CBMedzNewb's CBDream Grow Journal - Soil - CFL - 2016

Week 2 Flower Update

Hello again 420 peoples. Here is a quick update for week 2 of flowering end. Haven't noticed much stretching so far so went ahead and defoliated using the following method:

How To Defoliate Your Plants For Fat Buds & Bigger Yields - YouTube

The plants responded well to being stripped. Only a brief noticeable shock that lasted about and hour or two. They rebounded almost right away and kept on keeping on.

Here is a look at progress for week 2 flower.

2viewall.jpg

2view.jpg

2viewone.jpg

Coming along nicely so far. Per Crop King, only 6 weeks to go.

As always, short and sweet -- See you next week.

Hey man, nice work over there! Excellent stripping on the gals. I have been waiting to do some defoliation myself, likely Thursday since I know I have the day off already. These CB Dreams look like a great choice for when I grow some photos again, along with the Green Crack. You've come a long way with these girls and have done a great job, keep it up my friend :)

Hey man, nice work over there! Excellent stripping on the gals. I have been waiting to do some defoliation myself, likely Thursday since I know I have the day off already. These CB Dreams look like a great choice for when I grow some photos again, along with the Green Crack. You've come a long way with these girls and have done a great job, keep it up my friend :)

Thank you Sir! Was torn on the defoliating since it is so widely debated, but it seemed to make sense to me that it would be beneficial. Probably could have waited another week, but they were so damn bushy I wanted to get on with it. Hopefully all goes well with yours as well. Any yep, CB Dream is a great choice if you are looking for something nice and low maintenance. That has been my experience anyhow. Cheers!

Flowering Update - Week 3 End

Time for another weekly flowering update. Week 3 has come to a close for these CB Dream plants, and they continue to exceed my expectations.

Only major development since last update is nutrient surplus. It has become increasingly obvious that these plants have been pushed right to the brink of overdose on nutrients, but have not yet fallen off the cliff so to speak. Leaves are a little too dark for my comfort and are clawing, though no signs of actual nutrient toxicity as of yet. Time to discontinue nutrients for the foreseeable future, and possibly the remainder of the grow.

I have also begun playing a daily regimen of binaural tones for the plants. I cannot say for sure if it has had a positive affect, however I can confirm that there has been no negative affects as a result, so why not?

Here is this weeks progress:

20160516_070808.jpg
20160516_070637.jpg
20160516_064820.jpg
20160516_064856.jpg
20160516_065609.jpg
20160516_060746.jpg

See ya next week with some more flower magic.

I have also begun playing a daily regimen of binaural tones for the plants. I cannot say for sure if it has had a positive affect, however I can confirm that there has been no negative affects as a result, so why not?.

So you are playing vibrational sound waves in your grow room. Is it an annoying sound? Or like white noise like sound... Very interesting, I've heard of sound waves used to help pollinate tomatoes in s greenhouse... Something to read up on.

KiG :green_heart:cheers

So you are playing vibrational sound waves in your grow room. Is it an annoying sound? Or like white noise like sound... Very interesting, I've heard of sound waves used to help pollinate tomatoes in s greenhouse... Something to read up on.

KiG :green_heart:cheers

No I wouldn't call it annoying. I am pretty indifferent to the sounds myself, but my wife really seems to enjoy them. She says she finds it very calming and relaxing. I find it to be mostly white noise as you mentioned-- eventually you barely notice it. If you search Binaural tones and sleep meditation on YouTube you will find tons of them. Here is an example of the ones I have been playing.

Flowering Update - Week 4 End

Just another quick weekly update-- week 4 of flower has just come to an end for these plants.

I'm going to be focusing on my main plant (the big one). They are all the same in that the bud production is identical, but on a smaller scale for the smaller plants of course. I now know why I ended up with one really big plant and two smaller ones, but I am not going to get into that at this time as it is not the focus of this update.

The progress I have witnessed thus far has turned me into a true believer in the benefits of defoliation, so I have gone all in. I have virtually completed stripped my plants of all fan leaves yet again. My only concern (and a big concern it is) is that I am using feminized seeds, and from what I have read feminized plants have a tendency to hermie. I couldn't help myself though. The risk:reward seemed worth it. Yep, I did all 3 plants like this. All in indeed.

See for yourself-- hardcore defoliation and week 4 progress.

20160523_070658.jpg
20160523_061756.jpg
20160523_071046.jpg

You may notice that trichome production isn't all that great so far. I am chalking this up to the very low THC rating of 6% per Crop King Seeds. Bare in mind however that the CBD value is rated at a ridiculously high 6%. Should be great for medicinal value.

That's all I have this week. Until week 5...

Nice work CBMedz, this big gal is looking great. I am also a fan of stripping off all those fan leaves, I had to do a 2nd defol on my plants today which I wasn't planning to do but the leaves just kept growing! I haven't noticed very much stress showing out of my girls after I clip them, only some droopy leaves on the 1 plant. Your's still looks great after stripping her down, I don't imagine you will have to worry to much about a hermie. Just always be sure to check the buds for bananas :) Keep up the good work, will be looking forward to the next update. Take care!

Nice work CBMedz, this big gal is looking great. I am also a fan of stripping off all those fan leaves, I had to do a 2nd defol on my plants today which I wasn't planning to do but the leaves just kept growing! I haven't noticed very much stress showing out of my girls after I clip them, only some droopy leaves on the 1 plant. Your's still looks great after stripping her down, I don't imagine you will have to worry to much about a hermie. Just always be sure to check the buds for bananas :) Keep up the good work, will be looking forward to the next update. Take care!

Thanks again Dick, and yep, you better believe the first thing I'm looking for is naner naners trying to sabotage the whole operation. So far so good! They do seem to take the trimming like champs though, and as you said they start growing new foliage straight away. To summarize a theory I read, the plant will decide it needs to grow new leaves (or grow out existing leaves) for photosynthesis, and since the path of least resistance is where the only leaves are at the bud sites, the signals for new growth indirectly affects bud growth as well. Read that somewhere and it seems very plausible.

Thanks again Dick, and yep, you better believe the first thing I'm looking for is naner naners trying to sabotage the whole operation. So far so good! They do seem to take the trimming like champs though, and as you said they start growing new foliage straight away. To summarize a theory I read, the plant will decide it needs to grow new leaves (or grow out existing leaves) for photosynthesis, and since the path of least resistance is where the only leaves are at the bud sites, the signals for new growth indirectly affects bud growth as well. Read that somewhere and it seems very plausible.

Sounds like a good theory to me. I am not working today and it's raining so it may be a good research day for me. :nomo: It makes sense though, if those bigger leaves aren't there to be using up or storing energy then all of said energy should be going to the smaller leaves on the buds, as well as into the the buds themselves. I know that the bigger leaves are used to bring in energy from the light and also store it along with nutrients but why not try to get the smaller leave and buds doing the same thing.. I may just be rambling on but my brain is working faster than my fingers can function right now :tokin: I am thinking I will have to do a side by side experiment on my next grow to see the differences between just trimming the largest fan leaves and doing the 2 total defoliations like we both did.

I think I may also have to research this whole binary tones thing that you and Snidrajsed have been talking about.. Will see what sort of things I can soak up today since I have nothing to do in the gardens.

Sounds like a good theory to me. I am not working today and it's raining so it may be a good research day for me. :nomo: It makes sense though, if those bigger leaves aren't there to be using up or storing energy then all of said energy should be going to the smaller leaves on the buds, as well as into the the buds themselves. I know that the bigger leaves are used to bring in energy from the light and also store it along with nutrients but why not try to get the smaller leave and buds doing the same thing.. I may just be rambling on but my brain is working faster than my fingers can function right now :tokin: I am thinking I will have to do a side by side experiment on my next grow to see the differences between just trimming the largest fan leaves and doing the 2 total defoliations like we both did.

I think I may also have to research this whole binary tones thing that you and Snidrajsed have been talking about.. Will see what sort of things I can soak up today since I have nothing to do in the gardens.

A side by side would be really interesting. Though you can never really be sure of the results because it's easy enough to argue that each seed will perform different. I think it would be worth a try though. Sounds like something I would try if you don't get around to it first.

My next grow won't be until August sometime when I get back home so you may end up beating me to it :) I would love to do all sort of side by side experiments for my own personal learning but I am limited to 4 plants in my grow space for now unless I go with something like a 2 liter container. Maybe some day soon I will build a small room downstairs after it's all cleaned out this summer and it will be my dedicated garden space!

Flowering Update - Week 5 End

Week number 5 of flower has come to a close and so it's time for another quick update. Not a whole lot to report today. Smooth sailing in week 5. Buds are growing at a consistent rate, but nothing crazy just yet. I really have high hopes that they will become enraged at the lack of pollination and swell up nice and plump in their last few weeks of flower.

420 scope ordered and on the way. I have also ordered a light meter strictly to satisfy my own curiosity, and it couldn't hurt to have for future grows either.

So here they are @ week 5 end:

20160530_083335.jpg
20160530_083648_Richtone_HDR_.jpg
20160530_083639_Richtone_HDR_.jpg
20160530_083826_Richtone_HDR_.jpg

Looking forward to week 6 results.. best weeks yet to come!

Looking great so far man :) I am really interested to get a smoke report from you out of these girls once they are finished! Would like to know how good the high cbd content is vs the low thc.

Flowering Update - Week 5.5

Just received my 420 scope as well as my light meter today so I thought it would be appropriate to do an extra update this week. All is well in happy town so far this week. Flower development has sped up some and buds are starting to swell nicely.

Trichome check revealed about 50/50 clear to milky ratio. I would hazard a guess of 2-3 weeks out on harvest but who really knows. I'm happy to let these babies fill out as long as they please.

Here are my light measurements for 12x 42 watt cfls along side 4x 32 watt supplemental t8 flouros (mainly to help out a couple other plants in my grow room that wont fit under my cfls).

Upper canopy 25k lux avg
Mid level (below main tops) 15k lux avg
Ground (soil) level 5k lux avg

I'm making the grade at upper canopy, but the light does diminish very fast at distance, so lower growth won't be as amazing as it could be. This is the first time I have messed around with light measurements, so I'm not sure if this is typical across other forms of lighting. I can say with certainty that when it comes to cfls, you need to have plants as close to the light as possible. Within 2-6 inches from the light would be optimal to get the most bang for your buck.

That's it that's all. Will be back to update week 6 end. I leave you with a photo.

20160604_035805.jpg

Starting to look fat over there CBMedz! Good to hear you got your 420 scope, will help out a ton for knowing when to harvest these babies. I had to borrow my friends a couple times to check myself, my new one should be here in the mail tomorrow :)

I can't remember what the differences are in light intensity between the different levels of the grow space but the light does diminish quite drastically as well the lower into the plants canopy it goes, as well as to the outside edges even with HID bulbs. I would think that the best thing to do would be to add supplemental light under and beside the plants such as some led strips or some lower wattage cfl's or flouro's.

Keep up the good work. Will be looking forward to the next update!

Flowering Update - 6 Weeks + 1 Day

All is well, not much news, so this will be more of a show rather than tell update. They are looking lovely and smelling downright fruity--loving the smell of these CB Dream flowers. Getting a bit heavy, especially when watered, and it's hard to keep the main tops exactly where I'd like them (in those 35-40k lux hot pockets) so I may go ahead and stake them.

Here's the latest look:

20160607_033836.jpg
20160607_032846.jpg
20160607_032537.jpg
20160607_033102.jpg
20160607_034526.jpg

Very excited now. 2 more weeks to go give or take. Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom