Doc Bud's High Brix Q&A With Pictures

re: Doc Bud - High Brix Q&A With Pictures

I think I would prefer to vacuum seal mason jars rather than use Mylar or similar material, which I feel would overly compress the cannabis.

There is another product some people use (oxygen absorbers) that I may be interested in looking into...especially for the jars I store long term for the cure.

Here is a link to one such product: link

I think I would prefer to vacuum seal mason jars rather than use Mylar or similar material, which I feel would overly compress the cannabis.

There is another product some people use (oxygen absorbers) that I may be interested in looking into...especially for the jars I store long term for the cure.

Hmmmmm , I just smoke it !
Have a good 1 or 2,
Thebulldog

Hmmmmm , I just smoke it !
Have a good 1 or 2,
Thebulldog

I'm pretty sure most of us on here smoke it/vape it on a daily basis.
But patience truly rewards those who can stow away some for a later date.
And if you are truly diligent, you can eventually get to the point where all you're using is 5 month or longer cured cannabis. I'm not there yet, but getting closer all the time.

Like Doc Bud said...about a fine aged wine. You might buy it new and drink it then, but if you store it for a few years, it's a whole different experience. :thumb:

I'm pretty sure most of us on here smoke it/vape it on a daily basis.
But patience truly rewards those who can stow away some for a later date.
And if you are truly diligent, you can eventually get to the point where all you're using is 5 month or longer cured cannabis. I'm not there yet, but getting closer all the time.

Like Doc Bud said...about a fine aged wine. You might buy it new and drink it then, but if you store it for a few years, it's a whole different experience. :thumb:

Wanted to chime in and say "Yes" to all those who suggested food storage technology for cannabis. I think it's a great idea and it probably wouldn't be too hard to store it in a manner where it would only change VERY slowly. Cure it till a desired time, then put it in stasis.

My mind is running wild with the commercial applications of this tech, which is really nothing new.....just new to us!

RE: Barrel aged and bottle aged wine and connoisseur cannabis.....for me they are the exact same nerve pathways in the brain....one person is passionate about wine, grapes, soil....I'm like that with weed.

BTW, if you ever conduct "tastings" keep a small bag of coffee handy so people can smell the coffee between tastes. It cleanses the pallet.

I love having people over and tasting. It's gets real interesting after hits 8 and 9 for most regular tokers. I like to take jar hits....where I just deeply inhale the smell from the jar 3 or 4 times. You really get the nuances like that and I swear it enhances the high.

Some pics of my helper's second grow ever. This is an Afghani strain of some sort and uses the new Roots Product I'm shipping with the kits now.

Picture_010165.jpg
Picture_009168.jpg
Picture_008168.jpg
Picture_007186.jpg
Picture_006203.jpg

here are some pics of other stuff I have going right now. I've neglected the garden a bit the last 3 weeks. I'll be finishing up, giving it a good scrubbing, top to bottom and re-planting with:

Willie Nelson
Jack Herer
Lemon Paki
Purple Cadillac (pics of the nugs coming soon....incredible.)

Picture_01997.jpg
Picture_018103.jpg
Picture_01795.jpg
Picture_01696.jpg
Picture_015120.jpg
Picture_014138.jpg
Picture_013137.jpg
Picture_012148.jpg
Picture_011150.jpg
Picture_005220.jpg
Picture_004229.jpg
Picture_003234.jpg
Picture_002233.jpg

Hey Tavoso - could you explain a little?

Some of our favorite things about cannabis are the volatile terpenes that make it smell so damn good, as well as act synergistically with THC for the effects we love. Under a hard vacuum, we lose some of these mono and sesquiterpenes, there by loosing some flavor and effect. Strange things can happen to Cannabis resin under vacuum. Ever had shatter wax up under vac? Weird. The pharmaceutical/essential oil practice for terpene preservation uses steam extraction and a water/oil separator for maximum "essence".

Also, if we remove all the atmosphere down to 29.9hg, we are also boiling off all the water in the bud. I'd hypothesize after an extended vacuum sealed storage, you'd be left with crumbly buds with less flavor than when you first put them in.

I would recommend Boveda packs for long term storage. In a Mylar bag sounds great. But if all options available, I'd like to start keeping my herb in those biophotonic, violet colored apothecary jars.

I do a lot of food storage and the O2 absorbers are not bad. Lots of people here also have CO2, they can pump the CO2 into the jar and store the weed that way. It wont be perfect but you could remove a lot of the oxygen. You could do a combination of the CO2 and a vacuum sealer.

I remember reading something years ago about storing cannabis in a CO2 flooded container ... it also helped with the resulting THC profile ... supposedly ...

It makes sense to remove the oxygen, but the idea of vacuum gives me the willies, for the kind of reasons Tavo gave.

[Edit] I know there are nitrogen cannisters for recorking wine - you spray it into a bottle through a long straw and vacate the air with the nitrogen - removes oxygen. I wonder if there's such a thing for CO2? You could just fill the mason jar with CO2 before you closed it up.

[Re-edit :cheesygrinsmiley:] Paintball cannisters!

I do a lot of food storage and the O2 absorbers are not bad. Lots of people here also have CO2, they can pump the CO2 into the jar and store the weed that way. It wont be perfect but you could remove a lot of the oxygen. You could do a combination of the CO2 and a vacuum sealer.

That sounds interesting. Im primarily concerned with achieving an epic cure, so the RH of the jar or bag in question means much more to me than the type of gas present. However, I could see for extreme long term storage replacing the o2 with something inert...id prob still toss a Boveda in there...moisture content of co2 directly from a bottle might be near 0%.

Upon further research, I find that the curing process requires oxygen.

So, ideally, once it's cured to satisfaction, the container should be vacated of oxygen, at which point it should be stable for a year or two, in the dark, at proper humidity, in a very cool place.

So, ideally, once it's cured to satisfaction, the container should be vacated of oxygen, at which point it should be stable for a year or two, in the dark, at proper humidity, in a very cool place.

Yes now you say that I remember reading that is why it's important to burp - reintroduce oxygen. Shit I can't imagine how much ganja I'd need to grow to need to implement inert gas storage...

Still very curious about miron glass jars...

I remember reading something years ago about storing cannabis in a CO2 flooded container ... it also helped with the resulting THC profile ... supposedly ...

It makes sense to remove the oxygen, but the idea of vacuum gives me the willies, for the kind of reasons Tavo gave.

[Edit] I know there are nitrogen cannisters for recorking wine - you spray it into a bottle through a long straw and vacate the air with the nitrogen - removes oxygen. I wonder if there's such a thing for CO2? You could just fill the mason jar with CO2 before you closed it up.

[Re-edit :cheesygrinsmiley:] Paintball cannisters!

There are O2 absorbers...used in long term food storage..prepping, etc.

Re vacuum sealing ball jars...if the buds have been dried and cured properly, 60-63%?
Putting them in a ball jar and vacuuming out 97-99% of the air, i think the buds should be kept same almost indefinitely, no?
With little to no air, no humidity exchange will take place, therefore no crispy buds, and buds should retain their RH that was set at curing..
Raisins, i have stored in vacuum sealed ball jars stay moist, never gotten crispy or crusty..just sayn'
..i guess we need to try it.. like washing buds...Try it, you'll like it.. :)

Does anyone vacuum seal their Ball jars?
I have a vacuum food saver and came with Ball jar top attachment. Im not there yet to try it.. :)
I do this after I am positive that the buds are dry.

There is a FoodSaver wide mouth jar sealer that can be used with a brake pump vacuum... works great.

There are O2 absorbers...used in long term food storage..prepping, etc.

Re vacuum sealing ball jars...if the buds have been dried and cured properly, 60-63%?
Putting them in a ball jar and vacuuming out 97-99% of the air, i think the buds should be kept same almost indefinitely, no?
With little to no air, no humidity exchange will take place, therefore no crispy buds, and buds should retain their RH that was set at curing..
Raisins, i have stored in vacuum sealed ball jars stay moist, never gotten crispy or crusty..just sayn'
..i guess we need to try it.. like washing buds...Try it, you'll like it.. :)

I do this after I am positive that the buds are dry.

There is a FoodSaver wide mouth jar sealer that can be used with a brake pump vacuum... works great.

Great stuff everyone!

In the near future, if a person wants any kind of career in the Cannabis industry, rest assured food processing and storage technology is going to be a large player. We have a perishable product that is designed for human consumption.

Hey Doc,

I've read through a few discussion about purple petioles including your own where, it seems, you couldn't figure it out either. In my very limited experience it does seem that green petioled plants are happier so I'm wondering if you came to any conclusions about what stresser is behind the purple petiole. I've come across both N and P named as the alleged culprits. Jorge C.dodges the question at his interweb spot. There doesn't seem to be much concern focused on the issue at all.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Ludweed.

Back
Top Bottom