Fire OG - JD Lightings

Re: Fire OG - BPN x JD Lightings - Joint Ops

Well... the clone didn't make it... it wilted over and croaked... So I think it is safe to say that the rooting powder doesn't work... or at least for me still doesn't... 4 clones and no roots...

Fire OG,
SHE IS IN LOVE :circle-of-love:

BPN is rockin her pot! :morenutes: she is growing out nicely still. The bulb situation has been fixed finally and it will be here on Tuesday if not sooner. I got a tracking number and everything now. So I will be flowering real soon!

I will take some snaps of the Fire so you all can see where she is now.

:peacetwo:

Sorry about the clone bud. I know I I killed my fair share of them and sure I will probably lose more but each time I learn something and improve on it. I know you will do the same.

Let's get that light and get this :party: rockin.

Welcome back brotha! Glad to see your back. Can't wait to see what you have in store for us this season.

Thanks Man! Should be an interesting season, although this time around I am only growing GDP and Blue Cheese from clones of last year's crop.

Hey! I wanted to chime in on the cloning discussion with something...

My recent session to clone out my GDP and Blue Cheese cuttings for this year's grow ran for 33 days! This was in my Turbo Klone T48 with all the best stuff to add to the water etc. as they progressed. Temp, PH and whatnot closely monitored

Problem is... Some strains are really hard and nearly impossible to clone even with a professional rig like what I have. The bugger in this session was the Blue Cheese, which just like last year is very stubborn about growing roots and seems to take forvever! For one thing, you need to cut about four times as many cuttings as you actually want to keep , cause you will loose some over the long process. Also... some root faster than others depending on where on the plant they were cut from, and other unkown forces. Best to stack the deck in your favor with quantity and cuttings from all over the mother plant, for the best odds! :)

I learned from last time to just keep the thing going, keep the PH right, temp right, give them some Roots Excelerator at day 8, 15 and 25 and just keep it going until they finally pop! My first BC rooted at day 26, with the other four following suit up until day 33. Even after all that time, I still had to throw out four perfectly good looking cuttings that even after all that time still had no sign of root buds or anything, even though the top side of the cutting looked just as healthy and green as the ones with root spikes.

GDP isn't terribly fast either, taking about 25 days to root about 70% of what I put in originally. So these two strains actually make good bedfellows in a cloning session. I got my first GDP rooted at day 18 I believe. Can't remember exactly, but it is in my journal back several pages.

Bottom line... You can't always go by that 15 day rule cause in my experience, some strains take way longer than that even under ideal circumstances. If you can afford to give them the extra time, definitely do it.

If you don't have a cloner though, strains like Blue Cheese should be avoided, since I seriously doubt you could ever root them in Rockwool or other static methods before they died.

:Namaste:

Thanks Man! Should be an interesting season, although this time around I am only growing GDP and Blue Cheese from clones of last year's crop.

Hey! I wanted to chime in on the cloning discussion with something...

My recent session to clone out my GDP and Blue Cheese cuttings for this year's grow ran for 33 days! This was in my Turbo Klone T48 with all the best stuff to add to the water etc. as they progressed. Temp, PH and whatnot closely monitored

Problem is... Some strains are really hard and nearly impossible to clone even with a professional rig like what I have. The bugger in this session was the Blue Cheese, which just like last year is very stubborn about growing roots and seems to take forvever! For one thing, you need to cut about four times as many cuttings as you actually want to keep , cause you will loose some over the long process. Also... some root faster than others depending on where on the plant they were cut from, and other unkown forces. Best to stack the deck in your favor with quantity and cuttings from all over the mother plant, for the best odds! :)

I learned from last time to just keep the thing going, keep the PH right, temp right, give them some Roots Excelerator at day 8, 15 and 25 and just keep it going until they finally pop! My first BC rooted at day 26, with the other four following suit up until day 33. Even after all that time, I still had to throw out four perfectly good looking cuttings that even after all that time still had no sign of root buds or anything, even though the top side of the cutting looked just as healthy and green as the ones with root spikes.

GDP isn't terribly fast either, taking about 25 days to root about 70% of what I put in originally. So these two strains actually make good bedfellows in a cloning session. I got my first GDP rooted at day 18 I believe. Can't remember exactly, but it is in my journal back several pages.

Bottom line... You can't always go by that 15 day rule cause in my experience, some strains take way longer than that even under ideal circumstances. If you can afford to give them the extra time, definitely do it.

If you don't have a cloner though, strains like Blue Cheese should be avoided, since I seriously doubt you could ever root them in Rockwool or other static methods before they died.

:Namaste:

I'm sorry I disagree with you totally. I rooted BC in a peat pellet with schultz rooting powder in less than 10 days I believe. So buy into your hype that you need this and that at this day. KISS is all you need. :peace:

Some strains will take longer than others I have noticed but I think a few great growers here have shown me that find what works for you and roll with it.

Yes mine was from Big Buddha yours was from somewhere in Cali. The point I was trying to make is just "KISS".

Yep. These here are from my original BC (Pictured in my avatar photo) which was grown from seed stock bred by Medicinal Organics Nursery. It has ALWAYS been a tough strain to clone. Back when I was cloning half a dozen strains, I was getting roots on some as early as 7 days, but these always took forever, with the GDP a close second.

Now that I am down to only the GDP and the BC, my cloning runs are double and triple what they were with easier to clone strains involved.

In terms of KISS... Sometimes you can't. If you are trying to perpetuate a clone only strain like the Ken's Cut GDP I have here or this seed grown BC which are a bitch to root, the simple approach that you are using would most likely fail.

There is a place for a professional cloner in situations like this, cause you need the nutrient bath approach to keep them alive long enough for them to do their thing. ;)

If you ever run into problems with a new strain that keeps dying on you, you will know what I am referring to. ;)

I thought that Aston's attemps just might be with a hard to clone strain like these. There are a lot of them out there. I often wonder if the breeders of these strains actually breed this trait into them to protect their investments. LOL! ;)

P.S. As you know...I am a strong believer in the KISS approach for every other aspect of raising these plants, but in this one area, I've gotten far better results with the more sophisticated methods.

Thank you both for your inputs. I love getting different side experiences, this is why I love growing as well, you can try out so many different things.

Goldengoose7,
I am not sure on Fire OG if it is a hard cloner or not, but I didn't follow any 15 day rule, I would have gladly left it in that pellet for 2 months just to try for those damn roots, but it wilted of and died. So no helping it there... LOL... I think that I will have better luck when I make my aero cloner or I might try out the gel and see if I have better luck with that.

OK update time.

Concerns:
OK, Last height update I did, she had gotten to the 19 inch mark... with the pix that are following this, she is only at 19 1/2 inches tall. Thinking that it might be the lights keeping her down, I moved the lights up more. Now remember I am using CFL, and I now have them about a good 8 - 10 inches above the top of the plant and last night she grew another 1/2 inch or so, lights on today and she is over the 20inch mark now... so with that said I tested the temp of area around the lights and where the heat would get trapped under the hood. The temps near the bulbs was a whopping 89.7 degrees. NOT GOOD, I remember reading that plants will have a hard time growing in 80+ temps.
So I am thinking that the lights were keeping them down, which is weird cus they say you should keep CFL's right on top of the plants canopy. Maybe if I get rid of the hood and put the lights down like drop lights, this will eliminate the heat build up and I can drop the lights closer again...

I don't know, it's not a big concern of mine right at the moment. I have my HPS bulb on the way as we speak and it will be dropped off here on Tuesday! I can't wait, I have been waiting on it since this journal go started and we already 4 pages deep...

Well anyways, here are a couple of photos of the Fire.

Fire OG
F1_33012.jpg
F2_33012.jpg
F3_33012.jpg

Tuesday is the scheduled day for the bulbs delivery, and Wednesday is now the scheduled day for Day 1 Flower! Gotta flower her before summer heat gets the best of my AC.

cfl's do run a little hot
not as hot as those hid's but
the flouro tubes run alot cooler than the cfl's. plants can be right on the flouro tubes without heat problems, i dont think thats possible with cfls, as you probably have already noticed.....

Thank you both for your inputs. I love getting different side experiences, this is why I love growing as well, you can try out so many different things.

Goldengoose7,
I am not sure on Fire OG if it is a hard cloner or not, but I didn't follow any 15 day rule, I would have gladly left it in that pellet for 2 months just to try for those damn roots, but it wilted of and died. So no helping it there... LOL... I think that I will have better luck when I make my aero cloner or I might try out the gel and see if I have better luck with that.

While I have often cloned cuttings from my pepper plants using Rockwool, I had really bad luck trying to clone any of my Cannabis using the same methods.

That's when I bought the Turbo Klone and I went from 10% success rate to nearly 100% success rate with the same strains.

As I said above... If you happen to have a hard to clone strain, or one that shocks easily when cut, then an aerocloner is by far the best way to go. I wouldn't have any BC clones today, and just a handful of GDP clones if I didn't have the T48! :thumb:

Speaking of which... My first clone out of the T48 was becoming root bound, so I was forced to transplant it into a 5 gallon Air Pot today. I had hoped that I could get another several inches of growth in the original pot, but the plant knows best, and it was showing the text book signs of becoming root bound. (Droopy leaves that resembles over watering) When I popped the plant out of the original pot, it had a dense root ball at the bottom that had already circled several times, so it was definitely time! I'll post some photos of that one in my next update later this weekend.

Good luck with your aerocloner project! Now that I have become very familiar with the inner workings of my T48, I can see that it wouldn't be that difficult to make you own. The key is using the same jets that the T48 or EZClone uses, which you can easily find on the web.

I prefer the T48 style jets. They are a little larger and don't clog as easily. :)

P.S. I use Clonex cloning gel on my cuttings and prefer it over other brands and definitely over the powder. In the cloner, it just ends up getting washed off the cuttings and into the water, but that's fine, cause it mixes into the water and gets sprayed back onto the cuttings via the jets.

You definitely should be using some kind of rooting hormone, and the gel gives complete coverage over the stems, and in Rockwool, it doesn't break down as fast, so the hormone in the gel stays in constant contact with the plant.

So I do believe that my theory was correct, over night... another inch growth... So as of 20 minutes ago, I took the hood off. The tent should be reflective enough to bounce the light everywhere. It's all good, I will have my HPS in a few more days, then it's on to flowering! :thumb:

Oh man! so am I. :thumb:

Very exciting, very exciting. I got the bulb and it has been on for about 9 hours now. So far, so good.

Soldiers in Joint Ops,
I have tested my ballast on its operating temps. As of right now, I am showing readings as follows:

Top Ballast: 106*F
Right Ballast: 103*F
Left Ballast: 117*F​
This is with the dial facing me

Is this normal temps for the ballast? Please let me know brotha's.

Pix coming soon, should be uploading tonight if not tomorrow. Lot on my plate at the moment. Trying my hardest to juggle a lot right now...

EDIT: BTW, for note purposes, 12/12 starts today, Lights on at 9AM Lights off at 9PM no more GLR interruption at 2:30 - 3:30.

OK, I didn't feel like waiting on these...
F3_4312.jpg
F1_4312.jpg

Now a concern of mine, the plant is not liking the light so much, she is drooping bad... her soil is still moist, should I do a watering anyways? I remember back last season, my Afgoo's would do this same thing when they were do dry in the soil, which was every day...
F2_4312.jpg

What do you all think??? Needing help, this is my very first HPS. Don't want to have a fail in my books...
It's about to be lights out in 20 minutes, so I need to know what to do tomorrow if the problem persists...

No, all the tops are doing that... The soil feels dry on the first 2 inches and then lite moisture is under that. Light is about a good 18 - 20 inches... it can't go any higher...

Back
Top Bottom