tiger down; that's why I call it weed. And I'm not going to feed that mentality by calling them my girls or ladies either :cough:

It's just a plant, folks; it can't part the Red Sea.

Take a tomato plant, use modern techniques, and grow it to its fullest to get the best yield. What do you think you might wind up with? Maybe for a month or more you'll be eating tomatoes. Take a dope plant, use modern techniques, and grow it to its fullest to get the best yield. What do you think you might wind up with? Probably for more than a year you'll be smoking. So shouldn't weed be cheaper than tomatoes? They'd both cost about the same to grow.

The War on Drugs: Making dealers rich and cartels powerful (and also rich) since June 18,1971. :eye-roll:

Back
Top Bottom