Coco Scrog - Multiple Strains

Thank you very much for that info Stoned. That was just what I was looking for. I must have missed that from DocBud.

I think what I may do is use a couple 2 gallon and a couple 3 gallon and see what works best. Another reason I was thinking the 2 gallon is because I start them in 6" pots and by the time they are root bound in those (just about anyways), they are a good size for 2 gallon but still a little small for 3 gallon. Might keep them in better health for that transition period.

I have also been considering snipping branches to try and make single cola plants. If I use the 2 gallon ones, I can fit more in my space. A single cola plant that can't go any taller than 36" most likely won't need the 3 gallon size.

Thank you very much for that info Stoned. That was just what I was looking for. I must have missed that from DocBud.

I think what I may do is use a couple 2 gallon and a couple 3 gallon and see what works best. Another reason I was thinking the 2 gallon is because I start them in 6" pots and by the time they are root bound in those (just about anyways), they are a good size for 2 gallon but still a little small for 3 gallon. Might keep them in better health for that transition period.

I have also been considering snipping branches to try and make single cola plants. If I use the 2 gallon ones, I can fit more in my space. A single cola plant that can't go any taller than 36" most likely won't need the 3 gallon size.

No problem ! It is actually in his other journal "Grass Roots Hi Brix" which is pretty much a hi brix discussion thread. If you are interested and want to learn more about hi brix I would highly suggest checking out that thread!

Sounds like a plan, no better way to see what works best then experimenting :high-five:

If you want to do a single cola grow like a SOG then you can get away with much smaller containers. To get a single cola you need to keep Veg times down and trim lower growth that reaches up away from the main stem. You can flower clones right away or Veg for 1-2 weeks to increase yield. 420fied's 2L SOG is an awesome example of what you "could" do. I can't remember off the top of my head how long he Veg's but it isn't longer then 1-2 weeks. He uses 2 Liter bottles and averages over a 1/2 Oz per plant, some of them even got to 36". Doesn't sound like a lot but a 2L bottles footprint is only 5.5" so you can pack a shit load in there! Plus there is barely any downtime in between harvests and there is no popcorn bud. You could also do a larger SOG like VapeDogg's, he is using 1.8 Gal airpots I believe.

I would love to try a SOG but where I'm located you are only permitted to have 12 plants

woohooo for Tahoe touching the screen! I'm excited to see this come out!

You can say that again! That is exactly how I feel :high-five: The SLH is showing a lot of pistils and already has trichs appearing, I hope it doesn't prematurely flower like the LA Con. If it does flower I will let it go just like the LA con, at least it would actually yield a little. I have a Paradise Delahaze & TH Seeds MKAGE germing right now. I figured I needed something to replace the flowering LA con and possibly the SLH.

But boy does that SLH smell Amazing!!!!!! :yahoo:

Update: 6/7/12

The sun wasn't very bright today unfortunately so it was kind of hard to take pictures. I tried my best and will try to update on a sunny day next time.

The SLH isn't growing much vertically so I'm hoping she is not starting to flower, I have some up close pics and it looks as if she is starting to flower.

The Tahoe OG has two leaves poking through the screen, I should start training within the next 2-3 days.

The Critical mass and Snow White have shown a little growth the past three days but nothing significant. If they don't pick up within the next week they are getting tossed.

On to the pics

Where they currently sit under the screen (SLH on left, Tahoe on right)

2012-06-07_14_30_27.jpg

Tahoe OG

2012-06-07_14_30_52.jpg
2012-06-07_14_31_08.jpg

2012-06-07_14_32_34.jpg

I pulled them out from under the screen to snap some photos under better lighting! (Tahoe on left, SLH on right)

2012-06-07_14_32_24.jpg

SLH (This plant smells amazing, it is like a Pine Sol Lemony Fuel scent if that makes any sense)

2012-06-07_14_32_53.jpg
2012-06-07_14_32_43.jpg
2012-06-07_14_35_27.jpg

LA Confidential (Has a musky bubba kush/master smell)

2012-06-07_14_40_58.jpg
2012-06-07_14_45_38.jpg
2012-06-07_14_43_20.jpg
2012-06-07_14_46_13.jpg

:peace:

I thought I responded the other day but I suppose it must not have gone through....

Thanks for the name of that, I am definitely going to check it out, it sounds interesting (and very informative)

I am also only allowed 12 plants, so no SOG for me either (unless I acquire a couple patients... 40 2L in my 3X3 closet....Hmmmmmm).

I wanted to do single cola plants in fill in the empty spaces in my room. I have 5 plants now and I could definitely find places for 7 2L that just have a single cola sticking up. Plus that would allow me more variety.... I really need to find at least one patient so that I can flower my 12 and have 12 clones/starters/mothers going at the same time.

They all look amazing but that Tahoe is for sure my favorite!!:bravo:

I tried straight coco last grow for the wick system and it didn't work. At the time I also tried using the pro-mix for water retention and that worked well but I still had a lot of compaction. This time I tried switching to worm castings and have just recently found out that doesn't work. I was thinking about trying some sphagnum moss next time to see if that may work. I will add hummus into the trial if I can.

Looking good in here! Re: soil additives for water retention, I was talking about vermiculite, but hummus would be better

You are correct humus would be great! It is one of the four bases of hi brix as well! I don't really use amendments for the purpose of water retention because I try to aim for high porosity soils for faster growth but humus and worm castings have many benefits. I'm going to try to head in the hi brix direction next grow because I'm loving the results others are getting.

I thought I responded the other day but I suppose it must not have gone through....

Thanks for the name of that, I am definitely going to check it out, it sounds interesting (and very informative)

I am also only allowed 12 plants, so no SOG for me either (unless I acquire a couple patients... 40 2L in my 3X3 closet....Hmmmmmm).

I wanted to do single cola plants in fill in the empty spaces in my room. I have 5 plants now and I could definitely find places for 7 2L that just have a single cola sticking up. Plus that would allow me more variety.... I really need to find at least one patient so that I can flower my 12 and have 12 clones/starters/mothers going at the same time.

They all look amazing but that Tahoe is for sure my favorite!!:bravo:

Variety is the best :high-five:

I feel like I build up a strain tolerance If I smoke the same strain for over two weeks straight. I would love to have some patients as well, looks like I need to start asking some buddies If I can be their caregiver!

I tried straight coco last grow for the wick system and it didn't work. At the time I also tried using the pro-mix for water retention and that worked well but I still had a lot of compaction. This time I tried switching to worm castings and have just recently found out that doesn't work. I was thinking about trying some sphagnum moss next time to see if that may work. I will add hummus into the trial if I can.

That is odd since coco is known for it's wicking capabilities. Were you having problems with it wicking water or retaining it? Have you thought of trying rockwool?

You could use rockwool by itself or buy the chunks to mix in. It wicks like a sponge and retains water very well. They make 8" blocks that you can grow a full size plant (3-5') in and would be very easy to insert the rope at the bottom of the block.

Why couldn't you place them in a large tray and feed the solution directly in the tray? Like an old style manual flood to drain. I followed a grow where someone used smart pots in a tray and just dumped the solution into the tray instead of watering individual plants. Then you could upgrade later on with a submersible pump + timer and your feedings would be completely automated.

Promix is made from sphagnum peat moss so I'm not sure if you will see much difference.

Heres a few things that will really help with water retention.
- Rockwool
- Coco (chips hold water better)
- humus
- Worm Castings
- Vermiculite
- Miracle gro water retention crystals

Awesome!!! Thank you for that..

I had wicking issues. I would pre-moisten my ropes and in the 2 that were pure coco the rope would just dry out.

I remember reading in that journal to, but I was not subscribed to it and I have a very bad memory. So it is now lost to me.
I was thinking about doing that, since I am going to use the aurora pots next go round if I do use the wick it will probably be that way. Just set them in the tray and water the tray every so often.

Awesome!!! Thank you for that..

I had wicking issues. I would pre-moisten my ropes and in the 2 that were pure coco the rope would just dry out.

I remember reading in that journal to, but I was not subscribed to it and I have a very bad memory. So it is now lost to me.
I was thinking about doing that, since I am going to use the aurora pots next go round if I do use the wick it will probably be that way. Just set them in the tray and water the tray every so often.

Don't worry about it I'm sure mine is almost as bad :rofl:

It was SteveHman's 7.0 journal, he was using 2 gallons aurora root pots in 2'x3' concrete mixing tubs. Just let me know if you'd like me to post the link. Here is a post that I quoted from his journal

I was able to test out my theory on watering using the flood-and-wick method. I mixed up a 5 gal batch of nutes and poured half into the center of each tub. I expected to need to use my mini wetvac to remove any excess. After 15 minutes the bottom of each tub was dry. It seems the smart pots and coco really soak up the nutes very well. When I feed again on Friday I will take a before and after shot. I may even try giving them more next time to see how much is "too much".

great guide, thanks for posting that, ill be writing some of that down, its all worth knowing

No problem Don, if I can manage to find it I'll post a list I saved somewhere that lists all the organic amendments and their benefits.

Your girls are looking good. I wish I could suplement with some natural light. Maybe someday. Reps man.

Thanks Mr. white your setup is looking killer, can't to see some buds start forming. It's funny you say that because I'm dying to try out hydro. Whats up with humans wanting what they don't have ? Lol maybe we can trade for a grow? :laughtwo:

Nice set up bro!:bravo: Love the idea, its in the same ball park as my greenhouse. This type of set up is super versatile and easy to do. More should take advantage, great for hiding from the pesky neighbours. +reps:thumb:

How did this grow turn out?

We would love to be updated with some pictures and info! :blushsmile:

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read the photo gallery tutorial:
Photo Gallery Guide - How to Resize, Upload & Post Photos

I am moving this to Abandoned Journals until we get updates.

Thanks and hope all is well in your world.

Love and respect from all of us here at 420 Magazine.

Back
Top Bottom