Emeraldo's 2017 Female Seeds Grow - Sexbud - ICE - Purple Maroc

having some cooler weather. topped the big Purple Maroc night before last. she took the day off yesterday, but looks like she's back to growing again today!

IMG_060848.jpg

Topped the first ICE plant last night just above the 5th node, as with the PM last week.

I am so impressed with Purple Maroc as a strain. The Big Purple Maroc was the first seed to germinate, has grown the fastest, was ready for topping first, and is now rapidly pushing out side branches and filling out at an incredible speed! PM generally is a fantastic strain, easy to grow, not finicky.

The "replacement" Purple Maroc (it was germinated 5 days after the rest because one of the two original PM seeds did not pop for a long time) has caught up with the crowd and is also ready for topping tonight along with the large SB.

The Runt PM (finally popped 12 days after soaking) and the tiny SB have been pretty much left behind, I'll let them grow but do not expect them to catch up with the rest at this point.

Clockwise from top left: ICE1 (photo taken before topping), the runt PM, the "replacement" PM, Big PM (topped), ICE2, and SB1. There is one other plant, another SB (the remaining twin) which is out of view, still small and growth slow.

IMG_060946.jpg

Now that vegging is really underway, have been topping and re-potting into the N-rich organic soil mix that contains chicken poo. I started off carefully and saw how green they can get. It is such a beautiful color!

I ran into an issue with the newly re-potted ICE1, which got a strong dose of N yesterday and started clawing. All the top leaves and some bottom fan leaves, claw-shaped. I thought that might be N-toxicity so I next day flushed and re-potted into soil with less N and flushed again. Today she is fine, back to normal, no damage. The photo below is from today, she looks fine to me. But I can't figure out -- Did this happen because of the N in soil or because the strain ICE is prone to reacting that way? The other strains did not claw (see below):
IMG_061945.jpg

Like I said, was topping along, and, oops, F*** I Missed! It really happened! I have topped 4 plants now, first PM1, then the ICE1, then Sexbud1 and finally PM2, but the last it was a fim. Look at the photo: you see the two new branches coming up from the node, and right on top of that is leaf material that was left by my unsuccessful topping cut, oh well, I'll keep it and see what happens. Thinking of this one topping again, at least one of the three or four colas that seem to be taking shape, maybe LST-ing the others.
IMG_0617_1_2.jpg

It's summer and veg-time! Below behold Sexbud, just re-potted today into the high N organic mix in my tub 2. She did not react adversely to the transplant or the new soil... so far. You can't see it, but she already has one pistil and it's only mid-June!
IMG_061350.jpg
IMG_061450.jpg

4 weeks into veg (or about 7 weeks since initially soaking seeds), I must say that the FS strains have all turned out beautifully. They all have responded nicely to topping, and to topping twice. This is an organic grow, and I did notice that my first ICE plant had some stress, possibly because of a hot spot of chicken manure when transferring to a larger pot, but that stress has all but disappeared. The second ICE plant did not have the problem at all, nor did the other two strains. The other two strains, Purple Maroc and Sexbud, have both been so easy. Well, enough bla bla, here are the photos, first ICE1:

IMG_062350.jpg

...here is Purple Maroc 1 (topped twice):

IMG_062040.jpg

... PM2, the largest plant, was fimmed. That's the little Sexbud 2 on the right:

IMG_062544.jpg

That node spacing is incredible, wish I could've gotten my outdoor gal to bang out like that.

I've topped the plants twice. I also supercrop and then LST the branches to get the canopy balanced and encourage light and air flow into the inner areas. Has worked nicely.

Here's a Purple Maroc, today. She'd been Fimmed, so I got four growing points, and tied them down. Had to restrain her from growing too tall.

IMG_063546.jpg

and here's one of sexbud (also a FS strain). Nodes seem nicely spaced, not too crowded.

IMG_063043.jpg

and finally the two ICE sisters: one is a bit too thick and dense, the other is wow.

IMG_063344.jpg

The folks at Female Seeds told me Purple Maroc would be an early flowering strain, but I really didn't expect THIS! Today is July 8. and a seed that was soaked for germination on April 28 has now, about 72 days later, started flowering. This did not happen because of any change in the lighting I could have done. The plant has been outside the whole time, it is due to the shortening of the daylight. Has anyone had any experience like this with Purple Maroc?

IMG_064446.jpg

The folks at Female Seeds told me Purple Maroc would be an early flowering strain, but I really didn't expect THIS! Today is July 8. and a seed that was soaked for germination on April 28 has now, about 72 days later, started flowering. This did not happen because of any change in the lighting I could have done. The plant has been outside the whole time, it is due to the shortening of the daylight. Has anyone had any experience like this with Purple Maroc?

Wow! That's impressive, talk about an early girl.

Update on ICE @ 95 days from seed, including 10 weeks in veg soil and now flower soil. Not yet flowering, but was flipped to 12.5 hours darkness. Leaves have filled in since a month ago.

IMG_069758.jpg

Looking great! Definitely adding that purple maroc to my collection next yr if I can get ahold of it. That ice girl looks like she'll be a winner, great growth patterns since she started filling out

Thanks KW. I would grow purple maroc again for sure. I have to say that purple maroc and sexbud were easy to grow, no problems. ICE is a bit finnicky. Doesn't like fertilizer and shows it (I had some clawing = arching of leaves due to high N, I think). Also she takes a long time to flower, is the last of the three. As for the smoke, I'll let you know.

So here an update on this grow so far, and in general:

Germination April 28, moved to harden off in GH on May 16, vegged outside into July, when the various strains revealed their own schedules. One plant started flowering on July 8. On July 28, all plants had been vegging for about 10 weeks (12 weeks from seed) and I flipped the light schedule for all plants from "outside" to a schedule of 12.5 hours in the blackout room, 6.5 hours direct sunlight, 5 hours indirect. If they weren't already flowering, they are now.

Purple Maroc 2: First to flower. I first noticed it was flowering and took the photo on July 8. As of today, PM2 is @ Day 29 of flowering. This seems unusual insofar as this plant started flowering weeks before any of the others, even its own sister PM1. If the days in flowering info on seedfinder . eu is to be believed (49 days), I may have a ripe plant ready for harvest by the end of August! We'll see. ;)

Purple maroc is mainly sativa, I found out after growing it, a fact that was contradicted by the statement on seedfinder . eu that it would be "mostly indica". To look at my plants, I guess you would say they look "sativa". Mr. B of Female Seeds confirmed that. The plant itself grew robustly, I was impressed with its rapid, strong growth in May and June, responding well topping, cropping, and tying. Time in flowering? I'll let you know!

Sexbud 1: I first noticed it was flowering and took the photo on Aug 2. As of today, SB1 is @ Day 3 of flowering. I suspect this plant may be ready at the end of September.

Sexbud 2: I first noticed this plant was flowering yesterday, Aug 2. I'm guessing: ripe at end of September.

Purple Maroc 1: I first noticed this plant was flowering today, Aug 3. I don't know how to predict this one, given that its sister is so far ahead in the process. Most likely, this is the "normal" Purple Maroc plant, and it will need about 8 or 9 weeks.

ICE 1 & 2: This is very clearly a different breed. Different look, different green, different shapes, different branching, different preferences iro amount of N (one plant showed clawing at one point, fixed by flushing), different timing in terms of flowering. Different leaves. ICE grew strongly, is mainly sativa but mine have broader leaves than the PM or SB. The leaves feel somehow thicker, like leather, they are tough like pineapple sage. The branching was wonderful to work with, the plant was topped once, then each growth point was again topped, so 4 growing points. Supercropping was like this plant is cooperating, the nodes were nicely spaced and the branches feel like wire, so you can bend them slowly and make them stay in a certain position or shape. She took on a great shape in terms of airflow and sunlight reaching the buds.

Rather than provoke a new bout of clawing or nute burn, I am going to start the flowering process for ICE with molasses only. This is said to develop roots by feeding the micro-herd, funghi, bacteria. Teaming! yay! Go mycorhizzae! The two ICE plants were re-potted July 28 into flower soil with little N and more P and K, so no additional flower nutes will be given at this point. As they progress toward flowering -- as of today I cannot detect any clear sign of pistil growth, but lighter green new growth is profuse -- I will decide if more bloom and bud accellerator could help them finish. Not sure. As of today, the buds are clearly forming on ICE2. On ICE1 the new leaf growth looks like preflowering is complete.

Overall, the different timing of the strains seems to require a different strategy in terms of feeding during mid- and late-flowering, since at some point the organic nutes in the flowering soil will have been use. I bought GO Bio Thrive/Bloom and Bio Bud so that I can give them what they need when the nute content of the soil is deplenished. But then I was reading a truly great thread on icmag.com, a test of Canna Boost v. Molasses. Then last night I was digging through my grow stuff and discovered I had an old bottle of Canna Boost from my first grow 5 years ago, and unless someone tells me it is foolish to use it, I am going to try it in small amounts on PM2 and SB1 as they get into flowering. Why would the triacontanol in Canna Boost be unusable? Does it decay or break down? I kept the bottle in the cellar in a cool dark spot. PM2 and SB1 got Canna Boost today. Not sure I will use Canna Boost on the others, depends on how these first two react.

I am going to start my own comparisons on two sets of two plants: PM2 and SB1, and PM1 and SB2. Two variables, Day 1 and Day 2. On Day 1, which was today, the first set (PM2 & SB1) will get a light dose of 5-year old Canna Boost + molasses. On Day 2, set 1 gets GO Bio (Thrive/Bloom + Bud). Set 2 (PM1 and SB2) will get, for the immediate future, GO Bio regime on Day 1 and water on Day 2. The ICE sisters (who have a family history of being sensitive) will get water on Day 1 and molasses on Day 2. Ultimately this schedule will progress and change, but I want to take it slow and watch the girls closely to see how they respond.

Below behold Purple maroc 1, who was the first seed to germinate and shot up like none of the others, getting bigger faster until she was passed up by PM2.

IMG_070749.jpg
IMG_070857.jpg

Back
Top Bottom