Curing Question for members that use Mason Jars

trichomes

My curing jars are all full. The only jars that become pressurized enough to make an audible "burp", are the jars I warmed before filling. All my research revealed NOBODY warming the jars first, but lots of burping mentioned. Why does a jar burp? When doing this the right way, is the burp from positve/pressure? or negative/vacuum/suction? I thought I could some input from my "friends" that always seem to help-out!

Thanks in advance. :thanks:

You don't want "warmth", higher temperatures within the jar will make for a humid and moist environment. The vapor pressure associated with the water vapor that is constantly escaping (or redissolving) back into the buds can be vented, or burped accordingly. If there is an audible sound of vapor pressure being released, I will typically remove all of the nugs and let them dry out a tad bit more. If it burps, I know there is a bit too much moisture in the air within the jar, to the point where if let gone unchecked, forms the perfect hospitable environment for fungal growth. You want to keep the buds curing in a cool, dark, and dry location. The cooler temperature will keep the buds stable and there will be less vapor pressure that could released into the air of the jar, the surrounding water moist air within the jar can be a perfect thing to promote mold. Be diligent! I've seen mold growing on buds after letting them sit untouched for 1-2 weeks, since the spores from the grow can still be on the nugs, all they need is a stable environment to grow (which is NOT what we want). The number one threat associated with excess water vapor in the curing jars is loss of crop to mold. Be weary!

I use jars. I have several strains that dry differently. When the buds have dried for a week or so they are not dry all the way through (some more than others) At this point some folks will jar them and frequently open the jar to change air to keep the drying process going but slowly. I don't do that. After a week or so the buds will go in a jar. I leave them (loosely packed) overnight. I have a small hygrometer that will fit in a jar and I have a look the next day. Usually the RH will creep over 70. Instead of "burping" over and over I take the buds and put them in a paper grocery bag and hang it. I feel the buds frequently (they become more pliable due to high RH in the jar) When they again feel hard and dry on the outside back in the jar they go. When the RH stays just below 70 they are sealed for the cure. I do not heat or burp the jars at this point. After a week or so I will test RH. If the RH drops too much I do not use dang sponge and water... I put fresh buds.

A hygrometer is worth its weight in cannabis.

I use jars. I have several strains that dry differently. When the buds have dried for a week or so they are not dry all the way through (some more than others) At this point some folks will jar them and frequently open the jar to change air to keep the drying process going but slowly. I don't do that. After a week or so the buds will go in a jar. I leave them (loosely packed) overnight. I have a small hygrometer that will fit in a jar and I have a look the next day. Usually the RH will creep over 70. Instead of "burping" over and over I take the buds and put them in a paper grocery bag and hang it. I feel the buds frequently (they become more pliable due to high RH in the jar) When they again feel hard and dry on the outside back in the jar they go. When the RH stays just below 70 they are sealed for the cure. I do not heat or burp the jars at this point. After a week or so I will test RH. If the RH drops too much I do not use dang sponge and water... I put fresh buds.

A hygrometer is worth its weight in cannabis.
great post by the master right here.

i prefer to cure in paper bags, ive never ran into mould this way. i have bags still untouched from november last year that are amazing. That weed only goes to my finest friends and customers. i generally use paper bags for 2-3months after net drying. just an alternative for people to try if they dont like using jars.

But the advice above on burping is bang on :)

i prefer to cure in paper bags, ive never ran into mould this way. i have bags still untouched from november last year that are amazing. That weed only goes to my finest friends and customers. i generally use paper bags for 2-3months after net drying. just an alternative for people to try if they dont like using jars.

But the advice above on burping is bang on :)

I use paper bags too, for a while, but the humidity gets so high here at times it can reconstitute the buds to a point where they are too wet to smoke properly. So when they reach the right point the jars "freeze" the RH where I want it. You also don't want it too dry so for folks that have really low RH the buds will dry out all the way and loose the flavor you look to maintain with a good cure. I guess your RH must be sweet!

I cure in jars and I open them every week after first putting them in for about 4 weeks, then I cut back to monthly, I give the jars a shake before opening then after opening. The inside of jars are coated with Trics. ThenI will stir the buds around some and test for dryness by squeezing the buds once they have dried to the point of crumbling then the jars are put away for 6 months to cure.:peace::allgood::passitleft:

I cure in jars and I open them every week after first putting them in for about 4 weeks, then I cut back to monthly, I give the jars a shake before opening then after opening. The inside of jars are coated with Trics. ThenI will stir the buds around some and test for dryness by squeezing the buds once they have dried to the point of crumbling then the jars are put away for 6 months to cure.:peace::allgood::passitleft:

:thanks: :lot-o-toke:

I just found a neat gadget that will vacuum seal mason jars :cheesygrinsmiley:

I'll need a pic of that gadget :thanks:, also, warming jars , then capping will create a vacuum, but I heard that there is no need. thanks

When you have your RH at 60 you can vaccum seal and keep it fresh for a long time. To see a pic google FoodSaver® Wide Mouth Jar Sealer

I've reviewed THE REPS ARE RIGHT and found it to be entertaining & informative alike. I think it's something every member should participate in at least once. I know I will this Sunday. Join us Sunday through the 1st link below.

Join us :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: this Sunday at 9:00 PM PST the thread Noob City Grower

Back
Top Bottom