First Ever Grow - But The Coolest Little Micro Grow Around - Spring 2016

So she's damn near doubled in size. When I flipped the lights she was 5.5". Today when the lights cam on she is 10.5". I decided not to put the screen in yet. I know, I'm being horribly indecisive. I kinda want to see how close she can get to lights before it starts negatively affecting her. At the same time, I'm concerned that I'm going to go out there one day and she'll be touching the ceiling. Assuming she grows 5" more she'll be 9" from the light. Decisions decisions....

Anyway, what you came to see...

IMG_097335.JPG

IMG_097134.JPG

IMG_096937.JPG

Meh, the pictures don't do a very good job of showing how she's completely filling the space. That's another consideration, its not like I need a screen for her to fill the space.

Also the pH had been sitting at 6.1 so I dropped it down to 5.4 today. 700 ppm and res temp of 64F about 15 minutes after the lights came on. Temps are staying reasonable. Got to 82F yesterday. 62F last night. Humidity staying around 50%.

So after more thought, I don't think I'm going to put a screen in. I think I really want to let it go and find the limits of this set up. Worst case scenario, it grows up to the ceiling and burns and then I have to trim it back and tie it down. Then next grow I will have a better idea what to expect from the strain and the box. Yeah, that's what I'll do.

I was going to say the same as Noob. You could start some LST. The fridge is pretty small, so you are going to need to do something at some point. Whether that's the screen, LST or HST. Once you start training though, growing becomes even more addictive. Something about being elbow deep in the garden is just peaceful and relaxing.

Subbed.

Does that fridge still work?

What are the heatsinks on the outside for? Are they connected to peltier coolers or something? Is that really a tiny DWC in there???

V:bongrip:

Welcome.
Does that fridge still work?
Yes. That was the whole idea of moving into a fridge, to keep the temps down. Its an "all fridge" with no freezer section, so its just a big cold plate the along the back of the fridge.
What are the heatsinks on the outside for? Are they connected to peltier coolers or something? Is that really a tiny DWC in there???

V:bongrip:
The walls were getting really hot, like 120F, so I put the heat sinks on to help dissipate some of that and hopefully reduce some of the workload on the fridge. Its seems to have worked.

Yes, its a small DWC.

I was going to say the same as Noob. You could start some LST. The fridge is pretty small, so you are going to need to do something at some point. Whether that's the screen, LST or HST. Once you start training though, growing becomes even more addictive. Something about being elbow deep in the garden is just peaceful and relaxing.

You could start tying the branches down now if you want. Might help with the stretch.
Yeah I'll figure something out. I was reading also about defoiling in flower and the timing of it. Seems one method is to trim 15 days in and it will stunt the stretch a bit. Still more reading to do.

Hi Jayne!

I'm a newb here, and a hydro newb, and I just managed to find my way here, and subscribe.

I like your creativity and your "learn from everything" attitude. I think that's an excellent combo. :bravo:

I'm thinking about scrogging too, and I think it may have some compelling benefits. If you want, mosey on over to my grow journal and see what you think. :hug:

I'm wondering if you want to get to blooming ASAP? And do something so that the buds have room to grow and stretch? Just newbie inquiry here.

Again, props on your clever grow and attitude. Happy growing!

Hey jayne c

I was also wondering if you actually had the fridge running, the best way to cool is to exchange air quickly.

Having a cold plate at the back is going to condense moisture like a steamed up mirror, raising humidity levels which you may find to be an issue as you get later into flower.

I'm subbing in for this anyway I'll try help you out as best I can along the way :)

Keep up the good work

GreenFingers

Hi Jayne!

I'm a newb here, and a hydro newb, and I just managed to find my way here, and subscribe.

I like your creativity and your "learn from everything" attitude. I think that's an excellent combo. :bravo:

I'm thinking about scrogging too, and I think it may have some compelling benefits. If you want, mosey on over to my grow journal and see what you think. :hug:

I'm wondering if you want to get to blooming ASAP? And do something so that the buds have room to grow and stretch? Just newbie inquiry here.

Again, props on your clever grow and attitude. Happy growing!
Appreciate the compliments.

I switched them to a 12/12 schedule already. They've been in flower mode for 8 days now, and the stretch is in full effect as she's doubled in size in that time.

Hey jayne c

I was also wondering if you actually had the fridge running, the best way to cool is to exchange air quickly.

Having a cold plate at the back is going to condense moisture like a steamed up mirror, raising humidity levels which you may find to be an issue as you get later into flower.

I'm subbing in for this anyway I'll try help you out as best I can along the way :)

Keep up the good work

GreenFingers
The problem is I'm in basically a sub-tropical climate. Temps are high and ambient humidity is generally above 90%. Circulating 90F air with 99% humidity air through the box just didn't seem like it was going to have the desired effect, not to mention trying to stay as stealth as possible. Moving the box into the a/c isn't an option at the moment. So, I figured move the a/c into the box. I have 2 dehumidifiers running and RH is staying at 40-50%. Early on when I had fans actively circulating the air the cold plate was getting massive condensation and freezing up. So, I stopped the fans and things seem to have stabilized. In fact, I'v closed off more of my intake vent today because I notived when I placed the cover box (box I use to camoflage the grow box) up against the intake temps stayed lower, and the plant still seems to be doing fine. My guess is that due to the temperature difference between inside and outside the fridge, that hot air is constantly coming in the top (which was initially supposed to be my exhaust vent) and pushing the cool air out the bottom vent. That's just my guess though.

I've also added a johnson automatic thermostat which shuts the fridge off when it reaches a certain temp. So at night it gets cool enough to shot off for small increments of time, which allows any ice that built up on the cold plate during the day to melt off.

Anyway, all that is just to say that I didn't just randomly decide to stuff it into a fridge and see what happens. Its all been out of necessity. It seems to be working out well so far, except it is getting quite cramped in there.

Also, this was only meant as explanation. I am not at all offended by your comments or concerns and mean no offense by mine. I only add this because it is often difficult to judge tone through text. All observations, comments, and or advice is encouraged and welcomed. The biggest reason I came here and started a journal was to get others opinions and input. Please keep them coming. :)

A couple of pics of the cold plate.
IMG_098435.JPG
IMG_098332.JPG

So I decided to add a screen (modified wire fridge shelf) last night. Ygrette still has a bit of growing to do to get fully into it. If she keeps going at the rate she has been though she'll be through it in no time.
IMG_098837.JPG

Also, decided to restric the door vent a bit more and see what happens.
IMG_098628.JPG

Changed the reservoir today. 2 gallons of distilled water with 30cc of bloom and 10cc of ProTekt (both Dyna-gro). Set the pH to 5.1 and had a ppm of 890.

I only meant my comments positively :) Great that you seem to be on top of things

5.1 PH is very low, for DWC your PH should be between 5.7 and 6.0 :)

Keep up the good work

GreenFingers
Hmmm...I could have sworn I read somewhere 5.1-6.1. I could certainly be wrong, as my memory isn't so trustworthy anymore. This is the first time I've set it that low because it always seems to climb to 6.1 in just a day or so. Off to research!

Back
Top Bottom