Cart Before The Horse: My First Outdoor Grow

not all seeds are created equal, sorta like us. some got it and some sorta kinda sometimes don't. don't matter, it's all good who are
we to judge

Yep, can't argue with that. My problem is I get OCD that I'm not doing something right and then obsess over what I need to change to make the next one better. Having patience is important with these plants.

I am going to sit in the corner and watch, How often are you watering these? All they need is damp soil, let the top dry up about 1", mist them daily with a sprayer, and when you water, water the outside of the pot, not the stem, this encourages the roots to seek moisture. A large root system is the key so give them plenty room. I have 2 in coco coir right now that are 10 days old today since they broke and they look like your BL4, but they are under a 18/6 LED so not really comparable.

Its been 35+ years since I did my last outdoor grow, but I always started them indoors in the spring, (mid-March) temps were 70+ degrees with all the sunshine they could get from the window, around May 1st when the ground temp was around 50 degrees and they were 6-10" tall they went outside in the ground with a waterwall around them in case of a late freeze (these also provided a greenhouse effect during the day sunshine)

I was up by the Canada border so conditions were quite different than California, but 6-8' trees in a 5-6 month cycle were the norm for me with 2-3 lb quality yields per plant.

Rushing this plant will only cause you headaches, don't over water, over feed, or try to rush the growth, all it needs is moisture, sunlight a little food and lots of love and it will pay you back!

Good luck!
OTM

How often are you watering these?
My current seedling I gave a little water when I added more soil but then no more for about a week. I just gave it a watering yesterday and today it started showing some decent growth... although it also got more sunshine than it has in the past few days.

mist them daily with a sprayer
You mean spray the plant itself? is that to help with humidity?

You mean spray the plant itself? is that to help with humidity?

If you are not under artificial light or better yet "High Intensity" light, giving them a mist with a spray bottle when the are young up to flower will not hurt, and even then have you ever noticed how green everything looks after a rain? They absorb water and any nutrients through the leaves as well as the roots.

Outdoors in the early AM before the heat of the full sun, mist them before you go to work with a light spray bottle with a light dose of nutrients appropriate to the size/age they are, the leaves are the external roots of the plant, they are as important as the root system but are often overlooked on outdoor grows.

Right now on my 10 day old indoor LED plants I am using a foliar spray of 2 ml of Skunk Labs Vital Boost per gal of RO water PH'ed to 5.7, I spray them once in the AM and once when I get home in the PM, they seem to love it, I have a light fan breeze to act like a random breeze, and my LED's are 24" above the canopy so the light is not intensive enough to turn the water beads into little drops of hot water.

My grow is 100% indoors now, but the same basic principals of any plant growth applies...don't drowned them, don't overfeed, and don't expect them to over-preform, push them as much as you can, but do it slow and steady and provide them the basics they:420: need...water & sunlight :rollit:

not all seeds are created equal, sorta like us. some got it and some sorta kinda sometimes don't. don't matter, it's all good who are
we to judge

Boy ain't that the truth...soaked 6 FEM seeds for 12 hrs, all cracked, 3 White Widow, 3 Purple Kush from CKS seeds, was planning a 4 site DYI RDWC grow...now I have a 4 site RDWC and 2 site Coco Coir grow at the same time and its my 1st grow since 1981, 1st in hydro and 1st in coco...I am relying on my basic 70's soil grows to guide me as far as getting them started, and reading a lot of journals here for the soil-less grows to make them produce, all I can say is in all my years of outdoor growing in the mid 70's to early 80's the genetics and methods sure have changed!!!

You took that as in insult? I dont think he was trying to insult

I'm taking the snowflake comment as a joke, although I'm not sure what to make of the "puppy dogs, Play-Doh and free pizza" comment.
I started this thread so I could track my progress, get help from this community and perhaps someone down the line might read this and avoid some mistakes I've made. I'm not trying to grow the biggest plants or compete with others. I'm just trying to learn the basics, be consistent, reduce mistakes and grow some healthy plants that will yield some buds. If you've come to help then I appreciate the time you take to respond and contribute. If you've come to troll or put others down when we're just learning what to do then please go elsewhere.

My current seedling I gave a little water when I added more soil but then no more for about a week. I just gave it a watering yesterday and today it started showing some decent growth... although it also got more sunshine than it has in the past few days.

Even if it is cloudy/overcast they still get benefits from the sun, just not as much as a clear day, are you checking the PH of your water?

Even if it is cloudy/overcast they still get benefits from the sun, just not as much as a clear day, are you checking the PH of your water?

I've checked it but not for every watering. Is that recommended? I was under the impression that growing in (potting) soil is not as sensitive as growing hydroponically regarding PH.

I've checked it but not for every watering. Is that recommended? I was under the impression that growing in (potting) soil is not as sensitive as growing hydroponically regarding PH.

Its not as sensitive, but its a good idea to know what your ppm's & ph is as a base when you start to give it food. My tap water out of the facet is 200-360 ppm and has a 9-10 ph it will fluctuate up and down especially the ppm's but the ph averages 9.5, too high for a good soil grow

I think 6.5-7 is the area for a good soil grow and a run off test every now and then will give you an idea of how your soil is reacting to what you are giving it. The 3 in 1 ph meters that you can buy to stick in your soil are ok, not as accurate as a pen, but the give you a idea of what is going on in the dirt.

I'm taking the snowflake comment as a joke, although I'm not sure what to make of the "puppy dogs, Play-Doh and free pizza" comment.
I started this thread so I could track my progress, get help from this community and perhaps someone down the line might read this and avoid some mistakes I've made. I'm not trying to grow the biggest plants or compete with others. I'm just trying to learn the basics, be consistent, reduce mistakes and grow some healthy plants that will yield some buds. If you've come to help then I appreciate the time you take to respond and contribute. If you've come to troll or put others down when we're just learning what to do then please go elsewhere.
didn't insult me, sorta a hobby of mine insulting snowflakes(except my wife most the time).

I have both the 3in1 soil tester and a PH pen. Is it possible to use a PH pen in soil? I was thinking it was only good for testing liquid.
The run-off testing is a good idea. I'll have to try that next time I water.

I have both the 3in1 soil tester and a PH pen. Is it possible to use a PH pen in soil? I was thinking it was only good for testing liquid.
The run-off testing is a good idea. I'll have to try that next time I water.

The pen will test the run-off it won't work in soil, and that will give you some idea how your soil is working for you. How do you plan on feeding it? if mixing it in your water a pen & TDS is a must, adjust your ph after you mixed in your nutes they can mess with the ph, If top feeding with powder your run-off will be your guide.

When you water, work from the outside of the pot to the plant with more water concentrated on the outer half, that will encourage the roots to grow to find it:morenutes:

Back
Top Bottom