First Grow - Casey Jones - DWC - SCROG - Ice Probe Thermoelectric Chiller

The wf pumping column is easily configured differently.... On your next grow, you could add a recirculating reservoir and keep the bubble bucket aspect and not use a drip for the 6" basket.... With only the ice probe for cooling, the reservoir would need to be insulated, and probably smaller, maybe 2-2-1/2 gal.. but tall enough.... The ice probe would chill the reservoir..... An add back reservoir would keep the level in the grow bucket right at the bottom of the basket.. Check out my last post in the WF thread.... Something like that might work for you...

The wf pumping column is easily configured differently.... On your next grow, you could add a recirculating reservoir and keep the bubble bucket aspect and not use a drip for the 6" basket.... With only the ice probe for cooling, the reservoir would need to be insulated, and probably smaller, maybe 2-2-1/2 gal.. but tall enough.... The ice probe would chill the reservoir..... An add back reservoir would keep the level in the grow bucket right at the bottom of the basket.. Check out my last post in the WF thread.... Something like that might work for you...

I am still trying to keep things as simple as possible. I like just having one bucket. If i was going to go bigger and add more sites I would I would add recirculating res. I want the WF pumping column installed on this set up for the finish. The steady trickle of highly oxygenated nute sol down through my root zone will only benefit me. Journals like yours and scottyballs are the reason I started this and had such high yield expectations. I see no reason, other than not having WF column installed, that this grow wont do 10+ zips. Heading to the big box store soon. Hopefully I will have it done for tonight's picture update.

You really don't need a drip feed Dabbledo. The big roots now in the top can't even absorb the nutes. All the fine feeder hairs are bobbing around in the nute bath. If you must do that a little fountain pump could do the trick. I use a $14 one that's rated for 100gph/454L/hr to pump the nutes through a coil of 3/8" clear plastic tubing in the chiller tank of an office water cooler that was gifted to me. Should do the job for you.

I use the OverDrive by the directions pretty much. I haven't really seen much difference using it and think it needs a couple of the other supplements to get the best out of it. If I can get some cash to spare I'll be getting a few other things AN makes and see if I can up the game another notch or two. Just enough Big Bud left for one more feed then the last of the OD to finish them off. The DWC girl is really rocking colas now at 4.5 weeks and I have some pics to get up in a bit.

Yours are looking real good for 3 weeks and ought to blow up fast now. :thumb:

L8r

Modified WF Kit. I removed the drip-ring and modified the pumping column to have one drip tube (other end is capped). Dremel made quick work of the lid, I was able to just move it off to the side a bit to make the hole and instal the pvc coupling that holds the WF column. Column has a nice steady trickle.

Parts Used:

20150827_224604.jpg

Recirculating top-feed

20150827_234821.jpg

Roots

20150827_235027.jpg

Day23 Flower

20150828_001325.jpg

Subbed.

Nothing beats a proper DWC grow.

Congrats M9

Vlad:bongrip:

:welcome: Comrade, great to have you on board. I've been following your grows. Your experience and tips will be much appreciated.

Not much new to report on my grow. She's back on cruise control. Due to the high cost of my central air running pretty constantly @ 73F, I have had to run room temps a few degrees higher. Tent temps are now 77-81F during the day. I also have the chiller running around the clock to combat higher night time temperatures. At lights on this morning the res temp was 63F

Flower Day 26

20150830_230546.jpg

1/2 of Canopy Arial
20150830_230653.jpg

Buds
20150830_230621.jpg

20150830_230301.jpg

20150830_230311.jpg

Dabb,

I know how you feel about the electricity needed to keep the enviro cool enough for the plant to live but also not go broke on the electric bill! :) My temps are high and my chiller pretty much stays on. The compressor on that thing is so loud! But hey, if it was easy, then street weed would be cheap! lol :)

Running iceprobe 24/7 is making my res too cold. Still tinkering with night time power intervals. I tried running it round the clock and wasn't able to check res temp at lights on, however 2 hrs before lights out the res was at 61F. Brrr a little too cold. Off for 8hrs last night and res was 70F at lights on today. A little more tweaking is needed.

Still cruisin' on auto pilot. I am very tempted to clip smaller nodes low in the canopy. Low growth above screen that I imagine will only be popcorn. Canopy is a good 16in above screen after stretch and training them down. Can my 400w penetrate deep enough to do these bud sites to do any good? Any thoughts?

Flower Day 28

20150901_222604.jpg

20150901_222838.jpg

20150901_223259.jpg

Do you still have the address for the place that was selling the ice probe and controller for around a $100??? I'd buy one for that price.. It would let me run a plant separate from the 3 on the chiller reservoir...

Sup Dr! I found the invoice and I was mistaken on the price. It ended up being 160 with tax and shipping. I cant find that damn invoice now. When I find it i will dm it to you. I know the place I got it from was by far the cheapest source for the iceprobe with controller. Since my controller died from water damage I've been using a timer 1hr on/1hr off intervals during lights off. @ Lights on today the res was at 65F, my target range.

WEDS RES CHANGE

I substituted Sensizym and Voodoo Juice for DM Gold Zone @ 7.5ml/gal. I know, if it ain't broke don't fix it. Now that res is dialed in again I wanted to give it a shot. If I run into any problems I will immediately flush and start over. I can usually see effects of res change 2 hours after change.

Day 29 Flower

Went with my gut and removed some of the lower bud sites. I know this probably makes some people cringe. I have no use for popcorn or larf. It is my opinion that when you cut off these lower growths the plant energy is used elsewhere in the plant. I look at them like parasites bleeding food and energy from my top shelf. I could only safely take ones from the front and around perimeter. I will continue to remove the poor performers as needed.
20150902_204812.jpg

Backbuilding Experiment

I love the results of LA's backbuilding technique. I wonder how early you can start doing this. I know that I'm not at the right stage in flowering to start this technique but am far too curious to see what would happen to a backbuilt now.

Link to LA's tutorial with great before and after pictures.

Cola on right was backbuilt. Not sure if I took enough, gonna take cajones to do it properly.
20150902_204947.jpg

The waterfarm drip ring should never be shut down..... The hydroton is another place for the roots to grow, as long as the drip ring keeps it moist..... the drip rings other job, and probably the most important, is to put oxygen in the water... The wet surface of the hydroton is where the water absorbs oxygen.... A WF can run just fine without any air stones.... I myself favor an air stone, or two because they move the water... This is an example of a well run WF, without any air stones.....

The waterfarm drip ring should never be shut down..... The hydroton is another place for the roots to grow, as long as the drip ring keeps it moist..... the drip rings other job, and probably the most important, is to put oxygen in the water... The wet surface of the hydroton is where the water absorbs oxygen.... A WF can run just fine without any air stones.... I myself favor an air stone, or two because they move the water... This is an example of a well run WF, without any air stones.....

:thumb:

Yeah, I want THAT. I started in a 1in rockwool plug. Do I need to worry about rot at the stem from the medium remaining moist?

The water from the drip ring shouldn't keep it too wet... When i've used rw I pull off any rw that isn't involved with roots... I use a more direct method... Using a cupful of the smallest hydroton pebbles, i place a 3/4"-1" long sprouted seed in a slight depression in the center, and gently cover the root until you can just see the top..An aluminum foil trough under a drip hole takes water straight to the root.... Sometimes i use two... I try to keep the water off the top of the seed... I only use then for a week..
I read a thread somewhere about rooting a big cutting directly in the wf itself...

Back
Top Bottom