Cart Before The Horse: My First Outdoor Grow

For feeding I've been anticipating going light with some fish fertilizer diluted in watering. Although I did find a local garden shop that carries fertilizers like big bloom, fox farm, etc. So I may try some of those.
Sounds like I should start checking the water more closely.

The PH is good to know, it helps when you start to notice problems appearing, I started nutes on my grow at 1 week above the rooters, I have 2 in coco coir and 4 in a hydro bubble tub so today I am on week 2, I bought the Skunk Labs nute system and it gives you a week by week schedule, I don't know if all the stuff they sell you is necessary and worth the $100 they get for it, but since this is my 1st grow in 35 years and not in soil and indoors, I figured I need all the help I could get.

The 2 plants in coco are the same size or maybe a little bigger compared to the pictures of your BL4 you posted back on the 8th, 2 in the tub are right behind the coco and the other 2 have been taking their time, but the have a lot of roots in the water, seems once the roots hit the water, they spend their time making roots and less on leaves and nodes. Yours are auto and mine are photo so that may explain some differences. So far I have had no issues of yellowing or tip burning so I will follow the nute schedule.

Your soil should have pretty much all the goodies you need for awhile till they get to big for the containers, but adding some goodies in with the water at low doses can't hurt, keep stepping it up a little every couple watering's and keep a close eye on how they react. Calcium, magnesium, nitrogen, and phosphorus are the big 4 that plants like and I think the liquid forms that you add to your water are probably the best as the make it all the way down.

Keep em green!
OTM

Let's see em again! Don't give them too much love at first let them roots find the water. Plants from seed just require a little patience. You cannot just start pumping them full of stuff it will just hurt you in the end cause your soil fills with salts and eventually you will get nutrient lockouts. Probably in flower which is really a terrible time for that to go on. Look into advanced nutrients sensi line which keeps your ph right for you.

More pics! Here's BL4 at its 3 week birthday. Growth this week hasn't been quite as fast as I'd like but weather has been a little more cloudy. Today is back to sunny and the 10 day forecast is looking good. Nights are in the 50's so I've been moving her inside at night. And she's officially a girl. Not sure if you can tell in the second picture but there are definitely some pistils showing.
IMG_20170511_080343.jpg

IMG_20170511_080351.jpg

BL5 leaves have grown a little more but still very slow. I transplanted her to a 2 gallon airpot with foxfarm soil. I'm hoping in the better soil she'll start to take off.
IMG_20170511_080521.jpg

More pics! Here's BL4 at its 3 week birthday. Growth this week hasn't been quite as fast as I'd like but weather has been a little more cloudy. Today is back to sunny and the 10 day forecast is looking good. Nights are in the 50's so I've been moving her inside at night. And she's officially a girl. Not sure if you can tell in the second picture but there are definitely some pistils showing.
IMG_20170511_080343.jpg

IMG_20170511_080351.jpg

BL5 leaves have grown a little more but still very slow. I transplanted her to a 2 gallon airpot with foxfarm soil. I'm hoping in the better soil she'll start to take off.
IMG_20170511_080521.jpg

Shes looking real lime and pushing towards white on new growth.

I'm new but from my experience I've been thinking is mag def.

Happens especially in cold root Zone

In calcium rich root zone

In low ph root zone.

Maybe something to check

What do u think?

Shes looking real lime and pushing towards white on new growth.

I'm new but from my experience I've been thinking is mag def.

Happens especially in cold root Zone

In calcium rich root zone

In low ph root zone.

Maybe something to check

What do u think?

New growth definitely isn't white but has been somewhat lime/light green. Getting her more sunshine has helped out. Part of it may be she's in direct sunlight which lightens up the picture. Also yesterday was really cloudy so she's probably a little light deprived this morning when the pic was taken. She should get a good 12 hours of direct sunshine today.

I wanted to see what you guys thought about transplanting BL4 (my "big" plant). The current soil its in is made up of a lot of peet so I'm worried about the quality as she gets bigger. I'm thinking I'd move her to a 5 gallon fabric airpot with FFOF and perlite mix.
Considering she's a three week old auto I'm guessing there's about 7 weeks left until harvest.
What do you think?

Peets not bad just a little acidic but if you have it mixed with vermiculite which is around 6.5 ph or whatever you mix it in should be fine as long as your ph is kept good. I usually put a little bit of garden lime in (I use 2tbs average to 1 gallon soil) to buffer it closer to 6.2-6.5ph. Plus when garden lime breaks down its a good source of magnesium. Its actually 2:1 ratio of mag/cal so if you go that route dont overdue it or you could cause lock out

They look pretty good Jay, I would slowly water BL5, its making roots and once they find the sweet spot it will also take off, you may find that the FF soil will help, does it advise you on how to prep the water you give it?
As far as potting up BL4, give BL5 a week in her new home with the FF soil and see how she reacts, the stage BL4 is in shouldn't hurt it, the worst it would do is delay your harvest a week or so.

They look pretty good Jay, I would slowly water BL5, its making roots and once they find the sweet spot it will also take off, you may find that the FF soil will help, does it advise you on how to prep the water you give it?
As far as potting up BL4, give BL5 a week in her new home with the FF soil and see how she reacts, the stage BL4 is in shouldn't hurt it, the worst it would do is delay your harvest a week or so.
Nothing on the ffof package about prepping the water. I'll start with tap and add some light fish fertilizer and see how the pH comes out.

What is the ph of your soil?do u know

I tested the ffof soil in BL5's pot with the 3in1 tester and it showed 7 or maybe slightly under. BL4 pot seems to dry to test right now. I'll try again the next time I water it... probably tomorrow morning.
I don't really trust the 3in1 tester. I saw my garden store has chemical soil testers. Are those more accurate/reliable?

So here's an interesting thing that's been happening. This started a few days ago. One evening I come home and check on BL4. Her leaves were all droopy which made me so excited because my usual problem is overwatering. Now I thought "finally its drooping because the soil is dry and needs water". So I give her some water. From videos and posts that I've read it usually perks up after watering about 20-30 minutes later... but 2 hours later she's still all droopy. I leave her overnight and in the morning she's perked back up to her usual happy self. The next night the same thing happens. All droopy so I give her some water but she still doesn't perk back up till morning. I did some googling and found this nighttime droopiness can be the plant "sleeping". Some people say its normal, some say its due to a root issue.
Last night the same thing happened. This time I didn't give her any water and low and behold she's perked up in the morning. One thing that makes me think its more of a "sleeping" trend rather than a root problem... she doesn't do this on cloudy days when she hasn't gotten much sun.

During her droop. I just carried her inside since its getting in the 50's at night. She was already like this outside before moving her.
IMG_20170511_213814.jpg

First thing this morning. Perked back up ready for some more sun.
IMG_20170512_072031.jpg

Back
Top Bottom