DocBud - New Room - Super Soil - Etc

Re: DocBud - New Room - Super Soil - Etc.

Doc,

Vermicrop is out of the question in my neck of the woods.

I'm going to try find some Black Gold in my area. What kind do you use? The Natural & Organic, High porosity natural organic, or general purpose?

Another question, I just bought some cactus potting soil for my daughter and it seems like some real nice soil. It seems heavy, maybe some sand or something, nothing is listed on the bag.
Question is other than regular potting soils, are other soils like the cactus, or orchid, african violet, etc. soils maybe even better for growing MJ?

WOW!!!!!!! great lookin room i can see IGOR with his hand on the switch are you ready master HEHEHE all right i know when to quit cant wait to see it filled up :)

Hey HH check out Vital Earths Mana Mix.... its a great soil/ coco mix

Doc.. Wow... greeat room ya built yourself brother

Doc,

Vermicrop is out of the question in my neck of the woods.

I'm going to try find some Black Gold in my area. What kind do you use? The Natural & Organic, High porosity natural organic, or general purpose?

Another question, I just bought some cactus potting soil for my daughter and it seems like some real nice soil. It seems heavy, maybe some sand or something, nothing is listed on the bag.
Question is other than regular potting soils, are other soils like the cactus, or orchid, african violet, etc. soils maybe even better for growing MJ?

I don't think African Violet soil would be best. It's acidic.

I don't know anything about cactus soil.....orchid soil is basically bark and perlite.

MJ likes organic matter. A good organic potting soil is the way to go. Drainage is important. If you have big lights and grow strong plants, you can get away with the regular stuff. Weak lighting and small plants dictates a soil that drains a bit better, so the high porosity might be the best choice.

Hey HH check out Vital Earths Mana Mix.... its a great soil/ coco mix

Doc.. Wow... greeat room ya built yourself brother

I've used it and did not like it at all! I really don't like coco.....it grabs nutrients and messes with the Cation exchange......I also found that the stuff compacted after a few waterings and it took forever to water the pots, because the soil formed up like concrete on top.

Not my choice in soil. You should try Vermicrop.

hmmm good to note.... i mix mine with my own soil and that might be the difference for me.. the grow im on now i just used Ve loose coco50/50 with the soil from our ranch (treated for bugs etc)
i will definitely try vermicrop i have read about it and it looks good.
thanks for the heads up

hash, I used the african violet soil on 2 of my plants because i was out of ffof and let me tell you they just exploded, were nice and healthy and grew so fast have had no issues thus far. I know its not the best soil for mj because it a bit acidic but worked out in the end....:peace:

Doc,

When determining the right time to pick, if you pass the peak of ripeness, your plants thc starts to degrade right? Is there a point when you can wait too long waiting for more amber and then quality suffers a lot?

point is, I gave a few friends clones of the Papaya I just finished growing. Which I was disappointed in from the online description.

I visited one of the guys the other day (who has no clue to growing except what he asks of me) and picked a bud off a clone that is about 8 weeks 12/12 (and 3 months of vege) and about 75% cloudy tris no amber in sight. The pot was quick dried, and it seemed better than the plant I grew and let go 13 weeks waiting for more amber that never appeared.
He gives them very little attention. He is gone a week at a time, and only waters on the weekends. They are droopy every time he comes home, he waters and in hours they are thriving. I loaded the soil like I did for my last grow with OC+ etc, and he has given them nothing but water. They got so big I told him to top them because they were growing into the 400w hps. They are about eye level to me and in 4 gl pots.

I am assuming he is close to peek and I don't want to tell him to wait for amber and it degrade from the potency it has now. The buds are not as big as mine were, nor as frosty, but it sure seems better than mine.
And actually my Papaya seemed more of an up high than his. I just smoked his before I started this post, so you might be able to tell i'm a bit stoned.

I am also finishing white widow and kandy kush clones the same age as his and I don't wanna screw them up either.

Internet troubles.....sorry about the long time between posts.

The grow is having no troubles, however:

15 purple somethings
IMG_16872.JPG

IMG_16892.JPG

IMG_16903.JPG

Below, Willie Nelson....roots just reaching supersoil....whoah! What's this? My leaves are curling...
IMG_16913.JPG

..after 4 days, they're fine...and way bigger.
IMG_16983.JPG

Space Jill, 51 days from seed
IMG_16922.JPG

IMG_16932.JPG

IMG_16942.JPG

IMG_16952.JPG

IMG_16965.JPG

IMG_16972.JPG

these ladies like tea time
IMG_16991.JPG

Gonna be frosty bitches when they grow up....
spacejillcropped.jpg

All is well, and gonna get interesting in the coming weeks.

if i could give that more likes i would doc!
showing how no mercy is done with force!
ya got some great looking meds there!

That early topped Willie looks cool, are you testing 2 different topping methods for yield?

hey doc
please help i bought foxfarm nutes for soil can i use them in a hydro
system

i don't know much about hydro....but I do know that most hydro guys do not like FF and prefer GH, Advanced, House/Garden, Floranova etc. The guy around here who has his hydro dialed in is Pit Viper, and he's got a thread that specifically spells out his nute regimen clearly.....I suggest looking for that thread.

That early topped Willie looks cool, are you testing 2 different topping methods for yield?

The one with 4 heads was nearly killed by me when she was a wee lass....I hit them with a high nitrogen fert to get a better boy/girl ratio, but I used a quart pitcher instead of a gallon one and fryed them all.

Basically, it FIM'ed her chemically. She's recovered and is not a pretty cool plant. The other one was topped using the thumbnail/fingernail method....just pinched it.

The flowering time is so long I wanted to spread them out a bit more.

Hi Doc,
New room and grow looks like its should be a good one. Had a question about Hygrozyme, just ordered some. I'm 35 days into flower, plants doing well. Going to give some cal-mag I also ordered, but read that hygrozyme shouldn't be used in flower. Wondering your thoughts on this.I'm using a 60%-40 sunshine mix and perlite.

Hi Doc,
New room and grow looks like its should be a good one. Had a question about Hygrozyme, just ordered some. I'm 35 days into flower, plants doing well. Going to give some cal-mag I also ordered, but read that hygrozyme shouldn't be used in flower. Wondering your thoughts on this.I'm using a 60%-40 sunshine mix and perlite.

Pure nonsense! You can use hygrozyme during flower....in fact, I think you should! Where did you read about this? So much mythology......

You may not NEED hygrozyme.....but you can certainly use it.

Hey Doc, Subbed on this grow, and I've been following your threads for a few months, and i have learned a ton. Your new grow rooms are awesome!! I just started an indoor grow journal for 3 bubba kush skunk crosses and after reading in your thread earlier on the different soil mixes, i am hoping i didn't "F" up my soil. I have an outdoor semi stealth grow going also in smart pots, both above and below ground (with root guard barriers for gophers) and i used mostly FFOF with 10% worm castings and 20% added perlite and i ran out and i bought some RO 707 as i was pointed to it by a large med grower who swore by the results he got over FFOF. I have to admit, that outside, the 707 plants, (4 of them) did grow more quickly, and i still had a bag and 1/2 of it so mixed up enough to run this first batch of 3 clones to get my feet wet inside. I haven't noticed a gnat issue, although they have only been in the containers (3 gal) for 9 days today. I used a little more worm casting and slightly less soil than my outside pots for micro help. I did follow your recipe for the OC + and used 2 tbps per gallon of soil, hoping that will cover me for the grow. I do my own tea, which is a big batch, because i feed 20 plants outside with it as well as going to use it every couple weeks on these 3 indoor plants. The water for indoor is RO, the water in the tea is RO as well.

I am using LED's because i can't handle the heat/power costs for the current set up. 870 watts in a 3' x 6' x 7'h space. I hope they work, seems like vegging will be excellent, will have to wait and see on the budding.

Thanks for the wealth of info you share here in your journals. Looking forward so seeing how this one finishes up.

I've concocted my own tea, would you pass some thoughts on it. I'd make changes to it immediately based on your expert diagnosis.

15 gal RO water, 2 130gph sub pumps, 2 air stones in a 25 gal rubbermaid dark blue tub.

my mix uses the following.

1 cup blackstrap molasses
1 cup sugar
4 cups worm castings
1/2 cup N2 bat guano

i feed 1/1 tea with ro water 1/2 to 3/4 gal each depending on plant size weekly.

Hey Doc, Subbed on this grow, and I've been following your threads for a few months, and i have learned a ton. Your new grow rooms are awesome!! I just started an indoor grow journal for 3 bubba kush skunk crosses and after reading in your thread earlier on the different soil mixes, i am hoping i didn't "F" up my soil. I have an outdoor semi stealth grow going also in smart pots, both above and below ground (with root guard barriers for gophers) and i used mostly FFOF with 10% worm castings and 20% added perlite and i ran out and i bought some RO 707 as i was pointed to it by a large med grower who swore by the results he got over FFOF. I have to admit, that outside, the 707 plants, (4 of them) did grow more quickly, and i still had a bag and 1/2 of it so mixed up enough to run this first batch of 3 clones to get my feet wet inside. I haven't noticed a gnat issue, although they have only been in the containers (3 gal) for 9 days today. I used a little more worm casting and slightly less soil than my outside pots for micro help. I did follow your recipe for the OC + and used 2 tbps per gallon of soil, hoping that will cover me for the grow. I do my own tea, which is a big batch, because i feed 20 plants outside with it as well as going to use it every couple weeks on these 3 indoor plants. The water for indoor is RO, the water in the tea is RO as well.

I am using LED's because i can't handle the heat/power costs for the current set up. 870 watts in a 3' x 6' x 7'h space. I hope they work, seems like vegging will be excellent, will have to wait and see on the budding.

Thanks for the wealth of info you share here in your journals. Looking forward so seeing how this one finishes up.

I've concocted my own tea, would you pass some thoughts on it. I'd make changes to it immediately based on your expert diagnosis.

15 gal RO water, 2 130gph sub pumps, 2 air stones in a 25 gal rubbermaid dark blue tub.

my mix uses the following.

1 cup blackstrap molasses
1 cup sugar
4 cups worm castings
1/2 cup N2 bat guano

i feed 1/1 tea with ro water 1/2 to 3/4 gal each depending on plant size weekly.

That sounds pretty good.....I'd add about triple the wormcastings, lose the sugar and only use 8 tbsp or so of the molasses......but yours will still work.

also consider adding some kelp meal and perhaps 1/2 cup fish fert, along with a source of micro's, like Azomite.

The kelp meal will help the microbes develop as well as supply some K, which teas usually lack.

The fishy ferts will be broken down and feed fungus in the tea, so your tea will not just be bacterial. This especially helps in the latter half of the bloom cycle.

The mineral source (Azomite) helps enzymatic processes in the microbes which aid their breakdown of organic matter.......in other words the microbes will be able to feed the plants more efficiently.

I've been studying and learning about the compost/vermi tea process and have been pretty blown away by it all. There are different types of tea and different ways to brew it. You can go simple or complex....but a decent tea is always a positive thing.

Too much sugar, however, will cause pathogens to grow.

Back
Top Bottom