Come SOG With Me: 112 Plants, 2 Liter, Hempy SOG

@420fied your journal is awesome I learned a wealth of information! I'm curious when using a 2-Liter could you substitute the perlite/verm mix and use hydrotron instead and achieve similar results? can you reuse the hempy mix? do you make a new mix for every new clone? do you think hydrotron is better used for a flood table sog like this.. day 1 of flowering with zero veg - 420 Magazine Photo Gallery
I like the idea of a flood table but the hempy buckets seem like a safe bet since if something goes wrong only 1 plant is affected opposed to entire flood table getting some type of situation like root rot or a pump going out, ph swings, etc.

Thank you for the kind words. You could substitute hydroton but I would advise using the Perm/Verm mix for this reason: The hydroton won't wick up and retain the nutes from the small res at the bottom like the Vermiculite will. You'll have a stronger root mass with the Perm/Verm mix because of Vermiculite's ability to wick up and distribute the nutes throughout.....which will produce healthier, heartier, plants. I have a big bag of hydroton in my closet. It's been there for 3 years. Leave hydroton to the flood tables.

Yes, you can reuse the Perm/Verm mix. I detail exactly how I do it (with pictures) starting on page 65 of my Blue Planet Hempy journal. Here's the link:

2 Liter Hempy SOG

Yes, you can reuse the Perm/Verm mix. I detail exactly how I do it (with pictures) starting on page 65 of my Blue Planet Hempy journal.

That's pretty rad. Sorry if I missed it in there but how many runs would you say you get out of it? Do you eventually throw it away?

I've never grown hempy before but I'm considering it because it sounds really cost effective and much easier to deal with than soil. I can't have tons of little ones though so I'd have to go big. Do you think 5 gallon hempy 4 per 1000w would work?

@420fied excellent! thanks for quick response I appreciate the info, now I'm curious since I've never used a perlite/verm mix do you measure out specific amounts? I notice you said the mix is 75% perlite and 25% vermiculite; does that mean the top 75% of the 2L is all perlite while the bottom 25% of 2L which acts as the res is just verm? or do you just take like a handfull of verm and a couple hand fulls of perlite and mix it all together in a 2L?

That's pretty rad. Sorry if I missed it in there but how many runs would you say you get out of it? Do you eventually throw it away?

I've never grown hempy before but I'm considering it because it sounds really cost effective and much easier to deal with than soil. I can't have tons of little ones though so I'd have to go big. Do you think 5 gallon hempy 4 per 1000w would work?

You can get several runs out of it. You never really have to pitch the perlite but the Verm will flush out so you'll have to add more as you go. You can run (4) 5 gallon plans under a 1000 watter but the canopy will get cramped if you veg them for a long time.

@420fied excellent! thanks for quick response I appreciate the info, now I'm curious since I've never used a perlite/verm mix do you measure out specific amounts? I notice you said the mix is 75% perlite and 25% vermiculite; does that mean the top 75% of the 2L is all perlite while the bottom 25% of 2L which acts as the res is just verm? or do you just take like a handfull of verm and a couple hand fulls of perlite and mix it all together in a 2L?

The 75/25 mix is mixed in a trash can. I just mix it together and then scoop it into the 2 Liters. So to answer your question,,,,, it's basically taking 2 hanfulls of Perm and a handfull of Verm and mixing it in a 2L.

It's much easier and cleaner to work with than soil.

May all your nugs be dense my friend.

@420fied thanks again! I was reading your Blue Planet Nutrients forum and noticed the pictures you posted on page 27 2 Liter Hempy SOG I see now its all mixed together. Now when you feed you said you on post #24 page 2..

"Right now I'm following the GH 3 part chart and adding 2.5 ML of all 3 parts per gallon of water.

Each plant takes approx 8 ounces of water before runoff begins to seep out of the holes.

I simply mix a gallon full of nutes then transfer it to my 24 ounce bottle which holds enough feed 3 plants, and then feed them by hand."

I also read a post that said you "feed, skip, feed, skip, feed, skip, water only."

does that mean for the first week you take a gallon of plain tap water, add 2.5ML of each nute, mix together, PH balance your nute/water mix, then give each plant 8oz a day or do you give each plant 16oz monday, skip tuesday, 16oz each wednesday, skip thursday, 16 more oz each friday, skip saturday then 16oz fresh water sunday?

obviously as the weeks go further like week 2, 3, 4, you up the dosage from say 500ppm week 1, 700ppm week 2 etc? also when you begin the perpetual you said something about your lights being above the smallest 24" and the largest about 16" from top of canopy, does this work without having the have any of the plants raised up? can they all be on the floor in your catch tubs without having issue with lighting?

@420fied thanks again! I was reading your Blue Planet Nutrients forum and noticed the pictures you posted on page 27 2 Liter Hempy SOG I see now its all mixed together. Now when you feed you said you on post #24 page 2..

"Right now I'm following the GH 3 part chart and adding 2.5 ML of all 3 parts per gallon of water.

Each plant takes approx 8 ounces of water before runoff begins to seep out of the holes.

I simply mix a gallon full of nutes then transfer it to my 24 ounce bottle which holds enough feed 3 plants, and then feed them by hand."

I also read a post that said you "feed, skip, feed, skip, feed, skip, water only."

does that mean for the first week you take a gallon of plain tap water, add 2.5ML of each nute, mix together, PH balance your nute/water mix, then give each plant 8oz a day or do you give each plant 16oz monday, skip tuesday, 16oz each wednesday, skip thursday, 16 more oz each friday, skip saturday then 16oz fresh water sunday?

obviously as the weeks go further like week 2, 3, 4, you up the dosage from say 500ppm week 1, 700ppm week 2 etc? also when you begin the perpetual you said something about your lights being above the smallest 24" and the largest about 16" from top of canopy, does this work without having the have any of the plants raised up? can they all be on the floor in your catch tubs without having issue with lighting?

I'll try and give a little insight as to how I feed and why.

When they are first transplanted to the 2 Liters, I feed them every day for the first 10-14 days. It is my contention that in this early, fragile state that daily feedings establish the root base and get them started. Once they're two weeks in, I go to more of a feed, skip, feed, skip, schedule. The main reason is simply because it isn't necessary to feed every day. Let that little res at the bottom help you. This will save a boatload of nutrients in the long run. I have made runs where I fed them every single day and compared them to runs I made where I fed, skipped, fed, skipped, and the yield was virtually identical. It also saves on labor as I feed everything by hand.

As far as the mix itself. My city water is fantastic. It runs out of the spigot at 6.5 PH and 60PPM. I simply fill my gallon jug with about two inches of water, then I add my nutes and fill the rest of the way. Never pour the nutes into your gallon jug before there's some water in it. If you do bad shit happens. I list how I ramp up my feedings several times throughout my journals. Basically, it goes from 400(week1) to 700(weeks 2-4) to 900(week 5-6) to 1100 PPM(weeks 6-10).

As far as my perpetual situation with regards to lighting. I have my lights on movers now and I keep the bulb about 12 inches above the tops of the oldest plants. I place the babies on the same table which means that when they are babies, the light is approx 24" above them but they still fill in nicely. I understand your concern but I don't see any crazy stretching due to the lights being too far off the babies. The reason is because they grow so fast in these little Hempy pots, that within 2 weeks of being potted, the plants are 12-16 inches tall and almost as tall as the oldest.

I hope I made sense.

@420fied when you put holes into your 2L they're 2 1/4 from bottom, but how many holes 3? 5? whats diameter of hole like a pencil?

I usually poke 2 holes but you can drill 1 , 3, or 5. It'll all work the same. I drill 1/8" holes. I recommend keeping your holes small. If you go bigger your medium, especially the vermiculite, will end up in your catch tubs.

@420fied nice thanks for the specific details, I'm starting a new strain I've never used before (barneys farm blue cheese) I am excited to learn how she grows especially in hempy 2L. Btw I already have flat earth brown spray paint should I use that stuff or get a can of flat black?

@420fied excellent one less thing I need to buy! :D also my city water is 150ppm and 7.2ph ..this run I am going to be using GH 3 part since I got a cheap price for the trio, (going to try BPN for my next run, after reading your BPN SOG :D) what would you recommend as far as feeding should I just duplicate your method and see how it affects my plants? (2.5ML micro, bloom, grow) 8oz daily, 16 babies, first 2 weeks, feed, feed, feed, feed, feed, feed, water only, then weeks 2-4 go up to 5ML micro, bloom, grow, - feed, skip, feed, skip, feed, skip, water only? don't mean to keep re-posting information that's already available on this thread, I was searching through the forum I know you posted your GH feeding schedule somewhere..I'll keep looking!

You can follow the chart that comes with the nutes or you can use mine but you should watch your plants and let them tell you what they're needing. Every strain reacts a bit differently.

If you read the entire journal all of this info is in there about 10 times. ;)

I've had my first run with this style grow and while I made a ton of mistakes it works well. I think I'm still way too novice at growing in general to benefit from the added yield potential, but I'm sure I'll get there. I was also experimenting with a "tuned" t5 setup and my first trial grow with T5's in flower, so that may have something to do with it too. Run 2 is starting. Will be switching out the T5's for some LED's(360w total true draw in a 2x4x5 ft tent).. BTW I got an average of about a 1/4 oz off each plant on that first run, but I nuked them with nutes and there was other issues I goofed up on. Hoping to avoid all that this time. I've also got some smaller pots in there with Sunshine #4 soiless to compare to the hempis.

Thx for all your info 420fed, you've inspired many of us.

@420fied I've read that people wash off hydrotron before using it to remove some of the dust and particles, I'm curious does a new bag of perlite or vermiculite need to be rinsed out before being put to use?

@420fied Cool thanks again, I'm an old school noob haha so a lot of this is new to me, I was looking at Xare's journal on RIU, I can see where you got your inspiration, but I like the idea of using mother's opposed to taking clones from clones, do you use soil for your mothers?

Back
Top Bottom