Extraction & infusion for medicine is my thing

Semiosis

420 Member
Hey, everyone. I have absolutely no problem with recreational use, and I do that, but I also have people I love with life-threatening medical conditions. I've been growing/extracting/infusing/creating medicines for them from cannabis for ten years, (oils, topicals, edibles, you name it) from both thc and cbd (and other essential oils, depending). I've even bred my own strains. If it weren't for cannabis, we couldn't keep our son at home, and I believe it has saved his life. I think it's important that people know how much this plant can help, and also to combine our knowledge to continue to learn how to create cannabis products from home, since many of us couldn't possibly afford dispensary prices. I admit I'm not the best grower, but I keep it going, and I'm always up for talking about ways to get the plant into an alternative form than simply sparking up--although there's nothing wrong with that either. Cheers.

I crossed ACDC, which is a CBD dominant strain bred from Cannatonic with little to no psychotropic effect, with The Black, a THC indica everyone knows about, to get the primary CBD medicinal plant I use for edibles to treat pain and muscle spasms, and then I keep a straight up and uncomplicated blueberry THC for its sedative, anti-anxiety effects. For a time, I grew different strains, but growing isn't as interesting to me as finding medicines and delivery methods that work from the result. I just always wish I had pounds and pounds to experiment with. From those two mothers, I keep my garden growing with clones, and I switch out my mothers about once a year, right after my summer outside grow. I'm always paranoid I'll lose my ACDC/Black strain, since I can't replace it and it works the best I've ever found. Today, I'm planting clones that are ready from my two mothers. From those two strains, I will make gummies, caramels, chocolates, creams, soaps, and anything else that occurs to me at a given moment. Below is a soap I made the other day from a goat's milk base and CBD and calendula-infused hemp seed oil with lavender with chamomile and oatmeal I'm just trying, and the other is a CBD cream that has proven surprisingly effective against psoriasis and eczema where everything else has failed.

tempImageCcNoKT.png

soap.jpg

I crossed ACDC, which is a CBD dominant strain bred from Cannatonic with little to no psychotropic effect, with The Black, a THC indica everyone knows about, to get the primary CBD medicinal plant I use for edibles to treat pain and muscle spasms, and then I keep a straight up and uncomplicated blueberry THC for its sedative, anti-anxiety effects. For a time, I grew different strains, but growing isn't as interesting to me as finding medicines and delivery methods that work from the result. I just always wish I had pounds and pounds to experiment with. From those two mothers, I keep my garden growing with clones, and I switch out my mothers about once a year, right after my summer outside grow. I'm always paranoid I'll lose my ACDC/Black strain, since I can't replace it and it works the best I've ever found. Today, I'm planting clones that are ready from my two mothers. From those two strains, I will make gummies, caramels, chocolates, creams, soaps, and anything else that occurs to me at a given moment. Below is a soap I made the other day from a goat's milk base and CBD and calendula-infused hemp seed oil with lavender with chamomile and oatmeal I'm just trying, and the other is a CBD cream that has proven surprisingly effective against psoriasis and eczema where everything else has failed.

tempImageCcNoKT.png

soap.jpg
Hey @Semiosis hope you are well my friend.
Beautiful looking product.
Welcome to 420magazine :welcome:

Stay safe
Bill

a CBD cream that has proven surprisingly effective against psoriasis and eczema where everything else has failed.
Hey Semi - good to see you here!! :welcome: I have a friend that is going crazy from this!!!! I mean he is covered head to foot. What type of cream do you think would help??

Hey green jeans--They did some interesting studies in Germany on the efficacy of red clover on eczema, and I saw it, so I thought I would try something with CBD, since it can be so amazing topically. My friend got the exact same thing--covered with eczema, head to foot, so miserable. Sometimes I extract for creams, but in this case I infused an ACDC strain, which is CBD (I always include some thc in any cbd concoction, even topically, and my acdc is a hybrid I created with The Black), into hemp seed oil. I added that to a shea butter base with colloidal oatmeal, wildflower raw honey, and beeswax, and then I basically put anything in there that anyone said might help, lol, leaning heavily on CBD oil and red clover oil for the primary medicinal ingredients. I also included small amounts of: aloe vera, primrose oil, calendula oil, cayenne oil (also an important one, I think), cinnamon oil, rosemary, turmeric (important), dandelion, and black cohosh. I don't know that I needed all of those, but it worked for him. I wanted to add lavender for the smell and other properties, but he doesn't like it. They'd even put him on steroids to try to get rid of it, but with the cream it was visibly improved in days and gone in about five or six weeks. It also worked for another friend who had psoriasis. If you make it, good luck, and let me know if you have any questions I could answer. I don't always find that these things work, but this one seems to have done so. -semiosis

Yes. And it doesn't really matter. Some are nicer than others for the skin, but oil is oil. I happened to use hemp seed oil, but you could use coconut oil, or C8 MCT oil, which is derived from coconut oil and is tasteless and odorless, or olive oil, or emu oil, lol. Any you like. I recently got a Levo to make my life easier, but I infused the old-fashioned way for years. Most carrier oils can be infused in roughly the same way. You 1) cover and decarboxylate the dried material in the oven. I do it for 240 degrees fahrenheight for 40 minutes, but people vary in what they say is appropriate. I don't really think it matters as long as you cook it long enough and don't get near the evaporation point for THC (314 fahrenheight) or CBD (320-356 fahrenheight); 2) Cover the material with your carrier oil and let it cook at low heat in your crock pot (4-6 hours) or your double boiler (6-8 hours). You don't want it to get much hotter than between 180-200 degrees F. You can pretty much bind cannabis to anything with lipids (fats); 3) strain and push out all the oil into a container. Get ready for it to make your house smell, though.

Thanx Semi - I've been using the coconut oil for awhile now but supposedly it doesn't sink in thru the pores very well, just sits on top. I'm looking to use something that goes in deeper, grape seed, hemp seed, whatever I just wasn't sure if you infused it the same as coconut oil.

I also have people I love with life-threatening medical conditions. I've been growing/extracting/infusing/creating medicines for them from cannabis for ten years, (oils, topicals, edibles, you name it) from both thc and cbd (and other essential oils, depending).
Welcome to the site! Lots of amazing wisdom here and there are others here that also grow and create medicine for their loved ones. Sounds like you have a lot of experience and wisdom too. You've come to the right place! Welcome and blessings on your harvests and medicines this year.

Yes. And it doesn't really matter. Some are nicer than others for the skin, but oil is oil. I happened to use hemp seed oil, but you could use coconut oil, or C8 MCT oil, which is derived from coconut oil and is tasteless and odorless, or olive oil, or emu oil, lol. Any you like. I recently got a Levo to make my life easier, but I infused the old-fashioned way for years. Most carrier oils can be infused in roughly the same way. You 1) cover and decarboxylate the dried material in the oven. I do it for 240 degrees fahrenheight for 40 minutes, but people vary in what they say is appropriate. I don't really think it matters as long as you cook it long enough and don't get near the evaporation point for THC (314 fahrenheight) or CBD (320-356 fahrenheight); 2) Cover the material with your carrier oil and let it cook at low heat in your crock pot (4-6 hours) or your double boiler (6-8 hours). You don't want it to get much hotter than between 180-200 degrees F. You can pretty much bind cannabis to anything with lipids (fats); 3) strain and push out all the oil into a container. Get ready for it to make your house smell, though.
Good afternoon my friend @Semiosis hope you are well today.
I have a question by @7thSense you might be better equipped to answer than me could you have a look please?
Thank you.
I'll try post the link , it's on my profile page.

Stay safe
Bill

Welcome to 420 Magazine @Semiosis

Have you grown anything before?
Do you prefer soil, water, or something else?

If you get around to it start a grow journal so we can follow along. I have been thinking of doing this for a while.

How to Make a Grow Journal

Also, after you have over 50 post you can vote or enter our contest to win free grow stuff from our sponsors.

Stay safe, and grow well my friend,

Tok.. :bong:

Welcome to 420 Magazine @Semiosis

Have you grown anything before?
Do you prefer soil, water, or something else?

If you get around to it start a grow journal so we can follow along. I have been thinking of doing this for a while.

How to Make a Grow Journal

Also, after you have over 50 post you can vote or enter our contest to win free grow stuff from our sponsors.

Stay safe, and grow well my friend,

Tok.. :bong:
Hey, Tokin roll. I admit I'm not an adept grower, although I've been growing the same clones from the same mothers for about five years. I've grown hydroponics, and right now I grow in dirt and clone. I just do a whole lot and some of it turns out and I lose a portion to spider mites because I don't want to use pesticides and I really don't like neem--I read a study it was making people sick, and I've got a kid with sensitivities that are off the charts. I know I could do better, but it's always been catch-as-catch-can because I need cbd on hand for a seizure disorder, a daily requirement I have to meet. Honestly, I wish someone else could grow it for me and deliver pounds, lol.

Welcome. My wife and I are both medical patients, she has autoimmune issues. I’m interested in your methods.
Hey Sctanley007. Autoimmune is tough, especially now. I'd be happy to talk about it. I use both cbd and thc to treat behavior in autism, as well as epilepsy, and then also myoclonus--muscle spasms--for someone with multiple sclerosis, as well as pain/insomnia for my dad, who has a very aggressive form of Parkinson's. I make soaps and creams for eczema and psoriasis, and it can help some with edema, since the compound brings blood to the surface and gets it going. I've even made low-dose treats that worked well for dogs with seizures. I've also found it helps with attention deficit disorder, migraines (primarily thc, surprisingly enough, although there's a topical with lavender that can also help) and restless leg. I kind of got on the forum because there are people who are doing medical treatment and I've been out here on my own desperately figuring stuff out for years--mostly how to get it from a raw form into something my people can take, getting the dosing right, and making it palatable and effective. I wouldn't mind talking to other people who have also found ways to do stuff. I don't think there's really completely wrong or right ways. I think there's what works, lol. Thanks for the welcome. -semiosis

Hey @Semiosis I've been battling spider mites off and on for a few years and after numerous sprays, remedies, predatory mites, voodoo and such I finally found a CLEAN safe way to beat them!!!
I ordered some predatory mites from arbico organics BUT the trick is to call them and ask which species is ideal for your environment. I had previously tried some I ordered off Amazon and they were barely alive when they arrived in the mail.
Within a few days of introducing the arbico predators my veg tent was mite free. Unfortunately my bloom tent was too far gone but since I was close to harvest I just finished the sad looking girls and decarbed all the bud anyway.
BUT the trick is to order a large amount of mites the first time and then a small amount every two weeks for a month or so to handle any newly hatched pests.
It's a little pricey and shipping bugs is expensive BUT I was getting so desperate to save my garden and more so my genetics that it was worth it. Since then I ordered some nematodes and rove beetles to take care of any soil pests too

Speaking of saving genetics... have you considered making feminized seeds from one of your special clones? Apparently it's super easy. I bought some of the colloidal silver for $25 online and am planning on putting it on some of our favorites so I don't have to keep extra moms around

Wow on both counts. That would be amazing. I'm going to look into the predatory mites, definitely. I have lost so much to them. Where I live in s. Oregon, they are super-mites that would probably live through an atomic blast, but I bet they wouldn't dodge being eaten. I didn't even know you could make feminized seeds, and I'm always anxious I"m going to get hit and lose the strain. Thanks so much. I'll do some research and get back to say how it went. Thanks again--that's great information.

great stuff. i hope you stick around and do a journal. make sure to post up your processes and recipes. we could use more content on that focus.

i've been infusing oils for years for use in pills and topicals. i recently adapted to an instant pot method and love the results and simplicity. i run 1:1 cbd/thc strains and thc focused strains.

i use grapeseed oil for the topicals as it is super low skin barrier and penetrates easily. i build my topicals with palm and shea butters, and add other essential oils. i stabilize it for the shelf with organic beeswax.

I really don't like neem--I read a study it was making people sick, and I've got a kid with sensitivities that are off the charts.

if used as a spray in veg it should be ok. it's when it's used as a drench then sensitive folk will have issues.
it's used in hair products / shampoo all the time, so maybe watch for that as well.

it's supposedly safe as a spray up to the second wk of flower. i don't use it in flower though. and try to eradicate any mite issues in veg.

Exactly! I live in a tropical area of the US a few miles from the world's largest swamp and my bugs must be super tough because nothing seemed to kill them and most of the solutions offered were bottles of water with a few drops of garlic or rosemary oil which apparently my mites found delicious aaahh!!

Back
Top Bottom