First Grow In Over 20 Years! Northern Lights Under 600W LED

I usually rip the branches when I do training. I like to go hard because you can afford some stress in veg.right :D I wrap some paper towel tight around the broken part, then tape. This way you can remove the bandage easier in future and let the stem gain some girth without being constrained by a sticky tape around it.

PS: All of the ripped branches I had so far have recovered. So you can feel optimistic about that :)

I usually rip the branches when I do training. I like to go hard because you can afford some stress in veg.right:D I wrap some paper towel tight around the broken part, then tape. This way you can remove the bandage easier in future and let the stem gain some girth without being constrained by a sticky tape around it.

PS: All of the ripped branches I had so far have recovered. So you can feel optimistic about that :)

That sounds like a very good idea TriangleCheese to wrap the broken stem in paper towel before tape so you can remove it easier. I was trying to decide what tape would be best and I decided on a bandage but your idea seems much better. And yes, it does put my mind at ease knowing that all your branches have recovered! Thanks for the great information! :thumb:

I would be glad if that helps Homer. Just make sure you fix the ripped area tight and enclose the damaged part completely. After 10-12 days you can keep training this branch because it will probably be stronger than ever. It is like supercropping but a more risky and overkill version of it. Damage is big, healing is slow but this will bring a huge girth on that branch. The key is to act fast in these kinds of cases. At least in my experience.

I would be glad if that helps Homer. Just make sure you fix the ripped area tight and enclose the damaged part completely. After 10-12 days you can keep training this branch because it will probably be stronger than ever. It is like supercropping but a more risky and overkill version of it. Damage is big, healing is slow but this will bring a huge girth on that branch. The key is to act fast in these kinds of cases. At least in my experience.

As soon as I read your last post I rechecked my branch to make sure the bandage had the wound completely closed and it does for sure now. I appreciate the time frame reference because I probably would have been checking it every couple days never letting it heal, LOL. So now I will leave it alone for 10 to 12 days and then start retraining it again. Thanks again for the great info!:welldone:On a positive note it doesn't seem to be wilting yet so maybe it has enough stem still attached to pull through despite not wrapping it right away.

Looks great! Congrats!!

As soon as I read your last post I rechecked my branch to make sure the bandage had the wound completely closed and it does for sure now. I appreciate the time frame reference because I probably would have been checking it every couple days never letting it heal, LOL. So now I will leave it alone for 10 to 12 days and then start retraining it again. Thanks again for the great info!:welldone:On a positive note it doesn't seem to be wilting yet so maybe it has enough stem still attached to pull through despite not wrapping it right away.

If there is no wilting, the stem should be OK. I said 10-12 days but if you have time, wait even more. If you check my current journal you can see that I cracked the stem between 2 main nodes while training. I wrapped them quick because I heard the ripping sound as I was stretching the main nodes apart :)

In the past, I had a huge PPP plant and because it got freakishly huge and I was a newbie, I didn't notice the main node ripping after the bud weight got heavy enough to bend a strong main branch. Topped plants have a risk to fail if you don't help them carrying their buds. 2 main tops instead of 1 main top is a weaker structure and definately needs support like SCROG, sticks, etc.. We should keep that in mind as well.

The stem is healthy and strong, so no need to worry. :hug:

Thank you for your consoling words Miss Birdie and you were right because this morning the stem looks healthy and not wilted at all. :Namaste::hug:

Looks great! Congrats!!

Thank you, WaVancouver!! :high-five:

If there is no wilting, the stem should be OK. I said 10-12 days but if you have time, wait even more. If you check my current journal you can see that I cracked the stem between 2 main nodes while training. I wrapped them quick because I heard the ripping sound as I was stretching the main nodes apart :)

In the past, I had a huge PPP plant and because it got freakishly huge and I was a newbie, I didn't notice the main node ripping after the bud weight got heavy enough to bend a strong main branch. Topped plants have a risk to fail if you don't help them carrying their buds. 2 main tops instead of 1 main top is a weaker structure and definately needs support like SCROG, sticks, etc.. We should keep that in mind as well.

Thanks again for more good info TriangleCheese! I will leave the bandage as long as I can and I really hope my colas get big enough so I have a problem with my main nodes ripping!!! lol :thumb: But on a serious note, I will be on the lookout for straining branches in flowering and support them when needed.

Here is a knuckle on my current EM2 when I snapped her in early veg. Taped her up right away and she bounced back after a few days. Today she looks even stronger like this
image.jpg

Here is a knuckle on my current EM2 when I snapped her in early veg. Taped her up right away and she bounced back after a few days. Today she looks even stronger like this
image.jpg
Thanks a lot for posting the photos Dutchman; that is really amazing how well the stem healed in your photos. Very cool....:bravo:

Even if you leave the tape for a week, she wouldn't care.

Thank you Birdie, I will definitely leave the tape for more than a week!!:Namaste::thanks:

Even if you leave the tape for a week, she wouldn't care.

I left the tape on for 2weeks and then gently tore it off. If it’s not to tight you won’t have to worry about it right away just monitor it as the plant grows and remove when you feel it’s at a strong enough point !

These plants are mighty vigorous and want to grow! Give them some love and they will bounce right back!

After this one is healed, you may consider trying supercropping. You'll feel more confident bending these branches :)

I had never actually heard of supercropping before your post so I did a little reading and watched some videos on it. I actually was wondering if you could just bend the stalks instead of going to all the trouble of making a screen like I did.

So if people do supercropping does that keep the canopy down so that you don’t need to use a scrog? If so I wish I knew this a week ago, LOL. I was reading that supercropping increases bud and THC production so is that the advantage over having a screen of green?

I had never actually heard of supercropping before your post so I did a little reading and watched some videos on it. I actually was wondering if you could just bend the stalks instead of going to all the trouble of making a screen like I did.

So if people do supercropping does that keep the canopy down so that you don’t need to use a scrog? If so I wish I knew this a week ago, LOL. I was reading that supercropping increases bud and THC production so is that the advantage over having a screen of green?

You can SCROG and supercrop at the same time. Supercropping is a small boost for buds as you said. Not a complete training on its own. Combined with SCROG, you will only get great results.

You can SCROG and supercrop at the same time. Supercropping is a small boost for buds as you said. Not a complete training on its own. Combined with SCROG, you will only get great results.

Thanks for turning me on to supercropping. I watched a bunch of videos and checked out your great grow journal and am going to keep checking in on it to see how you supercrop your plants. Thanks again for the help!!:thumb:

I will try to do that tomorrow because the branches were kinda dry. They should have some elasticity for proper bending. Otherwise they just break. I think that top will recover easily since I taped it right away.

PS: It's been 6 hours and the top is literally not giving a sh.t :cool: We can say that it is a succesfull but very risky supercropping :laugh:

Here is the bad take on supercropping;

I will try to do that tomorrow because the branches were kinda dry. They should have some elasticity for proper bending. Otherwise they just break. I think that top will recover easily since I taped it right away.

PS: It's been 6 hours and the top is literally not giving a sh.t :cool: We can say that it is a succesfull but very risky supercropping:laugh:

Here is the bad take on supercropping;

Thanks for the tip about supercropping when plant is not so dry. I am definitely going to try some supercropping soon. :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom