sloguy23

I decided it was time to finally stop, or at least slow the rate, of paying for bud so I grabbed 5 random seeds from my bag seed collection and germinated them mid-November (paper towel method).

Plants: random bag seed from my collection
Light: 125 watt 6500k CFL in a Fluorowing by Hydrofarm hood 18/6 veg cycle
Soil: Fox Farms Ocean Forest

Wanting to keep it on the cheap side, I planted the 4 that sprouted into a single pot of soil from a local garden store and put it on my window sill. 2 of them made it out of the soil and are with me today. I got the light first, then picked up a wire shelf rack from the hardware store and built a white cardboard box around it. It has an air intake on the side at the very bottom of the box, an exhaust on the top at the back pointing up, and server fans at both, as well as another server fan moving air around in the box. I re-potted them into their own larger pots with Fox Farms Ocean Forest soil and they seem pretty happy. I made the mistake of neglecting them for a couple weeks right after christmas and letting them get way too tall. About a week ago I tied them down quite a bit and would love some feedback about the grow. My tie down method was rather heavy handed and not so elegant but necessary after one of the plants grew above the light. I was planning to start feeding them this weekend with Grow Big and vegging for a couple weeks, then taking some clones and vegging a couple weeks more to let them recover before going into flower. I still don't know if these are female or not so I'm risking it and planning to take clones so that if I have at least one female plant I can keep growing after this one.

Is there a way to determine sex before going into flower? Should I be trimming back some undergrowth? Do you think I can keep some clones alive if I leave them in the box to veg until I change over to flower and just move them onto my window sill? I'd love some feedback about the grow in general. I've been doing it fairly cheap and low stakes.

11/29
Just out of the soil after moving from the window sill to the freshly constructed box.

12/14
Before re-potting.

12/24
After re-potting.

1/7
Getting too tall after a period of just opening the box and watering for a couple weeks while I was busy.

1/15
About 5 days after a major tie-down overhaul.

1/15
This is the overall setup. Intake fan is in the bottom right back corner of the box blowing in from the side. Exhaust fan is in the top right corner blowing up. The third fan is just to move air inside the box. I have drip trays on the bottom of the box sitting under the wire shelf the pots are on.

Let me know what you think.

Re: First Grow - Random seeds and a CFL

I see plants are looking good and healthy. Good job.
I think you can determine sex only after switching to flower. If you want you may take clones sounds not bad.

I checked on the grow today after a little more tying back of the plants last night and a good portion of the light cycle. Tomorrow morning I'll feed them some grow big for the first time (probably only about 25-50% of the recommended concentration). I'll probably make a trip to the local hydro store for some cloning supplies like rockwool and rooting hormone and run by the hardware store for some supplies to set up a little clone box with a few low wattage cfls that I can later use as an early veg box. I want to make sure that I can get another grow going right away especially if I only end up with one female. I'll probably start some new seeds in some rockwool in the new clone box from my random bag seed collection just in case both of these are male and I have to start from scratch. Speaking of which, I took a couple pictures of some more mature node sites. What do you think? The more purple, bushier, more indica looking plant may have some pollen sacs going. Hoping when I switch to veg in a few weeks we have two females but it's still up in the air. These plants are still in an 18/6 6500k lighting schedule but are now about 7 weeks old from breaking the soil.

This is the lighter, more sativa looking plant that grew much more stretched out. In this picture you can barely see but it maybe has a hair or two starting beneath the pointed growth node. I'm hoping female.

This is the more purple, indica looking plant that has always been very bushy and hearty. It looks like it may have early pollen sacs and be a male. I'm hopeful that when I go into flowering in a few weeks I will be proved wrong and have a female here with this hearty plant.

Any opinions on sex? Thoughts on my cloning plan into a separate veg box with probably 3x26 watt 6500k cfls?

Hope all is well in your world.

Is this grow still alive?

We would love to be updated with some pictures and info.

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read our Photo Gallery Tutorial.

I am moving this to Abandoned Journals until we get updates.

Sending you lots of love and positive energy.

:Namaste:

From what I'm seeing in the nodes there are pistil looking hairs or as I call em pricklies. No pun of course but I'd just keep an eye on em just in case. My Females all had similar looking nodes as well. So, Don't panic just yet. I have some pics of my lovely ladies in stages of all sorts of node shots I'm sure there are a couple or three similar to yours

IMG_007160.JPG

IMG_007158.JPG

IMG_006765.JPG

IMG_014045.JPG

IMG_9462_1_.JPG
IMG_9483_1_.JPG
IMG_0510_1_2.JPG
IMG_0900_1_1.JPG

:thumb::welcome:

Sorry for the drop off in posts. I had a lot going on and was super high at all times in between. On the plus side I took pictures almost every day so I have some nice shots for you on the update. I switched to flower 12/12 light cycle under a 125watt 2700k CFL on 1/23.

About a week or so in I was pretty sure the plant on the right was a male. I took him out of the cabinet shortly after when I was sure.

The plant on the left is a female and is doing pretty well. This is her at 2/17.

I let her get way too big before flowering considering my box height. A couple days ago I arrived home after work to find the fan had been blowing a really nice bud against the light all day and totally burned it up. So today I went ahead and dropped my shelf all the way to the floor to give the plant a bit more space. I've got a half dozen or so clones that have been topped between 1 and 3 times each about ready to go into the left side of the cabinet sometime this week when they bounce back from the last topping. I'm going to try to rig up a scrog net on that side to help control this next round a bit better now that I have a better idea of how this particular strain is growing. I've also got another small round of clones and some more seedlings going from other bag seed.

This is the plant at 2/25

This is today 2/28. The main kola is now just below the light lever after dropping the shelf.

And here is my clone/seedling/veg box under a pair of 23 watt 6500k CFLs with the first two rounds of clones. Most of which have been topped more than once. There is also a new round of clones from topping the clones that are sharing cups for now. Also have a couple new seedlings and one that is a bit older from a round of seeds I started then neglected and lost all but 1 plant. There is also one clone in the back left from the male plant that I am giving to a friend of mine who happens to be a plant nerd but doesn't smoke. He just wants to grow one for fun.

What do you think of the grow so far? I've been feeding the fox farms feeding schedule of grow big, big bloom, and tiger bloom to the flowering plant. Everything is growing in fox farms ocean forest so I haven't been feeding much early on. I just realized I'm about 5 weeks into flowering so I guess I'll need to get a microscope or something in a few weeks to start checking on these buds. Still no idea of the strain but it definitely is growing lanky and with nice long, thin leaves like a sativa. I am considering wiring up another mogul base for my other 125 watt 6500k light and running it in the flower box with the 2700k. What do you think?

So this girl has now been in flower for 11 weeks. I quick dried a little popcorn bud and smoked it a few days ago and it did give me a little head high without feeling racy or speedy. As this is my first grow, I'd love some advice about when to harvest. I anticipated harvesting by now and am hoping I'm not missing the window or just getting underdeveloped buds from not enough light or nutes or something. Let me know what you think.

This is a smaller bud near the middle of the plant.
20160407_084148.jpg

This is an overall shot.
20160406_143159.jpg

This is the best shot I could get of a little snipped leaf through the scope I bought.
20160409_135845.jpg

Any help or input is appreciated. I've been doing a bunch of reading about the drying and curing process and it is making me anxious to chop this bud.

Heya Slo, Shemed that I havent seen this journal sooner. Truely friggin impressive job you have done with only 125 watts bud! :high-five: You are really close to the harvest window. You still have quite a few white hairs still popping out. The trichs on the leaves arent a very helpful indicator as to the maturity of the plant but it IS helpful to observe. Id say you are about 5% amber on the leaves. This should make somewhere around 65-70% clear on the buds still. Id say in confidence that you have atleast another 7-10 days before the window is "open" Let her grow with regular feeding/watering til next weekend then have another look bud. It should put ya right at flushing time. :thumb:

Hey Stihl Logger,
Thanks for the input on this girl. I'm so ready to chop and start the drying/curing process. It's good to hear I'm actually pretty close to the harvest window. I've got a bunch of clones ready to go into the flower box in her place and I've got a few more seedlings going as well. I'm planning to grab some wire and fit a scrog screen in there to keep the plants down and really maximize the canopy for the cfl. Eventually, a perpetual harvest setup would be nice but I need to get the hang of things with some variety of bag seeds before I'm confident enough to start buying seeds or clones with a more dependable growth timeline. I'll keep updating this journal as I approach harvest and move the next round of ladies into the flower box.

Just took some fresh pictures including some close-ups through the scope of the trichomes on a piece of bud from one of the mid-size nugs in the middle of the plant. Let me know what you think.

20160413_083636.jpg

20160413_083623.jpg

20160413_195024.jpg

20160413_200802.jpg

20160413_200724.jpg

20160413_200706.jpg

If those are middle of the plant buds you are in the "window" . Depending on the buzz you are looking for.. I am seeing aprox 5% amber 60% cloudy 35% clear.. Right now you have an uppity clear head buzz, fading to the body. If ya want a couch session turtle food, Id let her go a week and then start flush.. Personally Id flush her.. Stuff her ass in the dark on the 18th and chop on 4/20.. :high-five:

Just wanted to post a few pictures from today. This is the last light these buds will get until I chop 4/20. The buds have fattened up a bit since the last update and I'm hoping this last couple days of dark will help with a nice boost in frosty resin. I'm anxious to get this plant trimmed and drying so I can make some changes and prep the box for the next grow. I'm going to fit a screen in there and add in my other 125 watt bulb and likely put a fan back at the intake for fresh air to keep the box recirculating faster. Anyway, let me know what you think of these buds.

Harvested on 4/20. What a glorious day. After a couple days of darkness, I cut her down, got everything trimmed up and hung up in the box to dry before curing. The buds aren't super dense but they're quite sticky and fairly large. Let me know what you think.

Just an update of the new plants in the flower box. There are 8 plants total, 4 wide, 2 rows deep. The back 4 are clones from the plant I just harvested. The front 4 are new from seed, and all 4 have turned out to be female!

This is the current situation in the flower box.

And this is a close up of one of the bud sites on one of the new seedlings.

I added the veg bulb from the last grow back into the flower box so this time around it's a 125watt 6500k CFL and a 125watt 2700k CFL. The temp is a little warm but I think I will either add another exhaust fan or just get a more powerful one and upgrade it.
Let me know what you guys think.

Also here are a couple shots of the bud from the last harvest a couple weeks into curing.

It's starting to smell quite good.

Hope all is well in your world.

Thanks for sharing this grow with us.

Please head over to the 420 Strain Reviews forum and post your smoke report there too.

I’m moving this to Completed Journals now.

Have you started a new grow you would like to share with us?

If so, please feel free to start a new journal here: Journals in Progress

You can use the Report Post feature found at the bottom left of every post and we'll move it for you right away.

Sending you lots of love and positive energy.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom