Cart Before The Horse: My First Outdoor Grow

Jaygull

Whats up everyone! I'm Jaygull. This is my first grow journal and my first time growing. I thought I would start a journal here so that I can look back on it to see my progress, remember all the mistakes I made so that hopefully I won't make them again, other members here can give me some pointers, and perhaps this may help out other newbies like myself.

So why "Cart before the horse" you ask? Well I've never even tried MJ. Not once. I'm in California and we just recently made it legal for recreational use. Unfortunately we can't buy it yet and I'm interested to try things out. I thought I'd grow a little to see how I like it as a replacement for alcohol.

I'd been doing quite a bit of research/reading to see what was involved and how to go about things. I've also doen a fair amount of gardening (planted in the ground, not pots and not from seed) so I thought this shouldn't be too hard. I ordered some Bubblelicious auto-flowering feminized seeds from nirvanashop.com which got me 5 seeds, plus 10 of their mystery seeds. Being one who values hands on experience I dove in and got started with the Bubblelicious seeds right away. Knowing what I know now I wish I had started with the mystery seeds as my learning experience. So here's whats happened with the seeds so far.

BL #1 - I mixed my own soil using packaged garden soil, peet, perlite, vermiculite and worm castings. I germinated it in a solo cup and it sprouted in a week. Then the mistakes began. I barely let the first set of true leaves come up before transplanting to a 5 gallon container and started all sorts of over-watering problems. Not to mention being an outdoor grow in January was probably way to cold for it. The little greenhouse tent I had it in did little to keep it warm at night and was too much heat and humidity during the day. It never grew much more than 2 small sets of leaves.

BL #2 - I still hadn't figured out my problem. I decided to plant it directly in a 5 gallon container. It sprouted in about a week and then the over-watering problems started again. The little plant just drowns in the big pots. Its still alive, almost 2 months old and barely bigger than a quarter.

BL #3 - I kind of started to figure out my over-watering problem by this point. So I checked out what potting soil I could get locally and what the grow community was saying about it. I found Kellogs potting soil was generally thought to be too woody but people have had success with it. I picked some of that up and planted seed 3 in a 5 gallon container. It sprouted in about a week and then fell to the same fate as the last 2 seeds. to much water in a 5 gallon container just doesn't dry out fast enough. By this time I finally started to learn that. I've since transplanted it to a 1 gallon container but it hasn't helped. the root ball was so small when I transplanted it that it easily would have fit into a solo cup. And that was after over 1 month.

BL #4 - I finally started learning my over-watering lesson. I started in a solo cup using some Jiffy seedling mix. This one sprouted in about 5 days. The stem was growing nice and long and the first set of leaves was growing bigger than any of my previous plants had. Then I transplanted it to a 2 gallon air-pot, probably too soon. Its in a mix of the Kellogs potting soil, perlite and Jiffy seedling mix. Its been in the air pot for only about 5 days but its actually doing pretty good showing noticeable growth. The airpot dries out much faster than the regular pot so I'm hoping I can keep a handle on it. The airpot is actually a fish pond filter basket but it holds the soil and gives plenty of air from the bottom and sides.

BL #5 - I just planted this one in Jiffy mix in a solo cup 2 days ago and I'm waiting for it to sprout. I'm determined to leave this one alone in its solo cup until its roots are more established before transplanting. I ordered a real airpot and some fox farm soil which will be here before this one gets transplanted.

MYS #1 - I planted one of the mystery seeds in a Jiffy mix solo cup about 5 days ago. I'm still waiting for it to sprout. I may just use this plant as a learning experience since I have no idea what it will be.

Hopefully all this isn't too long winded but I wanted to get that out there for posterity. I'll get some pictures posted tomorrow.

Heres BL2 at about 2 months old. I'm only keeping it going for the experience. I figure it will die pretty soon.
IMG_20170429_114609.jpg

Heres BL3 at 1 month old. Again I'm just keeping this one for the experience.
IMG_20170429_114535.jpg

BL4 is only 9 days old and doing good. She has the third set of leaves starting and showing noticeable growth everyday. This is my best one yet.
IMG_20170429_114600.jpg

BL5 sprouted this morning. Only 4 days for this one to come up. The past couple seeds I've been soaking in a glass of water for about 6-12 hours and then planting in their pot.
IMG_20170430_063856.jpg

MYS1 my mystery seed hasn't some up though and it was planted 1 week ago.

I got a pretty cool time-lapse video of my seedlings first day. Is there a way to post it to the forum here?

Planting that low in the solo cup you shouldn't have to wait too long before transplant. Just make sure not to over water. It's really easy to do that Kellogg soil is your enemy.. when you get your fox farm add 20-30 percent perlite and transplant. Nice work!

Thanks for the tip about adding the Perlite to the foxfarm. I was going to ask about that but you beat me to it. I also have some bonemeal and bloodmeal but I don't want to mess with the ph. Any thoughts on adding those?
My FoxFarm came the other day along with an airpot so I'll be using that when BL5 is ready. I was also planning on adding more soil to the solo cup as it stretches. I understand more roots will grow from the stem if I add more soil to it correct?

Jaygull, good move to try outdoor first. Did you drill about 10 to 12 each 1/2 holes in the bottom of all buckets?? Is there a hole or 2

in the bottom of germ cups?? Don't put dishes under the buckets or the like to hold H2O that runs through, let it drain

through as you do not want water standing. If your buckets are above ground & outdoors in a hot environment and not where you can shade

them a little during the heat then there are other things you can do, just ask. Believe it or not, high temps. in the root zone

are not good for our friend Ms. Maryjane and growing outdoors in containers adds to this problem. Be tough, if you have plenty

of H2O & space try planting a couple every week or two for comparison & to replace any lost. Not only is it too cold in many places

in Jan. to plant, all other aspects of weather are against you. Day length sucks that time of year and this means that your soil

temps. are not optimal, too cold and other BS just isn't a good environment. Use bag seed from friends, remember you are

"learning", at this stage of your game even growing a male to maturity is quite an accomplishment. You can't have any more fun

than this.

Drainage is key. If it stretches there no reason you can't bury the stem more. If you give them enough light there shouldn't be much stretch to bury. Definitely let the little ones pick up some structure before transplanting into ocean forest if that's what you have. I use happy frog to establish my plants then mix ocean forest with happy frog 50/50 and add a generous amount of perlite.

Right now the seedling is on my windowsill so the light is rather diffused. Tomorrow it will be going outside under a rose bush to start getting some more direct sun light.
I'll be sure to add perlite to the foxfarms mix when ready. What do you all think about adding blood/bone meal to the mix?

There's no reason you couldn't add in some extra blood and bone will give you more for the long run. Put a cfl bulb over and them while they are inside. Give em 12-18hrs of light a day.

BL2 and BL3 haven't changed at all. This weekend I'm going to dig them up to check out their root structure.

BL4 is moving along nicely. Its 2 weeks old today. There is a little bit of browning on 1 or 2 leaves. I'm thinking calcium deficiency. I'm going to start adding some diluted nutes to see how it responds.

IMG_20170504_081046.jpg

IMG_20170504_081053.jpg

BL5 is moving slowly. Its 5 days old today. Seems its just working on roots right now. I checked the bottom of the soil and can see a little root down there. I'm hoping it starts to take off soon.

IMG_20170504_081100.jpg

Looking good! If you just transplanted those little things into fox farm you shouldn't be in any hurry to give them any nutes. Looking at your cotyledon leaves they look pretty green usually those will start to yellow off when they really need nutes. Feed them like 1/4 strength if you do decide to give em something. Be patient give em enough light and let em dry between waterings and your off to a great start.

Thanks for the tip about the nutes. I'll hold off for now. I'm planning on doing something pretty light. A mix of fish fert, worm casting, bloodmeal and bonemeal.

BL4 is still doing ok. Growth isn't going quite as fast as I thought and new growth seems to be a bit yellow. Could this be iron deficiency?
Its been cloudy the past few days so I don't think its been getting as much sun as I'd like..
IMG_20170508_082148.jpg

IMG_20170508_082141.jpg

BL5 is not growing. This is the same thing that happened to my first 3 seedling. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Germinating these bubblelicious seeds has been great but getting past the baby seedling stage has been such a challenge for me.
IMG_20170508_082131.jpg

MYS1, my mystery seed from the freebee pack never germinated. I've planted another freebee seed (calling it MYS2) to see if that one will sprout.

I don't see drainage holes in the side of a cups so I have to ask you have holes in the bottom? There was a time when I didn't have enough drainage holes (you could interpret this as zero) in Solo cups and that affected my early growth.

Back
Top Bottom