Farside05's Northern Lights Auto - Soilless Mix - LED - Grow Journal 2015

Day 26 from seed / Day 23 from sprout

All the girls are looking happy and healthy. They have passed the 3 week mark now and the growth rate is starting to pick up. Other than that, not too much to report. Here's the latest pics.

Alexis
nl_Alexis.jpg

Carmella
nl_Carmella.jpg

Gianna
nl_Gianna.jpg

Katie
nl_Katie.jpg

Riley
nl_Riley.jpg

Group From Above
nl_GroupAbove.jpg

Group From Side
nl_GroupSide.jpg

Day 28 from seed/25 from sprout

The girls were pretty dried out this AM so they got another drink. Increased the nutes to 3/4 tsp of Foliage-Pro and 1/4 tsp of Pro-Tekt per gallon. They all got 1.5 liters to drink. We'll see how that agrees/disagrees with them. The growth rate continues to increase not only at the top of the plant, but there is a solid amount of undergrowth. We're not even close to flowering yet and the smell is becoming more noticeable. Its not totally offensive, but not wanting to bring any unwanted attention either. I have a filter on the way to combat the problem.

Day 30 from seed/Day 27 from sprout

Got my filter yesterday and had a chance to install it today. Two of the girls showed their 1st pistils yesterday. They seemed to like the drink they got 2 days ago with the increased nutes. They grew over an inch in the 2 day interval and consumed much of the water. The pots are already getting lighter. Was able to tuck a few fan leaves on the bigger plants to expose more of the undergrowth.

The new filter installed in the tent
nl_Filter.JPG

Alexis
nl_Alexis1.JPG

Carmella
nl_Carmella1.JPG

Gianna
nl_Gianna1.JPG

Katie
nl_Katie1.JPG

Riley
nl_Riley1.JPG

Group
nl_Group.JPG

plants r looking great man ,totally taking off , it's the perfect time to top them if ur planning on doing it
as for the filter i'm no expert so i'll ask u few questions if it's possible , because i installed mine differently
it is supposed to filter the air going out the tent right ? so i connected it to the duct which is connected to the ventilation fan and going out the tent , i actually put the filter outside the tent . but how about urs ? what is it connected to ?

Thanks. It's pretty amazing. I look at them about every 12 hours and you can notice the difference each time. I do not plan on topping them. Although it is debated, the general consensus is that you don't top autos. Reason being, the plant has a defined life period (ie 10 weeks), and anything that stresses it and stunts its growth over that time period is days you can't get back and it hurts your yield. I'm going to stick to other low stress training methods instead. As for the filter, yes it should filter the air exiting the tent. I guess the placement of the filter, either inside the tent or outside the tent, is not important, as long as its filtering the air exiting the tent. However, I have read that filters work best when air is drawn in from the outside (fan is creating a vacuum) rather than air blowing out of them. Therefore, its probably best to have the filter in the tent, since most filter designs have 1 end capped, the only way the filter can have air drawn into it is to be inside the tent. Having it on the outside would mean that air would be being forced out of the filter. It may not be possible for everyone to have a filter inside their tent, based on size constraints, and I'm sure that having one outside with air blowing out of it is still better than having none at all. All that given, my setup goes filter, fan, ducting to exit the tent.

Thanks. It's pretty amazing. I look at them about every 12 hours and you can notice the difference each time. I do not plan on topping them. Although it is debated, the general consensus is that you don't top autos. Reason being, the plant has a defined life period (ie 10 weeks), and anything that stresses it and stunts its growth over that time period is days you can't get back and it hurts your yield. I'm going to stick to other low stress training methods instead. As for the filter, yes it should filter the air exiting the tent. I guess the placement of the filter, either inside the tent or outside the tent, is not important, as long as its filtering the air exiting the tent. However, I have read that filters work best when air is drawn in from the outside (fan is creating a vacuum) rather than air blowing out of them. Therefore, its probably best to have the filter in the tent, since most filter designs have 1 end capped, the only way the filter can have air drawn into it is to be inside the tent. Having it on the outside would mean that air would be being forced out of the filter. It may not be possible for everyone to have a filter inside their tent, based on size constraints, and I'm sure that having one outside with air blowing out of it is still better than having none at all. All that given, my setup goes filter, fan, ducting to exit the tent.

Ah i understand , thanks for explaining man :volcano-smiley:

Day 35 from seed/Day 32 from sprout

OK, sooner or later I was bound to make a rookie mistake. On 10-20 I upped the nutes to 3/4 tsp per gallon and fed the girls. They were thirsty again on 10-24 and I dropped it back to 1/2 tsp per gallon. I probably should have just given them PH'd water that time. Directions for the nutes say 1/4 tsp every watering for "maintenance" and 1 tsp per week for "production". I assumed "maintenance" was for sustaining a fully grown house plant and "production" was for a developing/growing plant. I also don't have a PPM meter (might need to get one), but on the bottom of the fertilizer label I see that 1/2 tsp per gallon is 1.5 EC. So 3/4 tsp would be 2.25 EC. Ooops! Anyway, I think I got a small bit of nute burn. It seems mostly confined to the fan leaves on the 2 biggest plants. Today I gave them a good watering of plain 6.0 PH'd water. Run off came out .1 lower PH than what went in, so I think I'm still good there. I'll give them a couple days to make sure the burn doesn't progress and then reevaluate.

Nute Burn
nl_NuteBurn.jpg

Alexis
nl_Alexis3.jpg

Carmella
nl_Carmella3.jpg

Gianna
nl_Gianna3.jpg

Katie
nl_Katie3.jpg

Riley
nl_Riley3.jpg

Day 38 from seed/Day 35 from sprout

Did a little defoliation today of the burnt leaves. Buds are starting to show. Figuring on starting bloom nutes in about a week.

Alexis
nl_Alexis4.jpg

Carmella
nl_Carmella4.jpg

Gianna
nl_Gianna4.jpg

Katie
nl_Katie4.jpg

Riley
nl_Riley4.jpg

Group
nl_Group1.jpg

Maybe I'm over critical of myself. I'm not super impressed. Pissed at myself I got greedy and tried pushing too much nutes at them and burnt the babies. On future grows I'll stick with the "maintenance" dose of 1/4 tsp per gallon of Foliage-Pro unless they start showing nitrogen deficiency. At that rate they were all green and lush. Lessons learned the hard way I guess.

Maybe I'm over critical of myself. I'm not super impressed. Pissed at myself I got greedy and tried pushing too much nutes at them and burnt the babies. On future grows I'll stick with the "maintenance" dose of 1/4 tsp per gallon of Foliage-Pro unless they start showing nitrogen deficiency. At that rate they were all green and lush. Lessons learned the hard way I guess.

I've done the same thing so you're in good company.

Day 41 from seed/Day 38 from sprout

Flushed the girls today with 9 gallons each of 6.0 PH'd water to prepare to switch to bloom nutes. Took off some more of the nute burned leaves. I'll let them dry out a bit before feeding them.

GroupDay41.jpg

Hmm, been looking things over. Thinking now that maybe my issues are Potassium lockout rather than Nitrogen burn. For my soiless mix I probably should have been targeting a PH of 5.5 rather than 6-6.2. One more thing learned to NOT do on my next grow.

Day 51 from seed/48 from sprout

OK, its been 10 days since i posted. On Day 42/39 I decided to give them 1/2 tsp of bloom nutes because I thought they may have been mineral deficient. On Day 48/45 they were dry enough for a full feeding based on a feed schedule from Dyna-Gro that I modified slightly (image below) based on Week 7. Today they got a drink of plain PH'd water. They are making a rebound. I'm sure my previous abuses are going to cost me in production, but live and learn. Looking forward to the next grow already and trying out this new feed schedule from the beginning. Ordered seeds for the next go around this AM. Still got to finish this grow out yet. Here's some photo's of where they are now.

Group
nl_Group11-12.jpg

Bud 1
nl_Bud1-11-12.jpg

Bud 2
nl_Bud2-11-12.jpg

New Feed Schedule
FeedSchedule.jpg

Back
Top Bottom