First Ever Grow - But The Coolest Little Micro Grow Around - Spring 2016

If you adjusted the PH and accidentally went to 5.1 , let it go.

It will naturally creep up in a matter of hours. Don't over do the PH adjustments because that adds more salt to your res.

Interesting setup!

V:bongrip:

hey hi, looking good and no worries if there is a problem. like Babe Ruth said every strike gets me closer to a home run. Here is an idea, could you lift the top of your rez then (diabolical look) cut the fricking rez down by a third or more? Just knife that sob right under the area where it flares out a tad slit the cut piece vertically and remove it lower the cover and bingo more head space. I am an arborist. we are always cutting things.

hey hi, looking good and no worries if there is a problem. like Babe Ruth said every strike gets me closer to a home run. Here is an idea, could you lift the top of your rez then (diabolical look) cut the fricking rez down by a third or more? Just knife that sob right under the area where it flares out a tad slit the cut piece vertically and remove it lower the cover and bingo more head space. I am an arborist. we are always cutting things.
I like the way you think. I think I want to maintain as much volume in the res as possible though. I think the couple inches can be managed at the top of the plant, but we'll see.

Great that you got the PH in range, we can all be forgetful sometimes :)

In my experience when the PH is rising fast the EC usually needs to be raised

Is the EC dropping while PH rising?

This can be an indicator that your plant is eating more nutrients than drinking water.

EC rising PH dropping - drinking more water than eating nutrients.

I usually have my EC set high enough that my PH rises from 5.7 to 6.0 over the space of 2 - 3 days while the EC drops slowly or stays stable.

Hope this information was useful to you :thumb:

GreenFingers

Great that you got the PH in range, we can all be forgetful sometimes :)

In my experience when the PH is rising fast the EC usually needs to be raised

Is the EC dropping while PH rising?

This can be an indicator that your plant is eating more nutrients than drinking water.

EC rising PH dropping - drinking more water than eating nutrients.

I usually have my EC set high enough that my PH rises from 5.7 to 6.0 over the space of 2 - 3 days while the EC drops slowly or stays stable.

Hope this information was useful to you :thumb:

GreenFingers
Yes the ppms drop as the pH rises. Ppm and ec are more or less interchangeable, right?

In this context, basically the same thing yes :)

GreenFingers
So speaking of ppm, something weird is happening. After res change yesterday morning, ppm was 890. Last night is was 920, and this morning it was 940. WTF? pH went from 5.5 to 5.6, so no biggie there. Is this something that just happens sometime? Hmmm...maybe its time to calibrate my pen. That's probably the most obvious place to start.

Ec stands for electrical conductivity

Fertilizers (dissolved ionic salts) conduct electrical current when in solution. The ions in an ionic compound are held together by ionic bonds. These ions "cation" (+ positive) and "anion" (— negative) have positive and negative charges that attract one another and bond. Nutrient (salts) concentrations are measured by their ability to conduct electricity through a solution. A dissolved salts meter measures the overall concentration or strength of a nutrient solution. For example, pure distilled water has no resistance and conducts virtually no electrical current. When nutrients (dissolved ionic salts) are added to pure distilled water it conducts electricity. A greater concentration of nutrients in solution conducts more electricity.

Irrigation water is often full of ionic salts that affect the uptake of nutrients.

Several scales are currently used to measure how much electricity is conducted by nutrients including: Electrical Conductivity (EC), Conductivity Factor (CF), Parts per Million (ppm), Total Dissolved Solids (TDS), and Dissolved Solids (DS). Most US gardeners use ppm to measure overall fertilizer concentration. European, Australian, and New Zealand gardeners use EC, however they still use CF in parts of Australia and New Zealand.

Glad to see she's balancing out :)

The reservoir should follow the rules of EC stable or slowly descending while PH steadily rises indicating the correct concentration of nutrients or EC rising and PH Lowering which just indicates drinking more water and not eating as much so nutrients should be lowered.

If something odd is happening like the EC rising while PH is rising it can indicate something is wrong such as buildups, e.g just say your nutrients have more nitrogen than the plants want to consume in relation to other nutrients , every time the res is topped up with water and nutes it would raise the concentration of N in relation to P an K changing the balance in the water, Its usually better to wait a little to see if it begins to balance out like you did but if there are unusual swings like this you might just be time to drain and refresh your res with clean water and nutrients to the correct level and things begin to balance out :)

Ideally you would drain and refresh the reservoir once a week to prevent build-ups or lockouts

For anyone who is interested in learning more about EC PPM TDS I have an interesting post on page 4 of my journal in the blue link below

Keep up the good work :thumb:

GreenFingers

She's climbing through the screen. :)

IMG_099031.JPG

To see the green.
IMG_099130.JPG

:passitleft:

soon you will have to cut a new hole in the fridge... for your plant to keep growing :laughtwo:

but don't worry, we'll see when it gets there.

impressive dwc performance comrade

So I couldn't stand it anymore. I was planning on a major defoil on Thurs, which would be day 15 of flower, but I got impatient this morning. There was no airflow, humidity was going crazy, and I could hardly see what was what to try and tuck and organize things. So, without further adeu...

before:
IMG_099530.JPG
IMG_099631.JPG

after:
IMG_099734.JPG
IMG_099833.JPG
IMG_099928.JPG
IMG_100137.JPG

I got a little carried away. I guess we'll find out soon enough if it was too much.

I also have a third dehumidifier on stand by for when it gets thick again. Not sure exactly how I'm going to fit it in there but I'll come up with something if needed.

Ah some breathing room :)

That is quite a lot of foliage to remove at this stage of flower but I doubt you will have any problems, it was better that you done it sooner rather than waited until further into flower, just continue to keep her nice and healthy, you might find she will not eat as much nutrients or drink as much water over the next few days, watch the EC and PH, her pattern may change and you might just need to adjust slightly :)

Out of curiosity, how many ml of water do each of those mini dehumidifiers condense each day ?

Looking good jayne c :thumb:

GreenFingers

The manual says they do 8oz (236.6 mL) per day at 86F and 80% RH. That was another reason I decided to go ahead and defoil. They were sitting below the canopy and not filling up quickly at all. The above and below canopy were like night and day. Below was 70F while above was 83F. Below was reading 60%RH while above was reading 75%. It was definitely time. I will definitely be watching like a hawk the next few days for problems.

Back
Top Bottom