Dark Devil, Purple Lemonade & Zkittles Autos

So check it out GDB,

I took some pics of how I have my light in the veg tent. I’ve flowered under this light and gotten amazing results. Your light does very well for you too, so I’d consider it comparable.

I also took some pics of a seedling I’ve currently got just sitting on the floor. She’s even partially covered with fan leaves from the sour bubba. She’s a Xanadu. If anything, your babies may need a bit of shade at first.

@ChefDGreen, how many watts does your light pull?

That light is 204w and the tent is 20”x36”

it’s probably about 3 feet from the canopy
Mine is a LED, COB combo that pulls a true 630 watts. I think that could make a difference as far as causing stretch. We will see!

Hello growers! In the U.S. today is National Chili Day. I've got my chili recipe ready for this evening and my air freshener standing by!

I watered the Purple Lemonade(Day 49) to runoff with 2.5 @ 4.75MC (an increase of .25) and 1g Sweet Candy.

I took some close-ups of my Dark Devil(Day 49) just because I'd yet to do it. I think she's likes the attention! :Rasta:

P1020880.JPG P1020882.JPG P1020883.JPG

Also, I was able to capture some of the amber trichomes on my Zkit(Day 61). However, capturing them in focus eluded me.

Snap_002.jpg

The Strawberry Cheesecake I dropped into the water the other day sprouted and tap root and has been placed in a solo cup with a FFOF and Coco mix. It's a little chilly in the house, so I've got the cup sitting on a heating pad. She will take the spot that will soon be vacated by the Zkit!

Finally, @ChefDGreen, convinced me to throw some photos into the mix, mostly by appealing to my sense of greed (more, more more)! :Rasta: I'd like to move to a 18/6 light cycle, especially if I'm going to have photos in the tent. I remember reading sometime ago that whatever light cycle you start an auto on you should finish it on. Can someone weigh in on whether this is absolutely true? Do I risk screwing with my current autos by moving from 20/4 to 18/6 during what is basically mid-grow?

Later!

Looking like lots of amber from that picture! Is this from a sugar leaf or calyx? If you dont already know trichomes on sugarleaf will mature/amber faster than calyxes

Edit: opps noticed Chef already mentioned this above!

@InTheShed, the answer to your question is obvious (to me), I don't know what the hell I'm doing. As I said, I was slow to recognize the Nitrogen deficiency. At the same time, I was quick to notice that the Purp wanted more "stuff." I wasn't trying to remedy the problem I was having by adding the booster. I added the booster mostly because I wanted to and I was ignoring (or just not convinced or aware of) the extent of the Nitrogen shortage. Like I said, I should have increased the MC on the last feed, but I didn't. That was just a brain fart, of which I have many. But the booster was not intended to fix the Nitrogen issue.

Answering your question brings how I screwed up more into focus. Thanks for asking -- I guess. :Rasta:
Mate , I love your openness and honesty. nothing wrong with not being sure or spotting stuff. I still miss so much after over 20 odd years. Mc is an enigma still for me and getting g it bang o is no doubt going to happen for us. Keep the faith mate. Lots of help around when we hit walls.

Thanks @ChefDGreen. I am honored by your presence! I believe what you say about the potency of photos, but to me, autos -- by nature -- should be easier to grow. Unfortunately, out of 4 tries, I have yet to have an issue-free auto grow. That fact and the fact that I'm adjusting from DWC to soil and from liquid nutrients to MC, makes me reluctant to try a photo just yet. I'd like to get a few error free auto grows done first. (Also, I have stockpiled auto seeds and need to use them.) Plus, I am elderly, so time - or the lack thereof - is always on my mind. And as I read what I've written here, I think I sound pretty pathetic. But I can live with that! :Rasta:

Welcome aboard.
Bloody hell , mate how long they gave you ?? heehee. loved that comment on time. heehee. made me grin. I am an old got too. lol

Mine is a LED, COB combo that pulls a true 630 watts. I think that could make a difference as far as causing stretch. We will see!
I think stretching in veg happens because the plant is receiving information in the light that tells it it won’t have enough in the future. Even if just a little light lands on the ground, as long as it’s from a good source, the baby plants will know there’s enough light for their future.

I grew a Peyote Critical last year on MC only and it turned out great! The leaves went purple at the end and the harvest was sizeable. Good couchlock weed.
full

autos -- by nature -- should be easier to grow.
I'm with ChefD on this, and I've read many others say that autos are tougher to grow well than photos. I know it from personal experience having started with autos as well.
I'd like to move to a 18/6 light cycle, especially if I'm going to have photos in the tent. I remember reading sometime ago that whatever light cycle you start an auto on you should finish it on. Can someone weigh in on whether this is absolutely true? Do I risk screwing with my current autos by moving from 20/4 to 18/6 during what is basically mid-grow?
You're fine at 18/6 for all veg and autos, and changing autos mid-grow is not a problem. Some folks even end up at 12/12 with their autos if they sit in the same tent as the photos when they flip.

Looking like lots of amber from that picture! Is this from a sugar leaf or calyx? If you dont already know trichomes on sugarleaf will mature/amber faster than calyxes

Edit: opps noticed Chef already mentioned this above!
Bloody hell , mate how long they gave you ?? heehee. loved that comment on time. heehee. made me grin. I am an old got too. lol
No estimate on the time @Ganjagrandaddy! But every time I go see my doc he says, "Damn, didn't think I'd see you again." :Rasta:

I grew a Peyote Critical last year on MC only and it turned out great! The leaves went purple at the end and the harvest was sizeable. Good couchlock weed.
full

I'm with ChefD on this, and I've read many others say that autos are tougher to grow well than photos. I know it from personal experience having started with autos as well.

You're fine at 18/6 for all veg and autos, and changing autos mid-grow is not a problem. Some folks even end up at 12/12 with their autos if they sit in the same tent as the photos when they flip.
@InTheShed, that Peyote Critical looks awesome!

Thanks to you (and the Chef), I will change the light cycle without a lot of stress.

And to the notion that I started with and have been growing the tougher of the types, well that fills me with hope! :Rasta:

@InTheShed, that Peyote Critical looks awesome!

Thanks to you (and the Chef), I will change the light cycle without a lot of stress.

And to the notion that I started with and have been growing the tougher of the types, well that fills me with hope! :Rasta:
You’re gonna love photos. I started with autos too, as soon as I grew my first photo crop I was freakin hooked.

After this grow, I'm shutting down for a re-group. I'll go perpetual with two 2' x 4' tents. One will flower two plants, the other will be for everything else. My current thinking is a ten week cycle. At the start of the cycle, I'm thinking of starting eight seeds, four photoperiod, and four autoflowering. Two of the photoperiods will be culled, and as many of the autos as necessary to make room. At the end of the cycle, the photos go to the flowering tent, and a new batch is started.

I'll probably change the timing as I learn what I can do with the tents. I'll probably need to stagger the start of the photoperiod and autoflower groups to have as much canopy in the tent as possible.

So, autos will be used to fill the tent. It's the first time I'll grow autos, as until I came up with this plan I didn't think I'd ever grow them.

After this grow, I'm shutting down for a re-group. I'll go perpetual with two 2' x 4' tents. One will flower two plants, the other will be for everything else. My current thinking is a ten week cycle. At the start of the cycle, I'm thinking of starting eight seeds, four photoperiod, and four autoflowering. Two of the photoperiods will be culled, and as many of the autos as necessary to make room. At the end of the cycle, the photos go to the flowering tent, and a new batch is started.

I'll probably change the timing as I learn what I can do with the tents. I'll probably need to stagger the start of the photoperiod and autoflower groups to have as much canopy in the tent as possible.

So, autos will be used to fill the tent. It's the first time I'll grow autos, as until I came up with this plan I didn't think I'd ever grow them.
Woop! I am excited @Old Salt. I can't wait to see how you do with autos, and how you like them (or not). :Rasta: Please let me know when you start. Edit: I wish I could find the space for a second tent.

Mate , I love your openness and honesty. nothing wrong with not being sure or spotting stuff. I still miss so much after over 20 odd years. Mc is an enigma still for me and getting go bang is no doubt going to happen for us. Keep the faith mate. Lots of help around when we hit walls.
The openness and honesty come naturally, GGD. I love doing this, and I have no agenda. I just love talking to like-minded folks about these wonderful plants and having them (you) talk to me.

That was nice of you to say! :Rasta:

this is very interesting OS. Please tag me when/if you start a journal for your new arrangement. I’ll follow along for sure. Are you planning to stick with coco? Cause autos grow great in coco, from what I’ve seen. Also, what kind of auto genetics are you thinking? Did you already have something picked out/in your collection? I’d really love to get my hands on some of those mephisto crosses like the 4 assed monkey.

I did similar with my new run. used the 18/6 of the autos to give the photoperiod a decent start. worked well but would not like to go the other way.

this is very interesting OS. Please tag me when/if you start a journal for your new arrangement. I’ll follow along for sure. Are you planning to stick with coco? Cause autos grow great in coco, from what I’ve seen. Also, what kind of auto genetics are you thinking? Did you already have something picked out/in your collection? I’d really love to get my hands on some of those mephisto crosses like the 4 assed monkey.
give Bluedreamatic a go from fast buds.!!!!!! Wow those ladies have it all and produce amazing yields.

On the photo v auto issue , photo everytime for me. loved the exp of the auto grow but so much easier to work with photos , so much forgiveness in them. you wont regret switching G
I hope so, GGD. I really like the idea of growing autos and photos together. I am beginning to envision how I could time the start of grows of the two types so that I can be taking down plants more often. I'm looking for my slide rule now so that I can come up with the ideal scheduling scheme. Damn, where is that thing? :Rasta:

Hello growers! It's quite a chilly day here (wind chills @ 22F), so I'm chilling. :Rasta:

Got to water the group today. There is no longer any real watering schedule in play. It's ad hoc, depending on the weights of the pots and the moisture of the soil. Some are drinking more than others. So while they all get at least 2 days between feeds, what happens on the 3rd day varies from a slight topping, or water to runoff or do nothing.

The Zkit (day 63) got 1.6L at 4.75 MC (+ .25G) and 1g Sweet Candy. I used the wrong jug to water her so she didn't get any Bud Explosion this time. The little brain farts continue! :Rasta:

The Dark Devil (day 51) got 2.5L at 4.75 MC (+ .5g).

The Chocolate Skunk (day 38) got 3.5L at 4.75 MC (+ .25g). She is my new thirsty girl! I last watered her to runoff just 3 days ago, then had to top her with 1L yesterday because her pot felt really light. And today she too 3.5L before I saw anything from the bottom of the pot. She's gulping!

The Purple Lemonade (day 51) got 3L at 5 MC (+ .25g) and 1g of SC.

Just a few pics:

The Purple Lemonade is still fighting to get back to a nice green, but still ain't there. I'm beginning to think that I may have damaged some of her roots when I stuck some bamboo sticks in her a while back. That act closely coincided with her turn for bad. So I've just been wondering if the MC shortage might just be one of the causes for her problem.

P1020894.JPG

I cleaned off the bottom of the Chocolate Skunk.

P1020888.JPG

I've got a newborn Strawberry Cheesecake auto.

P1020892.JPG

My photoperiod progress.

My photo project got off to a shaky start indeed. Barneys Farm packs their seeds quite securely. I had 2 single packs of the Peyote Critical. When I tried break into the first one, something went wrong. The seed popped out and flew somewhere, never to be seen again. This is not the first time I've done this so I had to laugh. :Rasta:After about a half hour of searching the carpet for the tiny thing, I finally got frustrated and just vacuumed the rug, thinking that was the only way I was going to stop looking for the damn thing.

I was able to get the 2nd Peyote open and dropped into water without a problem.

I dropped 2 Tangerine Dreams after a successful package break-ins, as well.

The Tangies have sunk to the bottom of their cups. The Peyote continues to float.

I'm going to start another grow journal for the photos. It's easier for me to follow what I'm doing in a short concise journal. I hope some of you will join me on my new adventure!

Later!

Back
Top Bottom